I don't mean to be an enemy...

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Ghaunadan_Lost
Maid
Maid

I don't mean to be an enemy...

Post by Ghaunadan_Lost »

Is there any place in the world
To go to when life crashes down
When the expected twist is finally twirled
And the past becomes a fiendish crown
…Or something involving “vandyke brown”…
…Or someone saying, “market Town,” or “dressing GOWN,” or “TRIPLE CROWN”…

Yeah, enough. This stupid, scrinching, dance and song!

A Drow leaves. A Drow is reborn. A DROW continues hating, but finds newer, more self-righteous avenues for that hate. A slightly different shade of red for the very same iris round.

And what am I? And where do I fit in? Just a monster, of course. But when one leaves the fold, and the last bubbling voice stops making sense, I am still left ground into a sticky powder beneath the boot of a being that doesn’t care if I live or die - and methinks you know the feeling.

Such righteous hatred my enemies seem to share.

And so I come to a fork in the road. Do I choose righteous hatred, or hateful righteousness?

And what do you choose, Drow? What do you choose, owner of the boot?

We are both outcasts. Be glad you’ve found a “pleasant Lolth.” As of yet, I know of no “pleasant Ghaunadaur,” do you? And PLEASE don’t grow offended by such a simple statement. You know what I meant, and I’m not in the mood.

And so, of course, what should I do? Or…what do you do…if she is truly missing?

Sister, brother…are we in hell?
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: I don't mean to be an enemy...

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well looked up the stats of a Ghaunadan and it clearly appears the creature is intelligent enough to look to other deities. Though the Ghaunadan is called a servant Ghaunadaur this does not appear an absolute requirement. Ghaunadans are intelligent to a range of very to high (12-14 , 2nd Edition). Thus clearly can look to other deities.
I do not believe the Dark Maiden would be the best choice because of promoting Drow return to the surface, however it clearly is posible that something might work. Many Drow of the Chosen are still under ground and these Good Drows can use all the allies they can get.

There might be other subterranean deities that tend to be less Evil, however I do not recall of any at this time.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote="Ghaunadan_Lost":3k23jgne]Is there any place in the world
To go to when life crashes down
When the expected twist is finally twirled
And the past becomes a fiendish crown
…Or something involving “vandyke brown”…
…Or someone saying, “market Town,” or “dressing GOWN,” or “TRIPLE CROWN”…[/quote:3k23jgne]
If your life crashes down, no place will rise it back up. You may find aid in friends, or even in surprising strangers, but at the end -if whatever you dedicated your life to let you down- it is you who can find something new to build, a different purpose and feel, since life has no purpose by itself. And it can be anything, really, from mere surviving and enjoying whatever you can, to repairing your errors, if that is the case.

[quote:3k23jgne]
Yeah, enough. This stupid, scrinching, dance and song!

A Drow leaves. A Drow is reborn. A DROW continues hating, but finds newer, more self-righteous avenues for that hate. A slightly different shade of red for the very same iris round.[/quote:3k23jgne]
If drow -as any other people- truly change, I doubt that they will keep being basically what they were before. If your song and dance reference is meant to attribute this kind of behaviour to the ones who turn to Eilistraee, you're wrong. Generalized hate is the opposite of what they do. Really, they are all about doing what I was saying a few lines above: rising their life back up, becoming the only shapers of it and helping the other drow doing that. They want to carve a place for their people in a world that mostly disregard and judge them, they want to enjoy their ''re-gained'' life freely. Hate is a feeling common among very beings and almost none is immune to it, but self-righteous hate is out of place among people who -like the Dark Maiden's followers- believe in freedom of choice.

[quote:3k23jgne]And what am I? And where do I fit in? Just a monster, of course. But when one leaves the fold, and the last bubbling voice stops making sense, I am still left ground into a sticky powder beneath the boot of a being that doesn’t care if I live or die - and methinks you know the feeling.[/quote:3k23jgne]
No one can tell you what you are, if you want to be ''just a monster'', then you will be. Where do you fit? Again, no one can tell you that, find your own place, or build it. Live as you wish and fight the ones who want to deny you the right of doing so, but be prepared to be fought and to find hostility, if your actions harm other people or their freeom to choose how to live. And I tend to stay away from the boots of beings who don't care about me (actually, I tend to stay away from any boot)...

[quote:3k23jgne]Such righteous hatred my enemies seem to share.[/quote:3k23jgne]
I don't know who your enemies are, but -considering what you said above- if Eilistraeens are your foes, then they don't share any righteous hatred, for reasons I've already explained.

[quote:3k23jgne]And so I come to a fork in the road. Do I choose righteous hatred, or hateful righteousness? [/quote:3k23jgne]
Have you ever thought that you can choose something outside of those two things? Because it is totally possible...

[quote:3k23jgne]And what do you choose, Drow? What do you choose, owner of the boot?[/quote:3k23jgne]
I choose none': I find both of them stupid. And I don't wear boots, nor would I keep you beneath them for any reason...

[quote:3k23jgne]We are both outcasts. Be glad you’ve found a “pleasant Lolth.” As of yet, I know of no “pleasant Ghaunadaur,” do you? And PLEASE don’t grow offended by such a simple statement. You know what I meant, and I’m not in the mood.[/quote:3k23jgne]
Why do you want a ''pleasant Ghaundadaur''? If there isn't any ''greater entity'' that reflects and fits your being, but you feel the need for it, why don't you ''create'' one made up of all the ideas you consider important (In D&D worlds this could actually give birth to a deity or some outsider, if spread enough)? Besides, having some kind of deity to inspire and ''be there'' for you can be cool, but it isn't necessary: mortals -and even you, for yourself- can be very good at that.

[quote:3k23jgne]And so, of course, what should I do? [/quote:3k23jgne]
You should stay away from boots, especially from the ones of people who don't care about you.

[quote:3k23jgne]Or…what do you do…if she is truly missing?[/quote:3k23jgne]
Uh.. I find her.

[quote:3k23jgne]Sister, brother…are we in hell?[/quote:3k23jgne]

Things can be messy and frustrating at times (well most of the times), so yeah: we're in some kind of hell. It is what we've got tho, and can't/don't know yet how to change it and this means that the most reasonable thing we could do is making the most out of it.

Ok, these posts [i:3k23jgne]are[/i:3k23jgne] weird, kind of funny, tho...
Last edited by Irennan on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

I infer that ''pleasant Lolth'' refers to Eilistraee a female Drow Deity that is good and opposed to Lolth that is evil.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Yes, it makes sense, considering that (if I understand correctly) he wants to find a deity that fits him (as in reflects what he is, like in ''Lolth is the goddess of drow'') but -unlike Ghaundadur or Lolth- is pleasant to worship.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

I got to thinking about races good that live subterranean, dwarf comes to mind as one race one might look to for a deity.