Comments on "Darksong"

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Aylstra Illianniis":2pftr6ad]If anyone is still reading the tale, I'd love a little input! I've noticed the views count gone way up, but nobody posts comments![/quote:2pftr6ad]

Well I look as a matter of duty.

I find it developing interestingly. I though would tend to play a critic, that is if I see something that makes no sense to me.

In some ways many would do the same, though a few might desire to comment on things that sing or fits.
Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar
Lord||Lady

Post by Zarae Zyne Kilanatlar »

[quote="Aylstra Illianniis":1xl5z0ky]Dargons and Drow- can't think of a better combination!! They're my two fave D&D "monsters".[/quote:1xl5z0ky]

haha...ditto...i love the drow and dragons

cool story!
signature made by Larlan
~Character~
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":10gx2hf9][quote="Aylstra Illianniis":10gx2hf9]If anyone is still reading the tale, I'd love a little input! I've noticed the views count gone way up, but nobody posts comments![/quote:10gx2hf9]

Well I look as a matter of duty.

I find it developing interestingly. I though would tend to play a critic, that is if I see something that makes no sense to me.

In some ways many would do the same, though a few might desire to comment on things that sing or fits.[/quote:10gx2hf9]

Please, by all means, do feel free to mention anything you might have questions or gripes/praise about! That's what this thread is for. I believe that to improve as a writer, one always need outside input. These forums are perfect for that.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

I'm glad to see that so many are still reading along, but I'd like to see what you all think, too. The story will be entering a new chapter soon, with lots going on, several new characters, and some much more adult themes and situations. (Trust me, the scenes in the brothel and the fest hall will have you laughing hysterically! Or maybe just shaking your heads in sympathy, depending...) Just a heads-up! Anyway, enjoy the tale, and tell me your thoughts.

Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Battledancer

Lightly armored yet armed to the teeth, battledancers are elite warriors who use their skills to perfect a deadly art that combines martial skill with bardic magic. Armed with swift slashing weapons, singing martial hymns as they cut through their foes, they are as beautiful as they are deadly in battle. Battledancers often act as the personal bodyguards and agents for royalty, or as commanders of troops on the battlefield, inspiring courage in their allies and fear in their opponents. They have mastered dance as a form of combat, often confusing or stunning their enemies with dazzling displays of prowess.

Adventures: Battledancers adventure to gain experience in battling different types of foes, and to test their courage and skill in battle. They also adventure out of natural wanderlust and curiosity. They also travel to learn new songs and dances to incorporate into their own unique style of fighting.

Alignment: Battledancers can be of any non-lawful alignment. Many battledancers consider themselves masters of their own destinies, and as such do not recognize anyone as their sovereign. Some seek to find, or eventually create, a sword with perfect balance. Others feel the need to use their skills to tame or subdue an area, though not always for the benefit of others. Battledancers hail from all walks of life and follow the path for all sorts of reasons, from curiosity to ambition; from protection to domination; from freedom to vengeance.

Religion: The faith of battledancers varies as much as their alignments. Good battledancers sometimes worship Helm or Tyr; chaotic neutral battledancers tend to drift towards Tempus or Garagos, while evil ones often worship Cyric. Most elven battle dancers follow Corellon or Eilistraee. In the end, all battledancers have a common belief in one thing: the blades held in their hands.

Background:
Battledancers learn their skills as apprentices to older more experienced battledancers, and schooled in the arts of warfare, song, dance, and lore, though some battledancers arise from the ranks of gifted, self-taught dancers and warriors. Many hail from nomadic cultures with a long tradition of dervish-like song-warriors. Desert and gypsy tribes have long-standing traditions of battledancers often called dervishes or sword dancers. During their apprenticeship period battledancers choose their two preferred weapons, which must be slashing weapons. Among shorter-lived races, such as humans, battledancers train from a very early age, often starting as children who have shown some talent for dancing or with certain slashing weapons. Candidates among elves typically begin their apprenticeship at comparatively early ages; they are taken between the age of 30-50, often taking well over half a century to learn the art. Apprentices train every day to master the art of battledancing until they are ready to prove themselves in battle. Perfecting this style of fighting is a long, grueling process, requiring many years.

Races: Elves make excellent battledancers, due to their innate skill with longswords, dexterous bodies, and willingness to devote themselves to decades of singular study. From the conflicting traits of their heritage, half-elves often make the greatest battledancers due to their balanced natures. Humans and halflings often make good battledancers, as well. Gnomes make fair battledancers, if sometimes mischievous ones. Given the nature of the class and its more chaotic bent, as well as the skills involved, few dwarves can rise to the challenge.
Of the non-traditional races, stories of planetouched battledancers have been rare, but not discounted. No other tales have been heard, as the monstrous races generally do not have the patience, nor the agility, required to undertake this profession.

Classes:
Battledancers are trained to act in concert with other warriors and clerics. They tend to view rogues with suspicion and disdain. Wizards and bards are also in good standing; bards in particular are viewed as kindred spirits, and may even be allowed to learn the battledancer‘s art.. Sorcerers must prove their courage and skill.

Abilities:
Dexterity is vital to battledancers because they rely upon their natural agility and speed rather than brute force. Since many of their skills are based upon Charisma that ability is also very important. Strength is somewhat important, for the battledancer’s art is very strenuous, requiring much practice.

