sword fighting

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Drathir
Maid
Maid

Post by Drathir »

I wont bother to correct your translations of the norse words because that would involve talking about a IRL religion so suffice to say if you want to know the true meaning read the Eddas.
olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

i used a bastard sword one time but once i held and used a katana well that was it for the bastard sword.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Drathir":3tbew7zn]I wont bother to correct your translations of the norse words because that would involve talking about a IRL religion so suffice to say if you want to know the true meaning read the Eddas.[/quote:3tbew7zn]

It is not my translation, if you are refering to me. Not sure if religion discussion is totaly forbidden, just sure that it is forbidden in the Theological section of the forum, which is restrcted to FR religion as oposed to RL ones. Clearly statanism has been discusedd in general forum.
Drathir
Maid
Maid

Post by Drathir »

No I was refering to the translation that you posted although it was not originally yours... Seeing as it will get deleted if they dont like It Ill try and explain a few of those words.(The second word is for the run that accompanies the word)

Tir or Teiwaz means quite literally Warrior....It derives it name from the norse god of justice.

Ur or Uruz does mean strength but it more often refers to animals(Ox in particular)

Elhaz or Eihwaz Refers to defense and certain things made of yew

Sigel is a tough one but I believe it refers to Sowelu which quite frankly means Wholeness.... All of these runes except the last one are often used in the creation of weapons along with the rune that signifies the intended users element. I hope that my knowledge of the ancient norse has helped someone out there.
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

[quote="Zakharra":3c2xt6en]Rooky, how do you practice? I have a viking style sword and several other smaller blades. Also a Japanese calvery saber.[/quote:3c2xt6en]

I make a bunch of dummies and try out different tactics of slower death and faster death. :D

I just use those dummies and swing. Learned a lots that way.

While on decorations, my grandpa's bastard sword looks alomst like a nordic sword, exept it lacks the decorations...It's just plain huge.
:3
olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

I also use bumies for practice what do you use for material. I use tied together bamboo or live training with a friend.
Rooky
Legend

Post by Rooky »

My cousin makes a batch of that stuff that looks, feels like human skin. Then I just in shove in stuff that resembles human organs, just to see what's the damage like.

Recently I found out that a heavy enough weapon, some brute force and a 45 degree strike to beetwen the neck and shoulders and you easily chop your victim in two. And that's not the only thing that happens. Most of the orgams aren's eaven sliced, they're completly mashed and crushed. Don't ask me how I was astouned.
Aessinus
Maid
Maid

Post by Aessinus »

For live steel, here's some links for slightly more protective armor. 8)
Not sure I'd be intersted in tesing it against Rooky! :uh-huh:

http://derakon.chainmailstore.com/index.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~jschwytzer/chain_mail.html

Aessinus
~real men knit steel~
Rooky
Legend

Post by Rooky »

*Immitates evil laughter from old corny movies*
Drathir
Maid
Maid

Post by Drathir »

OH I would love to test it on her*evil grin* for ever killing stroke theres an equal block or dodge as well as a killer counter......Something you dont find out sparring on dummies.
olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

I agree Drathier there is nothing like the cross between steel and your apponents skill for the dance of blades is better lived when there is a moving thinking person as an apponent.

Also the thought of any minute you could be killed is the reason a swordsmen is called a swordsmen it is what we live for and strive for the constant search for skill and precision in our attacks, blocks, and counters we spend our lives testing and improving our skills in life and in battle a dummie cant replace that.
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

I have to drive clear across the state to get to the nearest SCA group. There isn't one anywhere near Las Vegas, NV.
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
olath
Maid
Maid

Post by olath »

create your own.
Zareari Det'tar
Maid
Maid

Post by Zareari Det'tar »

Rooky sweety, you forgot to mention how you use living cretures such as innocent dark elves for dummies as well. You still owe sixty bomes if I recall correctly.

Back on the topic, I preffer short swords and daggers. The occasional longsword is not excluded...
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

[quote="olath":3nmpk1dd]create your own.[/quote:3nmpk1dd]

Good idea, I've just never started up a new, anything. :-[
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination