Is it the Masked Lady or the Masked Lord?

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Bergeth'fryn
Regular

Is it the Masked Lady or the Masked Lord?

Post by Bergeth'fryn »

I believe devoutly that The Lady Of The Dance dominated the Masked Lord, but there are some very logical arguement to the contrary... What is your opinion?
Back home, we used to eat those things you call nightmares.
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Post this in either General Discussion, or Theological Debate.
:3
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Moved.

As the the answer,we are told masked Lady. This could be a trick of the Masked Lord, however until last book comes out it appears very unlikely we will know more.
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

yeah i think it 's the masked lady . i think this develpment has pissed off all of our vahaurn followerer which is why we don't see much of them any more
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I personally think Masked Lady (or I would hope so at least). But I can see them saying something like deities not truly having any gender (and that it's neither/both) or leaving it in question as some kind of plot thing. I do hope they make it clear one way or the other though since stories should come from characters, not from the deities being an ambiguous mess.

As it is I think that currently it stands as Masked Lady with her pretending to be Masked Lord for those Vhaeraunites not happy about the change. Of course, it could also be that the Masked Lord is really Ghaunadaur oozing into things and trying to get a piece.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

O think we've more or less descussed this somewhere else. Or am I mistaken?
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

hmmm

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

For the sake of RP can one choose to follow the Masked Lady, a combination of Vhaeraun and Eilistraee? This new persona of her intrigued me.
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: hmmm

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Inriiaynrae Jaelre":119vc0te]For the sake of RP can one choose to follow the Masked Lady, a combination of Vhaeraun and Eilistraee? This new persona of her intrigued me.[/quote:119vc0te]

Well considering that she died shortly after, there is only a short time span in which to play in. There again there is always the option to worship a dead deity, sometimes they do come back to life.

As to RP here, you certainly can follow the Masked Lady. Canon does not really apply.
Moriquenti
Maid
Maid

Post by Moriquenti »

I think that we don't really need what WotC says about Eilistraee.After all everyone of us started to play as a Drow (not only Eilistraee's followers) as we saw it in the books.Personaly i play from ADnD a follower of Eilistraee.

I think that this site was created in the path of that (now seems) old mythology with love for one specific deity...

We don't need to argue or trouble our heads what to do now.We don't need a corporation to limit our fantasy and imagination

For me this matter never opened because i play in another world with borrowed gods and races from Forgotten Realms

I talked with my DM about the "death" of Eilistraee and the respond was: "I don't care.In my world such bullshits don't appeal"

Personaly i never found the Forgotten Realms world interesting to play in...I don't like it.I don't like the idea of a corporation saying where is the house of this one and where you can find that one...I find my DM really capable of writing these things on his own

So i suggest to all of you that you find yourself troubled either to continue as nothing of this happened or just convert to another world where noone deside the fate of your faith or your race except your DM...

And after all it's a game that all of us loved and dreamed in it..I don't understand what a world is this that Gods die like mortals and every day...Live your myth and let no outsiders interfere...

With best regards
Bereavest me of sleep, makest me wander under thy light...
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

well said Moriquenti, utimatly its up the the player and the DM

i persionlyy am a bit intriuged by the ide of the masked lady alothe id water it down just a bit (after all eilistraee killed and stole his porfilo not the other way around)
Moriquenti
Maid
Maid

Post by Moriquenti »

On this matter i believe that the portfolio Eilistraee took from Vhaerun shouldn't change her at all.Gods cannot change alignment like mortals do...I think it would be better if the followers just submit to the whims of the new deity having their portfolio...I don't like this story...All it was written just to open the path for eilistraee's end...I will just ignore all this...
Bereavest me of sleep, makest me wander under thy light...
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

When i was reading the book series, what appealed to me was males and females united (more so than before). They go thru Cavatana (sp?) and her dealing w/ males involved and apart of ceremonies and her change in thinking.
and the roguish parts added to her portfolio are a bonus. :D
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
Thalon Mercrow
Resident

Post by Thalon Mercrow »

well put! :), the whole males and female clerics (semi) united in there god/goddes service also appeled to me.

i also liked the rogush parts, even thoe i fell in love with the whole moondancer/bard aspect of her the incorpation of vahaurns profile appealed to me in the fact that thalon is a sorts of stlealth orianted chacter. basicly with this version of her i cane combine my love of the moondancer/bard/hunter aspect of here with the shdowy rouge ish modis op that i use thus maeking the silent stalking hunter arctype.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Adding that up we have a bard/moondancer/hunter/rogue/shadowy stalker archetype. ;p
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I see the Masked Lady as perhaps a bit darker version of Eilistraee; perhaps a Dark Knight to Eilistraee's Batman. More willing to stealth and sneaky tactics, not any more evil as such, but more shadowy. And of course, for me, a benefit of the Masked Lady is that it definitely has gender equality (where Eilistraee always leaned more to the feminine and Vhaeraun leaned more to the masculine).

I can see an argument for shifting the Masked Lady's alignment more towards evil though; after all with the influx of Vhaeraun's old followers, many of whom are evil, she almost has to switch to Chaotic Neutral, which rather destroys a big aspect of what I find interesting about Eilistraee to begin with. So if taking that lore (which I don't have any direct intention to, though I can see it as some optional rule in the future) then I'd take it that she's still as good as ever and leaving it to the evil followers whether they'd want to switch alignment or deity.

Another option would be to allow some exception for CE followers of the Masked Lady (much as we allow LG followers), but I find that much harder to justify (considering how good-oriented Eilistraee is) than I find LG. After all, Eilistraee (Masked Lady or not) is goddess of good drow (I always saw CN followers as "on their way to good"). That's the purpose she was originally created for (in my mind); as a beacon for drow to move away from evil.

If she is not that as Masked Lady then it's not really Eilistraee.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee