Riddles...

This forum is to post all the fun, weird and wonderful things you come across on your travels (on the Internet). Movies, flash, pictures, stories… if you think it's something enjoyable and want to share it with the rest of us then this is the place to post it.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Argoth
Demigod

Riddles...

Post by Argoth »

Ok, I wanted to share with you some riddles that I've been trying to solve for some time now, but I simply don't have the kind of mind to do it. I wanted to ask you for your ideas and help me with this.

A party of tears
And a liquid trail
I try to sleep
but to no avail.
Vasriina Frerahel
Maid
Maid

Post by Vasriina Frerahel »

[color=olive:16nsmj8p]Wouldn't it be a thunderstorm?

Wait...maybe not "A party of TEARS" Unless, they symbolize God's tears?[/color:16nsmj8p]
Kyruu Xiloscint
Maid
Maid

Post by Kyruu Xiloscint »

[color=green:pbh9jzym]Maybe a waterfall...that covers the tears and trail...but I can't quite get the sleep or no sleep part...[/color:pbh9jzym]
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

Answer = wake :D

This was a really tricky one to work out, especially if you are unfamiliar with the concept of a wake [the ceremony for a recently deceased]. I asked an old Irish friend of mine this one and he gave me the answer.

Let me explain it

A party of tears : the mourners at the wake

and a liquid trail : most wakes tend to be boozy affairs, especially Irish ones ;)

I try to sleep but to no avail : well that because there are all these noisy drunken mourners next to the deceased! :p

here is an excerpt from Wikipedia expaining what a wake actually is:

[i:3hk5qs6h][color=blue:3hk5qs6h]A wake is a ceremony associated with death. Traditionally, a wake takes place in the house of the deceased, with the body present; however, modern wakes are often performed at a funeral home after the ceremony.

The English word "wake" originated from the ancient Indo-European root "wog" or "weg," meaning "to be active." This evolved into several meanings, including "growth" ("vegetable"), "to become or stay alert," and "watching or guarding." The third also evolved into the word "watch," and it is in this sense that people have a "wake" for someone who recently died". While the modern usage of the verb "wake" is to "become or stay alert", a "wake" for the dead harks back to the antiquated "watch or guard" sense. This is contrary to the urban legend that people at a wake are waiting in case the deceased should "wake up."[/color:3hk5qs6h][/i:3hk5qs6h]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-(ceremony)

Ok, here are 3 riddles to really test you:

[color=red:3hk5qs6h]1- I am the beginning of sorrow, and the end of sickness. You cannot express happiness without me, yet I am in the midst of crosses. I am always in risk, yet never in danger. You may find me in the sun, but I am never out of darkness. What am I? [/color:3hk5qs6h]

[color=green:3hk5qs6h]2 - On the wall I may be found Or from heaven I’ll come down – To teach – To warn – Or to astound – I’ll help the lost - If I am found - What am I?[/color:3hk5qs6h]

[color=blue:3hk5qs6h]3 - I have three eyes – But my root has two – I have all the time in the world – Much more than you do – What am I?[/color:3hk5qs6h]
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Talwyn Aureliano":ppmq7d6g][color=red:ppmq7d6g]1- I am the beginning of sorrow, and the end of sickness. You cannot express happiness without me, yet I am in the midst of crosses. I am always in risk, yet never in danger. You may find me in the sun, but I am never out of darkness. What am I? [/color:ppmq7d6g][/quote:ppmq7d6g]
The letter 's'.

[quote="Talwyn Aureliano":ppmq7d6g][color=green:ppmq7d6g]2 - On the wall I may be found Or from heaven I’ll come down – To teach – To warn – Or to astound – I’ll help the lost - If I am found - What am I?[/color:ppmq7d6g][/quote:ppmq7d6g]
To keep with the Eilistraeen theme I'd say "moonlight", but I'm fairly sure that's not the answer you're looking for. :p

Seriously though, I've got no idea on 2 or 3.

Love -s-s-s-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Kyruu Xiloscint
Maid
Maid

Post by Kyruu Xiloscint »

2 - On the wall I may be found Or from heaven I’ll come down – To teach – To warn – Or to astound – I’ll help the lost - If I am found - What am I?

I say its knowledge.....