Veil of Madness

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Vorrick
Maid
Maid

Post by Vorrick »

Surprised by the appeance of the human and even more by the arrival of the wolves Vorrick could not react before the battle was over. Rushing to Alaunavin's side he checked the bite wound. It did not seem to be bad but it was beyond his abilities to fix.

Vorrick stared in the direction the wolves had gone. Part of him wanted to run after them, hunt them down, but he knew that would be futile; he was no woodsman or tracker and even if he was this Drow lord would probably have more powerful creatures defending him.

Stepping away from Alaunavin so those with more skill can help her shoulder Vorrick finds a smooth stone about the size of he hand. Taking his dagger Vorrick makes a small cut in the tip of his index finger and begins drawing an arcane symbol on the stone. Vorrick had not learned much of the arcane but his father had made sure he knew the strength of his own blood.

As he draws the symbol he begins mumbling what his father had told him, "All of our line from father to son shall inherit the First's blood until the 100th generation." Smiling to himself Vorrick added, "50 generations of power, and I'm the first to use it."
I never stab people in the back, it's much more pleasurable to be able to see the expression on their face.

Usstan xunus ol, Usstan saphun ol, lu''Dorn xun ol ''sohna
BaravarImrathiln
Maid
Maid

Post by BaravarImrathiln »

A testament to the Ranger's training, skill, and experience, Baravar's weapons had almost appeared in his hands. Patwin had put paid to most of them, followed by the spectral wolf and the Bear-creature. He hadn't yet done anything with his swords today, though he was getting rather more practice drawing them than he'd expected to when he'd ended his trance just before dawn.

The swords disappear back into the scabbards as the phantom flees, and Baravar picks up the saddlebags that had dropped off his shoulders as he'd drawn his weapons. He mutters a little under his breath, but he doesn't elaborate on his mutterings. The Ranger does spare a short moment to toss a bundle of dried fruit toward Vorrick, figuring the warlock could use something to eat once he was done mutilating his fingertips.

Then, he kneels beside Alaunavin, silent and sure. He'd have to spend a day or three replacing the supplies he'd used up this morning, but this crew seemed to be more injury prone than most he'd encountered recently. Baravar remained unconvinced of the deity's actual presence within Alaunavin, finding it more likely that the girl suffered from something less divine and more self-inflicted than divine possession.

He doesn't wait, though, going to work with the flask of liquor given him by Vorrick earlier, cleaning the wolf-bites. The bite could be poisoned, but the alcohol would clear out most of the chance of disease. Unfortunately, the wounds are not small, or neatly made. So he sighs a little and puts another handy spell to use. He does not have many of these, and he dislikes being forced to use them, but he doesn't feel comfortable using a needle-and-thread here in the open. So he runs his first two fingers over the wounds, the fingertips glowing with a similar, soft blue light. The wounds should close as the fingers pass over them.

"You should be fine, but let's try not to make a habit of this, yeah? And don't go working yourself into a frenzy until that's fully healed. Take it easy for a few days and don't get pushy about it. Magic only goes so far, and if you push, you'll open it back up again."
I do not love the bright Sword for its sharpness,
nor the Arrow for its swiftness,
nor the Warrior for his glory.
I love only that which they defend."
~ JRR Tolkien
silke_rahn
Regular

Post by silke_rahn »

OOC: opps did not realize you posted a reply to what I originally posted before I edited it. Should have waited. Guess I will and a new segment now and have Patwins spirit guardian back off from Phantom when Eilistraee intervenes.

IC: Gray Wolf, Patwin's spirit animal and guardian sensed the presence of another spirit, a strong benevolent spirit, a goddess. His eyes cocked up to see Alaunavin now the avitar of Eilistraee reached down and touch his prey on the head. Gray Wolf stopped trying to kill Phantom, but he did not release him until after Eilistraee had placed the message in the demon wolf's head.

Almost as soon as Eilistraee spoke Wenedhelriel ceased drawing off the power of the demon wolf Phantom.

