sword fighting

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

well if your ever in central louisisana give me a yell and we will test our theorys and you can be that well a shot you gust have to practice . single combat happens if you wont it to happen you gust have to stay from the masses.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=indigo:3tr4o8qv]*attacks olath just to test his skill* ;) [/color:3tr4o8qv]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

harmlessly parries it to the side wide with one sword and thrust with the hilt of the other stoping inches from unaenas belly ...... and "poke" :angel: chukles at how fun it is sparring with a friend.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

:roll: [color=indigo:uml2ifzq]Well, so much for that.[/color:uml2ifzq]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

:D lets do it again (double thrust's low at unaen's stomach!)
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:3oolqooe]"And Drizzt, ahem, I mean I, shall now use the standard counter, double cross down, but with a twist: I shall kick up with my foot, and lightly push Olath back with my toe. (rather than kicking poor olath in the face during some friendly sparring)* :angel: [/color:3oolqooe]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
olathkaldaka
Maid
Maid

Post by olathkaldaka »

very good olath say , as i use one of my blades to prop me from falling and spinning my body weight back around to kick the one remaining foot from under you :P fun again

ps , this is olath i had to make a new profile considering i cant remmeber my password from ooo 06 lol
Shihouin10
Maid
Maid

Post by Shihouin10 »

Sorry to cut in like this. Pun intended.

I have not been sword fighting for very long, but I seem to be doing just fine with it. My "choice" of weapon is a 69" Odachi, a cross between a katana and a great sword. I also use a short sword, a wakizashi, a spear, and a little bit of dagger work. I am the founder and leader of my high school's Role-playing club, where one of our main events is beating each other senseless with PVC, foam, and duct tape weapons. ;)

Below is a link to read about us in the school newspaper.
http://www.vforviking.com/2010/03/playi ... comment-12
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Does anyone even know what real sword play is anymore? Here in Poland we have quite a tradition for beating each other senselessly with real (but not sharp, as it's illegal to have a weapon with a blade longer than 20cm here in Poland) swords. People spend money to buy new armors, swords, they train, they meet and they fight. Nothing is based on fixed choreography, everything is solid steel. The border of 'real' sword fighting goes through Poland. West of it are a bunch of rich pussies that think they know how to fight (either an improvised fight with wooden imitations or a choreographed fight with metal). A good friend of mine went to a tournament to Spain or Portugal (I don't remember which) and beat the so called grand master of Spanish nights in under 30 sec. How humiliating is that? Whereas east of Poland things get even better. The tournaments in Lithuania or Ukraine are known to have mortal casualties from time to time. THAT'S sword fighting.
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

If by beating each other senseless with steel weapons, you mean that both combatants hammer each other until they both can't continue, I'll not argue. But swordplay by its very definition implies that both combatants have sharpened weapons, and that one of them will not be getting back up when to dual ends in a very permanent way.
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

Argoth,

I believe there is a general revival in the study of western martial arts these days, as evidenced by re-enactment groups etc.

Here in Australia, I'm a meber of 2 such groups, the new Varangian Guards [Viking & Anglo-Saxon mercanaries to the byzantine emperors] and the Southern Cross Auxiliaries [roman - mid 2nd century].

We do have real weapons [spring steel - VERY good :devil: ]

but we TRAIN with wooden weighted weapons.

So do not despair if the laws in Polandforbid you to possess proper weapons. It is far better to train and master practice weapons and let me assure you, you can do SERIOUS injuries, and perhaps even kill people with such weapons if you are not pulling your strikes. So get involved with a group and get swinging!

Argoth = Polish Armoured Lancer extrodinaire!
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Here everyone trains with metal weapons, and it works well enough. Injuries are on everyday basis, but that's what makes it the more exciting. ;)
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

I'll have to agree with Argoth on that one, training with metal weapons is fun, just make sure that the weapons are NOT sharpened when you do; I've had more than my fair share of run ins with that situation, of course the pain is still real, so you still learn from it.
In War, Justice; In Peace, Hope; In Death: Sacrifice
Characters:

Veraka

Onix
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Even blunt swords are capable of breading bones. You might not draw blood, however still do serious damage.

There are historical reports of a duelist preferring the wooden practice sword (likely because of weight) to defeat (with injuries) a metal wielding foe.
Also bodies from battles in armor often had broken bones without aror pieced.
Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind
Resident

Post by Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind »

[quote="Bhaern Quel":2a46fauo]Even blunt swords are capable of breading bones. You might not draw blood, however still do serious damage.

There are historical reports of a duelist preferring the wooden practice sword (likely because of weight) to defeat (with injuries) a metal wielding foe.
Also bodies from battles in armor often had broken bones without aror pieced.[/quote:2a46fauo]
Pretty sure that'd only be a preference when up against someone of notably lower skill than themselves. Block a couple of wooden-sword hits with the metal blade and you're gonna be sundering their weapon; sounds like it would be the equivalent of knifing people in counterstrike. You COULD shoot them, but it's far more humiliating if you significantly handicap yourself and then dominate.

Just personal scepticism and opinion here, I have no reference for this other that the fact that taking up a wooden sword against a metal one is a rather obviously bad idea.