150 new members.

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

150 new members.

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well things have been interesting for moderation the last few days. The bots are back from all indications as 150 have joined the last few days. Some of course might not have posted yet, however most that submitted a post got banned and post not approved. A few just got not approved for being off topic.
Irennan
Champion

Re: 150 new members.

Post by Irennan »

Myabe this will make me sound stupid, but I wonder why people bother making those ads spamming bots. Their advertismentes don't look like anyone would check them [i:2tbcu234]at all[/i:2tbcu234]...
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well because it costs little and money can be made from using them.
A bot is not hard to find for free, however making one can be a puzzle to solve (a game).
It costs little to have a bot run in the background of your own computer, it costs nothing if you can hijack some others user's computer (virus) to run the bot for you.
The rewards can be great even with legal ads. Google started by charging a faction of a cent for ad displayed with its search engine. Of course illegal gathered information certainly can pay better, the ID theft programs, etc.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I'm not convinced that they're actually 'bots' as such, but actually people who post spam. I know that there are people (particularly in countries where such labor is cheap) who get hired to spam as many places as possible. Hence why check to ensure that the poster is human often don't work (as it is actually a person posting, they're just posting spam).

[quote="Irennan":2w530kfs]Myabe this will make me sound stupid, but I wonder why people bother making those ads spamming bots. Their advertismentes don't look like anyone would check them [i:2w530kfs]at all[/i:2w530kfs]...[/quote:2w530kfs]
It's not so much about people checking the links, it's about increasing website search rankings. They more places link to a website, the higher that website's search ranking (in Google) is and the higher the search ranking the more often the site will pop up for people's legitimate searches.

At least that's my understanding.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

I see. Thanks for the explanations.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Alaric Darkrose
Regular

Post by Alaric Darkrose »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":z5rwbwy5]I'm not convinced that they're actually 'bots' as such, but actually people who post spam. I know that there are people (particularly in countries where such labor is cheap) who get hired to spam as many places as possible. Hence why check to ensure that the poster is human often don't work (as it is actually a person posting, they're just posting spam).

[quote="Irennan":z5rwbwy5]Myabe this will make me sound stupid, but I wonder why people bother making those ads spamming bots. Their advertismentes don't look like anyone would check them [i:z5rwbwy5]at all[/i:z5rwbwy5]...[/quote:z5rwbwy5]
It's not so much about people checking the links, it's about increasing website search rankings. They more places link to a website, the higher that website's search ranking (in Google) is and the higher the search ranking the more often the site will pop up for people's legitimate searches.

At least that's my understanding.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:z5rwbwy5]
It's not just Google. Most major corporations that host a search engine do this, as well. It's mostly for business that cannot afford to outright buy ad space on a search result. But in Google's case, they send out people to sell "ad words." My girlfriend's former company was constantly pressured to purchase these.
"There are those who think, and those who dream. I, for one, refuse to choose between the two." -Liriel Baenre.

Dostrealt
Maid
Maid

Post by Dostrealt »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":3azc04ho]It's not so much about people checking the links, it's about increasing website search rankings. They more places link to a website, the higher that website's search ranking (in Google) is and the higher the search ranking the more often the site will pop up for people's legitimate searches.

At least that's my understanding.[/quote:3azc04ho]

That is my understanding too.

Regular spammers are bad enough, but I see two types of spammers who are a bit tougher to deal with.

Signature spammers post "I agree" posts in threads (sometimes they seem to automatically generate a sentence that contains some words from the actual thread) and profile spammers do not post any obvious spam, but use the website link in their forum profile to point to a website.

I do spam patrol elsewhere and one of the problems I see is that moderators can deal with regular spam, but administrators need to remove spam signatures or spam links in profiles. If spambots make a mass attack on a forum, they can often set up fake accounts faster than a human admin can block them.

Sadly, I have seen a few previously awesome communities killed after being totally overrun by spambots. >:(