Favourite receipes

This forum is to post all the fun, weird and wonderful things you come across on your travels (on the Internet). Movies, flash, pictures, stories… if you think it's something enjoyable and want to share it with the rest of us then this is the place to post it.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Favourite receipes

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

Since I'm Master of Joy and preparing, sharing and eating good food is a joy, I thought to share some time honoured receipes that I know.

These are real winners and are so easy to make, your friends will think tha you took a master class in catering ;)

I'll start off wit one of my all time greats, a receipe my step father taught me.

Portugese Lamb.

Ingrediants:

1 leg of lamb on the bone [roughly 1kg at least]
2 large onions, sliced
5 Bay leaves
3 segments of garlic
1/3 of a cup of dry sherry
4 tablespoons of Soy Sauce
a couple of stems of Rosemerry
a good dash of white pepper
table spoon of olive oil
1/3 bottle of white wine

Method: Slice the garlic segments into slivers and with your sharp knife, stab your lamb leg to make holes in which to stud the meat with.

Then in a oven prooff and sealable cassarole dish, put in your oil, sliced onions and leg of lamb, with at least some bayleaves and rosemerry on the bottom beneath the lamb. Cover the lamb with the sherry and Soy Sauce and remaining herbs. Cover the dish and place in the oven set at 180C for at least 2 hours.

After 2 hours the lamb will be fully cooked and should be falling of the bone. Remove the meat from the bone and place back into the dish and add the 1/3 of a bottle of wine. This makes the sauce. Then put the dish back into the oven for another 1/2 an hour to reduce the sauce a bit.

I would recommend you serve this dish with white rice and crispy cooked roasted potatos plus steamed green vegetables like Zucchini and Snow peas. I'd also recommend a good red wine to go with the dish such as a good Shiraz or Cabinet Savingnon.

Bon Apetite friends :D
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

For a simple yet very tasty treat for breakfast here is one that satifies all the time.

Poached Eggs on Crumpets!

It's so simple yet so tasty.

To poach your eggs, make sure you have good fresh free range eggs. Also, add a teaspoon of white vinegar to your poaching water. Make sure the water is just below the boiling point, ie; you can see the bubbles forming in the water but it's not actually boiling. Crack in your eggs carefully one at a time and cook for roughly 2 to 3 minutes. Try not to over cook the eggs as you want a nice runny yoke.

Meanwhile toast up your crumpets and have them ready to receive the poached eggs.

The toasted crumpets will soak up the soft poached eggs and this is just pure bliss. If you want to really push the boat out on this one, steam up some asparagus or spinnach and add that to the dish, or add smoked salmon or shaved ham plus Hollandaise sauce.

It's a real winner! I guarentee it!
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Ok, something for Lunch now.

Toasted Brie, Chicken and Rocket Sandwich.

Any sort of bread will do, Foccacia, Bagette, plain old sandwich bread, it doesn't matter.

Get some cooked chicken, shred it up a bit. Get some rocket leaves, washed and cut up into managabe sizes. A few slices of Brie or Camonbert or any other sort of soft but flavoursome cheese. If you like a bit of sweetness, add in some red current jelly or and sort o fruit jam plus a good pinch of white pepper.

Place all that into your sandwich and grill either in a frying pan or a sandwich griller.

Enjoy

Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Someone should do something about this powerleveling of his...

But the recipes look interesting.
Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

Someone should do something about this powerleveling of his...

But the recipes look interesting.
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Cast out the mote in thine own eye double poster! :p

Power leveling indeed...pfft!

Don't you know humans only have a short lifespan in which to achieve great things?

Sure I know you drow can be amused by watching paint dry but for me, it's all about taking action, being in the here and now, carpe diem and all that ;)

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

And now this:

Pork Chops in Tomato Sauce

Ingridients:

at least 4 large pork forequater chops
2 onions sliced and diced
2 carrots chopped into small segments
4 segments of garlic crushed
a handful of juniper berries
5 bayleaves
a good dash of parsely [fresh is best but dried will do as well]
teaspoon of oregano
teaspoon of majoram
a pinch of cinnamon
a pinch of grated nutmeg
1 tin of peeled tomatoes
3 table spoons of tomato paste
1 table spoon of sugar
pinch of salt and white pepper
a glass of good red wine
a good dollop of olive oil

Method:

Saute your garlic, onions and carrots with the salt & pepper in a good saucepan [preferably non stick] till they go soft. Add the tomatos& tomaoto paste, bayleaves, pork chops and parsely and the other herbs and spices plus the wine. Add more wine to make sure the chops are covered in the sauce then cook on a low heat for at least an hour or until the chops are starting to fall off the bone. Make sure to stir occassionally or your sauce may burn and stick to the bottom of your pan.

