I heard this was a safe place for Drow?

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Cassia Devros
Traveler

I heard this was a safe place for Drow?

Postby Cassia Devros » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:43 am

A dark elf women of furtive posture enters the the gathering, her eyes are those of deep hurt and wiriness, as if she has come a long way.
I was Told this place Is a safe place for the Drow up above. Is that still true?

I am a Gm that has just started a under dark game in D&D 5E. It is my debut for the Drow, and I am hoping to learn more about the Dark Maiden through roll play of on of the NPCs the party has taken a liking too.

Irennan
Resident

Re: I heard this was a safe place for Drow?

Postby Irennan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:52 pm

Cassia Devros wrote:A dark elf women of furtive posture enters the the gathering, her eyes are those of deep hurt and wiriness, as if she has come a long way.
I was Told this place Is a safe place for the Drow up above. Is that still true?

I am a Gm that has just started a under dark game in D&D 5E. It is my debut for the Drow, and I am hoping to learn more about the Dark Maiden through roll play of on of the NPCs the party has taken a liking too.

A young dark elf woman sits in an alcove in the temple-garden. She is intently playing a black violin, repeatedly producing snippets of the same melody with subtle differences at each iteration, like a musician would when refining their newly composed song. As the traveler enters the temple, she appears too immersed in her art to notice, taking the time to finish playing her current piece--quite tormented, but ending on a hopeful, uplifting note--before addressing and going to meet the other drow. Her frame is lithe and nimble, moving with the elegance of a black cat on the hunt, and her face has a delicate and sweet appearance; a soft and lively grace that betrays a spark of impishness and mischief. However, the young drow wears but a heartfelt smile for the weary woman, and her large, deep blue eyes are full of warmth and compassion [OOC: picture her like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XCrVbZ ... sp=sharing]

Without a word, she sings a beautiful and moving song, summoning a flutter of moonlight butterflies that--dancing to her notes--gently caress the drow woman, healing any wounds and soothing pain and weariness. The girl's own frame is now glowing with soft moonlight and enchanted beauty, a form of magic that seems to make all sentiments of rage, hatred, and hostility disappear altogether.
[OOC: She casts a Cure Wounds spell on the other drow, and Sanctuary on herself]

"Much better, isn't it? Now we can talk" She says with a satisfied tone "A safe place, you ask?" she gestures at her own body and the magic surrounding it, then she gives the woman an eloquent look, as if her spell was an explanation by itself "I'm sure you understand my precaution. Like any place in the world, this temple is only as safe as our skills--and Eilistraee's blessing--can make it. Which is quite a lot" she says without modesty "but not exactly what we'd like it to be. Yet. However..." she sang with a slightly teasing tone, her lips curving into an impish smile for an instant "what we lack in safety, we make up with beauty, warmth, good food, and good fun. Would that be of your interest, lady guest? Oh, by the way, name's Phaere"

Cassia Devros
Traveler

Postby Cassia Devros » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:52 pm

The women shrinks away at the touch, only after a few heart beats of paranoid stares and the obvious non malicious nature of the spell does she let the touch undo the rending of her journey.

M-ny name is Cassia, Just Cassia for now.
She looked at Phaere with confusion and suspicion, and the puzzled look at the violin was only more so.

I don't need y-your fun but,
Weariness crawls back across her face from the depths the magic cast it, not as strong as before, but sill present.
Food, yes food, any food and someplace that isn't wet and cold. . . A voice at night . . . showed me the way here. I don't know what trick the demon webs weave for me but I have little choice. I have coin to pay you, enough for a few nights at least.

Although Cassias tone Is guarded, her posture remains submissive and not confrontational, her reaction to phaere's body language is quick and twitching. As if the reaction had been fostered over a great length of time. But her eyes are still suspicious of all the Phaere offers, wether it be in good spirits or in aid.

