On the Edge of the Breathing Swamp

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

((occ- haha. kinda figures...i'll fix it. So where does everyone learn how to speak drow?))

Inrii was a bit uncomfortable around so many followers of Eilistraee, but she couldn't disagree about the dry place and cleaning up. She returned his greeting, nodded her agreement, all the while wondering how long before they found out who she really was. She caught the male eying her a second, reckoned he was as suspicious of her as she was of him. She whispered an arcane phrase to reveal any hidden peoples and Zarstra returned to her shoulder whispering into her delicate ear.
Inrii had also been thinking about her old teacher, Erelurra, and if they might would know anything of her whereabouts. The two had become seperated during a previous battle with gnolls.
Turning to the half orc and human she replied causally, "lead on."
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

OOC: There's a great dictionary and traslator her on-site. I use it rather frequently, myself. Just look at the top and click the link that says Language. It has a phrase translator built right in, so just type what you want to say and click on the translate button. Easy!

IC: He looks up sharply on hearing the sound, suddenly apprehensive again. "What was that?" He asks warily. <This place is getting to me,> he thinks nervously. And something about the female seems to bother him. He can't quite place it, but still...
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

((haha! Figures I'd miss something like that...but thanks. Now i can cheat better..:D))

Still on her guard, she looked around her watching everyone's actions and movement. Something wasn't right...though she couldn't place her finger on yet...
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Jordon speaks to the group.

"Of the hunt? Yes in a way however we tarried too much and the fiend likely dead now and being burnt by fire, as is our way. The swamp makes a good border defense and gives the Ladies something to hunt as well. But now you should come with us to food, shelter and safety from evil. If any of you are tried Jenia could carry one of you. "

Points to what appears to be deeper into the swamp.

"That is the way we will go"

The sound of the swamp is ignored and perhaps even smiled at.

"We can guide you safely should you wish to come to be protected from those that live in the swamp and from the forces of Evil."
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

"You're protecting me from my sister?!" Lothir quips, though it's obvious he is trying to stifle a grin. "She's the worst force of evil I've ever met. Seriously, though, I'd just be happy if you can guide me to somewhere dry. I can defend myself well enough, if it comes to that." He says, holding up the pair of sabers. They are exquisitely crafted, with mithril blades and gleaming silver hilts in the shape of a nude elven female with her arms up embracing a full moon made of large round moonstone, with tiny amethysts for eyes. They are obviously enchanted, one side of each blade etched with intricate knotwork, the other with a word written in the elvish language- Honor on one, Virtue on the other.

Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Inrii cast a spell (see invisibility) and followed the groups as they lead through the muck. Inrii pulled her piwafwi up and wrapped it around her. she would be happy to clean up and get the stench outta her clothes. Zarstra rested on her shoulder watching behind her and snagging a fly to snack on.
Hearing Lothir joke intrigued her a bit. She hadn't seen many drow be so easy going/care free and light hearted. Most the everyone back home were so serious, and fun usually consisted of battling "enemies". The same kind of spirit Erelurra had.
Speaking in common for the human and half orc, "so where are we heading precisely?"
Speaking her normal (drow) to Lothir, "do you know anything about where we're heading?"
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Jordon loos to the few following him. "Sisters can indeed be a problem at times, but if comes in peace she would be welcome as well."

"We are going to a place dry and warm if you follow my steps"

If you follow his steps true indeed there is a firm path beneath your feet as the trail leads deeper into the swamp, ahead your eye might catch the glimmer of firelight, maybe a torch?

Jenia mutters something, not common and not Drow as she follows.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

The young drow stops dead in his tracks and snorts at Jordon's remark. "Peace?! Ha! The only way she'll ever go anywhere in peace is if it's in a pine box. Anyway, I don't think that will be a problem. First, she already thinks I'm dead, which is only natural, since she IS the one who killed me, and second, she's back on my own world. And before anyone asks, no I'm not undead, and yes, I'm not native to this particular world, though it's not so very different from mine."

