Founding a Facade

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

An arched brow turns on Veraka, as Kalkyril takes note of the (to her) very odd behavior. Calling upon innate powers of her kind... Pheurazath's kind, and focusing intently upon Veraka as he continues to behave so oddly, a 'Detect Magic' spell is cast, without even a gesture or word. Very convenient that that ability is not hindered by form.

After a short time, she sighs, suspecting what little she does discern is connected to her somehow. All the deceit, and simply attempting to be viewed by all except those trusted or too close to her to risk betrayal, as Kalkyril, the former Lolth priestess.

All she says then to Veraka, sounds of genuine concern, "Take care of yourself, Aasimar, I would hate to be losing your company so soon."

Then she looks to Sassandra, "Which way to my room?"
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

Looking up to see a face of concern etched into Kalkyril's face, Veraka nods, knowing, grimly, exactly what lurks below. He looks away from her, saying "you really wouldn't be losing of me, just gaining something of the unwanted nature."

With that, he turned away, only to come face to face with Zhay, who looked even more concerned, though his brow was furrowed at Veraka; "Let me ask you something?" he said in careful tone.

"Shoot," Veraka replies.

"Is this about what happened to you that night of the house war?"

Veraka lowered his eyes, knowing exactly what Zhay was talking about; "yeah," was all he said.
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

[i:23u5ex31]"I hope your friend, takes not too much offense at my distrust, I am uneasy of gnomes, for many a reason." [/i:23u5ex31]

"No, I don't think she'd be overly concerned at you wanting to put some distance between you both. In fact it's probably a good idea since you both are strong willed women and have already butted heads. Maybe once you have had a chance to get to know one another, you might find you have more incommon that what sets you apart," he added with a hopeful smile.

Meanwhile Saassandra was quietly waiting. She had notice the new arrival of Lothir and beckoned the drow bard over to her reception desk.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

[OOC: I've pinched this map from Zarae while she wasn't looking :p It sorta might help to orientate things]

[img:2mk4um3g]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125 ... athlar.jpg[/img:2mk4um3g]
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

He enters the inn cautiously, and is soon pleased to notice how extravagant and clean it is inside. "hmm, bet I'll pay a pretty copper or three in here..." he muses, then moves over toward the desk where the proprietress is engaged with a small group.

He spys a gnome female- his brows rise slightly at the sight, as he's met few gnomes, and never in the Underdark before- a human male, and what appears to be an aasimar. And two drow, one male a bit younger than himself, the other a pretty female. Though something about her manner seems- off. He steps up to the woman at the desk and waits until the others have finished, then asks her for a single room, a meal, and a bath. All without ever paying much attention to the others.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

{{OOC: Sorry for taking so long all the time. :( }}

Maryne's hand tightened momentarily around the glass when T'risstree questioned her about the male. She let out a sigh that sounded forced. "What you have said is true, dalninil. I have heard much the same from the other sisters at the temple, but ..." she paused for a moment, swirling her drink and taking a sip before continuing, "vinegar often gives you better results - these flies, they will know now who is the boss." She flashed T'risstree a grin, "Not to mention the honey is now safe for you to eat."

Taking another sip, she looked at T'risstree. Her tone was more serious when she shrugged and added, "Besides, I am afraid that I will lose it forever if that fool child leaves the city." Her free hand tightened into a fist, and she had to force herself to not slam it down on the table. "It is nothing more than a trinket, of course, but it belonged to my brother." Her voice quieted towards the end, and her eyelids closed for a few moments. "I don't have the time between the prayers and everything else to go looking for it. Most of the sisters there watch me with less trust than I would have had towards a sister in Arach Tinilith." She snorted, her eyelids fluttering open. Three years, and she hadn't even advanced to the lowest rank they had. She must be in a position they could watch her, she supposed. So much for trust. Their honey must have been laced with vinegar at the very bottom. "They managed to fool the fly." Her lip curled as she spat the last bit out bitterly, not even realizing she had said that out loud.

