2nd edition Eilistraee and Armor

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Kirintha the Fair
Regular

2nd edition Eilistraee and Armor

Post by Kirintha the Fair »

always been curious any ideas why Eilistraee in 2nd edition didnt approve of nonmagical armor?
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: 2nd edition Eilistraee and Armor

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well mostly because it as not as good of magical armor I would think, also it, IIRC, weighed half as much. Would need to check 2nd rules to be sure about weight rules.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote:29b9jo43]Magical Elven Chain Mail

Ordinary elven chain mail is rare in the extreme, but magical elven chain is so precious a gift that only a handful of suits have been rumored to exist anywhere but in royal elven hands.
In addition to the normal weight and flexibility advantages of elven chain, magical elven chain mail is so weightless that it can be worn under one's normal clothes. It is so comfortable and unrestrictive that it can be worn constantly, even while sleeping. Magical elven chain is so soft to the touch that it can be worn without any padding beneath it. This makes magical elven chain the ideal armor for travelers, excluding only the greatest of knights, who by tradition prefer plated armors over all others.

For rogues especially, a set of magical elven chain mail is a more prized possession than even full plate armor +1. Adventurers have lost their lives over mere rumors of magical elven chain.

(See also Elf, Monstrous Manual and Elves, Player’s Handbook)

Drow Chain Mail (AC 4)

Description: Drow chain mail is a finely-crafted, satiny black metal mesh that does not encumber its wearer in the least. It is similar, but not identical to, the magical elven chain mail described previously. It is typically fashioned only into tunics, as drow elves share their forest-bound cousins' preference for armor that adequately protects without being overly weighty or restrictive.

[/quote:29b9jo43]
Shriastae Tivale
Maid
Maid

Post by Shriastae Tivale »

I'm assuming it's the same reason why she's always depicted as dancing [i:1a4gd2lw]naked[/i:1a4gd2lw].
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

They way I understood it is that followers of Eilistraee are seen as dancers, generally preferring freedom of movement in combat over protection. The reason that they do allow magical armor then is probably a rules things where a dodge bonus doesn't really make up for the additional protection and power magical armor gives.

At least that has been my interpretation.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee