Gates in the World of Greyhawk (by Roger E. Moore)

This forum is to post all the fun, weird and wonderful things you come across on your travels (on the Internet). Movies, flash, pictures, stories… if you think it's something enjoyable and want to share it with the rest of us then this is the place to post it.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Dostrealt
Maid
Maid

Gates in the World of Greyhawk (by Roger E. Moore)

Post by Dostrealt »

I just found a link to this gem - a file that TSR originally put up on its AOL area. Wizards of the Coast has been hosting this file for years, but has pulled down the page that points to it (and many other interesting files).

[b:3b8vh4hl][url=http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Greyhawk/WoG ... f:3b8vh4hl]Gates in the World of Greyhawk - Part 1 - by Roger E. Moore[/url:3b8vh4hl][/b:3b8vh4hl]

This document is one where Roger E. Moore looks at how Spelljammer developer Jeff Grubb, decided that all mentions of "alternate prime material planes" should actually be different planets in the Spelljammer universe. Roger E. Moore takes this concept and then applies it to D&D products that were published before Spelljammer.

The most interesting thing is that he looks at [i:3b8vh4hl]S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth[/i:3b8vh4hl] and [i:3b8vh4hl]Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits[/i:3b8vh4hl] and then tries to find ways to change the other planes mentioned there into places in Greyspace that fall in the gaps in [i:3b8vh4hl]SJR6 Greyspace[/i:3b8vh4hl] or places in other crystal spheres.

Essentially, what Roger E. Moore is doing is creating a system where drow are building underground inter-planetary gates that link Oerth to multiple other planets. This is a very similar sort of concept that Forgotten Realms has on its surface, but with the portals moved underground and with Oerth being the centre of the network.

If this concept was taken to its logical conclusion, it could be turned into a new campaign setting, where Lolth has been trying to link together the underdarks of multiple planets, so that she can turn Oerth's underdark into the centre of a multi-planet drow empire.