Irennan
Resident

Postby Irennan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:55 pm

Upon seeing Cassia's reaction to her words and magic, Phaere's demeanor quickly changed. Her smile became faint and saddened, while her eyes filled up with sudden melancholy. To those able to read body language, it was clear that the girl wished to hold Cassia in a reassuring embrace, but that she was refraining from it.

Phaere spoke softly, her tone warmed by sincere empathy
Forget coin, Cassia. You can stay here, with us, until you choose to leave. I'll prepare a warm bath, a comfy place, and some food. Your healing is all that matters for now--and the least I can do after you faced Eilistraee-knows-what just to find a way here... and before that too

The last words were pronounced in a whisper, a loud thought rather than something the girl intended to say. She meant to carefully avoid any question or consideration about what the other woman had faced.

Anything particular you'd like to eat? We use magic to preserve food during the year just for this kind of occasions. Having a guest is a reason to celebrate here, you know, and my cooking skills are pretty good--you kinda have to, when you're a traveler. If the ingredients we have allow for it, I'd be happy to prepare something that you fancy

Her voice picked up some of its innate vivacity, and her expression lightened up at the thought. She seemed earnest in caring for Cassia and wanting her to feel welcomed.

Cassia Devros
Traveler

Postby Cassia Devros » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:45 am

What trickery do you weave, what prize are you attempting to exact? Be you wicked Fey, Leanan sidhe, or Lolth herself to break me once more?

Hurt and fear welled up in her eyes, as her disbelief rose to meet the Phaere's kindness. What she offered was only a ruse, a trick to gain advantage or lower her defenses.The smiling women seemed strong enough, why would she not simply attack? Cassias body was still twisting from the affliction, and her body lacked the strength to do much more than stand, the healing had stoped the bleeding but only just. She could leave, perhaps steal enough food to survive on the way out, she would overcome the trial Lolth had placed upon her, she would-

Stay back you-
Rench!

As Cassia pushed her away, the skin on her forearm ripped and her arm extended another few feet as noted muscle extended the arm through some sort of aberrant mutation. Her body not ready for the exertion spilled forth her life blood, and cassia teetered in horror and fell towards Phaere.

No! I can't-it won't end here, I will not fall for your Eilistaees Lie! I don't know what trick this is but it will not have me!

But her strength began to flow from her, and with it her hope of escaping whatever plot she had walked into, her pride was all she had left, but what use would it be if she died some miles into the forest. But it wouldn't matter now, she walked right into a trap, it must be. She fell to her knees as the pain robbed her of he last thoughts, tears marring her face as the frustration of failing after coming so far overcame her.

Cassia Devros
Traveler

Postby Cassia Devros » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:54 am

Also thank you very much for the dialogue, this is very helpful for writing the character.

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Postby Bhaern Quel » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:30 am

The rise of voice calls the attention of others of the temple.

There is no trick here. You can pay with your coin.

A male Drow steps out of the shadow of the temple. You see as weapons hand crossbow and daggers .
We do not require you pay however coin can help buy for others. You will not be kept here if you desire to leave.

My name is Sevren.

Irennan
Resident

Postby Irennan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:35 am

Phaere's eyes widened for a moment when Cassia's wounds reopened: she was prepared to rejection, but not to that. Slowly, the girl frog-sit on the ground, like a child would, next to the woman, at arm distance from her (confiding in her protective spell). Her innocent-looking face at the same height as the other drow's, Phaere wanted to talk to her as an equal. Calmly, she moved her hands in clear sight--to reassure Cassia--and used the gesture to summon a barely perceptible force to caress the woman's cheeks and wipe her tears. At this point, Phaere just wanted to hug the other drow, but the latter had clearly experienced a trauma and perhaps was not ready for physical contact.

She resolved to interpret a strange musical poem instead, sung like a tender lullaby

If there’s one thing that I dread,
it’s a trip out of my shed.
For I know, without a doubt,
that the spider lurks about.
He smells my blood and fear,
and it draws him ever near,
as I run in a frenzy,
fearing every step.