Serve with white rice or crusty bread,

Argoth
Demigod

Post by Argoth »

DON'T mess with the paint thing. It IS amusing to see how irregular the patterns are when some places dry faster then others... :evil:
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Indian spiced fish with spiced ginger yoghurt[/size:2auud0to]

This delicious fish dish can be cooked on the barbeque or in a frying pan.

[b:2auud0to]Ingredients[/b:2auud0to]

[u:2auud0to]Indian spiced fish[/u:2auud0to]

1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp garam masala
Juice and rind of 1/2 lime
1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 of any firm-fleshed fish fillets eg snapper, bream or blue-eye
[roughly 150g each]

[u:2auud0to]Spiced ginger yoghurt[/u:2auud0to]

1/2 cup plain, natural yoghurt
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
1 small red chilli (optional), finely diced
Juice of 1/2 lemon

[b:2auud0to]Method[/b:2auud0to]

[b:2auud0to]Prepare the fish: [/b:2auud0to]Mix together the cumin, garam masala, lime juice and rind, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Rub this mixture onto the fish, making sure each side is covered. Cook fish on the barbecue or in a frying pan on the stovetop.

Make the spiced ginger yoghurt: Mix together all the spiced ginger yoghurt ingredients and place in the fridge until needed.

[b:2auud0to]Cook the fish:[/b:2auud0to] Heat a barbecue plate or frying pan. Place the fish on top and cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn the fillets and brush with leftover marinade, or olive oil. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes. The fish should be golden-coloured, but be careful not to over-cook.

Serve immediately with the spiced ginger yoghurt, brown basmati rice and a crisp green salad.

Bon apetite :angel:

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Thai chicken meatballs

600g of chicken thighs

1 to 2 chillies [depends how spicey you like it :p ]

2 tablespoons of fish sauce

150 ml of coconut cream

1 stem of lemon grass very finely chopped

Large piece of fresh ginger [about 2cm x 2cm]

3 pieces of garlic

2 tablespoons of brown sugar

4/6 stems of coriander

2 kaffir lime leaves finely chopped

About ½ a cup of bread crumbs

1 heaped tablespoon of Thai Red green curry paste

Method –

Mince up all the ingredients except the chicken & bread crumbs in a food processor then remove to a bowl

Mince up chicken thighs in same processor – Mix chicken mince and spice mix adding the bread crumbs to help mixture bind

Put the mixture in the fridge for about ½ an hour to cool down and it also becomes easier to roll into meatballs once it’s chilled down.

Roll into balls roughly golfball size then shallow fry in peanut or grapseed oil till browned. Place in oven [150c] for about 20 minutes till cooked through.

Serve with sweet chilli sauce and a nice cold beer 8)

Enjoy :D

T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

I thought I'd revive this old thread ^.^

here is a recipe I just found on an aussie webpage and am now going to cook tomorrow :P [its amazing what you find browsing ;) ]

Perfect Omelette with Baked Mushrooms[/size:slhi9r4x]

[b:slhi9r4x]Ingredients[/b:slhi9r4x]

3 large free range Eggs
1 tbsp Cream
1 know of Butter
2 tbsp Mascarpone
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 small open Swiss brown mushrooms
50g Butter
4 sprigs Thyme
Piece of heavy Grainy bread, toasted

[b:slhi9r4x]
Method
[/b:slhi9r4x]
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Lie the mushrooms on a tray, open side up, and dob butter on top. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and add sprigs of thyme on top. Cook for 10 minutes. Spread the 50g of butter over the 4 mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes.

Crack the eggs into a bowl and stir very lightly so that the yolk and the white are still showing separately. Swirl in the cream, a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Heat the pan before adding the knob of butter and once it has melted to a sizzle (100°C) turn the heat up a little and pour in the eggs. Tip the pan to distribute the egg mixture. Drag a fork through from the sides to the middle to pull the eggs away from the sides of the pan and cook until the majority of the white is set, but the mix still looks runny. Turn the temperature off.

