Eilistraee

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Now we're going off to sex?

Alright, fine. I'll ask you htis, eaven though my pride would be hurt.

What's with those of my kind? I always did prefer drow girls to human girls ;)
:3
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Rooky":2604k58g]I always did prefer drow girls to human girls ;)[/quote:2604k58g]
Such racial prejudice is counter to Eilistraee's teachings. Try and love all equally. ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Rooky":14hb571f]Now we're going off to sex?

Alright, fine. I'll ask you htis, eaven though my pride would be hurt.

What's with those of my kind? I always did prefer drow girls to human girls ;)[/quote:14hb571f]

Well Ed clearly implied sex was part of the religion.

"Eilistraee has nothing to do with flocks or the chase, is not virginal, and has nothing to do with chastity."

As for like Drow females more then female humans I do not see that as a problem at all, most see Drow as more attractive then Humans. *Winks*
Elspath
Maid
Maid

Post by Elspath »

on sexual prefrence i think eilistraee is just like her mother lloth. She perfers females but females of all races, so its more of a sexualdiscrimination within both religions. Eilistraee is just a bit more nice on the subject where lloth is the extram
vin''ult sea''anen d''Myth Drannor Y''teni dosst killian lanke zhah elghinyrr
-=Shadows of the Moon Series=-
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":2k04ltmn][quote="Rooky":2k04ltmn]I always did prefer drow girls to human girls ;)[/quote:2k04ltmn]
Such racial prejudice is counter to Eilistraee's teachings. Try and love all equally. ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:2k04ltmn]

I never said taht I have racial prejustiseseses. I only said I find elven (let's stick wiht dark elven) females more then human females....

;) :D :angel:
:3
Serath En'Sendaran
Maid
Maid

Post by Serath En'Sendaran »

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this thread. Been kinda busy.
With the campaign that I am currently running, it's taking place in Calimshan (about 1000 years before the current RPG time, which is about 1374). The situation that I am presenting is this: The group of "heroes" are about to slay a hex dragon that has enslaved a group of priestess, and is using them as cannon-fodder (and the occasional snicky-snack). When the dragon is slain, the priestesses will be released. Now, the leader of the players is a military officer. I know the player well. The question I am having is this. I am pretty sure that the player will try to recruit the Eilistraeen priestess to help fight against the Drow invaders. The question I was trying to propose was:
[b:1htgyt2z][u:1htgyt2z]Would Eilistraeens join a human military force to fight against the Drow?
Would they willingly fight their own kind, without offering the attempt at redemption? [/u:1htgyt2z][/b:1htgyt2z]
I don't quite know where this got off onto sex, personally.
On the matter of sex, I've always ran that priestesses of Eilistraee are passionate, loving drow. They are more Elven in relationships (ie. they actually love), but they are also still drow. Also, (after reading part of Silverfall) I have a feeling that worship services can end up being highly sexually charged. At a certian point, I don't think gender really matters to the priestesses (or the followers, perhaps). Also, with the ratio being more female dominant at a worship service, some of the children concived at a Revel may end up having the same father, from the same night.
"Plynn ussta che, plynn ussta thac'zil,
plynn uns'aa vel'klar Usstan shlubnaut fre'sla,
Flamgra l'thac'zil lu'caghresst l'qu'mados,
dos shlubnaut plynn l'anulo dal uns'aa."
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

This helps.

As to [quote:2kc4f5rc]Would Eilistraeens join a human military force to fight against the Drow?
Would they willingly fight their own kind, without offering the attempt at redemption? [/quote:2kc4f5rc]

Yes Eilistraee followers would join a fight aganist evil Drow, some (Espcilially Sivlerhair Kningts) with the idea of capture, freely willing to acept death of Drow as a matter of war. The interaction with a human commander might be interesting as to whom is really in charge. Alot of that however will depend on the levels of Clerics compared to the PCs more so then if the followers will kill Drow, the biggest danger to Eilistraee communities are Lolthian Drow as oposed to other races or other Drow (those that follow other Drow deities).

The only reason that the rescurced would walk away would be much simalar to the way a Paladin would deal with an issue, that I can help a little here, but I have more important things to do so can not help long. If one is High Priestess of a community she clearly will want to know if the community still exists (you can get around this posible problem by saying the community was distroried and the last defenders then taken captive and compelled). There can be other reasons to say no to the project propsed but that could be situational, how the play works out. The biggest thing that occurs to me though if the Drow slayers will stop to even talk to Drow in their against them. Espcially if they were compelled to fight against the PCs before their controller was killed.