My imagination flares,
lest his webs catch me unaware,
for that spider is a threat I can’t ignore!
But then a silver dawn shines,
as the stars and the moon smile.
The silky webs now gleam all around,
and at last I can see,
the path that will set me free.

An enchanting goddess sings,
the silence her voice breaks:
My child, don't fear the spider of the night,
for he has no power in the moonlight.
He will return to hunt and bite,
but I'll warm and protect with my light,
until you'll learn how to fight,
until you'll no longer want to flee,
and can travel around the world with joy and glee

As Phaere sang, the bleeding stopped. The girl made sure to cast a spell that would heal without being felt at all [OOC: Healing Word. Yes, she took much more time than it is needed to cast it, but she's eccentric like that]

Whoever is trying to break you won't find you here. And if they do, they'll need to get past *me*--I may not look like it, but my music is not just for creating and healing. Now, will you let me properly wipe your tears, check that wound, and prepare some food to fill that empty stomach of yours? If you want to go after that, I won't stop you. I will give you some food and cures for your journey. I will also answer to your question, about what I have to gain, if you wish.

Phaere said reassuringly, then she sighed heavily.

[OOC: if I'm going too fast, as in you'd like to react to some of Phaere's actions before she says something else, then tell me. This is the first time I RP online, in person it's very different, as you can see other people's answers immediately. Here, I have to get the right rhythm]

Cassia Devros
Traveler

Postby Cassia Devros » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:03 am

As the Male Savren spoke, Cassia found his actions more in line for her expectations, but his words still made little sense to her. What did they want? surly it could not be what they say, perhaps they were deranged, but no insanity could have produced such competence, and the architecture around her also made her doubt that idea. But she was tired, and did not wish to fight anymore. She took her good hand off of Phaere,and tossed a hand full of coin across the floor to the Male Savren.

Take it, I am no victim, if you can hel-

A sweet lullaby crested her ears as the ever more perplexing Phaere began to sing a sweet melodic lullaby, it was of some soft tone and lilt that she had never heard before, and it flowed from her lips with the ease of practice. She felt more then saw the rip on her skin heal as her magic flowed from her, and the world became bearable again. But she was so tired, her body throbbed and begged for rest, she attempted to regain her composure, but a soft touch tended to the tear on her cheek, it was patient and . . . lacked the frigid nature of the typical physical contact she had been expecting, and it threatened to send her to the floor.

with a soft wisper
it couldn't hurt any more.

She reached out her hand to Phaere, relaxing her body language and giving her the permission for the aid the women claimed she so desperately wanted to give.
Please help me, I can't go on any more, take the coin, take anything else I don't care, just please help me. I can't go any further.

She felt she had lost something by speaking those words, some sort of admission that showed a weakness she had always hidden. But it couldn't hurt any more.

Irennan
Resident

Postby Irennan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:57 am

Phaere looked at Sevran gratefully. His intervention seemed to have eased the situation. Perhaps, she realized, her own behavior was a bit creepy for a drow that was obviously used to the exact opposite. However, her heart leaped when she as Cassia calmed down. The girl gave the other drow the biggest, most spontaneous and heartfelt hugs that she could muster. She didn't know what had caused the woman to come to that point, but she knew that it was a deep wound that magic could never heal, and she hoped that her contact could at least soothe the deeper pain. Nonetheless, Cassia's body had to be treated as well.

I will use some of the most powerful magic that my art can summon, and I'm happy that it will be used on you, Cassia. It's precious magic that Eilistraee gifts us, but what good is it, if I don't use it to defeat suffering.

Phaere let Cassia rest on her lap for a moment. She cupped her hands together and brought them between her breasts, where her heart was. A silvery glow appeared within her chest, visible under the dark skin, and she let a misty strand of it out to fill her hands with liquid luminescence. It was a dancing mote of moonlight, almost resembling a glowing ballerina, a spark of life force that she would soon gift to Cassia. The girl embraced the other drow once again, pressing the light on her back until it entered in, and expanded within, her body.