He shrugs and continues in Jordon's steps, wondering just what sort of place they are going to. To Inrii, he answers in drow, "To answer your question, milady, no, I have no idea where we're going. I had heard there was a temple to the Dark Maiden in this area, but I got a bit- lost- trying to find it. So your guess is as good as mine."

Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

((are we there yet? lol))

((according to what i remember about familiars, they can cast some of their person's spells.))

'they're right, there is a path that's easier to follow'

They walked for a while, deeper(?) into the swamp. Mosquitoes buzzed and annoyed everyone. Inrii, with her true seeing, kept a sharp eye out for anything amiss as she petted Zarstra's who enjoyed being out of the familiar pocket and part of the action. She whispered into Inrii's ear, "Just one spell? I'm gettin gooder."
Inrii shook her head, "Not now, we need to save our spells incase another battle occurs. We haven't rested in a long while. And yes, you have been doing a better job casting them. If things get more suspicious, I'll let you cast it." (detect thoughts- she's a spy lizards)

Zarstra went back to watching and snacking while Inrii just smiled. She enjoyed having Zarstra around, especially since she and Erelurra had been separated. She also wondered if Erelurra had survived the attack. She had taken a serious wound in the side before Inrii fell down the embankment. She hoped for her sake that Erelurra's goddess healed her and she managed to return to a temple or any safe place. She had to believe it! If any thing she said was true, and Eilistraee cared, she would find help. The Dark Maiden had to be different from Lolth; maybe more like her brother? The Mask Lord was actively involved in his followers, tho the last few months he had seamed so far from her. Had he abandoned her because of Erelurra or her teachings? And if he had, would Eilistraee really take her? Could she truly give up her childhood faith? Inrii tried to push the thoughts away as she normally did to focus on the present matters just before she nearly tripped on a tree root. Her gracefulness kept her out of the muck. 'Religion can wait'

Asking in common to the two leading her and Lothir, "Yall been through this area much? I'm searching for a..." she paused trying to think of the closest word she knew to translate for friend. "...ally. There was a battle with gnolls. She was injured badly and we were separated."
Last edited by Inriiaynrae Jaelre on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

((abbil = friend))

With Jordon in the lead and Jenia following behind the two guests. As Lothir stops, Jordon glances back to you.
"That is no way to get out of the swamp. The distance is not long now"

He continues to lead as he steps forward again. Jenia answers Inrii "Dos lor whol natha abbil p'luin xonathull? Xal yatharil orn ragar ilta. (You look for a friend after battle? Perhaps the Priestess will find her.)"

As Jordon continues to lead to the light the swamp starts to fall further from the path and some reflecting water can be seen to the right. The light ahead more clearly appears to be a mounted lamp. The light shows the signs of building and trees near it before the light is reached.

Once beyond the light three wood huts can be clearly seen placed between some tall swaying trees.

Jordon speaks again. "Here we provide welcome, here is food, a place to rest and even dry clothing should you wish such?

((Yay right, infer half-orcs are stupid is a good way to make friends with one *wink*))
Last edited by Bhaern Quel on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

((I was thinking of stories where the drow switch to regular elven when using the word friend. but maybe its just Underdark drow...?))

Inrii was a bit shocked, (in drow), "You speak my language? I didnt know of many other races who did, particularly ... "
Inrii paused as she neared the lighted area. A few huts were visible. She scanned the area with her true seeing and watched Lothir's reactions. Zarstra became excited and nervous.
"Thanks. so where is 'here'?" she responded to Jordan.

((Thats why she paused; she thought bout it before saying it realizing what she was about to say. ;) But Vhaenraunites do look down on other races. she's working on her issues and maybe converted one day :D ))
Last edited by Inriiaynrae Jaelre on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

"At a guess, I'd say it's their home. Thank you, friends. I've been stuck in that bog so long I think the mosquitos bled me dry." He quips, and calmly tugs off one boot to dump mud out of it before replacing it, then does the same to the other. Blue eyes take in the surroundings appreciatively, perhaps even with a hint of excitement.

