Language Pronunciation

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

vy260
Maid
Maid

Language Pronunciation

Post by vy260 »

[font=MS Mincho:1r6fy5i5]Hello fellow Drow and followers of Eilistraee!

Frist of all, I want to apologize for potential flaws in spelling and gramatics since I am not a native speaker.
Not that this is out of the way, let me get straight to the point. For quite a long time I've been using the language provided by this awesome comunity but I've never ever found a guide to the pronunciation.
Sure, in a written Rollplay it serves its purposes but I never could imagine how the language is spoken by a real tounge. Is it even possible for our mere human forms of articualtion to utter such noises?

If there are some auido recordings or similar existant, I'd be quite curious to see/hear them.
Thank you in advance,[/font:1r6fy5i5]
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: Language Pronunciation

Post by Bhaern Quel »

I have thought about this a little before replying. In general I sound out the words as I believe that should be said.

I did find this site http://www.wizardsofthecoast-digital.co ... pg=33#pg33 that might help a little, however does not cover much.

As for audios, I believe Ed Greenwood and others have put out a few role play vids with sound, however I do not know of any of them.
Kaote Bruchedaine
Maid
Maid

Post by Kaote Bruchedaine »

I would also dare to suggest taking a look at audible now for some of our favorite books have been put to audio book now.
Sykokitti
Maid
Maid

Post by Sykokitti »

Interested in pronunciation of drow family names. In particular, how would one pronounce House Rasivrein? Not sure where the emphasis would be in the syllables.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I'm not sure to be honest. I don't think that there are hand-and-fast rules for pronunciation anyway. Just... pick something and stick with it? Yes, very helpful, I know. :P

And welcome to the forums. May you find a home of sorts here. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Sykokitti
Maid
Maid

Post by Sykokitti »

Fair enough. How about a second opinion? What do you think sounds better? I'm playing a female half-drow (Pathfinder setting), a daughter of one of the twelve noble Drow lines, House Rasivrein. Do you think RAZ iv rayne or raz IV rin or raz iv RAYNE or something else, given the overall tone of the language? Thanks for the welcome :)
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Personally I would probably naturally go with the last option and put the emphasis on the final syllable. But honestly, use what feels more natural to you I'd say. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Sykokitti
Maid
Maid

Post by Sykokitti »

Thanks!