My magic always requires a form of art to manifest, for it stems from beauty and creativity, but art can take many forms. A dance between souls, transcending all barriers, is more than worthy.

The drow girl spoke with a mystical tone (perhaps meaning it, perhaps putting up a fancy act, it was impossible to say with her), and her magic shone. It emitted a delightful warmth that expanded from within both her and Cassia's chest, purifying corrupting magic placed on the woman. Once she was done, Phaere tried to help Cassia get up, offering her own shoulder and all her (not very impressive) physical strength as support [OOC=She cast Greater Restoration, aimed to remove curses, and Cure Wounds as 5th level--Phaere's assuming that the deformed arm is some kind of curse. This expends both her 5th level slots. I'm assuming around lv 10, if we're to keep track of such things as reference]

Sevran, can I get some help carrying her, pretty please?

She said, quite strained by the spellcasting and the act of trying to get the other drow up

I don't know what's up with your arm, but my spell removed any kind of curse that was placed upon you. If it wasn't caused by a curse, then we'll try other kinds of healing magic once you finish resting. Eilistraee lends us her strength in abundance, when it comes to this. Oh, and you still haven't told me if there's anything particular that you'd like to eat.

Once again, the idea of providing some joy, in the form of food, made her young face glow

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Postby Bhaern Quel » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:08 am

Collects the scatter coins and places in a pouch, was ready to reply.
Strangers are just future friends.

As Phaere speaks, bows head and steps to forward to assist you in carrying Cassia.
As you wish of course. She needs rest and food. Perhaps she might desire even a guard until she feels safe..

Lady , if you desire I shall provide you protection from any danger that might come here.

The fact that he has accepted the money certainly might make Cassia more at ease at the offer. When newcomers arrive they have many fears and doubts. Time will tell of course.

Cassia Devros
Traveler

Postby Cassia Devros » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:26 am

By the dark webs what was this women? she had seen magic of a similar quality before, but only priestesses of superb power and ability. Her touch, soothed and ebed the pain in her heart and mind, leaving a steady calm that had eluded her for quite some time. With her new strength, her wounds and grievous injury now healed, she let the strange priestess help her. Why was she trying so hard to help her, what did it gain her? Perhaps if she stayed here, the mystery of this place would review itself. As she moved her arm to rest it on the attractive priestess, she paused feeling the shift in the muscle. Ah, so the malady had finished manifesting without harming her, but remained it did, confirming her fear.

Thank. . . you. . .A guard is exactly what I want, and pancakes would be delightful.
The words coming haltingly, it felt like they were coated in rust after decades of unuse.

But I fear my malady is more intrinsic then that. I am a reviled sorceress, not gifted magic by Lolth but gaining it by the poison of by blood. My blood has been tainted by a. . . monster, and just as I have gained it's twisted magic, so too has it twisted my body. My family threw me out for my taint, Lolth delighted in returning me to the deeps that my new master called home. It was-

distance took her eyes as memory dragged he mind down into terror. Phaere could feel her hear heart quicken.
Horrible.

She felt the Curt Male fall in beside her, aiding in her movement towards whatever fate these two had in store for her, to her surprise she saw no malicious intent from them, her ability in this mater was considerable, and the sincerity she saw in them only confused her more. but it also brought a thought that had escaped her till now.

Who, is this Eilistraee? is she your leader? why do both you tend to me so, by what means does she give you such power?

Irennan
Resident

Postby Irennan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:42 pm

[OOC: this initial paragraph doesn't make sense due to misunderstanding]

Being addressed to as "lady", Phaere instinctively rolled her eyes
"We're friends, Sevren, just call me Phaere. Or should I start to call you "Lord Sevren"?

The young drow remarked with a soft, teasing chuckle.

When she heard, or felt, the pain inflicted on Cassia, Phaere's eyes flared rage. The girl harbored a visceral hatred of tyranny and cruelty.
Neither the one you wrongly call master, nor the stinkin' spider bitch will find you here; Eilistraee's magic will make sure of that. Also, as I said, even if whatever fiendish crap they have up their sleeve managed to find you, they'll need to get past me, and Sevren, and all the others. We're free here, and you are too.

