The Official Eilistraeen Music Thread

This forum is to post all the fun, weird and wonderful things you come across on your travels (on the Internet). Movies, flash, pictures, stories… if you think it's something enjoyable and want to share it with the rest of us then this is the place to post it.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Irennan
Champion

Re: The Official Eilistraeen Music Thread

Post by Irennan »

[bbvideo=560,315:1iz034k2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGOhveZW8us[/bbvideo:1iz034k2]

I honestly don't particularly like this song (mostly because of the melody. However, I don't mind it, and I really like the lyrics), but it definitely sums up Eilistraee's relationship with the drow IMO. She's the only one who can still see the beauty within every drow, and who does all her best to make it shine. She's the only one who goes out of her way to help them in the dark times, when no one else is there for them, and who still believes in them and their strength, when the rest of the world deems them monster to be exterminated. (and she does that materially, as she's known to help the drow in practical matters, and even manifest to them, in various forms, when they need confort).
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Love Celtic Woman. And I agree, the lyrics do seem quite fitting. Thank you. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

This song is lovely and also quite fitting for Eilistraee.

[bbvideo=560,315:3kw97d4z]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOMQxVtbkik[/bbvideo:3kw97d4z]
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Irennan":2tnbe2rp]This song is lovely and also quite fitting for Eilistraee.[/quote:2tnbe2rp]
I'm... surprised I didn't link that somewhere already. One of my favourite songs. Also love, love, love Guild Wars 2's Sylvari (who the song is for/about if I understand correctly). And the game was quite enjoyable for a couple of months too.

Thank you for sharing. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

IIRC, it plays at the end of the campaign story. In any case, it's amazing how VGs have such beautiful and powerful music. Some are really masterpieces. Here's also a piano interpretation of it that I quite liked.

[bbvideo=560,315:29o6s0m9]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OM1SN7ebek[/bbvideo:29o6s0m9]
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

[quote="Irennan":1egyj0cb]IIRC, it plays at the end of the campaign story.[/quote:1egyj0cb]
Ah, I never did finish the main campaign. I came close, got to the final land and everything, but just got tired of wading to waves and waves of monsters.

And yes, that piano piece is also very beautiful. Thank you, I hadn't heard that one yet. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Nightbreeze
Maid
Maid

Post by Nightbreeze »

Musician from France called Sakristei the first song on the album is called EIlistraee (The Dark Maiden)

[bbvideo=560,315:7selkcxx]https://youtu.be/MqXlanGqpH8?t=1s[/bbvideo:7selkcxx]
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

The fact that a musician actually dedicated a song to Eilistraee makes me smile.
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Well known path to Chang'an resembles yiqi.
Hundred years of life cannot bear the grief.

--Du Fu
Orin
Maid
Maid

Post by Orin »

Hey there,

Very new to the the community and sort of new to forums in general. I have two submissions for Eilistraeen songs that I'm kind of surprised that no one else has posted yet. Though, they might have and I might have missed them.

The first always puts me in mind of the followers of Eilistraee in ritual, or simply revelry. When I listened to it recently after reconnecting with all of this lore, it immediately reminded me of the Love Binding Ceremony (which, by the way, I love that the priestess won't even let you do it unless you are REALLY in love. Awesome). The name says it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMc8naeeSS8

The second is a more personal favorite. I sing this song a lot. Like maybe too much, but it definitely speaks to and of The Dark Dancer. I also love that it could be one person speaking to their lover with reverence to The Goddess, or the Goddess herself speaking to her flock, or...(and I like the idea of this a lot) another god or goddess trying to woo Eilistraee. Could be a lot of other things too. Once again, the name tells the secret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lFxGBB4UGU

Here's another version by a wonderful artist named Liz Longly that offers some wonderful female vocals. It's also an acoustic cover, so it sounds like she could be playing it in a grove, neath a full moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV7KbHY-cnc

Have a wonderful day.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Hi Orin,

Welcome to our little community. May you find a home of sorts here. :)

The songs you shared are all quite lovely. Lyrics-wise they certainly seem to fit with Eilistraee (since they're both about dancing in moonlight ;) ). Admittedly I'm a little less convinced about the melody (for fitting with Eilistraee's spirit that is, I'm sure that both her and her followers would love them as they tend most music). Maybe they're a tad more modern than what I'd expect, or maybe I'm just too set on a bit more... ethereal music. I'm not sure.

Of course Eilistraee is personal to everyone and what music speaks to any one of her will differ from person to person.

But again they're very lovely song. I particularly like that Liz Longly cover. Quite beautiful. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Orin
Maid
Maid

Post by Orin »

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":2mt9n819]Hi Orin,

The songs you shared are all quite lovely. Lyrics-wise they certainly seem to fit with Eilistraee (since they're both about dancing in moonlight ;) ). Admittedly I'm a little less convinced about the melody (for fitting with Eilistraee's spirit that is, I'm sure that both her and her followers would love them as they tend most music). Maybe they're a tad more modern than what I'd expect, or maybe I'm just too set on a bit more... ethereal music. I'm not sure.

Of course Eilistraee is personal to everyone and what music speaks to any one of her will differ from person to person.

But again they're very lovely song. I particularly like that Liz Longly cover. Quite beautiful. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:2mt9n819]

I think that I agree a bit, actually. Often when the music of Eilistraee or her priestesses is described, it is done so with a haunting quality, which these do not possess. Though I do think that the Van Morrison cover is rather dreamy.

My favorite cover of Moondance is actually the Michael Buble one, as it is in my opinion, the most earnest and passionate, but I did not share it for the reasons you mentioned. ;) It's very modern and seems somewhat out of place. It's also the one I like to sing the most.

I also know what you mean about ethereal music. The music of the Dark Ladies would be something that sounded not quite of this world.
Let not the biting, callous and sometimes cruel words of unenlightened and uncaring minds sway your heart from your passions. For it is your passions that are the language with which your soul speaks to the world.
Orin
Maid
Maid

Post by Orin »

[quote="Orin":2tq575l4][quote="Shir'le E. Illios":2tq575l4]Hi Orin,

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le[/quote:2tq575l4]

I think that I agree a bit, actually. Often when the music of Eilistraee or her priestesses is described, it is done so with a haunting quality, which these do not possess. Though I do think that the Van Morrison cover is rather dreamy.

My favorite cover of Moondance is actually the Michael Buble one, as it is in my opinion, the most earnest and passionate, but I did not share it for the reasons you mentioned. ;) It's very modern and seems somewhat out of place. It's also the one I like to sing the most.

I also know what you mean about ethereal music. The music of the Dark Ladies would be something that sounded not quite of this world.[/quote:2tq575l4]

Oh and forgive my rudeness. I was clicking through what I'd written yesterday and realized that I missed your welcome as I was reading this. Thank you so much for welcoming me. I believe I have indeed found a home of sorts.
Let not the biting, callous and sometimes cruel words of unenlightened and uncaring minds sway your heart from your passions. For it is your passions that are the language with which your soul speaks to the world.
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

Weaver Girl, Heartstrings (Composed by: 劉子菲、 谷子寒 , Bamboo flute by 佚名) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRGcUZJ9xlY

One of Eilistraee's manifestations in the sourcebook lore is supposed to be a snatch of wordless song. Once you hit 3:51 in the video, it made me think of that again.

Light On (Maggie Rogers) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfC8Arj_nCg

I like this song because I feel like one thing learned from Eilistraee's story arc in the game is about how tolerance/kindness, and thus trust, is built in a society. Since in a way Eilistraee as a character is not completely part of either the drow or the elf pantheons, if drow and surfacers hate each other permanently, then maybe there's no room for her. In that sense she also bet herself on what she believes. I think maybe this might be one reason why she can support fighters in the game. And although her clerics dance naked, maybe it's also about letting vulnerability be okay on some level. And also since it's not necessarily a good thing to "help" people that don't want to be helped/give people things they don't want, if Eilistraee still exists among the drow, presumably it's because the drow want her there. If somebody doesn't already want it, it doesn't work. If her song seduces drow, then logically, at least in a way, they wanted to be seduced. Seduction isn't only a matter of the seducer after all, but also of the seduced, since it's based in playing to a person's need/desires. In Chinese mythology, for instance, maybe Diaochan couldn't have turned Lu Bu and Dong Zhuo against each other quite so easily, if in a way, they didn't already each see themselves as the automatic hero/center of her story. So, there is something in the drow that, like other elves, wants beauty, kindness, and all the things they deprive themselves of because these things are considered liabilities in their current society. And as long as they want that, a deity like Eilistraee can continue to appeal to them.
Well known path to Chang'an resembles yiqi.
Hundred years of life cannot bear the grief.

