Back to the Avendrow, this time for a different reason.

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Back to the Avendrow, this time for a different reason.

Post by Leema Har'gachi »

I still being feuding rage mode about how Wotc has been treating Eilistraee and her fallows decided to type the Avendrow suck into google and this is what I just found.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/drow-lineages-53048321
It is basically a playtest material that gives playable states for udadrow, Lorendrow, and avendrow for 5th edition. If you go to the Avendrow description it explicity mentioned that the avendrow are the redeemed drow from the Lady penitent series and that they actually worship Eilistraee. I don't recall her being mentioned once in the book let alone indirectly described as such. *Deep Inhale fallowed by a sigh*.

So then what are your thoughts, feel free to read the Pdf it actually pretty well written.
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Re: Back to the Avendrow, this time for a different reason.

Post by Irennan »

"Jaralxle's Bag of Everything" isn't an official book, though, so this material isn't either. Anyway, that pdf doesn't say that the aevendrow are the brownified drow from LP, it just says that 1)they kept worshipping Corellon even after being banished 2)they reconciled with the Seldarine thanks to Eilistraee's work 3)they now worship her. So, in this playtest document they're basically fans of Corellon whom he noticed because Eilistraee made him to. Regardless, Eilistraee has always worked to reconcile drow and other elves, unrelatedly to LP (which WotC has retconned and is extremely unlikely to even acknowledge, unless they want new backlash for how they treated the drow and other races in the past).

If it can make it any better, though, Eilistraee is surprisingly mentioned in Salvatore's upcoming book as the patroness of an aevendrow paladin. Extremely little, but at least we now know for sure that she is still part of the canon lore.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Irennan wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:17 am "Jaralxle's Bag of Everything" isn't an official book, though, so this material isn't either. Anyway, that pdf doesn't say that the aevendrow are the brownified drow from LP, it just says that 1)they kept worshipping Corellon even after being banished 2)they reconciled with the Seldarine thanks to Eilistraee's work 3)they now worship her. So, in this playtest document they're basically fans of Corellon whom he noticed because Eilistraee made him to. Regardless, Eilistraee has always worked to reconcile drow and other elves, unrelatedly to LP (which WotC has retconned and is extremely unlikely to even acknowledge, unless they want new backlash for how they treated the drow and other races in the past).
true, I was just taken a back by this since the whole starlight enclave book made the aevendrow act like eilistraeen, but without Eilistraee never been mention in book. I did actual buy Jaralxle's Bag of Everything just to look at all the many Eilistraee themed options for 5th edition they wrote and while it is a few well written and mechanically balanced book. Only a hand full of the features mentioned for the Eilistraee themed options really felt like they fit, though I was glad darksong knights and the Silverhair knight both got a mention and both feel close to how they appeared in 3.5, though darksong knights are strangely a ranger subclass, but the oath of the Silverhair does make sense for paladin. I was also saddened that they didn't choose to bring any of the Eilistraee spells into 5th, I see a few lolth spells like drider form, but that was basically ally the deity spells they have.
Irennan wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:17 am If it can make it any better, though, Eilistraee is surprisingly mentioned in Salvatore's upcoming book as the patroness of an aevendrow paladin. Extremely little, but at least we now know for sure that she is still part of the canon lore.
Strange, I know of the paladin in question. She was a pretty major character in starlight enclave, but when they did make a brief mentioned of her deity in was in reference to cattebrie goddess Milikii, pretty sure I just butchered the spelling of both names . One of the other Aevendrow on the counsel asked the paladin "isn't she like your goddess?" and the paladin's reply was basically, "Yes, their closely related". Which I had taken to mean another goddess who claims nature as their domain. So does that mean that Eilistraee officially has a presence with the Aevendrow, also you wouldn't happen to have a link to where you read this?
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Re: Jarlaxle's book, it's fan content anyway, you're better off converting the spells you want to see yourself. You can keep the fundamental functions and flavor of the spells, and retool them to fit the 5e spell design (which isn't that different from previous editions anyway). It's not like converting something from or to 4e, which is an entirely different game.
Leema Har'gachi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:35 pm
Strange, I know of the paladin in question. She was a pretty major character in starlight enclave, but when they did make a brief mentioned of her deity in was in reference to cattebrie goddess Milikii, pretty sure I just butchered the spelling of both names . One of the other Aevendrow on the counsel asked the paladin "isn't she like your goddess?" and the paladin's reply was basically, "Yes, their closely related". Which I had taken to mean another goddess who claims nature as their domain. So does that mean that Eilistraee officially has a presence with the Aevendrow, also you wouldn't happen to have a link to where you read this?
It's from the upcoming book that I got from a friend who regularly has access to the previews of RAS' books.
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Irennan wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:51 pm
It's from the upcoming book that I got from a friend who regularly has access to the previews of RAS' books.
oh, I guess I should check amazon to see if the page for the book has a preview pdf. I don't think it did when I check it out four months ago.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Leema Har'gachi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:59 pm
oh, I guess I should check amazon to see if the page for the book has a preview pdf. I don't think it did when I check it out four months ago.
My friend got that info from the ARC of the book. They posted on Candlekeep (check near the bottom of the page): https://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp? ... hichpage=1
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Irennan wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:18 pm
Leema Har'gachi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:59 pm
My friend got that info from the ARC of the book. They posted on Candlekeep (check near the bottom of the page): https://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp? ... hichpage=1
Thanks.
Lesteraction
Maid
Maid

Post by Lesteraction »

The paladin in question is someone I know. She was a significant character in Starlight Enclave, but the only time her deity was briefly referenced, it was in relation to the Cattebrie goddess Milikii. I'm pretty sure I just mispronounced their names. The paladin's response to the question "isn't she like your goddess?" from another Aevendrow on the council was basically "Yes, they are related." which I interpreted to indicate another deity who claimed to rule over nature. Do you have a link to the article where you read this? If so, does that mean that Eilistraee is formally associated with the Aevendrow.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Lesteraction wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:41 pm The paladin in question is someone I know. She was a significant character in Starlight Enclave, but the only time her deity was briefly referenced, it was in relation to the Cattebrie goddess Milikii. I'm pretty sure I just mispronounced their names. The paladin's response to the question "isn't she like your goddess?" from another Aevendrow on the council was basically "Yes, they are related." which I interpreted to indicate another deity who claimed to rule over nature. Do you have a link to the article where you read this? If so, does that mean that Eilistraee is formally associated with the Aevendrow.
Uh, I mean, in Galcier's Edge Salvatore outright says that Eilistraee is Galathae's goddess, so yeah, Eilistraee is indeed canonically associated with the Aevendrow, as one of their deities.
James
Maid
Maid

Post by James »

Although it is a few well written and technically balanced books, I did really buy Jaralxle's Bag of Everything just to look at all the various Eilistraee related alternatives they developed for the 5th edition.