Hello

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

Interest interpretation on capitalism as chaotic evil. I would have put it in the Neutral evil basket as it's morer mercanary and truly nasty.

And absolutely, CE, LG etc don't equate to stupid :bored:
The amount of times I';ve seen people on NWN servers acting like psychotic morons on crack cocaine because they're CE and therefore being true to the AL unbeleivable :roll: Conversely, paladins acting like Buddhist Monks with a side of Mother Theresa being all compassionate and wanting to redeem the evil ones because they just misunderstood :uh-huh: oh please! >:( :roll:
Anyway, the alignment system does take a more thoughtful player to fully realise what it actually means to the game and their character it I think. Unfortunately some people read the DMG and PH and say, "well it's the RULES! and we must not bend the rules" shrilly and they forget that Gary Gygax said that these are a guilde to the game and can be modified to suit each group of players.

And yeah, if drow[Llothian] society is predominately CE, why isn't it like Somalia, rife with total mayhem and anarchy? Simply because CE isn't an applicaple AL to ANY society. In my view, all societies have some rules, laws and taboo's and thus they are lawful. How lawful they actually are depends but never the less, they have laws and customs otherwise they will degenerate into anarchy.
Hmm, shall we move on to discuss Thomas Hobbes and Rousseu next? ;)

And yeah ;) ya gotta love tha drow girl boobies! :p
Ahh boobs, I could play with them all day..... ;) :angel: :devil:
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

[quote="Talwyn Aureliano":3givlk8g]And yeah, if drow[Llothian] society is predominately CE, why isn't it like Somalia, rife with total mayhem and anarchy? Simply because CE isn't an applicaple AL to ANY society. In my view, all societies have some rules, laws and taboo's and thus they are lawful. How lawful they actually are depends but never the less, they have laws and customs otherwise they will degenerate into anarchy.
Hmm, shall we move on to discuss Thomas Hobbes and Rousseu next? ;) [/quote:3givlk8g]

The assigning of alignment to a society is useful if it gives you an idea of the sort of person you meet. In that sense, a CE society would let you know you're more likely to meet an individual who is selfish and believes in survival of the fittest. Whereas a LG society would see you likely to meet a person who is altruistic and thinks everyone should be given a chance to achieve their best.

However, I tend to think that although cities have character most inhabitants tend towards neutral. They're living their own lives and doing the best they can.

It comes back to our earlier point that alignment has caused too many arguments and too many in D&D use it a rule not as a suggestion.

The evolution of D&D has been towards more and more rules and less focus on the story. For me the failings of 3rd Edn (which as a general rule I liked) were summed up a WotC webpage that listed all of the possible feats. There were hundreds of feats, maybe even more than a 1,000. Considering you can only have a feat every three levels, that number gives an idea of just how many rules were circulation.

Now, of curse, someone will say but you don't have to use them all. But if you DM a number of games (especially online) then you will meet players who bring in these new influences.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Though I'd like to join the discussion, I'm a bit short on time at the moment (damn deadlines); so I'll just extend Kiaransalyn my belated welcome. It's very nice to have you here. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":376lr4wu]Though I'd like to join the discussion, I'm a bit short on time at the moment (damn deadlines); so I'll just extend Kiaransalyn my belated welcome. It's very nice to have you here. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:376lr4wu]

Hullo,

Thanks for the welcome. Are you also based in the UK?
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Yes, I am. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

[quote="Kiaransalyn":26z1el2p]

Hullo,

Thanks for the welcome. Are you also based in the UK?[/quote:26z1el2p]

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":26z1el2p]Yes, I am. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:26z1el2p]

Ahh the Land of Hope and Glory :king:

[youtube:26z1el2p]Q4-PiV75XQ0[/youtube:26z1el2p]
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Ah yes, the Goodies. They had a rivalry (friendly I think) with Monty Python. It was determined that the Goodies were funnier because they killed a man, who died from laughing at one of their sketches. Or maybe that's just an urban legend.