--Du Fu
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Shae wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:45 am Weaver Girl, Heartstrings (Composed by: 劉子菲、 谷子寒 , Bamboo flute by 佚名) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRGcUZJ9xlY

One of Eilistraee's manifestations in the sourcebook lore is supposed to be a snatch of wordless song. Once you hit 3:51 in the video, it made me think of that again.

Light On (Maggie Rogers) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfC8Arj_nCg

I like this song because I feel like one thing learned from Eilistraee's story arc in the game is about how tolerance/kindness, and thus trust, is built in a society. Since in a way Eilistraee as a character is not completely part of either the drow or the elf pantheons, if drow and surfacers hate each other permanently, then maybe there's no room for her. In that sense she also bet herself on what she believes. I think maybe this might be one reason why she can support fighters in the game. And although her clerics dance naked, maybe it's also about letting vulnerability be okay on some level. And also since it's not necessarily a good thing to "help" people that don't want to be helped/give people things they don't want, if Eilistraee still exists among the drow, presumably it's because the drow want her there. If somebody doesn't already want it, it doesn't work. If her song seduces drow, then logically, at least in a way, they wanted to be seduced. Seduction isn't only a matter of the seducer after all, but also of the seduced, since it's based in playing to a person's need/desires. In Chinese mythology, for instance, maybe Diaochan couldn't have turned Lu Bu and Dong Zhuo against each other quite so easily, if in a way, they didn't already each see themselves as the automatic hero/center of her story. So, there is something in the drow that, like other elves, wants beauty, kindness, and all the things they deprive themselves of because these things are considered liabilities in their current society. And as long as they want that, a deity like Eilistraee can continue to appeal to them.
Love both songs, and love what you said about Eilistraee. There's one thing that someone wanting to bring a positive change must believe in, and that's the people themselves. That they, in the end, they will act and will make the right choice, because they are indeed drawn to beauty, laughter, kindness, and trust, values that work towards reaching happiness and improve everyone's life. In that sense, you're right that Eilistraee bets her own self on what she believes, and she also bets her own self on her believing in the spark that can be found in all drow, their desire for a better life. She's indeed always there for them, with her light on as a beacon, inviting them to emabark in the journey and guiding them in it, and that's because she truly believes that they want to--they want to be seduced into it--and because she can see that deep inside their sparks, too, are still on, so she keeps her own alight for them. After all, who, better than her, who chose to share their fate just to be by theis side, can know what lies in their hearts--the part of them that was silenced by hatred and abuse--and believe in them?

I also think that "Light On" well represents Eilistraee's way of reaching for the drow. She's subtle, delicate, she never forces ideas or choices on them. She helps them, but often they don't even know that it was her, just that they are not alone. She shows them a different life, but wants them free to seek their path, and offers her guidance and warmth to all who want to take back their future. Just like someone who, while accepting the choice of a loved one who wants to part ways, will always keep the light on for them.

Also, I like what you said about dancing naked. I saw it more as a symbol of spontaneity and freedom, the act of putting away the mask and all constructs that the drow are forced to wear--you know, lay down the mask, lay down everything and just feel free to be you and embrace life (after all, the Evensong--the main individual ritual for her followers--is a free form message, often involving the naked ance, in which all drow let their emotions out so that Eilistraee can listen to them). However, what you say about the vulnerability is also very compelling. In a society of perpetual conflict, where trust is taboo, vulnerability must be hidden. Being free to show one own's vulnerability means forming a bond of trust, being accepted as a whole.