"Don't worry the power will return, but it will be weak enough for everyone to get away from it."

Wenedhelriel's Elvish was strangely accented, but understandable.

"I would suggest letting it go back to its master from a safe distance. Silke I met up with Andrea and she told me where you were and that Patwin had come to meet you. The she wolf creature has tended to your father as Patwin has likely said, but not even I with my leech craft can do anything for him now."

Patwin looked at the dark elven ranger as he ministered to Alaunavin's wounds. Then he walked over to Silke who had stepped up close to Wenedhelriel and her animal companions. Two ravens, one black, one white, a large brown grizzly like bear, and a lynx stood around the elven Lore-Master with the crows standing on the back of the bear.

"Nice to see you caught up with us Wene. Where have you been?"

"I have been to Candle Keep on the Sword Coast south of the port of Baldur's Gate. I have been learning to control my magics better in this world. They are not as easy to control for me here as on Eriador where I came from. The mages and scholars at Candle Keep helped me to contorl the powers of my spells here."
Drow on the Surface face as many dangers as those in the Underdark. Just because the Rivvil is friendly does not mean he wishes to help you, he may just want to get you off guard before knifing you.
Vorrick
Maid
Maid

Post by Vorrick »

Letting the bundle hit the ground as he cannot risk a mistake Vorrick finishes the arcane symbol on the stone. He begins a magic incantation that causes him to radiate briefly with a dark aura. As the incantation draws to an end Vorrick squeezes his fingertip so that a single drop of blood hits the center of the symbol. The symbol flares with a bright light and the stone rises up to at eye level with Vorrick. From the stone comes a noticably demonic voice speaking in Common, "WHO DARES CALL ON ME!?"

"Honoured First I am Vorrick Marskaun 50th of your line, I require your assistance."

"LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE ONE OF YOUR LINE HAS REQUESTED ANYTHING FROM ME. WHAT DO YOU OFFER CHILD OF THE DARK?"

"A renewal of the pact made with the birth of your son, and a promise that all my heirs til the end of your line shall honour it."

There is a long moment of silence and Vorrick noticably starts to shift on his feet. Finally the voice says, "WHAT DO YOU REQUIRE CHILD?"

"There is a demon in the guise of a wolf that has set itself against me. I would know more of my enemy so next I face him I can kill him or bind him to my will. I ask and await the will of the First."

"IT SHALL BE DONE."

The stone floats down to Vorrick's hand and the light from the symbol gathers into a single ball. Vorrick points in the direction the demon-wolf went and the ball shoots in after it. Falling to his knees Vorrick carefully places the stone into a pouch at his belt. Gathering the bundle of dried fruit Baravar had thrown at him Vorrick nods appreciatively at the ranger and begins eating a piece.
I never stab people in the back, it's much more pleasurable to be able to see the expression on their face.

Alaunavin_Arabana
Maid
Maid

Post by Alaunavin_Arabana »

As Alaunavin allows the ranger to fix her... she stares in a blank to the ground... A change has been happening to her as she met each of these new friends. But she wonders if it is good, she has not used so much magic before, and she does not know if she can keep emitting so much more.

Alaunavin knows there is one more thing she needs to do before she can rests like how the ranger ordered her. Her eyes began to glow, and it was her not the Dark Maiden as she spoke, "I have one final task that I need to do before I can abide by your request, my friend." She stood up looked to each one in the band then looked to Dash, who looked like he did not even know her. With one step forward she hears Lily come through the bush, tired, but happy to see her. Lily stops and like Dash.. looked like she did not recognize her friend.

She was not herself after all that had happened with in that day or two. Alaunavin needed rest from using her magic and she knew it deep with in. But she could not stop herself for wanting to help someone who was in great need of help. She remembers what her Master had said, "Your going to kill yourself by trying too hard to help someone else, Alaunavin. That won't help the others if your in a group." She was thinking afterwards he is right, but he is suffering in ways she could only see in a nightmare.

