Hello

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Hello

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Hello,

I joined the boards today. I hope this forum is the right place to write an introduction. (If not, can a kindly mod' move it?)

Some of you may know me from the Menzoberranzan forum that was alive about 9 - 5 years ago. I was a moderator there. I am hoping to set up an online role-playing game here in the next few weeks, if any of you would be interested.

For moment, I'd like to say hello and say how pleased I am that a drow forum is still around on the web. Greetings to you all.
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

Hail & well met and glad to have you aboard 8)

this is as good a place as any to introduce yourself.

Feel free to start up an RP thread or try in slip ionto sopme of the current threads.

Hope you make yourself a new home of sorts here.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

T'riss'ae_d'wylthen
Maid
Maid

Post by T'riss'ae_d'wylthen »

Hello and welcome :D I'd be interested in joining that thread...only thing is if it's like the DM'd campaign like Tawny's running my current chara (or any others) have the proper D&D stats and stuff. But otherwise...yeah! And again welcome.
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

[quote="T'riss'ae_d'wylthen":18vsqrsv] I'd be interested in joining that thread...only thing is if it's like the DM'd campaign like Tawny's running my current chara (or any others) have the proper D&D stats and stuff.[/quote:18vsqrsv]

Thanks for the welcome, and Thanks to Talwyn for his welcome too.

With regard to the game, I'm thinking of setting it in the context of a newly founded city. Each player represents a House, they can play either a patron or matron. In true drow fashion each house is looking to gain advantage and rise to the position of First House.

As it is a newly founded city, there are a number of things each player can do to increase their House's prestige. Obviously, the Houses need to grow in terms of number, wealth and influence.

The game can answer questions like which deity will be city's chief deity. Is it a city where mages, clerics or warriors dominate? Is it a good, evil or neutral city?

I don't envisage that players need to draw up lots of stats.
T'riss'ae_d'wylthen
Maid
Maid

Ok great!
T'riss'ae_d'wylthen
Maid
Maid

Hmmm... I assume you're staying away from Cannon Houses so that would mean inventing your own House correct? And would this new city worship Lloth or other dieties like her? Or Eilistraee? Where would it be located?
Rhei Lor'akris
Regular

Post by Rhei Lor'akris »

Salutations and welcome, Kiaransalyn.

I was once known as Ilmyrn Glannath on the old Menzoberranzan boards. It is good to see you again. :)
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

[quote="T'riss'ae_d'wylthen":3jzodn5w]Hmmm... I assume you're staying away from Cannon Houses so that would mean inventing your own House correct? [/quote:3jzodn5w]

Yes, that's correct. The Houses will be called what the players want to call them, so there's no reason you couldn't have House D'Wylthen. There's no reason you couldn't have a House Baenre, assuming it's founder was a Baenre. However, no canon NPC's will be used in the game. The game will go in its own direction...hopefully.

[quote="T'riss'ae_d'wylthen":3jzodn5w]And would this new city worship Lloth or other dieties like her? Or Eilistraee? [/quote:3jzodn5w]

That depends on the players and how the game goes. I envisage that at the start each House will have its own preferred deity. Lolth could be worshipped by some, Eilistraee by others.

The game's dynamic will probably be improved by the conflict by different Houses having different deities but needing to work together.

[quote="T'riss'ae_d'wylthen":3jzodn5w]Where would it be located?[/quote:3jzodn5w]

I'm picturing a surface setting on a demi-plane. Somewhere with minimal links to Faerun.
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

[quote="Rhei Lor'akris":jcvgaq5z]Salutations and welcome, Kiaransalyn.

I was once known as Ilmyrn Glannath on the old Menzoberranzan boards. It is good to see you again. :)[/quote:jcvgaq5z]

Hello again.

I just about remember you but it's been a few years. Did you once play a cleric of Ghaunadaur?

Anyway, it's good to resume your acquaintance.
Rhei Lor'akris
Regular

Post by Rhei Lor'akris »

[quote="Kiaransalyn":1hqbcux4]I just about remember you but it's been a few years. Did you once play a cleric of Ghaunadaur?[/quote:1hqbcux4]

I didn't. However; I briefly played a ranger belonging to that cult during an open house NWN event, back in 2004.

*edited for grammer*
Last edited by Rhei Lor'akris on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

I gather that since you are not going with a canonial setting, it's a wholey new realm and not FR?

While I applaud you for the originality, and I completely understand the want to move away from bumping into canon NPC's, places etc, a great deal of background will probably be required for players to have a common frame of reference for their PC's.

Just reflecting on the last statement, I suddenly had a small epiphany: one of the biggest shocks to D&D was WotC's nuking of FR with its spellplague and fastfwd time jump. This stunned people/fans etc and removed them from what they knew and were comfortable with to an alien and unfamiliar setting. But I digress..

What I'm trying to say is that by sticking with a common reference framework, ie; Forgotten realms prior to spellplague and the Lady penitent fiasco, it is easy then to jump in and go with RP as most players are cogniscient of what to expect. Sure not everyone is a full bucket on realms lore but it's very easy to reference information and locate sources. Candlekeep.com is a platinum mine of lore on FR and there are loads of sites easily googled plus plenty of open source material downloadable for free these days.

However, if you've already been working on your homebrew realm and have plenty of background material to hand out, that will be great :))

I am also curious as to what happened to your old forums? Did it fall apart? shut down due to lack of interest/participation? The reason I ask is that I'd hate to see history repeating here and this site eventually disappear because no one wants to think about Eilistraee anymore. I dout that because I still see many drow fans, even those who are ardent Llothites ;) lamment the loss of Eilistraee. Lloth and the drow in general, needed a balancing force of good against her overwhelming evil. WotC don't get that :bored:
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

T'riss'ae_d'wylthen
Maid
Maid

Bravo!! :D hehehe
T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

Vendui Kiaransalyn :)
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

[quote="T'riss'ae_d'wylthen":12jtfzf2]Bravo!! :D hehehe[/quote:12jtfzf2]

umm...thanks?

What did I say that got the applause? My stance on WotC? ;)

If you have a read through some of the threads here, you'll find that this is an opinion shared by everyone. WotC are beyond evil incarante, they are anethema, the worst of the worst.

They belong in the lowest part of the 9th circle of hell, frozen solid in excrement for all eternity directly below Satan's anus :devil:

I don't think I'm being to harsh now :devil: that's getting off lightly for their crimes against D&D :devil:

T'riss'ae_d'wylthen
Maid
Maid

Lol. Aparently my "bravo" was said without the knowledge backing it. What's WotC? I've read a tiny bit about the spell plague and about how Lloth killed Eilistraee but that's about it.