Eilistraee art

This forum is to post all the fun, weird and wonderful things you come across on your travels (on the Internet). Movies, flash, pictures, stories… if you think it's something enjoyable and want to share it with the rest of us then this is the place to post it.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Re: Eilistraee art

Post by Leema Har'gachi »

Irennan wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:18 am IMO, the muscles and breasts are a bit too prominent for an elven body. Aside from that, it's pretty cool, thank you for sharing :)
Well, I tried to keep her arms and legs more atheltic then body builder, since you know that other one was a really bulky and I know the whole stomach muscle thing is a bit much... But, I really like how it make her look... I guess next time I should at least try to make her a bit less busty.
wrote: Leema Har'gachi wrote: ↑Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:37 pm
Yo, got an new hand drawn picture of Eilistraee for you guys. I've been watching drawling tutorials by mikey mega mega, so I hope you guys like it. I'll be digital inking it and coloring.... but I have a question, do you guys know a good base skin color for drow. I've been using really dark blues and purple, but it doesn't really look right to me, so if you have any idea please tell me (if you know the exact RBG numbers that even better).

https://www.deviantart.com/ultimatewkar ... -783153871
Enjoy!
Your chest line is consistently overtly high, particularly for the size of the breasts here, but the breasts and areola themselves have a more accurate yaw vis a vis your last image and you've done clean work on the waist, legs, hips/pelvis and hair. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Regarding the coloring, I personally usually use warm spectrum (red, yellow etc) or green blacks and grays, so if you're looking for a change you can always try giving that a whirl. Unfortunately I don't really focus on the color numbers though.
In my defense I was basically fallowing mikey mega mega's tutorial guidelines on basic body, he draw a guideline across the upper chest directly beneath the circle used for the shoulders. So I guess I should have made my guidelines for the shoulders bigger so the chest line is in the proper place. I'm glad that their shape is at least good, It is always hard to figure out exactly how big areolas should be. :p My problem with blacks is it is generally harder to see as well as figuring out the different shades needed for shadows and lights, there is just too many greys for me to know what to do with, and greens.... how do you color a dark elf with green? I'm am really just trying to find a good color set for digitally colored drow, my first attempt used purple it was alright, but I don't think it was dark. Then, I try very slight shades of black it was really hard for me to see any difference between the base color and the shadows. The current piece of drow related art I been working on for over two months now started with a dark blue... but, I didn't like the shadow... it just didn't set right with (I do have a small preview image of it on my deviant art page with its current color set). Right now I'm currently using a different set of purple, but I still feel like I just don't have a good color scheme for drow, which is why that Eilistraee character sheet still isn't done yet. :(
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

I went to go look up this artist's work and if a brief perusal of Google is any indication, it looks like he uses the guideline in question as a mark-off for the start of the decolletage. Since judging from your last two images, you tend to orient yourself in the upper body overly high to start, the result didn't quite turn out. I think a shortcut you could try would be to start your chest guideline not at the decolletage as the tutorial does but rather lower at midchest, through the middle of the upper arms (which probably needs to be a bit longer themselves come to think), so that it would instead denote the areola line/the widest point of the breasts. That would shift the guideline crosspoint directly in the middle of the chest and might be a more effective orienting point for you in figuring out where to put breasts on a female figure with more consistent accuracy. Though, then again, you're not all *that* far off from 'getting it' just on the original guideline alone, so if you want to continue to use that and just practice a bit more with your own mentioned alterations, that could also work. All roads lead to Rome and all that.

I don't think I'll be much help to you putting together precise color sets. My digital art style in general (and therefore my coloring habits) is all exceptionally loose compared to yours (as I've said before I don't do much if any cel shading, I prefer a more painting style) and consequently I don't pay much attention to precision color matching. But I can give a brief simplified rundown of what I tend to do if you think it will help you focus your choices any. Basically, I shift the color picker into the green or red spectrum, pick the darkest color in the spectrum at random---so dark it looks black---then use that as the base color. Then I create another layer and start shifting the picker upward using random lighter shades of the same color gradually as the basic shading, then I shift the picker and pick either a similar or complementary color, it can be either. So if using green-black for the base color for instance I might then switch to yellow, orange, blue or red, randomly pick a color from there in the shade (light or dark, can be gray, sometimes not, and I don't bother with the numbers, it just needs to be in the ballpark by eye) and scribble it in and then get the blur tool or blur filter and blend. I might alternate like that between two or three different other colors other than the base color for the shading depending on what I feel like looks good and do touchups with black/base color set on a lower opacity. If you want some idea of the finished product my forum avatar probably counts, although I actually started him with a red-black base, not a green-black one (and besides the image is bogglingly old now. TT)
Well known path to Chang'an resembles yiqi.
Hundred years of life cannot bear the grief.

--Du Fu
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Ok, I've spent some time testing out varies colors and I think I've found a base color and a shadow that I like. So I think this would be a color set that should make a good looking drow skin tone, but I am having a bit of problem deciding on my exact color for parts of the skin that are being light up by light. I've made two color tests using one of my old eilistraee pictures, so I would like your guys opinions on which lightening scheme I should use or it I should use a even lighter color. I actually find out a pretty cool feature of clip studio paint when I was testing out color, they have a function called lock transparent pixels which when check makes it so you can change colors or add effects without having to worry about drawling over parts that was clear on the layer, it was really hand while do this stuff.

https://www.deviantart.com/ultimatewkar ... 1551545020
https://www.deviantart.com/ultimatewkar ... -787889602

Hope to hear some opinions.
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

Personally I prefer the first one; I like softer lighting.

