Chosen of Eilistraee Campaign Group

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Chosen of Eilistraee Campaign Group

Post by Tyrmer »

With the advent of 4th edition and the unveiling of D&D Insider, more specifically the fact that Wizards are providing a free system for playing D&D over the internet, would people be interested in having an actual campaign over the net when it comes out?
Titles:

Master of the Lady's Dances
Recoverer of the Tome of Moonlight
Scribe of the Dark Maiden's Temple

High Priest of the Church of Rooky :D
Ix'Chimalxochitzin
Regular

Post by Ix'Chimalxochitzin »

I would, only i'm half doubting i'll be able to actually play, given that my Timezone (GMT+1, central Europe) generally means i'm unable to play due to it being, y'know, 3 am here at starting time.

Should fate smile on me, and said game take place at a time where i can still roleplay anything other than a low-Int Barbarian, you can count me in ^^;
-----
"Watch your step... If you fall, you'll damage the floor."
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

same think as Unpronounceable in the post above.
I'd be glad to join in but the time zone...
:3
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: Chosen of Eilistraee Campaign Group

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Tyrmer":2t5g065q]With the advent of 4th edition and the unveiling of D&D Insider, more specifically the fact that Wizards are providing a free system for playing D&D over the internet, would people be interested in having an actual campaign over the net when it comes out?[/quote:2t5g065q]

At 10 to 15 USD per month, I hardly consider it "Wizards are providing a free system for playing D&D over the internet"

You can be a free Insider now, before Game Table is released or many of the assosciated tools. Even the mags, which are free right now, appear not to be worth paying for.

I clearlty am not interested in a campaign via WotC servers, as the current track record of server managerment is extremely poor.
Alak Xiltyn
Regular

Post by Alak Xiltyn »

Put me on the "wait and see list"
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire
Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

Ah what? Bastards said it was free before if you bought the damned books hmmph. Typical Wizards ¬_¬ (this is why I use Fighters)
Titles:

Ix'Chimalxochitzin
Regular

Post by Ix'Chimalxochitzin »

*casts Recovery on Tyrmer's wallet*

Better? :angel:
-----
"Watch your step... If you fall, you'll damage the floor."
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Tyrmer":3mcwmup9]Ah what? Bastards said it was free before if you bought the damned books hmmph. Typical Wizards ¬_¬ (this is why I use Fighters)[/quote:3mcwmup9]

Not sure whom you were listening to.

Right Now Insider is free, not worth much more then free because they can not even complete the magizines. Of course now there are no 4th edition rules, no Game Table, no DM tools.

What was said at GenCon last year there would be a free oeriod of Insidered before the release of 4th (current period), that DDI would cost 9.95 a month once it went to fee. That in addition if a person purchased a book, they could pay an additional small fee to have an electronic version of what book they purchased to use with Game Table.

All in all it has changed some over the ensuing months.

When DDI goes fee there is a sliding scale, ranging 10 to about 15, depending on how many months you want to pay for.
It appears that there no longer will be a fee to unlock an electronic version of the book(s) you purchased. (I am not clear as to if ebooks will be provided at all, as recent comments appear to indicate database of books would be assessable.)

Only other thing is it appears they will be offering a free 10 day period to use beta Game Table, before that goes to fee.

In other news the DMG, PHB and MM should be at the printers now and expected to be released in June.
Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

I hate Wizards soooooooooo much some times ¬_¬
Titles:

Arathen
Maid
Maid

Post by Arathen »

there are other methods for playing over the web, at least, that are viable. I'd be happy to use one of those, honestly :)
"Courage lies not in the lack of fear...but in doing something you are afraid to."

Check out the progress on my book at http://kaavelbaelithar.deviantart.com/
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

I have to agree with Bhaern; since it costs so much I have doubt that I'll subscribe to D&D Insider.

So far it seems that the gametable is more a form of digital miniatures. Though I've heard that 4E is much harder to play without miniatures than 3E in general I'm also not really interested in a roleplaying system if I have to invest extra in miniatures to play it (be it physical ones or digital ones). Though if it can be played without them then that could be fun... but we don't need D&D Insider for that.

For the rest I'm on the fence regarding 4E until I actually know what happens to Eilistraee in it. If I don't like what I see then it's bye bye D&D (not this site though).

And beyond that it seems that NWN (and NWN2) already offer more than the gametable will... and it doesn't have a monthly fee (just a one-time purchase... and a beefier machine :p).

Anyway, at the moment I really don't see D&D Insider as worth the ridiculously high cost. Heck, MMOs charge that much and they provide all the entertainment for you with much higher quality graphics. Maybe that's very limited of me, but for me D&D Insider isn't worth more than $5 a month... and it costs three times that.

[quote="Ix'Chimalxochitzin":3dc4yebb]I would, only i'm half doubting i'll be able to actually play, given that my Timezone (GMT+1, central Europe) generally means i'm unable to play due to it being, y'know, 3 am here at starting time.[/quote:3dc4yebb]
There's quite a few people in (or close to) your timezone (GMT for me). ;)

Thoughy ou make a good point that for such groups timezones are important to note.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Nico
Maid
Maid

Post by Nico »

I'm fairly sure there are free DnD internet clients already available for use, as long as you're not a group that's dependent upon tiles and all that for your game.

There are a fair few here from GMT 0 to +3 I think?