Hit Die: d8

Skill points at first level: (6+Int modifier) x 4
Skill points per level: 6+Int modifier

Skill Ability Skill Ability Skill Ability
Balance Dex Knowledge (any) Int Profession Wis
Climb Str Listen Wis Search Int
Craft Int Move silently Dex Spot Wis
Diplomacy Cha Perform (dance) ** Cha Tumble Dex
Jump Str Perform (sing) *** Cha Survival Wis

Armor and weapon proficiencies: Battledancers may only wear light armor, and do not have proficiency with any shields. They are proficient with all medium or smaller slashing weapons, as well as the quarterstaff, whip, darts, and bolas.

Spellcasting: Battledancers have the same number of spells known as Duskblades, and cast them and have the same number of spells per day as Sorcerers. Their spells are charisma-based, and all require dancing as the somatic component. They do not learn additional spells as wizards do, nor can they “unlearn” a spell to replace it with a new one. They may have additional spells per day, provided they have a high enough charisma to have extra spell slots of the appropriate level.

Battledance Performance: Once per day per level, a battledancer can use his song, dancing, or poetics to produce magical effects on those around him like a bard (usually including himself, if desired). While these abilities fall under the category of bardic music and the descriptions discuss singing or dancing, they can all be activated by reciting poetry, chanting, singing lyrical songs, singing melodies (fa-la-la, and so forth), whistling, playing an instrument, or playing an instrument in combination with some dance performance. Each ability requires both a minimum level and a minimum number of ranks in the Perform skill to qualify; if a battledancer does not have the required number of ranks in at least one Perform skill, he does not gain the performance ability until he acquires the needed ranks. Starting a performance effect is a standard action. Some performance abilities require concentration, which means the battledancer must take a standard action each round to maintain the ability. Even while using performance that doesn’t require concentration, a battledancer cannot cast spells, activate magic items by spell completion (such as scrolls), or activate magic items by magic word (such as wands). Just as for casting a spell with a verbal component, a deaf battledancer has a 20% chance to fail when attempting to use his performance, unless it is a dance. If he fails, the attempt still counts against his daily limit.
Countersong (Su): A battledancer with 3 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use his music or poetics to counter magical effects that depend on sound (but not spells that simply have verbal components). Each round of the countersong, he makes a Perform check. Any creature within 30 feet of the battledancer (including the battledancer himself ) that is affected by a sonic or language-dependent magical attack (such as a sound burst or command spell) may use the battledancer’s Perform check result in place of its saving throw if, after the saving throw is rolled, the Perform check result proves to be higher. If a creature within range of the countersong is already under the effect of a noninstantaneous sonic or language-dependent magical attack, it gains another saving throw against the effect each round it hears the countersong, but it must use the battledancer’s Perform check result for the save. Countersong has no effect against effects that don’t allow saves. The battledancer may keep up the countersong for 10 rounds.
Fascinate (Sp): A battledancer with 3 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use his music or poetics to cause one or more creatures to become fascinated with him. Each creature to be fascinated must be within 90 feet, able to see and hear the bard, and able to pay attention to him. The battledancer must also be able to see the creature. The distraction of a nearby combat or other dangers prevents the ability from working. For every three levels a battledancer attains beyond 1st, he can target one additional creature with a single use of this ability (two at 4th level, three at 7th level, and so on).
Inspire Courage (Su): A battledancer with 3 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use song or poetics to inspire courage in his allies (including himself ), bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities. To be affected, an ally must be able to hear the bard sing. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears the battledancer sing and for 5 rounds thereafter. An affected ally receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. At 8th level, and every six battledancer levels thereafter, this bonus increases by 1 (+2 at 8th, +3 at 14th, and +4 at 20th). Inspire courage is a mind-affecting ability.
Confusing Dance: At 4th level battledancer can confuse targets with a special dance once per day. This requires one full round of dancing, after which all creatures within 15 feet of the battledancer are affected as the confusion spell (Will negates, DC 10 + spell dancer level + Char mod) for 1 rd per spell dancer level.
Inspire Greatness (Su): A battledancer of 9th level or higher with 10 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use music or poetics to inspire greatness in himself or a single willing ally within 30 feet, granting him or her extra fighting capability. For every three levels a battledancer attains beyond 9th, he can target one additional ally with a single use of this ability (two at 12th level, three at 15th, four at 18th). To inspire greatness, he must sing and an ally must hear him sing. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears the battledancer sing and for 5 rounds thereafter. A creature inspired with greatness gains 2 bonus Hit Dice (d10s), the commensurate number of temporary hit points (apply the target’s Constitution modifier, if any, to these bonus Hit Dice), a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls, and a +1 competence bonus on Fortitude saves. The bonus Hit Dice count as regular Hit Dice for determining the effect of spells such as sleep. Inspire greatness is a mind-affecting ability.
Beguiling Dance: A battledancer of 11th level with 12 or more ranks in Perform (dance) can use her enchanting dance to distract her enemies. Whenever you start or maintain a beguiling dance, all enemies within 30 feet who can see you must succeed on a Will save or be dazed for 1 round. Creatures that fail this save also have their attitude improved by one step for as long as you maintain the dance (see Influencing NPC Attitudes, PH 74). This attitude adjustment does not prevent any subsequent attitude changes. For example, an enemy that becomes indifferent toward you as a result of this effect still turns hostile if you then attack it.
Wearying Dance: A 13th level battledancer with 14 or more ranks in Perform (dance) can use her enchanting
dance to tire her enemies. Whenever you start or maintain a wearying dance, all enemies within 30 feet who can see you must succeed on a Will save or be fatigued for as long as you maintain the dance. Creatures failing this save that are already fatigued become exhausted.
Inspire Heroics (Su): A battledancer of 15th level or higher with 16 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use music or poetics to inspire tremendous heroism in himself or a single willing ally within 30 feet, allowing that creature to fight bravely even against overwhelming odds. For every three battledancer levels the character attains beyond 15th, he can inspire heroics in one additional creature. To inspire heroics, a battledancer must sing and an ally must hear him sing for a full round. A creature so inspired gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws and a +4 dodge bonus to AC. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears the battledancer sing and for up to 5 rounds thereafter. Inspire heroics is a mind-affecting ability.
Frightful Dance: A 17th level battledancer with 18 or more ranks in Perform (dance) can use her enchanting
dance to scare her enemies. Whenever you start or maintain a frightful dance, all enemies within 30 feet who can see you must succeed on a Will save or be shaken for as long as you maintain the dance. Creatures failing this save that are already shaken become frightened, and those that are already frightened become panicked.

