Eilistraee art

This forum is to post all the fun, weird and wonderful things you come across on your travels (on the Internet). Movies, flash, pictures, stories… if you think it's something enjoyable and want to share it with the rest of us then this is the place to post it.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Leema Har'gachi
Traveler

Re: Eilistraee art

Postby Leema Har'gachi » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Shae wrote:
Leema Har'gachi wrote:This is one of only a few pictures I've done that is colored, let alone shaded sooo I am not sure how it looks. You can also see the original hand drawn base art I did on my deviantart account too.

https://ultimatewkar.deviantart.com/art/D-l-lael-Phraktos-The-Colored-Edition-749589933?ga_submit_new=10%3A1528910211

I hope you guys enjoy her.

Hmm. I don't personally do much cell style shading, but IMO I kind of feel like the highlighting on the nose is a little too broad. And your shading gives the legs 3D definition right up to where it hits the calf, but then at the calf you run the line of the boots straight across with no highlighting or shading to compensate, not even at the crease, flattening it out. Same for the hand in the open fist facing the viewer.

On the other hand you've got fairly accurate lighting (something I have trouble with myself), with the lighting at the shoulders particularly well done, and it's overall an interesting and different design perspective with definite potential. Thanks for sharing with us. :)

Thanks for the feedback, I don't usually have color or shading on my work so it is kind of a new experience for me. I really hate trying to figure out what colors to use for the dark and lighter shades. clothing is also kind of a pain as different material distributes light differently, polished leather tends to have more lighter patches than cloth fabics, but cloth tends to have more wrinkles in it. I wasn't sure what kind of material boots would be made out of, I'll try to remember to keep the lighting on the nose thinner.
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee

Orin
Traveler

Postby Orin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:36 pm

Leema Har'gachi wrote:Yoy, guys. Recently I've been making a string of art to practice on my drawling pad using Clip Studio and since my most recent one is drow related, I'd thought I'd share it. I don't remember if I even show off my older pictures of this character when I had them scanned them, but this new one is of that character... This is one of only a few pictures I've done that is colored, let alone shaded sooo I am not sure how it looks. You can also see the original hand drawn base art I did on my deviantart account too.

https://ultimatewkar.deviantart.com/art/D-l-lael-Phraktos-The-Colored-Edition-749589933?ga_submit_new=10%3A1528910211

I don't know much about how to actually create visual art, so I might not be the best person to ask, but I do really love her expression. She seems both vibrant and kind, which I enjoy. I agree with Irennen, that her clothes seem modern, but I find it less distracting, as that may well have been your intention. She may in fact be from...THE WORLD OF TOMORROOOOWWW!!! I have no idea how shading or lighting works in drawing, but you've definitely given her definition. She is looking fit with that CHISELED mid rift. I also like the touch of her hair coming down behind her, showing length. Drow lady's with long hair make me happy. :)

There are only two things that I find distracting, both of which might have been intentional. The first is that her left hand seems to have the thumb on the wrong side. The second, and this is distracting in the best way possible, is that she seems to have an abundance of camel toe, or tightness in that area, which again, may totally have been what you were going for and if it was bless you for making the world that much prettier. :devil:

All in all I like it. Good work on trying out a new technique like coloring and shading, too.
Let not the biting, callous and sometimes cruel words of unenlightened and uncaring minds sway your heart from your passions. For it is your passions that are the language with which your soul speaks to the world.

Leema Har'gachi
Traveler

Postby Leema Har'gachi » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:11 pm

Orin wrote:
Leema Har'gachi wrote:Yoy, guys. Recently I've been making a string of art to practice on my drawling pad using Clip Studio and since my most recent one is drow related, I'd thought I'd share it. I don't remember if I even show off my older pictures of this character when I had them scanned them, but this new one is of that character... This is one of only a few pictures I've done that is colored, let alone shaded sooo I am not sure how it looks. You can also see the original hand drawn base art I did on my deviantart account too.

