'Facade' RP

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

:uh-huh: Interesting. . . if THAT'S the religious aspect of this whole little situation, then I'm more than a little worried. :lol:
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

[quote="veraka":1yivl7qh]:uh-huh: Interesting. . . if THAT'S the religious aspect of this whole little situation, then I'm more than a little worried. :lol:[/quote:1yivl7qh]

belief, miracles...how much more religious can you get eh? :angel:
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Here is a song I dedicate to all you delightful ladies :king:

This is REAL R&B, not that crap trotted out today.

This is something you can dance to, get down and be funky :angel:

C'mon T'riss, lets dance 8)

[youtube:2q6f3tj0]qNz_t-wE5VQ[/youtube:2q6f3tj0]
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Wow!

How far we stray from the point of this thread... all cool though.

Anyhow, let's give Arya a chance to post before we move the RP along much further, eh? For all the sneaking and positioning, I think the High Priestess should have had ample chance to respond. Perhaps even hand Zhay over.

((Purely off the record info. If the parlay succeeds, the signal to attack will follow a... shower of projectiles. I'll say no more.))
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

heh

isn't that the rule? that once a thread is started, the topic will drift off and become something totally diiferent? ;)

<smirks at Talwyn>
Getting all religious are you eh? :p Believe in miracles mmm? Well I suppose a drow princess and a human paladin getting together would be one maybe? ;)

and that last song was cool. I've never heard Robert Cray before (how old is that?) but you're right, very groovy funky R&B.

I lol'd at some of the lyrics - [i:2rtj350q]you can buy me a car, fill up the tank, tell me a boatful of lawyers just sank [/i:2rtj350q]:lol:

And you'd rather have a woman than a house with a deed and 6 pounds of california weed hmmm? :lol::P T'risstree is amused :D

Plus she LOVES to dance so Talwyn has done well with his choices <nod nod> good future husband and father! <kisses> :kiss:

See girls...thats the sort of man you have to get ;)

<sits back thinking>

hmm

yeah...this one is what T'riss would be feeling :love:

[youtube:2rtj350q]FNTctmoKM24[/youtube:2rtj350q]
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

[quote:32i86z95]<looks to Talwyn with a raised brow> Now you're trying to psychically predict [b:32i86z95]Arya's[/b:32i86z95] preference. This should get interesting.
[/quote:32i86z95]

*narrows eyes* And what is that supposed to mean, that slight emphasis there? *stares at* I'm on to you, you know?

And also, I can guarantee that I am no paladin, and will also not be tempted by the allure of another woman's flesh. =0 Woah. I just kept a paladin rule there! *feels righteous* ... so really, no need to take notes from Tal on that. I could give you a few pointers if you needed. :P 1 ... don't kill good people [sub:32i86z95]unless they have three or more digits of gp on them[/sub:32i86z95] uh ... don't eat yellow snow [sub:32i86z95]under ANY circumstances[/sub:32i86z95] uh ... I can't remember. Maybe that's why I failed paladin school.

[sub:32i86z95]:angel: No offense to our lovely paladins intended[/sub:32i86z95]

*double-take*

Zarae is 23 years old? =0 That's ... I ... :eek: what? She's barely old enough to leave her mother! Oh come on, she's not mature! Seduction lessons much, MUCH later on in life. *points to tv and gives chocolates* There, go watch a movie on how drow females are superior to all males. Good girl. ;)
This --->Image<--- is NOT a request.

Your hair is pretty like a tree.
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

Post by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar »

rule whatever number: fish are friends not food. oh wait wrong movie.
wait here it is: The first step in making friends is "not to eat people"

well, if i join facade, i might have her a bit older. but drow do have to 'grow up' sooner than most if they wanna survive.
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

"drow do have to 'grow up' sooner than most if they wanna survive. "

Judging from the average maturity of most of the drow in this RP, apparently not.... *stands whistling innocently* ;)

Oh, Talwyn- I THINK a certain bard knows a ship captain who could marry them. Assuming daddy would let them on the ship without skewering them, that is.... :uh-huh:
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

[quote:3vdh7wqz]*stands whistling innocently*[/quote:3vdh7wqz]

*forgoes ladyness and tackles Lothir to the ground, sitting on him* You are just FAR too cheeky, young fellow.

Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

*Looks up from his intriguing new position under her, and grins impishly.* Funny, from where I'm at, you're the one with too much 'cheek'! *snickers wickedly, and pinches her, uh "cheek" just to show his point.*

But I don't mind- in fact, I'm rather enjoying the view! ;) *gives her a wicked leer and wiggles his brows, snickering again.* :devil:

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Aylstra, heres a bit of trivia:
ship captains have NEVER had the authority to conduct a legal marriage ceremony ;) It's a myth :p

read on...

[quote:3gxff1d8]This being a free country, Magenta, ships' captains are allowed to marry anybody they want to. Performing marriages, however, is a different story. So far as I can tell, sea captains in the United States cannot now and have not ever been able to perform marriages at sea or anywhere else, unless they also happen to be recognized ministers or JPs or something. The same goes for sea captains in Britain and the Soviet Union.

However--and this is the interesting part--this myth is so widely believed, not only among the general public but among sailors, that both the United States Navy and the British Mercantile Marine Office have taken the extraordinary step of explicitly forbidding captains to do free-lance weddings. Let me quote from the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 32, Subtitle A, Chapter VI, Subchapter A, Part 700, Subpart G, Rule 716, also known as 32 CFR 700.716):

"The commanding officer shall not perform a marriage ceremony on board his ship or aircraft. He shall not permit a marriage ceremony to be performed on board when the ship or aircraft is outside the territory of the United States, except: (a) In accordance with local laws ... and (b) In the presence of a diplomatic or consular official of the United States." [/quote:3gxff1d8]

so Talwyn won't be taking on a ships captain to act as a marriage celebrant :p

[smiles at T'risstree]
I'm not much of a fan of avril but that was anice song ;)

Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

That may be, but I've always understood that any captain could do so in international waters, where the "law of the sea" prevails over the laws of any one nation- this tradition has been in effect since the early days of large sailing ships, when a captain was basically next to God in authority on his ship.

Don't know how recent the law you mentioned is, but I've been doing a lot of reading on sailing vessels and maritime history lately, and found no reference to a law disallowing it. Of course, most of the history I've been reading is pre-steamship stuff, but I see no reason why a captain of a ship in a fantasy realm couldn't do it!!!

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

The law applies to International waters but more so, for ships sailing under national flags. So any ship sailing under the US flag, UK Ensign or the Australian Ensign, be they Navy or merchant marine, the captain of that vessel does not have to authority to act as a marriage celebrant. The law was made to stop young couples eloping and getting married at sea. I believe it is still enforcd today. It's a 19thC law I believe?

But you are right in that in a fantasy setting, a ships master[captain] could technically have the power to perform marriage ceremonies. It all depends on the culture and society that captain came from. Not every culture would embody their ship captains with such authority.

Also, marriage has been seen as a more religious ceremony, being sanctified by a some church or cult. If the capatain was also a priest, then that wouldn't be a problem ;)

I learnt this bit of trivia last year when I was on my cruise in the Aegean sea and when I was talking to the ships captain :) They had a chaplin on board [Catholic] for any eventuality ;)
The captain would act as the "state" but the priest was the only one allowed to perform the ceremony.

And now just for Arya who mentioned Yellow Snow, I bring you Frank Zappa:

[youtube:2tw38ngv]Ws5Xeu3BEQk[/youtube:2tw38ngv]

Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Ah, that must have been after the infamous incident on the HMS Bounty, when maritime laws were changed largely because of Bligh's misuse of authority, which is what led to that little scandal in the first place. After that, British (and by extension most other countries) ships were no longer allowed many of the privileges of authority they once had. Like I said, I HAVE been doing some reading!! But up until then, a captain's word was pretty much law on his own ship, unless he was in conflict with direct orders from his government. Anything else was left to captain's discretion.

Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

[quote:2xm3ly5r]*gives her a wicked leer and wiggles his brows, snickering again.*[/quote:2xm3ly5r]

Enjoying the view, are you? Well, I have some magic, too. *turns into large, giant, old, smelly ogre still sitting on Lothir* Are we still enjoying the view?

And marriage? :angel: You know ... Maryne [i:2xm3ly5r]is[/i:2xm3ly5r] a priestess of Eilistraee ... she could in fact perform a marr-i-age. *to quote a famous captain*

<edit> That's quite the song. Of course the only thing the mother would be worried of her son doing is eating yellow snow. :P </edit>