Once she found Silke's Father and other companion she sat by the man who is laid down. A tear falls as she looks to this mans spirit and to see how torn he is. Lily comes and notices her sister is not doing well, she is straining to keep her self in check. Lily lays down and rests her head on her friend whining for her to take it easy. As for the human man will be fine, but Alaunavin did not listen to her sister, but pets her on the head and says, "Rest sister, everything will befine." She did not look into her sister wolf's eyes as she knew she was lying to herself as she looked to the man which head is rested in her lap.....
silke_rahn
Regular

Post by silke_rahn »

Andrea Maine looked at Alaunavin as she first knelt by Hans Friedrich Rahn, then as she sat down and moved Hans' head to rest in her lap. Andrea moved closer to her friend's father and the dark-haired dark-elf that began to use energies drawn from within and from nature to mend the soul of this poor broken man. She then began quietly to pray to her god.

"Father, help this one who seems to be a servant of yours heal my friend. Not my will, but in your son's name your will be done, amen."

Silke had came up next to her father. She saw Eilistraee in the form of Alaunavin had begun to heal her father. She heard Andrea say her prayer to her god. Andrea had spoken it just barely above a whisper, but Silke heard it just the same.

"My, friend the well being of my father is in the hands of your god and my goddess now. In the case of Eilistraee my father is litteraly in her hands and lap it seems. I think that he will survive. Though he never in my life on this world forsook his god, he did come to respect the Dark Maiden. Now I can see the Lady of the Dance is returning that favor and helping him to battle the demons that have ravaged his soul. It is in Eilistraee's hands now."
Drow on the Surface face as many dangers as those in the Underdark. Just because the Rivvil is friendly does not mean he wishes to help you, he may just want to get you off guard before knifing you.
Vorrick
Maid
Maid

Post by Vorrick »

Moving to stand behind Alaunaving Vorrick places his hand on her shoulder. Bending to whisper in her ear he says, "As you were there for me in my moment of weakness I shall be here for you now."

Crouching behind her so his head is level with hers he continues, "I am sure you will be fine because I have seen your strength. You were able to see past who I was and help me. You knew nothing of me other than I had been through pain and that I was more than willing to kill and you didn't care, you healed me and even in my madness you would not cast me away. That is strength and it is because of that strength that you will survive."

Alaunavin_Arabana
Maid
Maid

Alaunavin's eyes still glowed with the magic of her own flowing through her as she placed her hands on both sides of the temples of the man that rests in her lap. "I do this on my own free will. I do this for the love of life, peace, and truth behind the pain one feels. This is my power I possess that even the Gods are jealous of. I choose to share them with those I pass in my journey." Alaunavin speaks with a quiet whisper to all that are listening.

Dash sits next to his sisters, Lily who is now laid down next to Alaunavin. Emitting her powers to her dear sister to help in this process, for it is one herself who shares the same gift. When their powers join it is a wonderful sight. One can be lucky to witness the magic from these two.

Lily's eyes glow the same color of her sister, as she reaches her paw and places it upon the chest of the human. The pack surrounds the group and start a howling circle, something that is not seen often except in healing circles.

Alaunavin calls out to her wolf friends and family as forms of the past wolf family's come back to life as spirits that could be seen. What looks to be a dance of the spirit wolves as the pack sings out when Alaunavin digs deep into the father of Silke. She lets everyone know to stand back and not to get in the way of the spirits, for she did not know what would happen if they entwined with their living spirit.

Eilistraee sat back and watched through Alaunavin's eyes, 'She was right when she said we are jealous' with a smile upon her face she sits in the shadows of her mind.