"Wonderful. These were new not so long ago. I guess that's what I get for wandering off the roads. Is there a priestess we can meet with? I'd like to offer my services, if a strong sword-arm is needed. Or helping with children or livestock. I've had some experience with caring for animals- just so long as I don't have to do any riding- long story, there..."

He glances over at Inrii, wondering if he should ask about her friend. He can see that she is uncomfortable around the others. <New convert, maybe? She doesn't seem to know much about the Maiden...> After a moment, he turns back to Jordon, with a polite nod, and asks where they might rest and bathe. From his attire, soggy and muddy as it is, it's obvious that he is used to less rustic surroundings, and he carries himself with the bearing of a Noble, though perhaps without the usual air of superiority.

He pauses to remove his cloak and toss it over one shoulder, revealing what had before been merely a large lump beneath the cloak as a fine black-painted lute with mithril strings and silver-etched images of dancing nude elf-maids alternating with moons in various phases.

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Inrii Jenia looks at you and says "Gol'Kosh, Uss shlu'ta screa mzilt (Gol'Kosh, One can learn much).

OOC: Gol'Kosh is orc for By my axe, which I infer the high Drow did not learn.

IC: She rests her axe by her side as she watches you.

Jordon gives a look to Jenia, before replying.
"Here, Lady is what we promised you. Food, shelter and out of the swamp."

His eyes sweep to Lothir "Nau, not our home, more like a camp, often visited." Studies you as you dump your boots and listens to your questions, sorting ad deciding on which to answer now and which might be answered later. The lute noted. "The Ladies will return when they return with the blessings of the Dark Maiden. As to bathing, the lake is clean with fresh water and has few dangers in it. You can rest in the center hut, the one to its right is were food is stored, the one to the left is where goods are stored. Blankets, clothing and so on."

Perhaps of the tree cover the moonlight provides little more information to those looking short of there are more trees. Though two of the three buildings do appear to have chimneys of a sort. This location would be considered crude, too crude to be considered even a hamlet.
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Inrii started to sense a seething in Jenia. She tended to act arrogant when in uncomfortable situations, a flaw she learned in order to survive among people she was so different from. And all the years of indoctrination from her 'family' showed up when least needed. Should she apologize? She figured she better get away before they figure out she wasn't one of them. She would ask the priestess and then head out.
'How Jezz would look at me now; he'd express his disappointment'.
Being his 'niece' was a major burden and she was already a such a disappointment to everyone, especially after the last incident back in Minauthkeep.

to Jenia with sincerity, "I thank you, Lady" remembering what Eilistraee's followers call each other.

She left the group and headed to the water indicated by the two. Zarstra jump off her shoulder and stood at the edge sipping the water and resting on a warm stone. Inrii looked back, slipped out of her dirty clothes setting them on a rock piled neatly, keeping her valuables hidden.
"Zarstra, keep an eye out."
The water was cool and clean. She dunked her head underwater. She sudded up her little bar of soap and cleaned herself, being careful of the the recent wound on her chest. It still stung a bit tho it had been on the mend. the memory of the event stung worse tho than the wound itself.
Last edited by Inriiaynrae Jaelre on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

He nods and gives a polite bow to the human and half-orc- still not quite believing his luck, or that a half-orc would follow the Maiden- and looks from the lake to the huts and back, as if trying to decide which is the more pressing matter. finally, he decides on the lake. "Thank you again. I would like to see them when they return, if it's not too much trouble."

After finding a secluded spot to remove his muddy clothes, he digs a small bar of scented soap ot of his travel sack and begins to bathe, then washes the clothes as well, hanging them over a bush while he hunts for a fresh outfit in the pack. In the end, he simply tugs on a pair of leggings and a pale blue silken shirt that almost matches his eyes, leaving the cloak and other clothes to dry, along with the boots. He wiggles his toes in the soft grass and moss with a sigh of pleasure, then tucks the blades- now shrunk down to their dagger form- into his belt.

The bath taken care of, the young drow heads for the small hut where they said the food was, and takes enough for a simple meal back out to join the others. He looks around, wondering how many of them there are, and if they are about the camp, or out in the forest and bog. He decides to speak to Inrii for a while, as she intrigues his curiousity.