Battledancing: Battledancers are trained in the ancient art of Battledancing, which is a battledancer’s individual dance-like style. It allows battledancers to perfect their own style of the dance. The battledancer chooses his two preferred weapons upon entering apprenticeship, giving them the ability to fight with two-weapons (such as two long swords) without penalty to attack or damage rolls (as the Ambidexterity and Two-weapon fighting feats). Furthermore when battledancing a battledancer gains a bonus to their initiative and armor class equal to half their level rounded down (for example a 5th level elven battledancer has +2 bonus to initiative and armor class). Battledancers apply their Dexterity modifier to all attack and damage rolls using their preferred weapons (as the Weapon Finesse Feat). They do not gain this bonus when using any other weapon.

AC Bonus (Ex): A battledancer gains this bonus to Armor Class as long as she is wearing no armor or light armor and not carrying a shield. This bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when the battledancer is flat-footed. She loses this bonus when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor heavier than light, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load. This bonus increases by one point at every fifth level, starting at 1st, (+2 at 5th, +3 at 10th, ect.)

Uncanny Dodge: Starting at 2nd level, battledancers gain the extraordinary ability to react to danger before their senses would normally allow the to do so. At 2nd level and above they retain their Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) regardless of being caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible foe. (They still lose their Dexterity bonus if immobilized.)
At 5th level, battledancers can no longer be flanked; they can react to opponents on opposite sides of them as easily as they can react to a single attacker. This defense denies a rogue the ability to use a flank attack to sneak attack the elven battledancer. The exception to this is that a rogue at least four levels higher than the elven battledancer can flank him (and thus sneak attack him).

Weapon of Choice: Starting at 2nd level, a battledancer’s skill with his chosen weapon allows him to treat it as a light weapon for purposes of two-weapon fighting, and can be used in a grapple or when swallowed. This ability can only be used with weapons of up to the same size category as the battledancer (such as a longsword, which is a medium weapon, for an elf.) The weapon chosen must be of the slashing type.

Evasion: At 3rd level, a battledancer gains evasion. If exposed to any effect that normally allows a character to attempt a Reflex saving throw for half damage (such as a fireball spell), the elven battledancer takes no damage with a successful saving throw.

Melodic Casting: At 4th level, a battledancer can weave his music and magic together into a single perfect voice. Whenever a Concentration check would be required to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability (such as when you cast defensively or are distracted or injured while casting), you can make a Perform check instead. In addition, you can cast spells and activate magic items by command word or spell completion while using a battledancer performance ability. Performance abilities that require concentration still take a standard action to perform.
Normal: A battledancer can't cast spells or activate magic items by command word or spell completion while using bardic music.

Battle Dance (Ex): Starting at 5th level, a battledancer can become a whirling dancer of death a certain number of times per day. While in this dance, she can take a full attack action (for melee attacks only) and still move up to her speed. However, the battledancer must move a minimum of 5 feet between each attack when using this ability, and she cannot return to a square she just exited (though she may return to that square later during her full attack). The battledancer is subject to attacks of opportunity while dancing, but may tumble normally as part of her move. A battledancer prevented from completing her move is also prevented from finishing her full attack. If a battledancer wields a slashing weapon while in a battle dance, she gains a bonus on her attack and damage rolls. This bonus is +1 at 5th level, and it increases by an extra +1 at every 3rd level thereafter. A battledancer may only perform a battle dance while wielding a slashing weapon (she may use a double weapon, or multiple weapons, only if both ends of the weapon or all weapons are of the slashing type). She cannot perform a battle dance in any armor heavier than light or if she is using a shield. While dancing, a battledancer cannot use skills or abilities that involve concentration or require her to remain still, such as Move Silently, Hide, or Search. A battledancer can, however, sing or use her other performance abilities while she dances, and can also use the Combat Expertise feat while in a dance. A battledancer cannot perform a battle dance while under the effect of a rage or frenzy ability. A battledancer can perform a battle dance only once per encounter. A battle dance lasts 1 round for every two ranks of Perform (dance) that the character has. At the end of a battle dance, the character becomes fatigued for the duration of the encounter. This ability can be used one additional time per day for every five levels, up to four times a day at 20th level.

Shield of Blades: Beginning at 5th level, you become adept at defending yourself when wielding a pair of medium or light weapons. You gain a +2 shield bonus to your AC whenever you attack with at least two light weapons during your turn. (Despite the name of this class feature, you can use any light or medium weapon to gain the benefit, even unarmed strikes or natural weapons.) Though it requires a full attack action to use the ability, the AC bonus applies against all attackers (even invisible ones). This AC bonus lasts until the start of your next turn. This is an extraordinary ability. This bonus increases by 1 for every five levels beyond 5th (+3 at 10th level, +4 at 15th level, and +5 at 20th level). You lose this bonus when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Spring Attack: At 7th level, a battledancer gains the Spring Attack feat, even if she does not meet the prerequisites.

