Gods in the realms, changed on your games.

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Zaknafriend
Maid
Maid

Gods in the realms, changed on your games.

Post by Zaknafriend »

Another thread is talking about suitors for Eilistraee. Some of the suggestions seemed a little out there to me, but then I got to thinking about how the gods change for different stories, different editions, different authors, and finally different gaming groups. For example, and not wanting to tread on anyone else's thoughts or ideas, I see her as a Batman like character, who at her core is so mission focused, that she doesn't have time for a relationship.

But that's not correct outside of my game/gaming group. In these stories we spin together on our pcs,table tops or what have you, we develop these images and ideas for how these characters behave. But that changes with the group, the author and the format.

At my table, Jergal spent his days prior to the arrival of Bane Bhaal and Myrkil, hating his job out of boredom and coming up with demands for the newly dead to do something, anything, entertaining in exchange for returning then to life or not sending the wicked to their earned terrible ends. When the dead three showed up Jergal saw an opportunity. They do all the work, they take all the blame, and he sets up a hot tub, hot wing dispenser and a wide screen TV in the infinite broom closet on the third floor.

On that note, tell us about your gods and views on the same, even if they aren't cannon. :angel:
Irennan
Champion

Re: Gods in the realms, changed on your games.

Post by Irennan »

I'm afraid I don't have much to tell, because I found myself changing way too much stuff using FR, so I just ended up crafting my own world and using that instead. And deities aren't really 'divine' in my world; I don't have proper deities.

From FR, I only kept Eilistraee, Araushnee, and Corellon. For Eilistraee, I entirely reworked her story, because the canon one wouldn't make sense in my world. However, I strove to keep the spirit of her choice. I tried to stay true to her character as well, but I emphasized certain aspects that she has in canon. That is her role as a nurturer&healer, as someone who works to make beauty flourish where few else would see it, and as someone who works to help each individual find their own path and purpose, and turn their struggles and suffering into beauty and strength. Also she's not drow. I had drow at the beginning, but I decided to remake them from scratches for my world for the same reason--I had changed way too much for them to still be actually drow, so what was the point. My world only has humans and 8 "fae" cultures--not really fae as the folklore, but I kept the moniker. The race I used to call drow refers to those fae cultures as a whole. Eilistraee still looks like she does in canon, with certain small alterations--she has specific flowers as vines on her arms/legs, or in her hair, as common in one of those fae cultures (the dryads). The flowers reflect their experiences and personality, or state and desire, depending on their properties, looks, color, etc... (for example the lotus flower is among Eilistraee's, as I gave it a meaning of making beauty blossom from struggles, pain, or where one wouldn't expect. That's because the lotus flower has its roots in the mud, but it grows into a really beautiful plant).

For Arauhsnee and Corellon, I don't like how they're done in canon, at all--especially Lolth (Lolth and the worldbuilding associated to her has some objective trashy writing in there, to the point of it being "non-narrative"). I entirely rewrote them; they only share the same name, so there's no point telling how they're different.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.