How do you imagine Eilistraee's voice?

This forum is to post all the fun, weird and wonderful things you come across on your travels (on the Internet). Movies, flash, pictures, stories… if you think it's something enjoyable and want to share it with the rest of us then this is the place to post it.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Irennan
Champion

How do you imagine Eilistraee's voice?

Post by Irennan »

Question as per title. This question occured to me because I randomly came across to a Youtuber whose voice clicked with how I imagined Eilistraee's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-BAtGBZAYQ

Describing a voice in concrete terms that can make your brain actually imagine it, is really difficult. Sweet, soothing, etc... don't cut it, because they're too vague, and they're not sensory adjectives. In the end, limpid and lulling are how I'd describe it, but the same is true for those words. They mean a different thing to me than do to others, when it comes to voice. So, if you have sound examples of how you imagine Eilistraee's voice, and are willing to share, I'd appreciate it.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Re: How do you imagine Eilistraee's voice?

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Interesting. To be honest never really considered how Eilistraee "sounds". There would definitely be a lyrical quality to her voice though, and the ASMR-type whispering would fit her well I think.

I did a (really quick) search for some voices from various voice actors. There's a bunch of audiobook voice actresses with lovely voices, though none yet I'd immediately say "yes, that's it".

Your example is certainly lovely and I can see that.

In general though, I think deity voices have a... otherworldly and ephemeral quality to them where even right after you've heard the voice you can't quite pin down or remember what the voice sounded like. Maybe even talking more in emotions than actual words even if your mortal brain translates it as words.

In practical terms maybe having a degree of echo to the voice. I think Skyrim does that with some of their deity voices, but couldn't find an example on short notice.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Re: How do you imagine Eilistraee's voice?

Post by Irennan »

I like the part about speaking in emotions, but I think that the deity would still produce sounds (and so have a voice that resembles that of whatever race/gender they indentify with), especially deities of song like Eilistraee.

Regarding the echo in the voice, however, I think that would depend on the deity, or on how deities are interpreted. For example, if you think of deities as beings that don't exist in just one moment in time, but extend backwards and forwar, and if this deity has gone through any significant changes over the course of their existence, then the echoes could represent the voices of each of the versions of themselves.
Or yet, for other deities with multiple natures/representations, like Selune (which has the tripartite moon representations), or Mystra--now a single entity in which all her previous consciousness, as well as the consciousnesses of the beings in the Weave coexist--it makes perfect sense to have voices that split into multiple echoes.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.