Dance of Death: At 9th level, a battledancer gains the benefit of the Cleave feat while performing a battle dance, even if she does not meet the prerequisites for the feat. She does not have to move 5 feet before making the extra attack granted by this ability.

Improved two-weapon fighting: At 11th level battledancers gain the feat Improved two-weapon fighting as a class feature.

Movement Mastery (Ex): At 10th level, a battledancer is so certain of her movements that she is unaffected by adverse conditions. When making a Jump, Perform (dance), or Tumble check, she may take 10 even if stress and distraction would normally prevent her from doing so.

Improved Evasion: At 13th level battledancers gain improved evasion. This ability works like evasion, except that while the elven battledancer still takes no damage on a successful Reflex save against spells such as fireball or a breath weapon, the battledancer now takes only half damage on a failed save (the battledancer’s reflexes allow him to get out of harms way with incredible speed).

Whirlwind Flurry: At 16th level, the battledancer gains the benefits of Whirlwind Attack and Slashing Flurry (as the feats) during a battledance, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

A Thousand Cuts (Ex): When a battledancer reaches 20th level, once per day she may double the number of melee attacks she makes while performing a full attack action (whether in a battle dance or not). If a battledancer uses this ability in conjunction with her battle dance, she can make up to two attacks between moves. The battledancer also gains the benefit of the Great Cleave feat with slashing weapons while performing a thousand cuts, even if she does not meet the prerequisites. She does not have to move 5 feet before making any extra attacks granted by this ability. A battledancer using this ability can receive an extra attack from the haste spell, but the bonuses provided by the spell do not stack with the bonuses granted by the class.

1 +1 +2 +2 +0
2 +2 +2 +3 +1
3 +3 +2 +3 +1
4 +4 +3 +4 +1
5 +5 +3 +4 +2
6 +6/+1 +3 +5 +2
7 +7/+2 +4 +5 +2
8 +8/+3 +4 +6 +3
9 +9/+4 +4 +6 +3
10 +10/+5 +5 +7 +3
11 +11/+6/+1 +5 +7 +4
12 +12/+7/+2 +5 +8 +4
13 +13/+8/+3 +6 +8 +4
14 +14/+9/+4 +6 +9 +5
15 +15/+10/+5 +6 +9 +5
16 +16/+11/+6/+1 +7 +10 +5
17 +17/+12/+7/+2 +7 +10 +6
18 +18/+13/+8/+3 +7 +11 +6
19 +19/+14/+9/+4 +8 +11 +6
20 +20/+15/+10/+5 +8 +12 +7

Table 3–17: Battledancer Spells Known

Level 0 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
1st 4 2 — — — — —
2nd 5 2 — — — — —
3rd 5 3 — — — — —
4th 6 3 1 — — — —
5th 6 3 2 — — — —
6th 6 4 2 1 — — —
7th 7 4 2 2 — — —
8th 7 4 3 2 1 — —
9th 7 4 3 3 2 — —
10th 8 5 3 3 2 1 —
11th 8 5 4 3 3 2 —
12th 8 5 4 4 3 2 1
13th 9 5 4 4 3 3 2
14th 9 6 5 4 4 3 2
15th 9 6 5 5 4 4 2
16th 9 6 5 5 4 4 3
17th 9 6 6 5 5 5 3
18th 9 7 6 6 5 5 3
19th 9 7 6 6 5 5 4
20th 9 7 7 6 6 6 4

————Spells per Day————
0 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
1st 3 2 — — — — —
2nd 3 3 — — — — —
3rd 4 4 — — — — —
4th 4 5 — — — — —
5th 5 5 2 — — — —
6th 5 5 3 — — — —
7th 6 6 4 — — — —
8th 6 6 5 — — — —
9th 6 6 5 2 — — —
10th 6 7 6 3 — — —
11th 6 7 6 4 — — —
12th 6 7 7 5 1 — —
13th 6 8 7 6 2 1 —
14th 6 8 8 6 3 2 —
15th 6 8 8 7 4 3 —
16th 6 9 8 7 5 3 1
17th 6 9 9 8 6 4 2
18th 6 9 9 8 7 4 3
19th 6 9 9 9 8 5 4
20th 6 9 9 9 8 5 5

T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

Do BattleDancers get a bonus if Disco Balls are in play? :p
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

BTW, does a BattleDancer need a special soundtrack?

Also, do they need armored flared pants and wide collars? :lol:

<are sequins and glitter required too?>

[youtube:7byz8y7a]47gahDuOff8[/youtube:7byz8y7a]
Last edited by T'risstree Helviiryn on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

Lets see you Dance Sucka :devil:

[youtube:34bnp3t7]p9hzOgrcI3o[/youtube:34bnp3t7]
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Ha-ha. VERY funny, guys. No, this is more like what you'd get if you crossed Michael Flatley (of riverdance fame) with Brian Boitano and gave him a pair of blades. Shake well, and stir, and voila! Instant drow blender set to "puree"!!!

