I heard this was a safe place for Drow? OOC

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Cassia Devros
Traveler

Re: I heard this was a safe place for Drow?

Postby Cassia Devros » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:01 am

Waiting sounds good.

Irennan
Resident

Postby Irennan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:02 am

[Oh, they guessed the spell because they are very familiar with the Lolthite costume of searching for poison in food]

Cassia Devros
Traveler

Postby Cassia Devros » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:30 am

[Also If any of the people are learned enough to recognize the language of Aklo, they will know that she was speaking in Abolith for the Incantation. Also, it's all good, Cassia was fairly obvious about it.]

Irennan
Resident

Postby Irennan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:29 pm

@Cassia, I was wondering what language that was. It sounded like an eldritch/aberration-language, but I didn't recognize it. It should've been fairly obvious to me, tho, given that you mentioned the aboleth a couple times before. Nice touch, I really like it. In-game, I guess Phaere might have stumbled into it while perusing some tomes, being her a bard, but she would probably dismiss it like another arcane language (like, say, Abyssal).

@Bhaern I agree about the number (especially because Phaere herself is a traveler and a wandering performer), that's why I had most of the people of the temple out for the Run. To be honest, I didn't feel like creating and focusing on more than a couple characters. There should be 2 more, currently on a morning patrol in the nearby area.

I was thinking of having both of them MIA at a certain point, maybe ambushed by someone who was on Cassia's trail, but I'm not really sure if such someone exists, and I wouldn't want to be the one dictating what happens.

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Postby Bhaern Quel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:57 pm

The number of people would need to be at least twenty-five for the smallest temple. With what you offered (the picture) the numbers would need to be over one hundred. Do not worry about naming them. They will be in background. There are the guards, others that hunt, the builders, at least a few wizards. Many, some in the trades, weaver, sewer and so on.

Irennan
Resident

Postby Irennan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:04 pm

I was thinking about 30-ish. Hundreds would be the size of the Promenade, and the Promenade is the largest temple (or was, in canon. Don't know the current size now that it has recently been retaken. Maybe we'll soon know when WotC will release their upcoming Undermountain book). About the picture, that was only to give some visual reference for the style of the place. When I said that I thought about Lothlorien, I didn't mean also as large as that forest, heh.

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Postby Bhaern Quel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:32 pm

You might want to rethink your numbers
In 1361 DR, before the assault on the Dragons Hoard, they numbered 24 drow (9 females), 9 dwarves, 27 humans(12 females), and 4 halflings.
That was 65 then. Also I am not convinced it was the largest temple, just an important one. The one wikiapedia offers this
Population 392 in 1375 DR
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/P ... ark_Maiden with a much higher number of all races and more of them.

If you are talking about a city built, more people are required to maintain a surface city is not a cave.

All these last ooc posts will be moved over to the OOC thread that I will make. We can discuss details a little more about the NPCs and numbers of them in that thread.

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

I heard this was a safe place for Drow? OOC

Postby Bhaern Quel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:41 pm

Starting this thread because there have been many OOC only posts in the Roleplay thread.
Those posts will be moved over here.

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: I heard this was a safe place for Drow? OOC

Postby Bhaern Quel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:45 pm

Copied from the RP thread, not a moved post.

[@Bhaern, I'm taking many liberties with the temple. I assume that Cassia's character came to the Chosen of Eilistraee's home (this site is named after it), but I'm not sure how it is structured. Also, the high priestess of the temple should be Shir'le, but I'd feel very awkward RPing her character, so I added this Nimue character, who's supposed to be the high priestess of this version of the temple. Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes.]

Irennan
Resident

Postby Irennan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Bhaern Quel wrote:You might want to rethink your numbers
In 1361 DR, before the assault on the Dragons Hoard, they numbered 24 drow (9 females), 9 dwarves, 27 humans(12 females), and 4 halflings.
That was 65 then. Also I am not convinced it was the largest temple, just an important one. The one wikiapedia offers this
Population 392 in 1375 DR
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/P ... ark_Maiden with a much higher number of all races and more of them.

If you are talking about a city built, more people are required to maintain a surface city is not a cave.

All these last ooc posts will be moved over to the OOC thread that I will make. We can discuss details a little more about the NPCs and numbers of them in that thread.

Yeah, the near 400 drow is the population I was talking about. Not to mention, even before that, all the drow that were led there through portals and by the various priestesses in mission, which surely brought the population far above 65, even if temporarily. The other large community is Velarswood, but that and the Promenade are definitely the largest out there. Currently, we have to see the population of the new temple within Waterdeep to decide.

In any case, I'd like a smaller community because we'd need to take in account the various activities of a large one, and Cassia might want to interact with them, they might want to interact with Cassia, and so on. It's quite a bit of work to do. I'd be up for it, if this was my main campaign, but I'm working on another longstanding game, so I'm afraid I really can't.

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Postby Bhaern Quel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:18 pm

I knew the 65 number, only found the 392 number today as part of discussion.
I am still looking at near 100, 50 might do it considering your city turned into a town or hamlet. Even with that number not all need to be named. A seamstress repairing a garment does not need a name. All of the guards do not need a name, only a few might. There still needs to be more then a smith as far as crafts go. A miner perhaps for metal, an instrument maker for sure. Wood worker and likely a hunt master, quartermaster to organize the details of running a small community.
I can come up with names as needed. You can come up with names as needed even Cassia can come up with names.

In freeflow all of us are in part DM and part player.

Just we should have an agreement of general size. One that makes sense to protect and maintain a temple.

Irennan
Resident

Postby Irennan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:50 pm

50-ish is fine to me, then (for a crafter of musical instruments, all priestesses are generally trained in that. Phaere is really good at it, but Nimue and Viserys can too). Although it stands that about half of them or so should be on a Run at this time.

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Postby Bhaern Quel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:53 pm

Agreed, so for now about 25 about or in the temple. The numbers of course change my returns, new recuits or alas death.
Not all return from a Run. Also a Hunt could result in loses , not counting any attacks.

We will hope for the best.

Cassia Devros
Traveler

Postby Cassia Devros » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:27 am

Im going to wait till Irennen responds

Irennan
Resident

Postby Irennan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:30 pm

[Btw, it's probably obvious, but when I type slimly (the last Phaere's dialogue in the post), I mean slimy. Putting it here 'cause I can't edit for some reason]

It should be fixed now. Edit feature does has some coding limitations. Also this will be moved soon.

Return to “Out Of Character”