Add the mascarpone across the centre. Tilt the pan and gently fold the omelette in half over the mascarpone, the egg will continue to cook. Loosen the base of the omelette and slide onto a warmed plate to serve. Serve with the baked mushrooms on grainy toast, garnished with parsley.
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

[takes the tea towel off this thread and gets on his chefs hat ;) ]

Ok folks, time for some more tasty treats.

First off a Cocktail to go down as a welcome appretif for you and your guests after a hard day slaying things :p

[center:183yd9q1][color=darkred:183yd9q1]Kiss of the Concubine[/color:183yd9q1][/size:183yd9q1][/center:183yd9q1]

Ingredients
serves 1

skin of 2 wedges of lime
10 crushed mint leaves
15ml Amaretto (for that bitter sweet almond taste)
15ml of lychee liqueur (the perfect compliment for almonds)
60mls of lychee juice
60mls of soda water

Method

When you'r experimenting, think outside the square. Here I’ve used the flavour profile of a humble dim sum *Almond Agar Jelly and Lychee *dessert and translated it into a cocktail.The delicate combination of perfumed lychee and a hint of mint compliments the almond flavour of amaretto liqueur perfectly. I’ve called it Kiss of the Concubine.

In a cocktail shaker of ice add the juice and skin of 2 wedges of lime, 10 crushed mint leaves, 15ml of lychee liqueur (the perfect compliment for almonds), 60mls of lychee juice and add 60mls of soda water for a little bit of efferscence.
Shake, pour and garnish with a fresh lychee – and I can’t help myself. I just have to make it into a flower.

Garnish: lychee frangipani

Slice a lychee from the top to about 2/3 of the way down 6 times equally all the way round. Gently fold down to expose golden interior of fruit. Run a toothpick from one side to the other to connect 2 opposite segments taking care to skim just under the interior surface. If you go too close to the flesh on the outer part of the fruit the flower will fall apart

Now onto something more substantial.

[center:183yd9q1][color=darkred:183yd9q1]Aged Beef with Anchovy Butter[/size:183yd9q1] [/color:183yd9q1][/center:183yd9q1]

Ingredients
4 x 250g (9 oz) aged beef ribs dry aged for at least 3 weeks
(220-250g beef per person)
Sea salt
Extra virgin olive oil
4 slices or spoonfuls of anchovy butter (recipe follows)
Freshly ground pepper
Anchovy Butter
8 large anchovy fillets
Sea salt
1 lemon, juiced
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
Freshly ground pepper

[b:183yd9q1]Method[/b:183yd9q1]

Remove the ribs from the refrigerator two hours before cooking, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with sea salt.

Preheat the barbecue to hot. This could take up to one hour if using natural fuel or 15 minutes for a gas barbecue. Make sure the grill bars are clean.

Put the ribs on the grill at a 45° angle to the grill bars. When halfway through cooking that side, turn the ribs 45° in the opposite direction.

When done turn them over and cook the other side.

Put the ribs on a plate, cover with foil and keep near the barbecue so they keep warm. Rest for ten minutes.

You may want to add one minute on the time I suggested for rare and then rest well: that should give you a perfect medium-rare rib steak.

Place onto white plates. Pour the juices that collected on the resting plate over the ribs and add a slice or spoonful of the anchovy butter. Add a grind of fresh pepper and serve immediately.
Anchovy Butter

Place the anchovies and a little salt in a mortar and pound with a pestle until they start to break up.

Add the lemon juice and butter then plenty of ground pepper. Mix completely.

Recipe found [url=http://www.abc.net.au/tv/pohskitchen/st ... m:183yd9q1]HERE [/size:183yd9q1][/url:183yd9q1]

T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

Mmm that cocktail sounds nice :)

now for my favourite:

450 g Chicken (cooked and chopped)
1 Onion, finely sliced
1 Carrot, cut in julienne strips
1 Radish, finely sliced
1 stick Celery, finely sliced
1/2 Green or red bell pepper, seeded and finely sliced
125 g Lettuce leaves, torn
1/4 Long cucumber, sliced diagonally

Dressing

5 tablespoon Lemon juice
100 ml Water
3 tablespoon Sugar

Garnish

1 tablespoon Mint leaves (chopped)
1 Red chili pepper (seeded and sliced)

Method :
Mix the dressing ingredients.