This might be the biggest problem, followers will kill evil with no problem at all, they also will defend themselves from being killed by misguided good people, depending on power levels by disarming but if odds are not that good by killing. There needs to be a time for talk or I see much death (or the NPCs capturing the PCs *wink*) that as DM you might want to arange for the options.

Just to return to combet, Drow use sleep poison, Lolthian Drow use it for the ability to make live sacifices (after trussed and no longer sleeping of course) bu live capture. Many Eilistraee Drow use sleep poison for live capture (with the view to redemn) but clearly will distroy the unredemable if that can be clearly be determined (excepts of course the Sin Eaters).

Depending on leading Cleric's, highest level, personality and beliefs she will argue that they are entitled to a trail and/or a chance to redemn for their actions. If allowed to keep Drow captives there of course would be offered the chance to consider redemtion, as would the PCs be offered a chance to convert. There also though is that part of dogma which includes killing evil/danger quickly before more evil can be done.
Bergeth'fryn
Regular

pragmatic actions

Post by Bergeth'fryn »

So, forgive me if this is a foolish question, but i'm relatively new to Eilistraeean practices. Okay, how would Eilistraee look upon the use of powers and spells that are geared toward evil, even when they are used to further the cause of the Masked Lady?
Back home, we used to eat those things you call nightmares.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Re: pragmatic actions

[quote="Bergeth'fryn":2570xfan]So, forgive me if this is a foolish question, but i'm relatively new to Eilistraeean practices. Okay, how would Eilistraee look upon the use of powers and spells that are geared toward evil, even when they are used to further the cause of the Masked Lady?[/quote:2570xfan]
Good question. Personally I prefer to think that tools don't have an alignment and that it's purely in the use of them that alignment shows (though I imagine a number of tools might be very hard to use for good). As such I'd think Eilistraee would think similar.

Though to be fair things are a bit... uncertain at the moment as far as the Masked Lady is concerned. In fact, as the Masked Lady she seems to be more willing to do dark deeds for good ends (such as assassination). At least I hope it's still for good ends, even that is not completely clear.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

That's definately a shift towards neutral good or even true neutral, using "the ends justify the means" rationale to explain her actions.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: pragmatic actions

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Bergeth'fryn":1zacu00k]So, forgive me if this is a foolish question, but i'm relatively new to Eilistraeean practices. Okay, how would Eilistraee look upon the use of powers and spells that are geared toward evil, even when they are used to further the cause of the Masked Lady?[/quote:1zacu00k]

We do not know much about the Masked Lady, but there has been a concern she might be evil.

As far as spell use if one thinks about it even good spells can be used to do evil things, so as far as I am concerned it is not the spell used, but why the spell is used that determines if spell use was good/evil/lawful/chatic/nuetral
Bergeth'fryn
Regular

Post by Bergeth'fryn »

Just so everybody here knows, there's more to life than the sexual side of relationships. i follow eilistraee not for the view, rather for the emotional experiences that such a graceful and loving goddess can grant
Back home, we used to eat those things you call nightmares.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Well, all the talk about sexual behaviour here is clearly NOT EVERYTHING we are interested in. Of course, this is a very interesting thing but it's just one out of dosens of reasons we like/follow the Lady.

This just in: Providing out Goddess shifted to some other allignment, that would not suit us; let's look at Ix's theory on the follower's influencing their deity. Even should Eilistraee change her allignment to something frightful, we still have a chance, to get her back as she was, at least in some degree!

Back to the topic: Eilistraee and the values she represents helped me establish a code for myslef, a new sort of morallity, when my old one suddenly got destroyed completely. I will always remember the wonderful moments I've spent on thinking about her and that what she represents.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Bergeth'fryn":1aff9fro]Just so everybody here knows, there's more to life than the sexual side of relationships. i follow eilistraee not for the view, rather for the emotional experiences that such a graceful and loving goddess can grant[/quote:1aff9fro]
[i:1aff9fro]<nods>[/i:1aff9fro] Indeed, I quite agree.

Speaking purely for myself I'm here for that, for what she stands for, and for everything that she is. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Ix'Chimalxochitzin
Regular

Post by Ix'Chimalxochitzin »

[quote="Argoth":2q2mkev1]This just in: Providing out Goddess shifted to some other allignment, that would not suit us; let's look at Ix's theory on the follower's influencing their deity. Even should Eilistraee change her allignment to something frightful, we still have a chance, to get her back as she was, at least in some degree![/quote:2q2mkev1]

I got referrenced! I feel so important now ^_^.

But yeah, the main reason i like Eilistraee is because she's fighting for the minority, against the bias and prejudice everyone has for the Drow as a whole. Regardless of romantic preferences, that is the main reason i joined this forum as opposed to a Lolthite one.
-----
"Watch your step... If you fall, you'll damage the floor."