Here's something back at ya!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlfH3r78 ... ioC-gieKOE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUsNpfXwEy0

Or, just for fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1gkWv3Q ... 6w-MMAIyHc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFyPxUns ... 6w-MMAIyHc

Or a personal fave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-yHU8T6 ... 6w-MMAIyHc

Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Here are some AMV's that show where I got the idea for this class. some of the music is by a Swedish singer named Nanne Grovall, and the anime used is Princess Tutu, for those who are interested in watching it. It's very sweet, and the story and music in the anime are well worth watching, I think! This anime is part of where I got the idea for him as he is, and some of the clips show what I was going for with the concept. Picture him as the dark-haired guy in the anime. :D

The character's name in the anime is Fakir, and he is a knight who is sworn to protect a prince (the white-haired guy) who shattered and scattered the pieces of his own heart to trap a demon-raven. the red-headed girl is a duck (yes, a duck- it's some sort os spell) is in love with the prince, and wants to return the pieces of his heart. The story is very good, and the characters are all interesting. Ahiru (the duck-girl) is funny at times. I liked the idea of a warrior dancing, and it fit in perfectly with the dervish PrC in the Complete Warrior book. So, here we are!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHZqxecCukg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ggcOdi ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9bU-Tcpg94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nMamPLA ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs0GmcMZkEI

And a part of the actual anime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAU-tmkkkn4

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

I always knew the Japanese were odd, some of the things they make into anime though makes you go :uh-huh:

Ok...so there is a duck who is polymorphed into a red haired ballerina who is in love with a prince [you don't say] and will mend his broken heart? :uh-huh: [blinks as though CONFUSION has been cast on him] That's just absolutely quackers! ;)

[ahem]

Your concept reminds me of a elven warrior class from 2ndE: The Bladesinger.

I found this which is from some other D&D realm but the mechanics are the pretty much as per the Complete Book of Elves 2E.

[quote:wu9uzufu]

Bladesinger Character Class (2e)

In Audalis, Bladesingers are the keepers of the yaara'menie (old ways), and their home is Megilindar Nost (Bladesinger Keep), found in the southern Sylvarian kingdom of Maelamin. They maintain a rich oral history of the Sylvari, and know many of even the most obscure legends and myths. This small, elite group is highly regarded by aristocracy and commoner alike, as they are seen as some of the most "pure" Sylvari left in existance. Bladesingers work in service of the Sylvarian crown and people, and are often chosen for missions of utmost importance. Their loyalty lies solely with Sylvaria, and with each other.

The most noted capability of the Bladesinger, however, is their prowess in combat. They practice a special fighting style known as the "bladesong," which emphasizes beauty and economy of movement over sheer destructive force, and is easily among the most effective fighting techniques in the world. The style is so named due to the strange music caused by the wordless, soulful tunes which are sung as these warriors rip their whistling blades through the air. The bladesong uses the momentum of an opponent against him, causing him to be off-balance and opening him to attacks. Practicioners of this art must have extreme balance, coordination, and skill. The bladesong is a secret fiercely guarded by the bladesingers, and takes many years to perfect. It is not to be taught to non-bladesingers, and certainly never to non-Sylvari. The bladesong is but a portion of what it means to be a Bladesinger. A character who is chosen to become a Bladesinger will literally spend years perfecting the bladesong and the steps of the dance before he or she is judged capable of passing the order's tests.

Class Requirements: Alignment: LG, NG only (character must have a large measure of discipline, and bladesingers are carefully selected, usually only of "pure" blood.)

Minimum requirements: STR 12, DEX 14, CON 12, INT 12, WIS 10, CHA 13

Experience: Use the ranger table

Hit dice: Use the warrior table

Race: Sylvari only

Weapon restriction: A bladesinger may only use swords, and these must always be of the highest quality the character can afford (quality, not necessarily cost). While the bow is a classic elven weapon, bladesingers do not use it, as all of their training focuses on the bladesong in combat. Moreover, a level one bladesinger selects her weapon of choice to be proficient with; until level five, she may not add another (although all swords are counted at half the normal penalty for non-proficient attacks, due to training). Additional weapon slots are gained at levels 9, 13, and 17. A bladesinger endeavors to never allow their weapon to touch the ground, as this dishonors the blade. If this happens, the blade must be discarded, and a new weapon must be found. (In the event of a fumble, however, the Bladesinger may, in lieu of any further actions that round, make a dexterity check. If successful, the weapon is retained prior to touching the ground.)

Armor restriction: The only armors allowed to a bladesinger are leather, studded leather, or elven chain (no restrictive armor allowed). A shield may not be used. As their attacks do not focus on damaging strikes, bladesingers may not use the extra damage/to hit bonuses associated with exceptional strength.

Class restriction: Bladesingers may not multi-class, as they must spend years of dedicated training to acheive the necessary skill level to pursue their chosen class.

Combat bonuses: Bladesingers get an automatic -1 adjustment to their armor class to reflect their adeptness at dodging/deflecting attacks. Each four levels of advancement gives an additional -1, to a maximum of -5. Note that this bonus only applies to melee opponents that the bladesinger is aware of. During combat, a bladesinger can choose one of the following, per round: * Add -2 to their own armor class. * Add +2 to their own attacks. * Parry and attack in the same round.

Disarm: A bladesinger may, at any time, attempt to disarm an enemy. A "called shot" is rolled with a +1 bonus; if the attack hits, the enemy is not harmed, but their weapon is flung from grasp.

Bladesingers are considered specialized in their chosen weapon (for the purpose of # of attacks per round) at level one. As additional weapon slots become available, the Bladesinger may elect to further concentrate in their chosen weapon to the same degree that a normal fighter can.

At fourth level, the Bladesinger can, once per day, imbue their weapon with an enchantement that makes it effectively +1 for an hour.

A ninth level Bladesinger has become so "in tune" with the dance that they no longer rely on sight. Therefore, darkness (normal or magical), fog, and even blindness fail to hamper their combat ability.