Lighting also has gradation so another transition color would work.

Thanks for sharing.

--Du Fu
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Shae wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:08 am Personally I prefer the first one; I like softer lighting.

Lighting also has gradation so another transition color would work.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the feedback, now you get to see the results of it with this new piece of work, that I did while watching mikey mega mega's new tutorial on characters with silver hair. So here is another Eilistraee picture, close up and so silvery.
https://www.deviantart.com/ultimatewkar ... 1555008135
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

Her eyebrows are way too high IMO, but otherwise nicely done. The eyes make the picture and the 'silvery-ness' came out well. :)

Thank you for sharing.

--Du Fu
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Shae wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:42 pm Her eyebrows are way too high IMO, but otherwise nicely done. The eyes make the picture and the 'silvery-ness' came out well. :)

Thank you for sharing.
Thanks for the input on the eye brows, I didn't really notice that. Good thing I was working on a different lightening version, so I fixed the eye brows finished my lightening, created a background and wha-la.This version is a bit less exessive with the lighter lightening.
https://www.deviantart.com/ultimatewkar ... 1557941760

Hope you all enjoy.
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

Hairshine is still good, brows are now great, background is good...To be honest I'm not sure if it's just my computer display, but I can't really see her mouth anymore. If it's not just me, you might actually have over-corrected some on the lighter. ^^;;

--Du Fu
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Shae wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:50 am Hairshine is still good, brows are now great, background is good...To be honest I'm not sure if it's just my computer display, but I can't really see her mouth anymore. If it's not just me, you might actually have over-corrected some on the lighter. ^^;;
You have a point about the lips, what i needed to do is add the bit of light that tends to appear on the bottom lip, but every time I do that it just doesn't look right not helping is my more recent attempt at a merged lighting style (somewhat anime lightening somewhat soft lightening) kind of like how artist like Jadenkaiba tend to do it, except I seem to be lack some fundamental understanding to make it work. Not sure what I'm missing.
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

I don't know if it would really solve your issue, but given where you're at in the picture, I'd suggest trying to pare back the prominence of the highlighter on the cheeks a bit. Then sharpening the lighting on the line of the nose as well as expanding the reach of the secondary lighting on the tip of the nose going up the side of the bridge, so leaning back just a bit more on your typical cel style shading, in order to put more focus on the center of the character's face. Then try shifting the line of the lip light to the top edge of the bottom lip where her mouth closes. The lip light is going to be relatively narrow in this scenario, but at least it would be there.

I don't have access to my tablet right now to point out where I mean exactly on the nose, so I'm afraid I have to just hope the description alone is helpful. :sweat:

--Du Fu
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Another painting of Eilistraee from the web. Glad to see more and more people drawing her.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Lovely painting. I like it. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Shae
Maid
Maid

Post by Shae »

Ooo. The word imposing comes to mind. It just has a bit of that wild blue yonder, epic, grand vibe about it. It almost feels a bit like that part in Greenwood's "Silverfall" where Qilue is pointing out what she takes to be a sign of Eilistraee in the vast sky to her fellow clerics. I like the detailing in the hair.

--Du Fu
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Shae wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:29 am Ooo. The word imposing comes to mind. It just has a bit of that wild blue yonder, epic, grand vibe about it. It almost feels a bit like that part in Greenwood's "Silverfall" where Qilue is pointing out what she takes to be a sign of Eilistraee in the vast sky to her fellow clerics. I like the detailing in the hair.
I remember that scene; I think the stars themselves were forming the silhouette of a woman opening the sky for the moonlight to shine. Now that you make me notice it, this picture captures the feeling that Qilué and the others must have had on that occasion quite well. It's pretty majestic.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

First, I'd like to say I love this picture you posted Irennan, especially the smooth lighting. I wish I could do something like that. Hell, I have this as the background on my tracfone.
Second, I recent was looking at a different brand of sketchbook at wal-mart (i've been having problems with brand I have been using as I can't ink my art in it, so I was looking for a better grade of paper) I noticed that paper grade I've been getting is 110, but this other brand has a 60 grade so I got it deciding to try it out and see how it handles inking. It handles it a lot better, so I have a few pieces of Eilistraee art I did to test the paper.
https://www.deviantart.com/ultimatewkar ... -806168240
The first one I did with only the ink pen, I didn't set up any guidelines of any kind. I just did it.
https://www.deviantart.com/ultimatewkar ... -806167820
This second one is A rebuilt from scratch of one of the pictures of Eilistraee I did in my other sketchbook (shae will recognize it I'm sure).
I should mention I found out why the breasts where too high on the original version in my other sketchbook, it is because I was using my shoulder guidelines wrong. You see what I was doing was make the guidelines and then draw the shoulder circle with the line basically passing through the circles center. How I was suppose to be using it was the top of the circle should be touching the guidelines, it should have never went through it. SO yeah that what I was doing wrong, should have paid better attention to thous tutorials.
Finally, I'd like to mention that I've started a patreon. If you like what I do, please consider helping me out. You get access to alternate versions of my newer art and can get the PSD's. I should mentioned that I've been having problems with it saving attachments (I don't understand why it isn't saving them to the post), so some of my newer arts PSD's have yet to get added to my patreon.
You can accesses my patreon here: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=21630467