She turned to T'risstree, and went on as if nothing had happened, "And that man, can you believe, still says he cannot find a human - human! In a drow city! - child. It has been a [i:2g9u9hy1]week[/i:2g9u9hy1], and no sign of him. I'd know if he left the city. He hasn't yet, so why ..." she trailed off and shook her head. "Forgive me, sister, I must be boring you." She ran a hand through her hair and took another drink, draining her glass, wondering what she could ask to change the subject, and knowing that she had lost any chance of being discreet about it. "You mentioned love? You have a family up there?" She raised her gaze to the high ceiling of the city, as if she could see through the thousands of miles of rock.
This --->Image<--- is NOT a request.

Your hair is pretty like a tree.
T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

"Yes I mentioned love dalninil. As a matter of fact I can honestly say that I have loved and been loved by two very remarkable people....both human," she said with a far away look in her eyes.

She nodded as she saw Maryne's questioning look.

"It is true. The first love was given to me by my adoptive mother...a human witch named Shanilath who found me when I was but moments away from freezing to death in the wilds beyond the human city of Neverwinter. My house had been attacked and destroyed by followers of Vhaerun in my home city of Rilauven. My tutor in sword dancing, a male named Guldor, who'd brought me secretly into the faith of Eilistraee, and I had managed to escape the slaughter and had fled to the surface but we ran into a patrol of human soldiers. Guldor gave his life so that I may have a chance to escape. I wandered for days alone in the cold snow bound woods and started to starve to death. I had all but given up hope when I was rescued by Shanilath. The old woman found me as she was forging for food. She could have cut my throat there and then but instead, she took me into her home and nursed me back to health. At first I was confused and did not trust this woman but as the goddess teaches, repay kindness with kindness. We grew to know one another and over time, I grew to love this woman as a daughter would her mother."

She paused for a moment, thinking fondly of Shanilath.

"My other love is for a man, a human paladin of Torm no less." T'risstree's faced flushed slightly and her eyes shone as she recalled her time with him.

"Shocking isn't it?" she giggled with a merry laugh at Maryne. "Never the less, if you ever met him, I think you'd see why I lost my heart to this human male. I'm not sure if you've ever met a human paladin before but on the whole, they are a boorish stiff necked bunch of fanatical holy warriors...but he is different. He makes me feel...special...like I am the only one in the room. Of course it does also help that he's a prime speciemen of maleness, strong, powerful, very handsome and quite roguishly charming too. Just the sort of male any Matron mother would have been pleased to keep for breeding stock," she added with a sly grin.

"I had fallen head over heels for him you know? It was like being struck by lightning. I didn't plan for it and neither had he. It just...happenned." She sighed with a wistful look. "But fate decided to intervine and before we had a chance to formalise our union, I was sent down here by the High Priestess in the Temple at Skullport. I didn't even have time to say goodbye...." she trailed off as she suddenly felt the surge of repressed emotions welling up within her. She felt tears sting in her eyes. She blinked them away and breathed deeply to calm herself.

"In my heart though...I hope and I pray to the goddess...that we are still as of one heart. I may never see him again in this lifetime but I do thank the goddess that I have known what it is to be loved and cherished as a woman and for that I am grateful." She finished her brandy and looked back at Maryne. She laughed at herself.

"Ha! Listen to me...I'm carrying on like a silly foolish girl who should know better! I've been thinking only of myself when here you are focused on retrieving something that is precious to you. You say that vinegar gets results...perhaps sometimes it does...but I offer my aid freely to you in finding your human child thief who has stolen your keepsake. Is that not sweet enough for you?"
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

OOC: Oh gods, THIS is gonna get interesting :devil: 8)

IC:
Zhay stared his former teacher down, giving him that glare that said 'Tell me everything.'

Veraka wasn't a fool and knew that his former pupil and friend wasn't happy that he'd kept a secret from him; but Veraka also knew that his darker side wasn't something to go around blabbering about.

"Alright Zhay; you want to know about what happened all those years ago. I'll say this, if it wasn't for my affliction, I wouldn't be standing here in front of you this day."

The young drow looked stunned and was about to speak when the aasimar raised a hand and silenced him.
"We'll speak more of this later, I promise you that, but until then, take what I've said and think about it." With that the aasimar turned and walked over to the Knight-Captain and took up a position next to him, Zhay trialling him.