Bonus Proficeincy: Ancient History (elven)

Required Proficiencies: Reading and Writing, Etiquitte

Equipment: Bladesingers live light. Eqipment should cover necessities, but surplusses are to be avoided, and lighter equipment should be used in place of heavier alternatives.

Appearance: Bladesingers have no standard dress code, but it is accepted that they normally dress in muted, taseful garb, as befits an elf.

Code: The Bladesinger must live up to the strict standards of their own code. Discipline is usually ingrained to the point where any individual would rather die than break even the smallest tenet (i.e., a dishonored sword is left on the battlefield, regardless of immediate danger). However, a Bladesinger that breaks his or her vows can expect to be hunted down and executed by the rest of the order.[/quote:wu9uzufu]

http://www.rdinn.com/audalis/104/blades ... ss_2e.html

edit:

here is a 3E [d20] version:

[quote:wu9uzufu]Weapon Mage / Blade Singer

Of all the Noble Races, the elves are known throughout the Wold for their mastery of magical arts and grace in combat. So it is no surprise that the elves learned how to marry their arcane and martial knowledge into a unique form of art. Over time, however, the practitioners of this art evolved into three corps. The first corps, welding the arts of archery and magic, is the arcane archer (per the DM Guide). Members of the second corps, called weapon mages, blend magic with the mastery of a particular melee weapon. Students of both magic and war, weapon mages gradually learn to store and channel spells through their weapons and to cast spells while wearing armor. Members of the third corps, called blade singers, go one step further, blending arcane swordplay with the beauty of dance in deadly combination. Named after the hum of their deadly whirling swords, blade singers have a vocation to protect all elven peoples and homelands from threats of any kind. The art of bladesong was lost to the Wold for millennia, until one of the Gold Dragons -- an elven warrior named Greymaulkin -- quested to regain the forgotten knowledge. Since then, the corps of blade singers has grown ... and rumors say that even one or two blade singers without elven blood have been admitted to the ranks.

Only candidates with intense martial training and extensive arcane experience can learn these arts: weapon mages and blade singers are usually wizard/fighters, although sorcerers, rangers, bards, and even paladins have passed the tests required for membership. Both weapon mages and blade singers must prove their worth before being admitted to the corps. The corps of weapon mages is willing to share their art with any elf-friend, regardless of race. Blade singers and arcane archers are less open and, as a rule, exclude those without elf blood.

As NPCs, weapon mages and blade singers are solitary figures, feared by mages for their ability to cast spells while wearing armor and by the common warrior for their arcane ability. Because of this, they often try to appear fairly easygoing and lighthearted so as to put others at ease. While often adventurous, they pride themselves on protecting the weak and setting an example of good works. In addition, blade singers have a deeper calling, since they are sworn to defend elvenkind and nature.

Hit die: d6

Requirements

To qualify to become a weapon mage or blade singer, a character must fulfill the following criteria.

Base BAB: +6
Knowledge (Arcana): 6 ranks
Weapon and armor proficiency: All simple and martial weapons and all armor.
Spells: Ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells
Feat: Combat Casting
Feat (weapon mage): Weapon Focus with any melee weapon
Feat (blade singer): Weapon Focus with short sword, rapier, scimitar, long sword, or bastard sword
Alignment: any good
Special (weapon mage): Must have demonstrated magical and melee mastery in performing a service to elves.
Special (blade singer): Must swear to follow the blade singer ethos, must have elf blood.

Class Skills

The weapon mage and the blade singer have the same class skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Knowledge Arcana (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points per level: 2 + Int modifier

Table -- The Weapon Mage / Blade Singer

Lvl...Att...Will...Refx...Fort...Special Abilities
.1....+0.......+2.....+2.....+0.....Enhance Weapon +1
.2....+1.......+3.....+3.....+0.....Ignore spell failure 10%, +1 spell level
.3....+2.......+3.....+3.....+1.....Weapon Casting / Defensive Dance
.4....+3.......+4.....+4.....+1.....+1 spell level
.5....+3.......+4.....+4.....+1.....Enhance +3
.6....+4.......+5.....+5.....+2.....Store Spells / Grace, +1 spell level
.7....+5.......+5.....+5.....+2.....Ignore spell failure 20%
.8....+6.......+6.....+6.....+2.....Weapon Mastery, +1 spell level
.9....+6.......+6.....+6.....+3.....Absorption / Elegant Strike
10...+7.......+7.....+7.....+3.....Enhance +5, +1 spell level

Blade Singer Ethos

All blade singers swear to obey the following code of behavior: 1. Honor your word. 2. Temper justice with mercy. 3. Defend the defenseless. Moreover, blade singers are required to respond to calls for help from elves in need. If a blade singer ever unknowingly violates this ethos, then all Class Features (listed below) are lost until the blade singer atones. If the ethos is ever knowingly and deliberately violated, then all Class Features are lost forever, and no further advancement in levels in this prestige class is possible.

CLASS FEATURES

Throughout their training there are points at which the Blade Singer and the Weapon Mage diverge, both in their ways of thinking and the areas on which they focus. This is shown through their specific choices of certain abilities and special feats that each is allowed to attain.

Spells per Day: At every second level gained in the prestige class, you gain new spells as if you had also gained a level in your spellcasting class (if you have more than one, pick a class in which you can cast second level arcane spells). You do not, however, gain any other benefit from that prior class.