I don't know much about how to actually create visual art, so I might not be the best person to ask, but I do really love her expression. She seems both vibrant and kind, which I enjoy. I agree with Irennen, that her clothes seem modern, but I find it less distracting, as that may well have been your intention. She may in fact be from...THE WORLD OF TOMORROOOOWWW!!! I have no idea how shading or lighting works in drawing, but you've definitely given her definition. She is looking fit with that CHISELED mid rift. I also like the touch of her hair coming down behind her, showing length. Drow lady's with long hair make me happy. :)

There are only two things that I find distracting, both of which might have been intentional. The first is that her left hand seems to have the thumb on the wrong side. The second, and this is distracting in the best way possible, is that she seems to have an abundance of camel toe, or tightness in that area, which again, may totally have been what you were going for and if it was bless you for making the world that much prettier. :devil:

All in all I like it. Good work on trying out a new technique like coloring and shading, too.

I am glad you like her expression, I don't usually try to do much with facial expression on less it is one of my comics or sequence arts. I kind of based the basic design of her clothes off of Hikari Yagami From digimon adventures 02, granted I tried to make it in a way that would at least resemble it. On the subject of her Chiseled mid rift, I'm not 100% sure... but, I think I like my women Athlete and buxom ;) :P. I didn't notice the thumb being wrong, the distinct camel toe wasn't completely intentional I figured the pants would be somewhat tight, but I didn't expect the seam there to accentuate her already visible um shape. Honestly, I'm surprise you didn't find the size of her breasts distracting :eek: , I mean I kind of made sure they are like punching you in the face when you look at the picture... I am happy you enjoyed her thought. :D

Orin
Traveler

Postby Orin » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:15 pm

The first thing I notice about just about every woman I've met (born that way or not) is her hair and her eyes. The next thing is her voice, followed very swiftly by her figure and her bottom, but the eyes are always first and THIS young lady's eyes are full of life and vibrancy. I also quite like her mid rift too, I'm actually attracted to all kind of body types. I've never really had a "type" in my life. All women are attractive too me. Her breasts are also very nice, so kudos on that as well.
Let not the biting, callous and sometimes cruel words of unenlightened and uncaring minds sway your heart from your passions. For it is your passions that are the language with which your soul speaks to the world.

Irennan
Resident

Postby Irennan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:20 pm

Not a painting, but closely reminded me of Eilistraee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtT1cT6CQfM

Leema Har'gachi
Traveler

Postby Leema Har'gachi » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:02 pm

You all I've tried to draw Eilistraee recently, a couple times really. Thought I would share them... Though I really wish we had better official art of her, it would be better if I had some good references for how she should look. Also... I think I made her too um buff, they don't really look very athletic to me.... :(
https://www.deviantart.com/ultimatewkar/art/Eilistraee-3-753696659?ga_submit_new=10%3A1531158991
https://www.deviantart.com/ultimatewkar/art/Eilistraee-1-753694013
https://www.deviantart.com/ultimatewkar/art/Eilistraee-2-753696038

I might try inking the last one in clip studio some time. How you guys enjoy.

Orin
Traveler

Postby Orin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:37 pm

Ok, so first, Irennen, that sculpture is awesome, the level of detail is just - amazing. A funny thing happened when I clicked it to play: I had another video open, but paused in another tab and it played when I hit play on your video. The paused video was like 2 hours of D&D music, so I thought it was coming from your video and she was dancing to it. Very funny and beautifully timed. :)

Orin
Traveler

Postby Orin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Leema,

Let me first say that I think your sketches here are great. I do agree with you that, at least with the last one, she IS a tad on the "Built like a brick shit house" side. That's not to say that that is bad, just not very much like the depictions of Eilistraee that are known. Which, by the by, here's a link to an image that is one of the only legit canon images of her. It is of a holy symbol of her and is also one of my favorite images.

https://i0.wp.com/img3.wikia.nocookie.n ... jpg?zoom=2

Now, all of that being said, I think your first two images are closer to Eilistraee's look, especially with respect to the hair and legs. On a mostly personal aesthetic point of attraction on my own part, I like how you can see her butt between her legs. "giggles like an idiot" I think the second image is drawn better, but I prefer the first images proportions and stance. Both, as I said are great though. With respect to the last image, it's actually amazing. You are fucking great at drawing ripped, muscles and muscular characters. In that vein I want to ask: Have you ever tried your hand at drawing orcs or half-orcs?