Her voice was filled with kindness, but it also resonated with near-contagious audacity.

Now that ugly things are out of the way... all your questions will receive answers, but it is foolish to have important talks with an empty stomach. I'll be happy to cook the best pancakes you had in a long time, then we can talk all you want.

She then gave the drow warrior a disarming smile
"Forgive me for sidestepping the other sisters, Sevren. I'm just a habitual traveler here, but I'm positive that none of us would deny food and shelter to a hungry person. Let them enjoy their rest until dawn"

Cassia was shown the way within the glade-temple, on a path through the many trees that surrounded it. On ground level was a placid lake, its surface littered with blue, white and pink lotus flowers. A small island was in the middle, covered in grass and particular flowers that glowed with a blue-white light in the night--mostly used for the dances in honor to Eilistraee. There stood a finely sculpted statue of a beautiful drow maiden with ankle-length hair dancing skyclad. The isle was connected to the forest through a curved lumber bridge, covered in moss, vines, and inflorescences. On one side of the lake, there was a rock-strewn slope, upon which a stream of water gently flowed.

The houses of the drow were built on the branches of a ring-shaped canopy of trees around the lake. Spiraling, wooden staircases surrounded the trunks, leading to the dwellings. The latter were built of wood too, and designed with an eye for beauty and elegance: open-plan, with vaulted ceilings, and ample use of thin, graceful columns decorated with floral and leafy motifs, and acute arches. A visible opening in the slope led to caves within, probably hosting a forge, a storage, and the likes, magically kept dry. Small, apparently living globes of dancing light illuminated the forest with silver and a variety of shades of blue, lilac, and green.

Higher on the hill-like formation, the water stream branched out following an artificial bed of rocks, to flow inside the natural slope. A thin fog of steam emanating from that entrance marked the rocks as hot, and to those competent in magic it would be clear that they were magically heated, likely to provide warm water.

[OOC: There isn't any strict canon for the architecture used by followers of Eilistraee. I mean, they generally use natural caves, and proper temples are almost non-existent. However, in line with the freedom of expression that is valued by the moondancers, elven-like architecture is possible , and there are canon examples for it. In this case, I pictured the temple with Lothlorien in mind: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Z8fMw ... sp=sharing]

Beautiful, isn't it? The lotus flowers need quite a lot of tending to grow in this climate, but I find them to be a perfect symbol for Eilistraee. Majestic plants that bloom from mud, just like she makes beauty flourish in everything, especially in the broken.

Phaere said with a romantic look in her eyes.

She invited the other two to a small structure immersed in the canopy. The room that she was given for her stay was spartan if elegant, but she still managed to make it look chaotic. A portable, cross-strung harp and some books lied on her bed: mostly notes about music, recipes, and a sketchbook. Balled up sheets of paper inked with what seemed to be music writing were spread everywhere on the floor and on a desk. A leaf-bladed, silvered, and exquisitely forged (but otherwise mundane) sword leaned against a wooden closet.

She made room on the bed, and nodded towards it.

You can lay here for now, if you wish. In the meantime, I'll go prepare your breakfast, and a room and a warm bath will be readied for you.

She was as sweet as ever, and quickly disappeared off to cook the food.

Not long after, Phaere returned with a plate filled with a very hearty portion of golden, fluffy pancakes covered with honey, and an assortment of fresh berries, all of which she put on the desk--after dismissing the various papers on it with a simple cantrip. She looked extremely satisfied with her work, perhaps just a bit too much. [OOC: She could be like Bard(1)--for her arts--Cleric(9), or a full-blown Bard refluffed as Sword Dancer, with the Performer and Acrobat feats]

"They are yummy, have at it!"

