Question about New Followers of Eilistraee

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

C'nor
Maid
Maid

Question about New Followers of Eilistraee

Post by C'nor »

Is there any sort of defined procedure for how one of Eilistraee's clerics would have someone join, whether as a cleric or simply a general worshipper? One of my characters on another forum is doing so, and since I couldn't find anything about it on google, I figured that asking here was probably the best option.

Also, sorry if this should go in General Discussion, or some third place... This just seemed like the most appropriate spot, and the one that was likeliest to have people that might know.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: Question about New Followers of Eilistraee

Post by Bhaern Quel »

This is the correct place to discuss. In the end you might get different interpertations of what is required, I might even revise during the discussion that should occur.

Clerics of course face the hardest time because they change their patron deity. In here I see three cases.
1) Cleric of an ally/fiend of Eilistraee, something along the lines of trading holy symbols with proper and due honor given to the other deity. (You should remember though this discussion, a Patron deity is never the only deity that is honored and worshiped, just the one a person dedicates to.)
2) Change from a deity not a foe of Eilistraee. This would at minimum require a cleansing and some lessons of the faith before accepted. Depending on pass history an atonement might be needed.
3) Changing from Lolth or other Evil deity opposed to Eilistraee, atonement would certainly be required. Other requirements would be alignment check, more lessons, likely questioned in a zone of truth to make sure conversion is a true one.

Becoming a follower is much easier, though clearly detect Evil would be a concern, the Dogma says strangers are your friends. All that come unless in battle are accepted as friends unless they clearly do something unfriendly. Of course there would be offered lessons, dogma of course explained to those that have not heard the message.

There is a third way to worship Eilistraee, D&D is pantheist, that is many deities get worshiped by each individual Under this option of course Patron deity would not change, just that another deity might come to aid in some small way in times of need.
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Post by Rainbow Prism »

To be honest, there are no specified ways that are fixed. As in many chaotic aligned faiths, order is rare thing here. So I imagine initiation varies from temple to temple. It may be dance around the bonfire, good feast, ceremonial hunt, singing contest... Anything.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Rainbow Prism":k0ec39p9]To be honest, there are no specified ways that are fixed. As in many chaotic aligned faiths, order is rare thing here. So I imagine initiation varies from temple to temple. It may be dance around the bonfire, good feast, ceremonial hunt, singing contest... Anything.[/quote:k0ec39p9]

In some ways I do agree, each local group would indeed have their own way. I though disagree crafting a sword or singing a song earns membership. There will be tests of trust, truth and devotion, these tests though can take many forms.
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Post by Rainbow Prism »

Some of these tests can say more about the individual than it implies. Ever imagine an evil drow whose only goal was to infiltrate and destroy the cult when he/she has to suddenly sing something? Imagine what his/her face will be like.