PHP Upgrade Incoming

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

PHP Upgrade Incoming

Postby Shir'le E. Illios » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:24 am

Hi all,

This is just a heads-up. My web host has let me know that on the 15th August 2018 they will upgrade me to PHP version 7.1.

You might not notice any of this if things go well. But obviously as with any change things could break. Particularly if the code (particularly of the forums) uses any functions that have been deprecated in 7.1 then things might break.

Since I have no idea at this time what, if anything, that might be, what the effect of that might be or how long it would take to fix it I wanted to give this heads-up so that when things break down on the 15th you know why.

Worst case I might have to upgrade the forum software from version 3.1.2 that we're on know (which the admin panel tells me is the most up-to-date version) to 3.2.2 (which is the actual most up-to-date version) and who knows what knock-on effects that has. At the very least the (few) extensions I've installed will cause problems.

Just wanted to make you aware so that you know what's going on. Fingers crossed that the impact will be minimal.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee

Irennan
Resident

Re: PHP Upgrade Incoming

Postby Irennan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:49 pm

Thanks for the warning, and thanks even more for your effort in maintaining this site, Shir'le. It means a lot to me (and, I'm sure, to all the few of us).

Shae
Traveler

Postby Shae » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:14 am

Yikes. Thanks for the heads-up, and big props for the support too. I'm sure it can be hard sometimes for the traffic, but ditto for what Irennan said; we appreciate the effort. :)
Well known path to Chang'an resembles yiqi.
Hundred years of life cannot bear the grief.

--Du Fu

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Postby Bhaern Quel » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 am

Has upgrade been done or target missed?

I have not noticed any changes and now the 16th for at least me.

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Postby Shir'le E. Illios » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:49 am

I have not heard anything further from my webhost. It still seems to be running 5.5.17. So I'm guessing that they haven't done anything yet.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee

Orin
Traveler

Postby Orin » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 pm

Hey, sorry just seeing this. Yes, thank you for the heads up and thanks so much for keeping up with the site and keeping IT up. It's appreciated.
Let not the biting, callous and sometimes cruel words of unenlightened and uncaring minds sway your heart from your passions. For it is your passions that are the language with which your soul speaks to the world.

Return to “Chosen News”