Enhance Weapon (Su) At first level in the PrC, pick a melee weapon to which you have applied the Weapon Focus feat. If you are a blade singer, your choice is more limited (see above). This type of weapon is your specialty weapon. With the Enhance Weapon ability, any specialty weapon becomes a magical weapon when you weild it, gaining a +1 enhancement bonus. This bonus only applies to weapons you are holding. If your specialty weapon is a double weapon, then both ends are enhanced; if you use two weapons of the same type, both are enhanced. As you gain levels in the prestige class, your weapons will gain greater potency: +1 at first level; +3 at fifth level; and +5 at tenth level. The bonus gained from this ability does not stack with any other enhancement bonus gained if your specialty weapon is a masterwork or magical weapon.

Ignore Spell Failure (Ex): Beginning at second level, your hard work and practice at joining spell and weapon play start to pay off. As an extraordinary ability, you are able to ignore a portion of the arcane spell failure chance associated with using armor and shields. This reduction begins at 10% at second level and increases to 20% at seventh level. You subtract the listed percentage value from your total spell failure chance.

Weapon Casting (weapon mage) or Defensive Dance (blade singer)

Weapon Casting (Su): At third level, the weapon mage gains an arcane symbiosis with specialty weapons. Once per round, you can cast spells while holding your weapon, even those with both somatic and material components. Any time you cast a touch or target-specific spell, you can choose to use your weapon to deliver the spell instead of making a touch attack. For example, in the same round, a weapon mage can cast Shocking Grasp and then deliver it as part of a standard melee attack through his weapon. You can move before casting the spell, after casting the spell but before making the attack, or after making the attack -- just like a touch attack. You can also choose to hold the charge. This ability works with any specialty weapon you weild.

Defensive Dance (Ex): At third level, when keeping one hand free (no shield, secondary weapon, or other object), a blade singer adds one point of intelligence or charisma bonus per blade singer level to your dexterity bonus to modify armor class, while wielding their specialty blade. Use intelligence if your blade singer levels boost wizard spell casting; use charisma if your blade singer levels boost your sorcerer or bard casting. (Rare witch blade singers can use wisdom or charisma.) For instance a third level wizard / blade singer with an 18 Int and bonus of +4 can add +3 to her armor class; at fourth level, that AC bonus rises to +4.

Store Spell (weapon mage) or Grace (blade singer)

Store Spell (Sp): At sixth level the weapon mage learns how to store spells up to third level in a single nonmagic specialty weapon. Effectively, you gain the "Brew Potion" feat using an alternative medium. All rules, XP costs, and expenses that apply to "Brew Potion" also apply to this ability, with the following exceptions. Once the spell is entered into the weapon, it remains there until triggered. You can store a number of spells in your weapon equal to your weapon mage level plus Intelligence bonus. You can only store spells in a single weapon, and you must carry that weapon on you at all times. Stored spells are lost only when the weapon is broken or if the weapon is out of your reach for more than a day. Only you can activate spells that are stored, doing so with a silent gesture: While weilding the weapon, you can activate a stored spell upon yourself as a standard action, or on a friend with a touch of the weapon as a standard action, or on an enemy as part of a standard attack (in addition to the normal attack, but not as part of a full attack). Only one stored spell can be triggered per round. Stored spells can be meta-magicked, but Silent, Still, and Quick effects have no relevance. You can store spells with your DM's approval; you do not have to go to the Catacombs to pay the XP and gold cost, as would a potion-brewer. Only a nonmagic masterwork weapon can be used to store spells.

Grace (Ex): At sixth level a blade singer gains an additional +2 competence bonus on all reflex saving throws. You also gain the rogue’s evasion ability. If you already have evasion from another class, such as rogue, then you gain improved evasion. The save bonus and evasion only function when you are wearing light or no armor and when not using a shield or weapon in your secondary hand.

Greater Weapon Focus (Ex): At eighth level, you gain the feats of Weapon Specialization and Greater Weapon Focus with your specialty weapon.

Absorption (weapon mage) or Elegant Strike (blade singer)

Absorption (Su): At ninth level the weapon mage's specialty weapon (the same one in which you Store Spells) acts as a Rod of Absorption. Treat this as the Rod of Absorption magic item in all ways, except you can only store spell levels equal to your weapon mage level plus Intelligence bonus. After using stored levels, however, you can absorb more levels to replace them, unlike the rod, which can only absorb spell levels once. You know how many levels are stored in the weapon at any given time.

Elegant Strike (Ex): At ninth level a blade singer gains the ability to strike precisely with her specialty weapon, gaining an extra 2d6 damage added to normal damage. Elegant strike only works against living creatures with discernable anatomies. Creatures who are not subject to critical hits are also not subject to this additional damage.

SPECIAL FEATS

While other feats are certainly available to the weapon mage and blade singer, several special feats exist that only they are allowed to use. These feats, of course, must be taken in place of the normal feats that the you get as you advance in level.

BLADE SINGER FEATS

Feat: Bladesong [SPECIAL]
Prerequisites: Blade singer level 1, Still Spell, 3 ranks Perform (dance).
Benefit: With this feat, any time you use your sword to attack, you gain a +1 morale bonus on attacks, damage, and armor class.

Feat: Improved Bladesong [SPECIAL]
Prerequisite: Bladesong; 6 ranks Perform (dance).
Benefit: Your bladesong morale bonus doubles to +2.

Feat: Bladedance [SPECIAL]
Prerequisite: Improved Bladesong; 9 ranks Perform (dance).
Benefit: You can release your sword (requiring a standard action) to attack on its own. It fights for four rounds using your base attack bonus and then drops. It never leaves your side (never straying more than 5 feet) and fights on even if you fall. If you do not move more than 5 feet, it makes multiple attacks based on your base attack bonus; if you move more than 5 feet, it will follow you and make a standard attack. You can mentally command it to attack certain enemies; otherwise it attacks the nearest. It takes up a 5-by-5 space and has a reach of 5 feet. You can grasp it while it is attacking on its own as a free action, but when so retrieved it can't dance (attack on its own) again for four rounds. While the sword is dancing, you can cast spells, draw another sword and attack, or take any other normal actions.

