Songs for deities and characters

This forum is to post all the fun, weird and wonderful things you come across on your travels (on the Internet). Movies, flash, pictures, stories… if you think it's something enjoyable and want to share it with the rest of us then this is the place to post it.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Aergale
Maid
Maid

Songs for deities and characters

Post by Aergale »

Allright. What songs remind you of Forgotten Realms characters/deities/places? It doesn`t have to be just lyrics, it can be the general feeling a particular song gives you. Guess i might as well start.

Silvanus - Nightwish "Elvenpath" (Yeah, i know, i know, this is weird. But the fact that the real-world Goddess Mielikki is mentioned, doesn`t make this song fit for the FR Mielikki.)

Cyric - David Bowie "The man who sold the world". Cyric doesn`t deserve a song by the great David Bowie, but again, it fits.

Loviatar - Alice Cooper "Poison"

Vhaeraun - hmmm... Aerosmith "Living on the edge", Metallica "Sad but true". Bon Jovi`s "it`s my life" and "Ain`t it fun" by Guns N` Roses (for his followers) might work as well. However, they are far from perfect...

Eilistraee - most songs by Enya. Her voice just seems right. "Evening falls" in particular. For her followers see "So called chaos" by Alanis Morissette :-)

Sharess - Ricky Martin "Livin` la vida loca" (come on, i know it`s not good, but it fits, damn it!) , Sting "Desert Rose", and Incubus Succubus` "Heart of Lilith" for the time she was under Shar`s control

Shar - Noa - "Lady Night"

Milil - Blind Guardian "The Bard`s song"

Kelemvor and Midnight/Ariel/Mystra - Sting "A thousand years"

Bane - Black Sabbath "Black Moon"

Erevan Ilsere - Noir Desir "The Chameleon"
Dont try to catch the wind.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

As the (self-styled) “Mistress of Song” let me get a word in regarding songs that remind me of Eilistraee (without going for the easy cop-out and saying “all of them” :p ).

First of all I must agree with your assessment of Enya being particularly well-fitting for Eilistraee (and she also happens to be one of my favorite singers, what coincidence ;)), and I agree with you on the song “[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJw0O1X3cU4:11j3dds9]Evening Falls[/url:11j3dds9]”, very beautiful. I’m not quite sure though about “So Called Chaos” fitting with her followers, but you probably have a less biased view on that than I. ;)

To offer some other songs I think fit particularly well (in all of them the title links to a youtube video with the music)...

The first one is one I’ve, for a long time, considered kind of Shir’le’s theme-song. The text I use in my signature for her is the first line from that song (“I’m a candle in the wind”) and overall it seems to suit Eilistraee very well if you consider that it’s song by one of her followers with “you” referring to the goddess:

[quote:11j3dds9][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H8IJ2UQgcc:11j3dds9]Tara’s Dance[/url:11j3dds9]
(From Xena, Warrior Princess)

I'm a candle in the wind
My future flickers for my eyes
I'm too restless to be satisfied with silence
So I'll push further through the night

Say you want to put me out and then I'm wrong
No I've heard those lies before
'Cause the fire inside, it just keeps burning
Just won't stand it anymore

You came along, you pulled me up when I was down
The way you made me feel just took me by suprise
You took my hand, you stole my heart, you fed the fire
When you moved with me you gave me back my life

Let the spirit move me! - Let the spirit move me!
Let your spirit move me! - Let your spirit move me!
Let the spirit move me! - Let the spirit move me![/quote:11j3dds9]

The second one is one someone else pointed out to me (thanks Jhael :)) and when listening to the lyrics you can easily imagine it being about an Eilistraeen drow dancing for her goddess, with the music too fitting particularly well:

[quote:11j3dds9][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmeDiiQFuTg:11j3dds9]Shadow of the Moon[/url:11j3dds9]
(By Blackmore’s Night)

In the shadow of the moon,
She danced in the starlight
Whispering a haunting tune
To the night...

Velvet skirts spun 'round and 'round
Fire in her stare
In the woods without a sound
No one cared...

Through the darkened fields entranced,
Music made her poor heart dance,
Thinking of a lost romance...
Long ago...

Feeling lonely, feeling sad,
She cried in the moonlight.
Driven by a world gone mad
She took flight...

"Feel no sorrow, feel no pain,
Feel no hurt, there's nothing gained...
Only love will then remain,"
She would say.

Shadow of the Moon...
Shadow of the Moon...

Somewhere just beyond the mist
Spirits were seen flying
As the lightning led her way
Through the dark...

Shadow of the Moon..[/quote:11j3dds9]

The third one might perhaps be considered a bit odd since it doesn’t talk about the moon or anything, but I still think it fits quite well. And unlike the previous two which more paint a picture of a Priestess of Eilistraee dancing to her goddess this one is one I can imagine Eilistraee singing to her followers:

[quote:11j3dds9][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n4mGZnaWq8:11j3dds9]The Voice[/url:11j3dds9]
(Eimear Quinn/Lisa Kelly in the video)

I hear the voice on the wind
And I hear you call out my name

Listen my child you say to me
I am the voice of your history
Be not afraid - come follow me
Answer my call and I'll set you free

REFRAIN
I am the voice in the wind and the pouring rain
I am the voice of your hunger and pain
I am the voice that always is calling you
I am the voice and I will remain

I am the voice in the fields when the Summer's gone
The dance of the leaves when the Autum winds blow
Never do I sleep throughout all the cold Winter long
I am the force that in Springtime will grow

I am the voice of the past that will always be
Filled with my sorrows and blood in my fields
I am the voice of the future
Bring me your peace, bring me your peace
And my wounds they will heal

REFRAIN 2 X[/quote:11j3dds9]

I’ve long had the intention of taking these (and possibly a few other) songs and putting them up on the “Goddess of Song” page of the Temple, picking the songs apart and explaining in far more detail [i:11j3dds9]why[/i:11j3dds9] I think they’re particularly Eilistraeen. Maybe I’ll actually get around to that now, but for the moment this’ll do I think. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
DarkSongKnight
Maid
Maid

Post by DarkSongKnight »

Wow, "The Voice" is beautiful and fits Eilistraee perfectly! :D
Hmm...I imagine Eilistraee resembling Tyra Banks..lol

How about "Can't fight the Moonlight" by Leanne Rimes?