Winter Holiday

This forum is for general discussion and open to all. If there is anything you wish to talk about with the Chosen then this is the place to do it. Please limit the use of this forum to out of character discussions. For in character roleplaying please use the Free Form Roleplaying forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Orin
Maid
Maid

Re: Winter Holiday

Post by Orin »

Irennan wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:31 pm That's not waxing idiotic. In fact, it was very interesting. I knew that elves and dark elves were Norse (while the fae are Celtic), but I didn't know about the rest (or the names of the various days. In my language, they come from various celestial bodies--namely, the moon, the sun and some of the planets in the Solar System. For example, Monday="Lunedì"="giorno della Luna"=day of the Moon. In fact, I thought that Monday was a shortened version of Moonday).

Also, the comic was hilarious, thanks for sharing.

Sorry for the delayed reaction, holidays and I didn't realize you'd replied. Wow! I never knew that about Monday/Lunedi. Crap, maybe I'm wrong and it is Moonday...shoot. I thought about the fact that the days might be different in your language and decided to just share what my Anglicised perspective was, as I was hoping you might share ;)

I looked up the other days of the week in Italian, but there is no info on their etymology. What do the other days mean?

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday again.
Let not the biting, callous and sometimes cruel words of unenlightened and uncaring minds sway your heart from your passions. For it is your passions that are the language with which your soul speaks to the world.
Orin
Maid
Maid

Post by Orin »

P.S. Thanks for saying it was interesting. It felt like a pile of words.
Let not the biting, callous and sometimes cruel words of unenlightened and uncaring minds sway your heart from your passions. For it is your passions that are the language with which your soul speaks to the world.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Orin wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:22 am
Irennan wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:31 pm That's not waxing idiotic. In fact, it was very interesting. I knew that elves and dark elves were Norse (while the fae are Celtic), but I didn't know about the rest (or the names of the various days. In my language, they come from various celestial bodies--namely, the moon, the sun and some of the planets in the Solar System. For example, Monday="Lunedì"="giorno della Luna"=day of the Moon. In fact, I thought that Monday was a shortened version of Moonday).

Also, the comic was hilarious, thanks for sharing.

Sorry for the delayed reaction, holidays and I didn't realize you'd replied. Wow! I never knew that about Monday/Lunedi. Crap, maybe I'm wrong and it is Moonday...shoot. I thought about the fact that the days might be different in your language and decided to just share what my Anglicised perspective was, as I was hoping you might share ;)

I looked up the other days of the week in Italian, but there is no info on their etymology. What do the other days mean?

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday again.
Np at all. As for the etymology of the Italian days
Monday=Lunedì=day of the Moon
Tuesday=Martedì=day of Mars
Wednesday=Mercoledì=day of Mercury
Thursday=Giovedì=day of Jupiter
Friday=Venerdì=day of Venus
Saturday=Sabato=day of Saturn (dies Saturnii was the original Latin name, but it also means day of rest)
Sunday=Domenica=day of the Sun, but also day of the Lord (similarly to Saturday, it was dies Solis in Latin, it later became dies Domini=day of the Lord).

Now that I think about it, perhaps--aside from Monday and Sunday, which were undoubtly named after Sun and Moon by the Romans--the other days of the week are named after their gods, since I believe they named the planets that they knew of (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn) after their gods too.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Orin
Maid
Maid

Post by Orin »

Thanks for sharing that. It's an interesting little piece of your culture that most folks might not know and are the better for knowing. The Romans did definitely name the celestial bodies they discovered after their gods. So the idea that they named the days of the week thusly as well, is more than likely. I think that this might have been somewhat of a trend throughout Europe. Another interesting theory is that, just as the Roman gods are based on Greek ones, the Norse Pantheon is also and/or vice versa.