Tears come from Alaunavin's eyes as she works on mending this mans mind and spirit. She does not know if she could do this alone, yet the Goddess said to her 'I am sorry but I can not help here, only you can do this my child..' Her eyes glowed brighter as the tears came with each passing moment... "This will take much time... Please I will need something to replenish my energy in a few minutes.. a tea perhaps would be good." She prayed Vorrick was right bout the strenght as she felt him kneel behind her, She did not look only sensed it from him... It brought a smile to her as she worked.
BaravarImrathiln
Maid
Maid

Baravar pauses at the edge of the clearing to watch the proceedings. He could heal a body, but the mind was not his bailiwick. There was precious little for him to do here this time, so he sets his saddlebags down near Silke and turns back toward the other clearing. His departure so silent, his footfalls so silent that even in the hush of the moment in the Healing, Baravar seems almost to vanish into the forest without a trace.

He walks slowly back to the first clearing where he'd left his horse, and where Modi was likeliest to return with the Priestess. It was not likely to take long for the dragon to find the woman. It might take longer to convince her to return than it took to find her. But Modi was persuasive, when he wanted to be.

He walks over to his horse, stroking the mare's neck idly, listening to the world around him, at once a part of and separate from nature. Baravar, like all Faerunian Rangers possesses a deep bond with nature and its workings.

All of a sudden, the Ranger holds his left arm straight outward. A small cacophany of fluttering as the dragon returns to his companion. A short, almost smug trill indicates the presence of the Priestess Illorya.

"Well met, Priestess." Baravar turns toward her, a gentle smile on his handsome face. She startles, almost running away again, but a gentle word from Baravar stops her, though she shudders, still afraid.

"I'll not harm you. Nor, I suspect, would the others."

"But, h-he swore revenge if he ever saw me again...."

"I would not put too much stock in that. I was the one that sent the dragon after you, and you are under my protection for the time being." Baravar smiles and offers her his hand, his tone still soft and gently soothing. His red eyes hold no hardness, no edge.
"I am Baravar Imrathiln."

"I-Illorya Danan...." She extends a feeble, trembling hand to meet the Ranger's. "Y-you...You're not angry with me?"

"I've not been wronged by you." Baravar smiles and offers her a seat beside the embers of his small fire. He spends a moment or two restarting it, finding the scent and warmth were soothing.
"I have no reason to be angry with you, do I?"

"W-well...He was male...and...I-..." She falls silent, not sure how much he knows, but knowing herself all too well. "You're male too.."

"Yes. That much is true, as far as it goes." Baravar sits across the fire from her, watching her face with a gentle expression. "But you wronged him, not me. It is not for me to forgive you or not." He smiles gently. "But it is not for him to forgive, either. Yes, you did wrong him, it will do us no good to deny that."

She nods a little, sinking in her seat a little bit.
"Then....what do I do? I've lost the favour of the Dark Maiden..." She goes through the well-memorized motions of a simple spell, only to have it fizzle and fail on her fingerips. "I'm nothing now...Forsaken and alone."

Baravar looks at her a little bit.
"Were you always a Priestess of Eilistraee?"

Illorya gives him a peculiar look, as if the question was silly and unnecessary.
"No...I...I was not always a follower of the Lady of the Dance...And now...Now I am not welcome among their number."

"You are so sure of that, Illorya? You have not been beneath the circles of the sun for long, have you?"

"N-no...But...what does that have to do with anything?"

Baravar smiles gently and shifts closer to her, picking up a couple of stones as he does, showing one to her.
"What is this?"

"A stone...Flint?"

"Good." He smiles a little bit, and then chips the flint on the other stone. "And now?"

"Still a stone?"

"Yes. But is it the same stone?"

She gives him a quizzical look, not really comprehending.
"What do you mean? Of course it is...It hasn't left your hand since you showed it to me the first time..."

"True, but is it really the same stone? Has it not changed?" He holds up the chip he'd taken off of it, setting them both in his hand, the one beside the other.

"Well..." Illorya ponders this a moment, suddenly unsure of her answer. "No...it has changed...You chipped a piece off."

