General wellness check

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shae
Maid
Maid

Re: General wellness check

Post by Shae »

Shir'le E. Illios wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:12 am So everything is fine with me and mine. And I'm glad to hear that you are all well too. And again my apologies for not checking in sooner.
Also glad to hear that you and your family are well. :D Are you by chance also masking up if you need to go to the store? I read the London mayor was suggesting it.
Leema Har'gachi wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:29 am (I kind of trapped in my dorm myself trying to keep up with my now online college school work and am usually feeling the need for social activity myself).
I know you said you were fine where you were regardless, even before stay at home was issued for MO, but it's still good to hear that you're in with the rest of us anyway. :)
Irennan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:27 pm Glad to hear from you too, Shae.
Likewise. :)
Irennan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:27 pm From my experience here, I think that an actual lockdown is needed, as early as possible. People always seem to believe that this disease won't spread in their region. They don't understand how the math of an epidemic works. By the time you're registering N cases, chances are the *actual* number of cases is about one *order of magnitude* above that--it's just that the hidden cases have yet to "bloom", but they're already infective at that stage. It's why testing as many people as possible is VITAL, and why immediate lockdown is vital too.
True. I didn't feel entirely comfortable calling my state's shelter order a lockdown when it first came out. I don't want to minimize what it's been like for people in "hard" lockdown, and when I posted, the nature of lockdowns overseas appeared more severe, sometimes much more so, than what I was seeing locally. In the beginning, they weren't even officially enforcing it. But by this point I concede it's a lockdown regardless, as they've continuously tightened the extent of it ever since and are handing out $1000 tickets by now, although most people have been observing the order (granted, there is still some real crazy happening in outlying areas on occasion.) From the time the order went through in March, the news outlets never doubted it was a lockdown anyway. In the end, I was quibbling over a matter of gradation, really.
Irennan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:27 pm Other countries don't have just China to learn from, they have Italy too. They have seen how quickly and how dramatically the situation has devolved here, they should act accordingly.
Yes, true, it's really a pity what "should" happen is so rarely what does happen. Unfortunately our current federal government is kind of a hot mess and reportedly hadn't been paying attention to many developments they 'should have' for quite some time, so the consequent national response was the litany of missed or fumbled chances you'd expect. :roll: State and local government response has been better, but given the current federal ambiguity, they have all kind of just been doing their own thing, so the overall response is still somewhat discombobulated, I guess. CA has now been in lockdown for a month and the state thinks we now have our curve more or less under control, so they're thinking about how they might re-open now, but unless/until they figure out how to close the (currently huge) testing gap, hard to say how this ends. Mass testing is most definitely our biggest issue right now.
Well known path to Chang'an resembles yiqi.
Hundred years of life cannot bear the grief.

--Du Fu
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Shae wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:43 am Are you by chance also masking up if you need to go to the store? I read the London mayor was suggesting it.
No, I'm not since I don't have any masks. Though when I go to the store (once a week at most) it's so early there is hardly anyone around anyway.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

It seems you're set, then. Though, if at any point you feel you'd need one, perhaps a scarf or bandana, if it's difficult to obtain masks? I have a friend in WA that just went around with half her face wrapped in a bandana or turning up a high turtleneck when shopping and figured that was better than nothing (even the US House speaker has been doing that.) But then I suppose the UK probably has more regular worker protections vis a vis Stateside; here a number of grocery workers have done strikes over the lack of safeguards at the workplace, like masks, gloves etc. :-[
Well known path to Chang'an resembles yiqi.
Hundred years of life cannot bear the grief.

--Du Fu
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

In the local supermarket the workers are wearing gloves and they put up these plexiglass screens between the cash register and the customers.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Draal Shakhaar
Maid
Maid

Post by Draal Shakhaar »

Doing alright. Staying safe. Alas, forced by lack of employment opportunities to live with my parents. In lieu of not being able to provide a share of income to help out, I assist them with tasks that they have difficulty with on account of arthritis.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

That's pretty much my situation as well. I'm just tired of this state.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Hang in there everyone. As they say: this too shall pass.

And stay safe.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee