The Escapist: Most Valuable Dark Elf

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

The Escapist: Most Valuable Dark Elf

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

The Escapist posted an interview article with writer R.A. Salvatore titled "[url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... f:27sr5tr8]Most Valuable Dark Elf[/url:27sr5tr8]". Yes, this is about Drizzt. It talks about his latest book ("[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neverwinter-Woo ... 1:27sr5tr8]Neverwinter[/url:27sr5tr8]"), about the popularity of the character, about how he writes, etc. Here's an excerpt:

[quote:27sr5tr8]Staying motivated writing the same character for 24 years can be tough, but Salvatore said there's a simple reason he hasn't gotten bored with Drizzt. "Because of the journey I'm on," he said. "I'm walking down the road with him. After all these years the voice has become so familiar to me. It's like I'm going on an adventure with an old friend."

Despite his closeness to the dark elf, Salvatore remains humbly accepting of the love his audience has given Drizzt over the last few decades. "It seems like there's a renewed interest in the character; it just doesn't seem to be dying at all, which is awesome," Salvatore said with a laugh. "I'm surprised that anyone reads my books. I've been surprised by that since the first one came out. It's all been a surreal trip, I look back and I started writing Drizzt when I was 28, I'm 52 now. We're talking half my life almost. This is amazing."[/quote:27sr5tr8]
I must say that I'm personally quite tired of the Drizzt character, though there's no denying that he's probably the most popular character in the Forgotten Realms. And I feel it's also true that we owe a lot to Salvatore for fleshing out drow society and getting the ball rolling regarding good drow (I'm not entirely sure of the sequence of events or the exact reasons for them, but I often get the impression that Eilistraee was in many ways a response to the rise in popularity of good-aligned drow thanks to Drizzt).

Either way I thought that the article might be interesting to share.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Re: The Escapist: Most Valuable Dark Elf

Post by Rainbow Prism »

I am not as tired of character as ridiculous imitators who simply do not understand that Drizzt was lucky and made a lot of successful saves, also having special requirements and powers. The character forgone the existence as PC and was initially made NPC, unlike more interesting Elminster.

Imagine what would happen if El died somewhere in first adventure permanently. Possibly, we would not see our favorite mage.