Weapon Mage Feats

Feat: Arcane Offense [SPECIAL]
Prerequisite: Weapon mage level 3, 3 ranks Spellcraft.
Benefit: With this feat, any time you use weapon casting to cast a spell through your weapon, add +1 to that spell’s DC.

Feat: Improved Arcane Offense [SPECIAL]
Prerequisite: Arcane Offense, 6 ranks Spellcraft.
Benefit: Your arcane weapon casting spell DC bonus doubles to +2.

Feat: Spell Parry [SPECIAL]
Prerequisite: Improved Bladesong or Improved Arcane Offense, 9 ranks Spellcraft.
Benefit: When you Fight Defensively, in addition to the +2 dodge bonus you normally gain to AC, you also gain a +2 dodge bonus to all saving throws vs. magical attacks (spells and supernatural and spell-like abilities). When you use the Total Defense action, you gain the usual +4 dodge bonus to AC as well as a +4 dodge bonus to all saving throws vs. magic. If you have five or more ranks in the Tumble skill, the bonuses rise to +3 for Defensive Fighting and +6 for Total Defense for both AC and saves. (This feat is also open to blade singers.)[/quote:wu9uzufu]

http://www.woldiangames.com/oshirr/clas ... onmage.htm
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

I used to play a BladeSinger but she was Drow <of course :p > in a 2E campaign when I first started playing D&D with my brother and his friends.

My best friend and I were the only girls in the group :/ of boys but they liked having us there.

We played a pair of Drow female Bladesingers as we sorta thought that was the best class for an Eilistraeen fighter/cleric <multiclass>

gee...that was what like....15 years ago? wow! :eek: 1995...

I probably would have been around Zarae's age then :p <not 23 :p > her RL age :p

I still love reading that 2E Drow of the UnderDark source book. It was SOOO good for anyone wanting to know about the Drow. Best thing my brother ever bought I think? ;)
clicky2cme
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Actually, Tal, now that you mention it, I've seen several versions of the bladesinger, but it is technically a PrC in 3.5 ed, or a kit in 2nd. What I've done was to form a full 20 level class, which has less to do with magic, and focuses more on the idea of dance as a form of combat. (No, not a dance-off, you clowns, lol!! :p )

There are similarities, but the major difference is that it does not so much fuse magic into the art, but rather uses the rhythm of music and the movements of dance combined with a slashing type weapon to fight, as opposed to the bladesinger's art fusing magic into his/her weapon. This follows more closely to the dervish line- a la the sword dance done by very experienced belly-dancers, Turkish sword-dancers, and the like. A literal whirling dance of death, if you will. In time to whatever song the performer happens to prefer.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Isn't a Dance Off a form of [cough cough] battle Aylstra? ;)

You know, two dancers stalking each other on the field of combat :lol: in a no holds barred duel to the death? :lol:

Sorry but I just have to laugh at the entire concept of a Dance Off. I used to laugh at the rap dancers in the early 80's who took themselves far too seriously. What a joke! :lol:

Meh....

As to Bladesingers, I always envisaged them as a whirling dancer, much like the Devishers or Chinese Sword Dancers. They'd enter into a complex dance and use their blade for both offense and defense. The magic was just an extra bonus since in 2E, Bladesingers were only allowed to be single class I think?

Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

If I recall correctly, they were required to be dual-class fighter/mage in 2nd ed (cause how else are you going to be able to use both skill sets?) The magic has always been an integral part of their fighting style, but it is more specifically tied together in 3rd ed. I pictured them in a similar fashion as you mentioned, but using their blades to cast spells through, much like a Duskblade from the CW book. That said, bladesong is a specifically elven art, while I left mine open to any race that has the necessary ability scores to pull it off. The dervish entry in the CW has a halfling as an example, which seems to fit just fine with what I had in mind.

Har, har, Talwyn. Somehow, I don't think a dance-off is quite THAT serious of a battle- unless it's like the knife fight from MJ's "Beat It"!! :roll: 8)

And no, T'riss, they don't get a bonus for disco balls- however, when facing off against another dancer, they can make an opposed intimidate check using the perform(dance) skill! :p

This was something that sort of naturally evolved through several months of playing him, and since the standard bard class did not really fit what I wanted to do, I started over from scratch and went through several books to build something that more closely fit what I wanted. I even used some info from Plot and Poison (from Green Ronin Books) and the swashbuckler and virtuoso as references.

Tal, you thought the story is weird? It's actually much deeper than that, because the characters are actually reincarnations of characters in a fairy tale written by a man who had the power to make his stories come to life, but he died before he could finish the story, and they are doomed to keep repeating the events until the story is finished.

The duck starts as a minor character, but she ends up being the one to help the prince (and the knight, who seems to have fallen for her along the way) to break free of the story and write their own destinies. The prince falls in love with the daughter of the raven- it's all very tragic in some ways, because the duck can't tell him how she feels, or she loses the power to become a girl and help him get his heart back.

I guess some anime is an acquired taste. But I loved it, partly because it uses pieces from the Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake- all the great ballets. And the cat (don't ask- there are several characters throughout the series that are animals) ballet teacher always threatening to marry one of the students as punishment for mistakes or tardiness is so funny! :p