Baravar nods, smiling warmly, tossing the chip aside.
"Exactly. It's different now than it was when I picked it up." He proceeds to rapidly chip more bits off. In remarkably short order, he's made an arrowhead out of the flint, razor-sharp and perfectly shaped. Illorya watches, fascinated by the demonstration of a skill she'd never thought about before.

"Now, is it the same stone?" Baravar holds up the stone, startling her a little with his voice.

"No." Her voice is more confident in her answer now, having watched him shape the stone into its new form. "It's not...You've changed it...It's an arrowhead now..."

Baravar nods a little bit, handing her the arrowhead.
"We, all of us, all life, is like that stone. We are shaped, changed by the world around us. We are never the same from moment to moment." He closes her hand gently around the thing. "You are still rough, uneven around the edges. You are still trying to find your useful shape. For flint, there are not so many options. It will be a striker for fire, a knife, an arrowhead, or the blade of a spear. It has no other purposes, no other forms."

Illorya looks at him, her eyes downcast and saddened.
"Then...I'm...." A tear wells in her eye, only to be brushed away by the Ranger beside her.

"You are still rough around your edges, Illorya. Perhaps you are not meant to be a tool of the Dark Maiden. Perhaps you are not to be a knife blade." He smiles. "Perhaps you are. But you have not yet reached your final shape, I think."

She cocks an eyebrow at him, dubious of his proposition that the clergy isn't her future.
"I'm...I [i:z4htxdky]was[/i:z4htxdky]...a Priestess...I've always been a Priestess...What else is there for me? It's all I've ever been..."

"Did you watch as I made the arrowhead? Did it start out as an arrowhead?"

"No..."

"Why did I chip away the stone, why did I remove those parts that weren't helpful?"

"Because you had a purpose for it...Because that is how it is shaped?" Her questions are simple, but honest, attesting well to her character.

"Yes. I did have a purpose for it. But this arrowhead will never draw blood in anger, Illorya. Why did I show you how it was made?"

She stammers a bit, staring blankly into the heart of the flames, her thoughts lost in silence for a while.

"Because...it was not yet shaped...Because it needed guidance to come to its useful shape, to reach its purpose..."

Baravar nods silently, listening to the hiss of the flames. He offers no other confirmation than the simple nod. The Priestess smiles softly, though she is not at ease with the meaning of his lesson.

"So...what is my purpose? What is my useful shape?" Her voice quavers a little, nervous. She no longer fears this Ranger or his Dragon. The others she still fears, but she is beginning to trust Baravar. She feels lost, and it shows in her wide, liquid eyes.

"That, Illorya, is not for me to answer. Flint is simple, easy to guide and to shape. We are not such simple things." He pats her hand gently, meeting her liquid gaze with his own soft look. "No one can tell you what your useful shape will be."

"Oh..." She looks back to the fire, suddenly feeling adrift in the world again, more lost now in the wilderness of her soul than she had been in the forest around them.

"But, if you wish it, you may come with me, as a friend. Perhaps along the road you will discover your true shape. Perhaps you are already in your true shape, but there are still some small chips that need to be made. Either way, you need not be alone."
~ JRR Tolkien
Vorrick
Maid
Maid

Post by Vorrick »

Vorrick remained crouched behind Alaunavin despite her warning about the spirits. As he sat behind her he prayed under his breath so as not to distract her, “Eilistraee I beg you, as you have watched over me watch over her, and may any strength I have be given to her.”

As Vorrick prayed he felt himself growing angry. Angry at his inability to help someone who had done so much for him, angry at the demon-wolf for wounding her, and angry at himself for having taxed her so much earlier in her attempt to help him. As his anger rose he realized he might be able to help. Alaunavin had refused to embrace the darker aspects of their race and he had seen her strength in that, but he had always drawn strength from his darker impulses. Focusing on his anger letting it simmer and boil until he felt himself bursting with it he began channelling that anger into his power.