She left the drow ample time to sate their hunger, then she spoke.
So, you want to know about Eilistraee

Her expression became all dreamy when she started speaking of the Dark Maiden, as that of a girl at her first crush
Yes, as you suggested before, Eilistraee is our leader, in a sense, but she is so much more than just that. She is our goddess, and mother, and light, and hope. You know, when you are falling deep down into an abyss, when the weight of the world seems to be all on you, and the darkness and the cold drag you deeper and deeper. Yet you see a light reaching for you even down there, a warmth that surrounds you, embraces you like a mother when you're at your lowest, and brings you up and up until you breathe again, and the abyss turns into the most beautiful starry sky that you've ever seen. That's Eilistraee.

Or when you are so crushed, that you have given up on your dreams and on all, but in that moment you find something like a beautiful flower, or a sweet song, or kind strangers. You feel a loving presence setting the spark within you alight, rebelling to resignation, reminding you of what you wanted to be, of what you're worth. That's also Eilistraee. In short, she's the beauty that gives life purpose even when all seems lost. Oh, and the voice that led you here? I'm pretty sure that it was Eilistraee, and she probably also protected you from potential threats on your way.

Her words were rather theatrical, as expected by a musician and performer, but every single one was filled with pure and vibrant love, rooted deep in her soul.

There are so many songs that I could sing about our sweet Maiden. Like her long, long history as the daughter of the spider bitch and the ever-uncaring elven dandy, who sacrificed comfort, luxury and power to be one of us, share our battle and hopes in the darkest times...

The girl took her black violin to play a few dramatic notes as she spoke.

... but what I told you is the core of what she is to the drow.

As for why I want to help you, well, there are quite a few reasons.

She took the time to consider Cassia's other concerns and to provide answers that could make some sense to her, then began to explain, ticking off motivations on her delicate and nimble fingers.
There's strength in compassion, in saving a life, because untold beauty can stem from an awakened soul, and beauty is the most powerful weapon against fear and resignation. The world is just better for that, and we all live in it.

We Moondancers are also quite lonely up here on the surface, you know. I want every one of us to find out what they've been missing on in life, and to embrace it. I want the drow to feel the wind, the smell of the forest, the freedom of dancing under the moon and to celebrate all that together. I want a happy existence for them, in part so that I can share in it. It's selfish altruism if you will.

And finally, I love Eilistraee. She weeps for all of us that suffer, and I want her to smile instead.

Phaere suddenly became tense for worriment, as she remembered that she was addressing a drow of unknown faith, possibly a Lolthite, and to the kind of religious intolerance she might have been used to. Her words came out hastily, as if to placate any potential concern.

Don't misunderstand us! Eilistraee doesn't require you to convert to her faith—not that she would mind, naturally, and it's lots of fun... anyway, she wants you to take back your happiness, to find your own path and flourish again. That's what makes her smile inside, it's just her nature.

The girl softened again as she spoke of her goddess.

For example, if there's anything we can do to help you with your magic--and situation in general--I know that there will be some of us up to the task—and maybe piss the spider bitch off and teach this so called "master" an unforgettable lesson in the process. I sure am...

Phaere's nonchalant expression and her impish wink clearly marked the last statement as an invitation.
Last edited by Irennan on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Postby Bhaern Quel » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:30 pm

OOC: I was calling Cassia Lady. I however can see that my post could have been confused as to whom the address was meant for. I suspect that most Drow females, brought up in Lolth culture would expect a male to address are females as Lady unless told otherwise.

Cassia Lowers head in a slight bow.
Lady Cassia with your permission I will serve as a guard for you until you choose another. It will be hard for any harm to come to you here.
Even some protection from magic exists in the temple.

Phaere smiles to you.
Phaere, Yes the sisters can rest now as you do like to cook. There is food enough to share and none will object to having a new friend be cared for as you know.

Stayed with Cassia while Phaere left to get the food.

Irennan
Resident

Postby Irennan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:42 pm

[OOC: Oh, completely misunderstood the lady thing. I'll rectify my post to reflect your intent]

Return to “Roleplaying”