Combine salad vegetables in a bowl, excepting the lettuce and cucumber, pour the dressing over them, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Transfer to salad bowl.

Add chicken, lettuce and cucumber.

Toss together and sprinkle with mint and chili pepper rings
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
T'riss'ae_d'wylthen
Maid
Maid

Post by T'riss'ae_d'wylthen »

Meh I'll add my family's favorite recipe as well..... (The measurements are in US measuring so you'll have to convert them yourself lol. I'm horrible at it.)

Smothered Enchiladas [/size:3le2j5ms]

2 pounds ground beef
1 (1 1/4 oz) package mild taco seasoning mix
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chilies, divided
2 (10 3/4 oz) cans cream of chicken soup
1 (16 oz) container sour cream
8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
2 cups (8 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese

Garnishes: salsa, sour cream, green onion curls, chopped fresh cilantro

Cook ground beef in a large skillet, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Sir taco seasoning mix and half of chopped green chilies; set aside.

Stir together remaining green chilies, soup, and sour cream. Pour half of sour cream into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Spoon beef mixture evenly down center of each tortilla; roll up. Place tortillas, seam sides, down, over sour cram mixture in baking dish; top with remaining sour cream mixture and cheese.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired.

Yield: 8 servings.

NOTE: I use light sour cream instead of regular to give this recipe a lighter flavor. It also reduces the amount of fat in it. Also, the recommended sides with this dish are tortilla chips and queso, Mexican rice, lettuce, salsa, and guacamole. If you'd like the recipes for the salsa and guacamole, please feel free to reply or tell me in an PM.

((Now for desert..... :P))

Old Fashioned Carrot Cake [/size:3le2j5ms]

[i:3le2j5ms]"A pleasingly moist cake, this treat is the one I requested that my mom make each year for my birthday. It's dotted with sweet carrots and a hint of cinnamon. The fluffy, buttery cream cheese frosting is scrumptious with chopped walnuts stirred in. One piece of this cake is never enough!" -Taste of Home: Mom's Best Meals
[/i:3le2j5ms]
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups grated carrots

FROSTING:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and oil; mix well. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg; beat into egg mixture. Stir in carrots.

Pour into two greased and floured 9-inch round baking pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. (Note: I use a bunt pan, because of the baking powder and soda, the batter boils over and makes a huge mess. Instead of a toothpick, I use a butter knife because i find it works better.)

For frosting, in a mixing bowl, cream butter and cream cheese. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Stir in walnuts. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with carrot curls and walnuts if desired. Refrigerate any leftovers. (Note: Since the cake is eaten so quickly, storing it in a cake cover container usually works just fine.)

Yield: 12 servings
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

[drool] :))

I love good mexican food :angel:

That Carrot cake sounds fabulous 8)

Ok, here's one I picked up while I was in the UK last year. It's an old recipe, going back to Victorian times but it's simply delicious.

Coronation Chicken.

Ingridients:

1 whole roasted chicken, cold and shredded of the bone

2 to 3 tea spoons of Keens Curry Powder [or any good curry/masala powder or paste - make it fresh if you want?]

4 to 5 heaped tablespoons of Mango Chilli Chutney [or any good spicey fruit chutney wll do but I think mango is best]

4 to 5 heap tablespoons of good egg mayonaise [add more if you want]

2 to 3 tea spoons of Lime or Lemon juice to balance to Mayo

1/2 an iceberg lettuce - shredded

Salt & White Pepper for extra seasoning if required

Method:

Mix all of the above in a large bowl until the chicken is thoroughly coated in the marinade. There, it's done.

There are many variations of this but I learnt this one from a Jamacian lady in the Northumbrian town of Hexum. It was the first time I've ever tried it and I was delighted by it.

It makes for great salad to bring along to BBQ's and lasts well for a few days too but if you intend keeping it for a fdew days, leave the lettuce out and only add it when you need to serve it otherwise the lettuce goes all soggy :-[

Great on crusty bread, sandwiches or even just on it's own.

Goes well with ice cold beer 8)