As Vorrick built up his anger more and more his eyes began to glow a bright red and his lips pulled back baring his teeth in a vicious snarl as a low growl escaped his throat. Still drawing in more anger he began slowly funnelling his power into Alaunavin. His was a power meant to destroy but he had used it often to heal himself and he knew that power was power and a skilled wielder could do anything with it. He kept the flow small so as not to overwhelm her but Vorrick had no doubt Alaunavin possessed the skill to turn his power to healing. As he continued funnelling power into the Drow woman in front of him he said aloud hoping Alaunavin could hear him, “Fury and serenity, life and death, sword and song, as the Goddess intended.”

Alaunavin_Arabana
Maid
Maid

Deep in her mending of this human man Alaunavin was getting weaken and almost to the point of breaking she refused to give in to failure. As she felt Vorrick sitting behind her, she gave a weak smile for having done well with him. She heard the growl coming deep with in him. Then, even though it was slight, she felt little strange. It was Vorrick he was channeling power to her to assist, just like Lily herself. But this power was angry.. a little confused but slowly understanding Alaunavin smile brighten and turned the power to her advantage.

Still feeling weak from the earlier from the day, she focused on his energy and let it do the work as she changed it from negative to positive energy. Alaunavin saw the change with in the humans mind and watched it carefully as she placed him back together in a more steady pace. He was difficult to heal, as this is the first time she had done this to a human, she has however, done this to a few creatures of the Dark Woods.

Lily was one and the reason why she has this ability. Some how Alaunavin played with this when she was trying to save Lily for she was abused by a human. Lily was a pet, but she was not treated with love and kindness, Alaunavin was angry when she learned what had happened to Dash's sister. Lily's spirit was broken and torn to shreds and with out thinking she went into Lily's mind and repaired her. That is why Lily is so trusting to humans and other elves, well part of. After all was done, it was as if the two were connected in a magical bond. So she was officially apart of her and basically hardly ever separated.

Alaunavin released on hand from the healing and reached for Vorrick's hand to let him know that he has helped her in more than one way. With that she pulled his hand around her and placed it where she originally had hers on the temple of Silke's fathers head. There they were working together to healing the father. Alaunavin felt positive energy coming from him more and more, and all she could do at that moment was to smile as the healing process was almost complete.
Vorrick
Maid
Maid

Post by Vorrick »

When Vorrick felt Alaunavin's hand touch his own he nearly jumped. He had been so focused on building his anger the sudden touch shocked him. Vorrick placed his free hand on the ground as Alaunavin moved his hand to Silke's father's head. As things stood he was blind, only able to see a red haze in front of him, and he needed support as he drew more and more on his power and felt the head of an unconcious man was not the best place to get it.

With his sight useless and his focus diverted Vorrick became more aware of what his senses were telling him. He was surprised to notice he could taste blood and realized he had bitten his own tongue. He could tell it was not serious, just a small wound where his snarling teeth had clamped on the tip. He could also hear his heart pounding in his chest and was surprised it did not burst out.

As Alaunavin put his hand on Silke's father's head Vorrick became faintly aware of the man's conciousness. It was weak but it was growing stronger and Vorrick continued to feed a trickle of his power into the man. As Vorrick slowly filtered his power into the man keeping it in the state Alaunavin had changed it to for fear of undoing what she had done he found himself empathizing with him. Perhaps it had been Silke's story, perhaps he felt some connection to him because he had been wronged by Priestesses of Lolth. Whatever it was he felt what he suspected Alaunavin felt; a desire to undo the damage, to make things right. He shrugged it off as his connection to Alaunavin affecting him.

"You're growing soft Vorrick," he said to himself. Despite his words his snarl was slowly taking on the appearance of a smile. For now he could afford to be soft.

Alaunavin_Arabana
Maid
Maid

Her eyes still focused upon the situation, Alaunavin could feel the change stronger in Vorrick. He did not know it, but he was doing all the work as she did not have to change this energy she was working with. She was still growing tired from the continued use of this healing and she did not know how much longer she could bare. All she could do was smile for the change with in Vorrick was turning out well. Alaunavin knew he would be fine in the future, she just wondered what he would be doing after all this was over. She did not want to see him leave.

