Concept Character Discussion

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Pheurazath
Regular

Concept Character Discussion

Post by Pheurazath »

We all have them from time to time, or at least many of us do, we fans of D&D and/or FR. Pouring over source books, learning the subtle mechanics of various templates, and making PCs out of monster races, and the like. So here I'd like to set forth a Discussion string for presenting and asking about concepts and how viable they are.

For instance, the Template for creating a Lycanthrope, not listed in the books, states that it can be applied to any carnivorous or omnivorous animal within one size category of the base creature. So I got to thinking, the giant subterranean lizards often used as mounts by Drow, are within one size category of the Drow, and are carnivorous animals. So, could there perhaps be unique strains of Lycanthropy in Underdark?

Rules for this string are pretty simple really, and I hope I don't have to spell them out for everyone. Just keep it civil and don't be too critical of each other (no one likes to have their great ideas dumped on).

I invite experienced DMs to offer their opinions on presented concepts too. After all, when players start tinkering with this stuff, the most valuable input, is whether DMs generally agree that it's a sound idea.
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

Interesting idea.

I'm trying to think what sort of underdark animal you could use but all I get is Rothe :bored:

There are already were bats and rats so that area is covered by the rules and game mechanics.

The thing that I keep coming back to is a lot of the UD critters are either reptilian or insect, i think? Not many mammals underground. Moles perhaps for possible comedic effect? :p

Being a were-mole would be a curse in more ways than one I'd say ;)
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind
Resident

Post by Ra'Sona Races-The-Wind »

Not a werecreature, but this talk of lizards and strange non-book-mentioned effects has me thinking of the pun-pun so my brain has now taken that route and is likely quite useless.

Uhhhh. . . weremindflayer? Now that would be odd.

Werehuman? That's a popular one from homebrew. That could be quite fatal.

Wereumberhulk? What do umber hulks eat anyway?
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

[quote:2j0pkg15]could there perhaps be unique strains of Lycanthropy in Underdark?[/quote:2j0pkg15]

Wouldn't there be a problem in the sense that the moon isn't visible in the Underdark? Typically, the full moon triggers the lycanthropy.

It's been a while since I browsed the rules and templates, so my comment could already have been covered.
Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

[quote:2sos4a9z]Wouldn't there be a problem in the sense that the moon isn't visible in the Underdark? Typically, the full moon triggers the lycanthropy.[/quote:2sos4a9z]

This is true, but only partially. While it is true that infected lycanthropes who are unaware of their condition require the Full Moon to trigger their transformation, those that are aware of it can begin taking ranks in the racial skill: Control Shape

Successful checks against different DCs for each sort of use for this skill, allows the infected lycanthrope to change their shape at will, without moonlight.

For those who are natural lycanthropes (born with it) the ability to change their shape at will is a racial ability that requires no skill checks. Also, there cannot be infected without at least one natural around, as infected lycanthropes do not carry 'Curse of Lycanthropy' in their bite attacks.

If I'm not mistaken it was the deity Malar who is responsible for the existence of lycanthropy in Faerun. In any case, the template for making a lycanthrope only requires that the base creature be some sort of humanoid, and the base animal be either omnivorous or carnivorous, and be within one size category difference of the base creature. The base animal must also belong to the Animal category, so Magical Beasts and such, simply don't qualify.

[quote:2sos4a9z]Being a were-mole would be a curse in more ways than one I'd say.[/quote:2sos4a9z]

Heh... why you think that? Just imagine all the damage it could do to a Lolthite city, strategically weakening several meters of stone underneath the city, all preparing for the removal of a single keystone, that drops the floor right out from under the city.
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

[quote:1edwnnnh]This is true, but only partially. While it is true that infected lycanthropes who are unaware of their condition require the Full Moon to trigger their transformation, those that are aware of it can begin taking ranks in the racial skill: Control Shape

Successful checks against different DCs for each sort of use for this skill, allows the infected lycanthrope to change their shape at will, without moonlight.

For those who are natural lycanthropes (born with it) the ability to change their shape at will is a racial ability that requires no skill checks. Also, there cannot be infected without at least one natural around, as infected lycanthropes do not carry 'Curse of Lycanthropy' in their bite attacks.[/quote:1edwnnnh]

Now you mention it I do recall reading what you say in the rulebooks. Like I say it has been a while.

The Control Shape skill, sounds akin to the Shapechange mage's spell and druid's wildshape ability. From a role-playing point of view (or rather from my own point of view) the fun with a were-character is playing him or her during their changes. If they can just turn it on and off then it loses some of its specialness. In a sense it goes from being a curse to a blessing. I can see why that has its appeal but it's not for me.
PhaeShalee
Maid
Maid

Post by PhaeShalee »

There are a few types of snakes in the underdark as well. Somewhere around here I have the Drizz'ts guide to the underdark which lists some of the animals.

I wish I could remember what they're called, but there is a type of tree snake that has an underdark equivalent. I was neutral/animal in the old books, but is CE in 3rd ed, has razor quills along it, and waits either in tall trees (or on stalagtyes (sp?) in the Underdark) and shoots itself at victims, cutting them up with it's barbs.
(Holy Liberator as optional core class, basically CG paladin)
Aramil Galanodel
Maid
Maid

Post by Aramil Galanodel »

This would sound scary, a werebasilisk!
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

theres like an underdark version of everything aint there? lol
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
nicoledc109
Maid
Maid

Post by nicoledc109 »

[quote="Kiaransalyn":qi9upbyv][quote:qi9upbyv]This is true, but only partially. While it is true that infected lycanthropes who are unaware of their condition require the Full Moon to trigger their transformation, those that are aware of it can begin taking ranks in the racial skill: Control Shape

For those who are natural lycanthropes (born with it) the ability to change their shape at will is a racial ability that requires no skill checks. Also, there cannot be infected without at least one natural around, as infected lycanthropes do not carry 'Curse of Lycanthropy' in their bite attacks.[/quote:qi9upbyv]

Now you mention it I do recall reading what you say in the rulebooks. Like I say it has been a while.

The Control Shape skill, sounds akin to the Shapechange mage's spell and druid's wildshape ability. From a role-playing point of view (or rather from my own point of view) the fun with a were-character is playing him or her during their changes. If they can just turn it on and off then it loses some of its specialness. In a sense it goes from being a curse to a blessing. I can see why that has its appeal but it's not for me.[/quote:qi9upbyv]Thanks for sharing.