I need an opinion part 5

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Leema Har'gachi
Traveler

I need an opinion part 5

Postby Leema Har'gachi » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:57 pm

After spending several months I have now finished development on the six core classes, I'll have a link to the document below. But first I would like to talk a bit. First off, I noticed that the spelling of Psionicist in the original dragon magazine 78 which is the first time the class came into being is different than it is spelled in the Psionic handbook from 2nd edition and every later edition where it is Spelled Psionist, I bring you this question which do you think is probable the better version to go with Psionist or Psionicist?

Now, the main discussion here (besides on any opinion on the classes as well as possible mistakes and error you might find) is my current ideas for Multiclassing. Mostly, I want to have two different styles of multiclassing the first of which functions to the style of multiclassing of 1st and 2nd edition, while the second style functions more along the lines of 3rd/3.5. The fallowing is what I've so far have decided upon, but have yet to set in stone.

Progressive Multiclassing: You start in one class accumulating E.X.P. as you adventure once you have enough you may increase the level of your class or (you may need to save up some more E.X.P) use the E.X.P. to gain a level in a new class (your level in the new class is 1st) however, you do not gain any of the features in the class for 1st level character as you class level is 1, but your character level is 2. Spellcaster levels between classes stays separate but you uses a special spells per day table based on the total level of all spellcasting classes. You do not suffer any penalties for Progressing in two classes, but if you have 3-4 classes you suffer a -10% penalty to all E.X.P. you gain and it increases by another -10% for every two classes after 3.

Gestalt Multiclassing: You state with one level in two to three classes (the class combination you can choose is dependent on your race, with humans able to gestalt with any two classes, but not having any three class combos), E.X.P. is evenly split between all classes. When you level up with more than one class at the same time you gain the best Skill points between classes (see the description section in class document for more details). Caster level and spells per day between spellcaster classes stay separate. You uses the best save, core skills, proficiency bonus, and favored weapon bonus progression between all classes. Sneak Attack damage, Extra attacks (to a max of four attacks), channel divinity stack, but backstab multipliers do not.

https://www.scribd.com/document/382719303/Classes-Revised-version-1-1
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee

Irennan
Resident

Re: I need an opinion part 5

Postby Irennan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:30 pm

I finished reading it today. The multiclassing rules look fine to me--quite close to 5e, but the xp penality for dipping in a lot of classes is appropriate in my eyes.

As for the classes themselves, I quite like it, and you clearly put a lot of effort into it, but without seeing spells, psionic powers, subclasses, and the likes, I won't be able to express a satisfying opinion. The saving throw system is quite interesting as well: it's more articulated than the standard D&D system, but it allows for more finesse thematically, as it allows you to decide to which kind of effect certain characters can resist depending on their theme (without lumping very different effects together under the Will, Fort, and Ref category. 5e does that nicely too, but some saves end up being far less valuable than others, as--say--stuff that requires a CHA saving throw is very rare to come across).

Just one point about the Psionist (or Psionicist--I prefer the latter btw, because the sound of Psionist reminds me of the word Zionist): why do they only get class features for telepathy, and not for the other psionic disciplines?

Leema Har'gachi
Traveler

Re: I need an opinion part 5

Postby Leema Har'gachi » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:10 pm

Irennan wrote:I finished reading it today. The multiclassing rules look fine to me--quite close to 5e, but the xp penality for dipping in a lot of classes is appropriate in my eyes.

That is good, when I decieded to go back to seperate E.X.P. progressions between classes I was really worried that it would make it a bit harder to balance out multiclassing.

Irennan wrote:As for the classes themselves, I quite like it, and you clearly put a lot of effort into it, but without seeing spells, psionic powers, subclasses, and the likes, I won't be able to express a satisfying opinion. The saving throw system is quite interesting as well: it's more articulated than the standard D&D system, but it allows for more finesse thematically, as it allows you to decide to which kind of effect certain characters can resist depending on their theme (without lumping very different effects together under the Will, Fort, and Ref category. 5e does that nicely too, but some saves end up being far less valuable than others, as--say--stuff that requires a CHA saving throw is very rare to come across).
I'm glad the save throws hit you just right. I will have some when I get my official playtest document done (about 10 per level category per class with some spells being on multiple list). I am currently working on how the Psionic Disciplines will be displayed, keep on going back and forth on wither I want powers to be able to spend more power points to increase their abilities or just have them progress with Psionist levels....

Irennan wrote:Just one point about the Psionist (or Psionicist--I prefer the latter btw, because the sound of Psionist reminds me of the word Zionist): why do they only get class features for telepathy, and not for the other psionic disciplines?

Ah, good to know. Psionist is a lot easier to type personally. When I started writting it Psionicist I didn't notice that the stuff from my older versions that pulled and update used Psionist so I had to go back to change the name everytime it was mentioned. Took awhile.
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee

Return to “General Discussion”