Noticing she was losing her focus, she jumped back on target and started to repair Silke's fathers spirit. It was torn like shreds and did not look good for repair. A spirit of one of the wolves stopped right in front of her as she could see it as if it was sitting on the ground. Joining two different spirits is not the best sulition but deep down she thought the two fit. Before she acted she asked the Dark Maiden if it was a good plan.

"My child, if you believe it is well, then he should do fine as they seem to match well. Even I can not fix such a shredded spirit as that." Eilistraee looked to the wolf spirit and then too the man's and she let Alaunavin make the final decision.

Alaunavin looked to the others and said what she was going to do, if any of them disagreed she would try to fix the orginal one, but with no promise it will work. "I have seen your fathers spirit Silke and it does not look like i will be able to mend it on my own.. Yet I have a wolf spirit that is willing to be used for the process to mend him. Either way I can not promise it will work. I refuse to assume things will work when I am not positive since i have never done this before with a human... only with a wolf. So it it is your call, Silke." She looks to Silke, and then to her father, and back again waiting for her response as Lily looks to the wolf spirit. It was her father...
silke_rahn
Regular

Post by silke_rahn »

Silke looked down to her father then over to Alaunavin. Tears trickled down her cheeks. Shades of saddness were in her eyes. For once the hardened warrior looked vulnerable. Silke looked back to the man that helped to give her life.

"Do what you can, do what you must. I know that you will have done your best even if he passes from this world to the next."

Silke then places her left hand on Alaunavin's right shoulder for support. Suddenly the spirit of Eilistraee touched her. She felt a soothing warmth pass through her being from her soul outward.

"My child you need to help my servant just as she is helping your father. Lend her some portion of your strength to aid her. I will support you both."

Then Silke felt some of her strength being channeled into Alaunavin. Feeling drained from her sojourn and all the events of the past several months Silke then let her head rest on her hand and Alaunavin's shoulder while still looking at the face of her father.
BaravarImrathiln
Maid
Maid

[quote][/quote]

Illorya looks at Baravar a moment, her face an impassive mask, cloaking the roiling storm of confusion within her mind. Her Goddess had rejected her, but this one, this Male with the limp and the shock of red hair had offered his help and company, but had asked nothing in return. She knew he had seen her rejection, knew that he had saved her life already once this day, and perhaps twice. But why had he done so? What gain was there for him in her survival, or indeed, in her happiness, for him? Did he hope to become her favoured consort? She sighs, lost, and mutters to herself a moment before looking toward the Ranger again, her pale lavender eyes glittering.
"Resilsh nielquosthos nilt resilsh, Tarcari."^

Baravar smiles a little at the aphorism, 'help freely offered is not free'. Typically Drow sentiment. Utterly wrong in this case, but her appellation for him, 'High Emissary', also draws an amused look. He knows she means the Surface Realms, rather than his societal position. But he shrugs away her scorn and suspicion, looking toward the fire, but not into it.

"I gain nothing by aiding you. I do not serve the Lady of the Dance, and I care little for her teachings. She does not hold my heart as she does yours. But I cannot stand by and watch you die, lost in this vast upper world. But I cannot allow Eilistraee's declaration be the final chapter of your existence."

The Priestess looks at him, taken aback by his open admission of not being a follower of the Lady of Dance, or even of the darker deities of their kin.
"Why not? I took the vow that said my life was hers to do with as she desired. She refused my service, and with it, my life." Her voice rises with her temper, remembering her disgrace. She stands, towering over the seated Baravar. "What right have you to speak of the Will of Eilistraee, you who do not follow her ways, who care nothing for her teachings? How dare you speak to me of defying the Lady of the Dance!"

Baravar raises an eyebrow at her outburst, unfazed by her anger. It was to be expected, and it was not all directed truly at him. Some was for Eilistraee, some for herself, some for her situation, and then the remainder was for him. The Ranger doesn't rise to meet her, his anger not rising at hers.

"I respect the gods, Relira*, but I do not rely upon them, not even upon my own." He looks up at her, his face still calm as he brushes the red lock of hair back behind his pointed ear. "They are often as foolish as we are, having no greatness above our own save power." He smiles a little and pats the log a little again, offering it once more as a seat. "Despise me for an unbeliever if you so desire. But I have become what I am, and I have achieved what I have, not because I had the favour of my Patron, but by the strength of my own arms, and the aid of my friends. Indeed, I doubt Bahamut pays me much heed at all."

Illorya looks at him again, her anger fading in the face of his calm, easy manner. She does not sit again, preferring her present position, the sense of power that her height gives her. She knows she's shorter than he is, should he stand, but for now, she will take the sense of power that she can get.
"Who is this...'Bahamut'? I have never heard his name spoken by any before this moment...And he cares not that you pay him little heed, that you do not court his favour in all things?"

The Ranger shrugs a little.
"He is a god of Dragons, Illorya, not of Drow, or Men, or Elves. He grants me some spells, some powers, but he demands little of me, save that I respect his Children and aid them when they ask it of me."

"His Children?"

"The goodly Dragons are all his kindred."

"There are good Dragons?"

The Ranger smiles and nods gently.
"Aye, a great many. And more goodly beings you will rarely meet in this world, I suspect. Even our cousins of the Bright World around could learn from them, if they were to pay attention."

Illorya sits, stunned by this revelation. Good Dragons was a concept foreign to her, just as the idea of Good Drow was alien to her until very recently. If Dragons could be good creatures, and she had little cause to doubt this Ranger in that. He had travelled the world, served a god of Dragons, perhaps she was not a lost cause, even if her Goddess had cast her out.

But she had still been cast out, her vows refused, her faith rebuked. She sighs, closing her eyes as she turns her face to the flames.
"Why are you helping me, Ranger?"

"Because it is what my conscience demands of me. Because it is what Vorrick's conscience would demand of him, were he here."

She shudders a little bit at that memory, still vivid and seared into her mind. How close she had come to death she was not sure of, but she felt it had been a hair's breadth that separated her from that final doorway.
"He would kill me, if he knew I were here."

"No, he would not, though he has yet to forgive you, I think. He would not kill you now, not as you are. It is not this Illorya that he despises, but rather the Priestess you had been before today."

She sighs again, clutching the arrowhead he'd made for her, finding that cold, sharp bit of stone more spiritual and holy at that moment than any holy symbol she'd ever carried. It was not a goddess, a faith in some other power that this bit of flint represented. It was, to her at this moment, her self, her spirit. He had been so casual, so quick in its creation that she'd almost thought him careless. But that, somehow, did not fit with this Ranger. Everything he said, everything he did, had a purpose. Every move he made, every word he said was chosen with care. She takes a deep breath, holding the arrowhead close, looking into the flames.

A long moment of silence passes, broken only by the occasional rustling of the little dragon stalking twigs or a bug through the under brush nearby, and the small, warm crackling of the fire.

"Very well, Kalnor'ry*. I will go with you, and perhaps I shall find my shape on the Long Road."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
((*-"Relira" is approximately equivalent to "Traveller Arriving In Darkness"
((*-"Kalnor'ry is approximately translated as "Guiding Dragon"
((^-[i:jv09zd4t]Resilsh nielquosthos nilt resilsh, Tarcari.[/i:jv09zd4t]-Idiomatically translated is: "Help unasked for is never help"; or connotatively: "Help freely offered is not free"
((I thought I'd do some translating with the books I have...I hope no-one minds too much....I couldn't get a good translation with the script in the "Language" section...it kept leaving out important words. And edited once for spelling.))
~ JRR Tolkien