"Well Knight-Captain, I don't know about you, but I would like to find our rooms if we could, I'm sure my friend Aurora is getting a little tired of hauling her and my kit."
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

[i:hh6m3rb1]"Well Knight-Captain, I don't know about you, but I would like to find our rooms if we could, I'm sure my friend Aurora is getting a little tired of hauling her and my kit." [/i:hh6m3rb1]

He nodded but hesitated as he noticed as what he thought was a face he had known from the past

"Please my lord," said Sassandra to Veraka with a soft smile before Talwyn had chance to reply, "if you would accompany Fae'liss, she will see you and your companions to you suites."

As she spoke another panel in the far wall slid noiselessly aside revealing a staircase that wound its way upwrds to the suites above. The drow girl named Fae'liss came forward and smiled to Veraka. Her appearance was unusual for a drow in that her hair was mostly firey red with a broad streak of silver running from the crown of her head down to her right side. Fae'liss waited for the guests to go with her.

Talwyn peered at the male drow who was also checking in.

"....Lothir? Is that you?" he asked uncertainly. He glanced back quickly to Veraka indicating they should go ahead without him.

[OOC: I can't really go much further here as I don't want to get too far ahead. Have to wait for Lothir to catch up with a response :p where are you Alystra? :'( ]

veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

"Thank you, ma'am," Veraka replied to Sassandra, giving a polite bow before signaling Aurora to come with him. Zhay followed immediately when Veraka raised an open hand in the air, then brought it down to his shoulder in a balled fist. Veraka returned Tal's nod and proceeded over to Fae'liss.

The three followed Fae'liss up the staircase, where they turned a corner, and were introduced to their suite in the hallway. Fae'liss unlocked the door and nodded to Veraka, handing the key to the aasimar.

Veraka gives a curt nod and proceeds inward as does Aurora; unstrapping they're gear, Veraka sets it down, keeping it organized. The winter wolf arches her shoulders, flexing them and stretching outward.

Zhay looked at his former mentor, "is now a good time?" he questioned.

"No; if I tell you, I want all the others to know about it also, as it is a threat to you as much as it is to them."

The young drow nodded, though still a little upset with his friend. He decided to switch topics.
"Hey, Veraka; could I ask you a question, this one more about that female, Kalkyril?"

"Sure; go ahead."

"Well," he hesitated at first, but a raise of a brow from the aasimar set him going; "she keeps on glaring at me, but in a, almost in flirtatious manner, and I'm not sure what to do about it," he stammered.

"I already tol. . "

"But there's more," Zhay spoke up, cutting Veraka off; "she even signed to me in drow silent that I should come and visit her, [b:3s9ndci6]privately[/b:3s9ndci6] when she got her own room established."
At this, Veraka's eyebrow's shot up, but after a couple of seconds, he gave off a low chuckle.

"You're asking me, of all people, what to do about a woman, a drow woman none-the-less, having the hots for you?" Veraka questioned his former student.

"Well, yeah; you're the closest person I have to a brother, and my mentor and my closest friend outside this city, but probably the best of 'em," he exclaimed, flustered.

"Come on, we can talk downstairs," Veraka said, opening the door. Aurora proceeded out the room and down the staircase. Veraka, followed by Zhay, went out the door, Veraka locking it. Then the two went down to the main lobby, Veraka talking with his former apprentice about his little 'situation'.
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

Maryne rested her cheek against her hand as T'risstree told her both stories. When T'risstree stopped herself, she reached out and laid her hand on the other drow's, smiling comfortingly. "I'm sure you two will see each other. Yet I cannot help but wonder whether you actually think the mission you are here for may kill you?"

She blinked when T'risstree offered her aid, chuckling and nodding. "In return, I shall help you with whatever you are here for, should you care to entrust me with the details, dalninil. I'm sure reading those books is only the first step, and I am certain such things are better done with a friend, yes?" She smiled at T'risstree, and filled her glass with more brandy, pouring for the other drow as well.

She raised her glass before drinking, and then set it down on the table, silent for a moment before speaking, trying to collect her thoughts to say what she wanted to.

