Umberlee - more successful than YOUR favourite evil god?

Since the Chosen of Eilistraee is a religious oriented player group, naturally there is a place to have theological discussions. That is in-game religions; please leave real-world religion out of it. Debate the fine points of a certain dogma, how a church can enforce worship while staying true to its tenets or simply why one deity is better than another one is. All are free to talk about it here.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

When you hang around with a pair of ninjas all day, you tend to learn something :p

Besides, being an atypical paladin is all the more fun, get to hammer some idiots heads in, do some justice all the while and don't have to be the up tight bothersome types.
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Kirintha the Fair
Regular

Re: Umberlee - more successful than YOUR favourite evil god?

Post by Kirintha the Fair »

wondered for a bit?

how do you think Eilistraee would feel about praying to umberlee before an oceanic voyage, Auril in Winter etc.

on one hand she does NOT approve of those gods

on the other, I think she, (grudgingly) accepts in those situations your in their domain and its best not to antaganize them...
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

In Faerun most people are polytheists, and pay homage to all gods. I think that a drow or an elf would rather pray to Deep Sashelas, but being a follower of Eilistraee first doesn't mean that you don't have to ever pray other gods (that's what Lolth wants, Eilistraee values freedom in choice, and goes out of her way to try to not impose or artificially alter the choices of her people).

I mean, for example, a mother whose child was murdered could easily pray to Selune for strength and guidance through a hard time, and then *also* pray to Shar to aid her in bringing justice and revenge to the murderer. If that's possible, then followers of Eilistraee first can very well pay homage to Umberlee to avoid her wrath when sailing.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Eilistraee like all deities have listed allies and listed foes. From 2nd: [quote:3e005vwa] ALLIES: Callarduaran Smoothhands, Haela Brightaxe,
Lurue, Mystra, the Seldarine, Selune

FOES: Deep Duerra, Kiaransalee, Laduguer,
Ghaunadaur, Lolth, Malar, Selvetarm,
Vhaeraun, Blibdoolpoolp, the Blood Queen,
Diinkarazan, Diirinka, Great Mother, Gzemnid,
Ilsensine, Ilxendren, Laogzed [/quote:3e005vwa]

Umberlee is not on this list. The Dark Maiden would be far more concerned about offers made to Lolth then Umberlee and if the safe trip furthered her cause might even approve of a minor honor to an Evil Deity.
Kirintha the Fair
Regular

on the enemys list lloth and the rest of the Dark Seldarine are a given , but why Blibdoolpoolp (had to copy and paste) or the blood Queen.

in particular I mean, not sure who either of them are...

great Mother Im guessing its because shes the goddess of the beholders and makes the underdark a more dangerous place?
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Blibdoolpoolp is basically the Kuo-toa Lolth: "The Sea Mother is warped by her hatred of the surface-dwelling races that drove her children into the depths in the ancient past, and broods over her people while plotting revenge. It could be inferred from this that she has no allies among the surface deities, and possibly none at all."

The Great Mother promotes aggression against the drow

The Blood Queen is the aboleth deity of oppression. Eilistraee is clearly infuriated by things like that.
Kirintha the Fair
Regular

Why isnt Gruumish or Kurtalenek (The kobold god whos name i have no idea how close I came to spelling right) on the list?

fair question I think.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

I honestly have no idea. Maybe the list was as long as it was, and they decided that Eilistraee would prioritize fighting threats that more directly affected her followers and her goal. Maybe the list focuses on enemies that Eilistraee actively fights, rather than all those who oppose her principles (because otherwise the list would be endless).

However, I'm not sure that Eilistraee and her followers would have many reasons to actively fight kobolds. And orcs would be fought only when they prove to be a threat, not a priori (that's what Corellon wants). Kurtulmak is a deity of war and mining, so it isn't inherently opposed to her. Gruumsh is a deity of conquest, survival and strength, so he only has one tendency that Eilistraee would refuse. That said, the Dark Dancer doesn't seem to like deities of war, and Kurtulmak does encourage kobolds to fight gnomes for no real reason at all other than pettiness, while Gruumsh encourages the orcs to be raiders in general.

However, it is wise to not pick too many fights at the same time. Especially when she is a lesser goddess, when she's effing alone (since the Seldarine might as well not be your allies, given that they don't give a flying about her and the drow; although Mystra does seem to care about Eilistraee, given that Ed said that it was Mystra to help her to survive after the LP bullshit), and whe she is already fighting an uphill battle, opposed by many. Besides, things like hate and warmongering cannot be fought with weapons, but--like Eilistraee herself says--by promoting harmony and acceptance among all races. So yes, she would defend her people and whoever is attacked by followers of Gruumsh and Kurtulmak, but she wouldn't go out of her way to find and fight them.