sword fighting

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

so how is the practice going.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[color=indigo:3nx8aln7]I found out at the last Rennaisance fair that there [i:3nx8aln7]is[/i:3nx8aln7] a SCA group, they're just not listed on the net. Haven't joined yet, but i'm thinking about it. Incidentally, 2-bladed swords rock.[/color:3nx8aln7]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

I am glad every thing is working out for you unaena. And my apologies to all for my absence (bows low) my work keeps me busy.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

You don't say... ;) I;ve always wanted to make (buy at a blacksmiths) myself a real longsword. Once I had to do with a bastard. It was good to hold in two hands, couse I"m not that strong to wave it around singlehandedly. It was a good double hander for me. Still my dream are two short swords, or a katana.
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

*sighs in frustration* The things I miss when I don't have internet access.

On fencing: The thickness of the foil or rapier depends heavily on the style, I'm no expert on fencing or most European styles of Swordsmanship but I do recall the Florentine style used a somewhat wide Rapier with a knife in the off hand.

I've had formal training in Kali (better known as *gag* Escrima), Knife combat, the use of a Claymore (both kinds) and a crash course in Kendo.

As far as personal style goes I'm fond of using a Falchion in my main-hand and a Warhammer or Morningstar in my off hand, this gives me a weapon effective again unarmored foes in one hand and a weapon extremely effective against armored foes in the other.

On an note of considerible personal annoyance: There is no style of sword known as a scimitar, infact nearly all middle-eastern swords can be called scimitars though the word itself (derived from a persian word meaning "tail of the lion") doesn't directly apply to any of them, with the Shamshir, Kilij, Tulwar, Nimcha, Pulwar and Kopesh being the most notible examples.
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:5t5lqou8]Would appreciate a picture or a description of each of those listed.[/color:5t5lqou8]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

true but the scimitar has afew diffrent virsions there are the slender ones then the ones that are classified as falchions they often call them scimitars . me i will use anyl slightly curved sword that the blade is the size no bigger than a katana.

I use two scimitars in combat . i carry a curved bowie knife on the back of my belt and a boot knife . then i have my bow on my back for long range .

I rarely use broad swords and i never use maces ,but i do eventualy take the effort to use every style of weapon to familarize my self with others styles of combat to further my knowledge of my enemys capabilities and possible attacks against me .
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

[quote="Unen_Stealthfoot":3tm0inyk][color=darkred:3tm0inyk]Would appreciate a picture or a description of each of those listed.[/color:3tm0inyk][/quote:3tm0inyk]

Shamshir
[img:3tm0inyk]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... shir1o.jpg[/img:3tm0inyk]

Tulwar
[img:3tm0inyk]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... 210833.JPG[/img:3tm0inyk]

Kopesh
[img:3tm0inyk]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... hopesh.jpg[/img:3tm0inyk]

or just refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scimitar

[quote:3tm0inyk]true but the scimitar has afew diffrent virsions there are the slender ones then the ones that are classified as falchions they often call them scimitars . me i will use anyl slightly curved sword that the blade is the size no bigger than a katana.[/quote:3tm0inyk]

No a Scimitar is no different from a Sabre, and so properly speaking you dual weild sabres. And to be more specific on my own post the pattern of sword I'm most fond of is the falcata. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcata )

[quote:3tm0inyk]I use two scimitars in combat . i carry a curved bowie knife on the back of my belt and a boot knife . then i have my bow on my back for long range . [/quote:3tm0inyk]

A little much to be carrying into combat, no?

[quote:3tm0inyk]I rarely use broad swords and i never use maces ,but i do eventualy take the effort to use every style of weapon to familarize my self with others styles of combat to further my knowledge of my enemys capabilities and possible attacks against me .[/quote:3tm0inyk]

So how exactly would you handle a man in plate armor? Nevermind a Knight (born and raised in the stuff) just someone reasonably familiar with his armor. None of your weapons have the mass to much more make his ears ring and the curve of your knife makes it rather dificult to effectivly thrust between the gaps in the armor.