"Ever since I have come here, dalninil, I haven't seen much of the way of Eilistraee. I fear the original priestesses that were here gave most Lolthians a run for their coinpurses." She grinned, "You've shown me more kindness and friendship than most, I must say. I ... " she hesitated for a moment before bringing her glass up a gain in a toast, "thank you, dalninil. You reminded me why I was here and not in a temple for Llolth, wondering which male I would kill next." She shuddered and took a sip before adding underhandedly, "That was always the worst part. Their eyes ..."

She looked up at T'risstree and nodded, "I think that would indeed be sweeter than honey, dalninil, your help is certainly something I would welcome. You truly have no idea how much this means to me."
This --->Image<--- is NOT a request.

Your hair is pretty like a tree.
Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Needing little encouragement, the moment the way to thew suites lay open, Kalkyril is eagerly on her way to her own room, and for the moments of privacy, once there, the floor i set to groaning in protest as an uncommonly great amount of weight is leveled upon it, though not nearly enough to damage, or cave it in, but the slender, and comparable to other dragon, gaunt frame of the Deep Dragon comes out of the humanoid form for a few moments, merely to spend that short time, as herself, and to ensure that her prolonged stay in the humanoid form was not causing any mental side-effects.

It's only a few short moments though, and Pheurazath reverts to the humanoid shape, named Kalkyril. And while waiting for the appearance of Zhay, sets about arranging the room to her preferences, including using some of the bedding in order to add some appearance of class to a single chair, and as deemed necessary, plushness. Ultimately to the end of resembling a throne. Enough is left to the bed though, to put it to good use, if it comes to that, but such she neither plans nor expects.

Additionally, candles are lit, but a small few, keeping the room lit, but dimly, preventing infravision from being of much use, and setting a relaxing mood to the room. Then she sets, and waits... waits for Zhay, whom if her plans to found a House work out, she plans to offer first dibs as her Weapon Master. From there, hopes are held to make him one of the select few to know her true identity.
T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

"I'm glad that my offer of aid has lifted your spirits dalninil. And I thank you for your kind words of comfort. If the goddess wills it to be so, then thus it will be." She gave Maryne hand a brief gentle squeeze and smiled at her. Today was turning out to be a good day after all.

"Yet as to fearing my death here, you know as well as I, that while this city is no longer under Lloths thrall, her agents and spies still seek to worm their way in and spread their evil. Danger is always around every corner and lurks in every shadow." It was stating the obvious she knew but that was the way of life down here in the Underdark, even in this city.

"It saddens me that you have not felt much of the love of the goddess nor the bond of sisterhood since your arrival here. I am forced to agree with you on that count. I too have felt isolated from the local sisters. They are not overtly rude but I get the feeling that there is something else going on beneath the surface. There is a distance they put between me and them. I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet but I do find it a little odd that in the few months that I've been here, not once have I been invited to speak with the High Priestess aside from the first time in which I arrived here and gave her some letters from the sisters in Skullport. She seemed distracted, almost uninterested in what I had to say or even why I was here at all. And neither have I been invited to participate in any of the ceremonies in the temple come to think of it which is why I've probably not seen you before."

T'risstree frowned as she reflected for a moment, thinking deeply about the past few months.

"In truth dalninil...I think I had missed the most obvious signs as I was grieving for lost love. That distracted me from my purpose. But now I thank the l'quar'valsharess that I have met you. Maybe she need us to meet so that we may aid each other? Yes...that must be it! Now I'm certain of it." She was now convinced that some divine providence was acting here.

"And I know the memory of the horror you have left behind dearest sister. The screams of the victims of the Spiderqueens insatiable lust for blood and souls will always be with us until our final moments. Only through love, joyous song and the beauty of dance can those stains be driven into dim nightmares that fade in time. Time heals all wounds was what Shanilath used to say and I believed her." She nodded while looking deep into Maryne's as she squeezed her hand tightly for a long moment. "Be assured that the terrible memories you carry in your heart will one day no longer haunt you as badly as they do now sister. I speak from experience here," she added softly.

She released Maryne's hand and took up her glass and toasted Maryne.

"Ulu l'valm d'folggash," she said simply then drained her glass before suddenly breaking into a coughing fit. The strong liquor drunk down so fast had burned but she didn't mind. She stopped coughing and started to giggle.