Leema Har'gachi
Traveler

Postby Leema Har'gachi » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:04 pm

Orin wrote:Leema,

Let me first say that I think your sketches here are great. I do agree with you that, at least with the last one, she IS a tad on the "Built like a brick shit house" side. That's not to say that that is bad, just not very much like the depictions of Eilistraee that are known. Which, by the by, here's a link to an image that is one of the only legit canon images of her. It is of a holy symbol of her and is also one of my favorite images.

Don't forget they do have a hard to see picture of Eilistraee's avatar in faith & Patheons for 3rd edition.

Orin wrote:Now, all of that being said, I think your first two images are closer to Eilistraee's look, especially with respect to the hair and legs. On a mostly personal aesthetic point of attraction on my own part, I like how you can see her butt between her legs. "giggles like an idiot" I think the second image is drawn better, but I prefer the first images proportions and stance. Both, as I said are great though. With respect to the last image, it's actually amazing. You are fucking great at drawing ripped, muscles and muscular characters. In that vein I want to ask: Have you ever tried your hand at drawing orcs or half-orcs?

Glad you like the view. On the Subject of orcs and half-orcs, I reaally don't like them. So no, I haven't drawn orcs or half-orcs.

I have a inked version of the last one as well as a shaded, colored, grey scale with toning, and monochrome scale with toning. I slimed her muscles down a bit a fixed and problem with her left breast being bigger than her right.
https://www.deviantart.com/ultimatewkar/art/Eilistraee-Inked-Line-Art-755916002
https://www.deviantart.com/ultimatewkar/art/Eilistraee-Fully-colored-755916800
https://www.deviantart.com/ultimatewkar/art/Eilistraee-Grey-toned-755917284
https://www.deviantart.com/ultimatewkar/art/Eilistraee-Shaded-755917790
https://www.deviantart.com/ultimatewkar/art/Eilistraee-Monochrome-toned-755919326
Enjoy!

Shae
Traveler

Postby Shae » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:06 am

Leema Har'gachi wrote:You all I've tried to draw Eilistraee recently, a couple times really. Thought I would share them... Though I really wish we had better official art of her, it would be better if I had some good references for how she should look. :(

I don't see why not use fanart or other non-D&D art for references as much as the official art, as long as it fits the general qualities listed for her in canon, which we know from what's already been written about it in the sources. There's a number of pictures just in this thread that could probably serve as reasonable references. To some extent, faces or things people find attractive and/or beautiful also tend to have something to do with what they've been through, their personal experiences, and I think for Eilistraee, as a character, that might be important; it's not everything, but it's not nothing, either. So I think artists have a lot of leeway in portraying the character, as long as the general parameters we're already given to distinguish the character in canon are also there. Though, given that, since in regards to detail, we're told Eilistraee's hair is ankle-length, in future pictures you might want to think about extending the ends of her hair a bit (it looks to me like it's falling to her calves at the moment.)

Regarding technique, if you don't mind accepting a bit more feedback, I feel like her chest is a bit high. Specifically, there appears to be almost no space between her collarbone and where the breast starts. In the future, if you're so inclined, a rule of thumb you can use when you're drawing to convey more anatomical balance in the image of a female character, is to ensure there's always roughly about a sideways hands-breath of space between a character's collarbone and where the top line of the breast starts. Also, the weighting in the breast also needs to be in the bottom, not at the top, particularly since Eilistraee doesn't wear anything, so there wouldn't be a push-up bra effect, meaning the breast would sit naturally somewhat lower. Even when using a highly stylized anime aesthetic, it should still be possible to replicate a more wall-eye natural effect (that Luo Li Rong statue that Irennan posted earlier in the thread is a reasonable reference for that) in order to avoid too much 'uncanny valley' without compromising the artistic style you've chosen by simply shifting the point of the breast a bit outwards. I think the resulting end-effect would look more like your first or second image draft, chest-wise, rather than the third, necessarily.

The colored images continue to reflect your keen eye for lighting placement.

Thanks for sharing. :)
Well known path to Chang'an resembles yiqi.
Hundred years of life cannot bear the grief.

--Du Fu

Return to “On Promoting Joy”