I don't mean to belittle you or your choice of weapons, I just feel that if one is going to master the use of a wepaon(s) it should atleast have been practical through the bulk of the middle ages.[/quote]
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire
Payke
Maid
Maid

Post by Payke »

Interesting thing you're having discussions about here.

I never practiced in using any weapon, but I do know which one
I would prefer to be skilled in using efficiently.

A spear got nice range to most weapons (not counting projectile),
and I have seen what can be done with a bo staff.
Making a combined bo-spear staff would be ideal to put down enemies,

not that anyone today would charge on a horse, but it would be
efficient against that, or someone charging you on a bike or what relations you can think of,
related to today.

Not worrying to much about that heavy armor stuff, the more they weight, the better chance for me they actually stay down.
Finishing them off with the spear part, or a weapon carried for such a purpose.

K, that was the basics of why prefer a to be efficiently skilled in
a combined bo-spear staff.
Elros Tasartiir
Maid
Maid

Post by Elros Tasartiir »

A topic on Swordfighting? MINE :D
Well, i use bastard swords..XI-XII century style (if you know the Flos Duellatorum by Fiore de' Liberi).
I'm part of an historical associacion who makes battles, sieges, duels and fights on the many medieval fairs we have in Italy...never had that much fun in my entire life..even if bruises and so on are countless :p
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[color=darkred:3nyek0r6]The tulwar looks like my kinda thing. Katanas are of course great to, and so are spears. Anyone see Donnie Yen in [i:3nyek0r6]Hero[/i:3nyek0r6] fighting with Jet Li? Just goes to show how useful a spear can be.[/color:3nyek0r6]
Life before death
Strength before weakness
olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

well alak you make good judges on the weapons but the weapons i use r of my own make iwould post a pic but i cant figure out how .

The reason i carry so much is that i am a Ranger the knifes r back up reasons and hunting , skining or cuting there need in battle is rare.

The reason for my bow is there is gust as much fight in picking off key targets and opertunity shots. I also prefer single combat so i let them come to me in a massive battle point of view . so i gust keep my back near a non hostile area so the fight is in front and rare are the back stabs.

As for your armored knight ... there are weakness in all types of armour it gust takes a veteran to know were . her is one tactic using my bow .the knight is waid down with heavy armour i have light wait leather armour i run ahead and let loose an arrow aimed at the gap between the breast plate and the helm(the neck) or depending on how he weilds his weapon i would aim for under the arm or the chain mail link in the groin area or any other weak area to weaken or cripple my foe .
also you mention my weapons not even able to work on armor the you can bang on it all day but why do that when on presice slice to the throat or under the arm from the razor sharp edge of a curved sword can end it all in a second.

The well aimed thrust of a curved knife can easily find an opening when laid flat on the plate an ran up the ridge and under the plate .
olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

and shirle if this gets to into detail my apologies gust please let us know(humbly bows low)
Ansith
Maid
Maid

Post by Ansith »

I know I am kinda jumping into the conversation here *apologizes*, but i agree with olath, I have known him for a good while, and i can vouch for his strategies and skills, his "live sparring partner," that was me. (OH, and i am a katana/scimitar kinda guy.)
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

[quote="olath":2zslovfn]well alak you make good judges on the weapons but the weapons i use r of my own make iwould post a pic but i cant figure out how . [/quote:2zslovfn]

Try Photobucket.

As for the rest of your post let me put it this way:

I've worn Full Plate. I'm to a terribly strong person, nor is my balance very good and I'm not all that flexible but I can do a cartwheel in the stuff and I know a couple people who can do (and hold) handstands. Plate allows far greater flexibility and is far lighter and you seem to realize

I've sparred against a handful of people in Full Plate and found that my agility afforded me no more of an advantage in speed that it did against him (her in a couple of cases) unarmored. Where it DID grant me an advantage was in endurance, but trust me, they have PLENTY of time and energy to get a killing stroke in.

Lets be realistic about a couple of things, no one living as THAT good of an Archer at anything but the closests of ranges (suicidal based on my next point), single combat doesn't happen.