"Oh my...too much brandy...we'd best stop guzzling this potent fire water and sharpen up our wits dalninil else we become a pair of drunken harlots out looking for males to jump and molest," she giggled again then shook her head to clear it and stood up without a hint of any drunkeness.

"Ahh those days are past me now anyway even if I wanted to. The old ways are behind me. So I think we should remove ourselves from here and make a start in looking for this child you seek."
T'risstree droped a few more gold coins on the table. A goblin waiter scurried over and snatched up the money in a flash.

"Bel'la dos whol doerin malla jalilen. Usstan kestal ulu kyorl dos 'sohna ulnin," called out Rheldoran with a smile and friendly wave as the two Drow women started to leave the restuarant.

"Oh...I meant to ask you earlier...this child...is it a boy or a girl? Do you know what it looks like or perhaps its name? If we're to find clues and signs, it'd be useful to know who it is I'm helping you find. And if you could tell me what you know of the local priestesses, that would aid me in my mission. In the aftermath of the invasion of that arch demon lord a while back as you well know, the city was and still is to a degree, in a state of upheaval. Many of our faith fell in the battle and rebuilding has taken much effort and time. This may have been the opportunity that Lloths agents or perhaps something else has used the chaotic aftermath as a cover to inflitrate the city. My inquiries have yielded little up till now and I was beginning to question the judgement of the High Priestess in Skullport in sending me here. In my darkest thoughts I believed she sent me here to stop me from being with my lover but I realise now that was not the case. Something is going on...and we will find out together what it is Maryne."
Last edited by T'risstree Helviiryn on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

Zhay rolled his eyes and sighed at Veraka, who just let out a hearty laugh as both of them made their way down stairs.

"So you, a paladin of the Dark Maiden, and champion of the Lord of the Northern Wind, are telling me to not worry about a thing, and go see her," the young drow said, astonished.

"Aye, that be what I'm saying to ya, lad; look, would you feel more comfortable if I told Aurora to stay in the room, just in case things go sour, or trouble happens, be it from whoever?"

[i:2b2ttxpx]Actually, I was hoping you would say that; I was hoping to get some shuteye myself, whilst you and Talwyn went to House Helvighym.[/i:2b2ttxpx]

"Nevermind, then she already offered," Veraka reiterated to Zhay.

"Done; as long as she's nearby I'll do it," exclaimed the young drow warrior, as if all his fears had suddenly been erased.

"Alright then, go for it," Veraka said as he handed his room key to Zhay; "and leave the key with Aurora."

Zhay nodded and went up the stairs followed by Aurora.
"He just needs a little kick in the rear and turns fearless," Veraka chuckled to himself; the young drow reminded the aasimar of himself back in youngster days, when the world was as new to him as wielding a sword. He was proud, headstrong, and by all means, stubborn beyond belief.

Shaking his head, he moved up on Lothir, saying; "Lothir; how many times does one have to say your name just to get you to turn that skull of yours around and say 'hi'?"

Unlocking Veraka's room, Zhay let Aurora in, and gave her the key to the room. Closing the door, he made his way to Kalkyril's room.
Making sure his armor was clean enough and his greatsword was sheathed on his back properly, not that he minded, but he was meeting a female face-to-face, and wanted to look professional, after all, he was a soldier now for the guard; it was on Veraka's personal request that the captain had taken him in, only to have Veraka prove him right once more.

Zhay took a deep breath inward and exhaled slowly, calming his nerves; raising an armored gauntlet to the door to Kalkyril's room, he knocked, saying, "Lady Kalykril, you wished my presence."
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Kalkyril, delighted to hear Zhay's voice following the knocking ponders on how he might need to learn to enter -quietly- when both invited, and in a manner suggesting he be discrete. Still, she wears a gentle smile, and purrs from within, "You may enter."

The door is not locked, nor barred, as if he was expected, after all it was an invitation, and she had little reason to doubt he would ignore the invitation. Honor demanded it, and for what she's overheard between he and his mentor, Veraka's prodding probably did too. [i:2ltu7ok9]Now the true foundations of the facade, of Kalkyril Ilindl will begin[/i:2ltu7ok9], she thinks to herself.