Nedylene

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: ok attempt at actual stats here...

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Nedylene":177qghbw]Name: Nedylene Alkesta

Is a background useful at this point or not necessary, I have one but it would take a while?[/quote:177qghbw]

It is not needed, though can be entertaining to read. It also might effect RP. Back in the old days *quere somber theme music* when I firist started to role play, when hamsters in squirril cages powered my conection to the net, my character was a robed man. One saw his hair (red), eyes (brown), robe and a weapon or two. They learned about the character by interacting with him one way or another.
*glances down* End of post - hamster is getting tried *wink*
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Post by Unen_Stealthfoot »

Mwahahahaha... My computer is powered by Hoover Dam. 8) :p
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Journey before destination
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Nedylene":3bh55u42]Name: Nedylene Alkesta
Race: drow
Hair: white
Eyes: Lavender
I could post stats here but this is from a past character who made epic level and i dont want everyone going omigod..so i wont.
alignment: neutral good
character class: battle sorceress
Is a background useful at this point or not necessary, I have one but it would take a while?[/quote:3bh55u42]
Personally I rarely post character backgrounds, stats or even descriptions for characters. Instead I let people find out about my character’s appearance through the roleplaying posts I make (in similar fashion as to how writers show you their characters’ appearances).

For instance, I dug up the very first post I made when starting to play Shir’le (and, in fact, started online roleplaying) years ago on the ALFA forums:

[quote="Shir'le E. Illios":3bh55u42]In one of the darker corners—hidden deep within the shadows—sits a figure wearing a greenish-gray cloak bend over one of the simple, wooden tables so typical for the establishment. The hood of the garment is pulled up, hiding the face in even more shadows. Through an opening in the front of the coat two slender arms stick out, the hands of which are clad in thin, white gloves. Her right hand, for it is evident that this is a woman, moves a somewhat tattered quill over a piece of paper, sometimes dipping it in a vial of black ink before returning to the task.

With her free hand she pick up a mug standing next to the paper and moves it inside the hood, clearly taking a sip from whatever liquid it holds. She then places it back, a faint trail of vapor rising from it carrying the astringent smell of cinnamon. After dedicating some more writing to the paper she lifts her hand as if in contemplation. The movement of her arm is ever so slightly noticeable as it beats to an unheard rhythm. With a quick nod she seems satisfied after a while and eagerly continues her work, totally oblivious of her surrounding.

A single, nearly extinguished candle bathes the parchment she’s working on in a pale, flickering light. Then with a wild flicker the flame dies as it reaches the end of its fuse, a slim plume of smoke spiraling to the ceiling as a signal of its demise. She puts down the pen, lowers her head—a lock of white hair escaping from under her hood, hanging in view to any careful observer—and sighs. Moving with a fluid grace that is not quite human she stands up and walks past the table. A soft ‘thud’ is audible as something hard under her cloak—judging from the protruding hilt a sword—collides with the wood. She ignores it though and continues towards the bartender.[/quote:3bh55u42]
Not the best of openings perhaps, but then I was also quite new at this at that point. ;)

The rest of her appearance becomes clear later. Like readers will only get the color of her eyes or that she wears her hair in a single braid when the removes the hood. Also only at that point do they find out that she’s a drow (in the beginning she was taken for a fair elf, which led to some interesting roleplay).

All I’m saying is, don’t feel like you have to post stats or appearances or much of anything here… the forum is here if you [i:3bh55u42]want[/i:3bh55u42] to, but it’s no requirement by any means. And if you want to post large, multi-volume character backgrounds and histories then by all means do so. That’s also what the forum is for.

As for roleplaying in general… the best way to learn is by doing. And don’t be afraid to make mistakes. I think we’ve got a very kind and friendly community here that should be quite understanding of such (after all, we’re all prone to making mistakes no matter how much experience we have). And if not, if anyone gives you grief then just let me know and I’ll give them a proper spanking. ;)

[quote="Unen_Stealthfoot":3bh55u42]Sounds a bit Drizzty, which I don't have a problem with, but Drizzt isn't the most popular character around here (presumably because he's good but doesn't worship our lady even though he's drow :/ ).[/quote:3bh55u42]
The description didn’t sound Drizzty to me at all, though I realize that any mention of a drow with lavender eyes and dual scimitars tends to make people jump to the “Drizzt” conclusion.

Your presumption why Drizzt isn’t liked isn’t quite correct. I think the main reason is that Drizzt-like characters tend to have a bad name. It is one of the most visible and most often-copied characters, usually copied by those with little imagination and little desire to actually roleplay (just that they feel Drizzt is ‘cool’ and thus want to be him).

Now, in general this would be alright, but all these Drizzt-clones are giving the whole drow community a bad name (particularly those wanting to play good-aligned drow characters). Thus whenever drow are mentioned the very fist thing people think of is Drizzt and how they dislike the character and all the copies it spawned. It’s as if we constantly have to remind people that we are [i:3bh55u42]not[/i:3bh55u42] Drizzt clones and have instead characters in their own right. Thus we often tend to stay as far away from anything Drizzt-like as possible just to make the association as unlikely as possible.

It has little to do with Drizzt not following the Dark Maiden (though I do wonder that if he’d actually known about the goddess if he wouldn’t be tempted to change his patron deity) and everything with the character’s legion of clones giving all of us a bad name.

[quote="Unen_Stealthfoot":3bh55u42]Also, I have a question. why are so many good drow violet eyed when such eye color among drow is extremely rare. Drizzt's mother, for example, had never even heard of a purple eyed drow when she gave birth to him. :?[/quote:3bh55u42]
From what I remember there was some speculation that Drizzt’s eyes were lavender because he might have a few drops of surface (elf or human) blood in him. If that is indeed the answer then it would make sense that his mother had never heard of purple eyed drow as such things would be exceedingly rare in the Underdark. On the surface however something like that would be a lot more common. Particularly among those that have a friendly relationship (or try to have anyway) with such races to begin with.

Of course, it’s probably just as Nedylene said that the Forgotten Realms book lists it as one of the possible eye colors and red tends to be too ‘harsh’ for a good aligned-drow. ;)

And for the record, Shir’le has red eyes (not that it matters).

Hope that was at least somewhat helpful. :)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Post by Rooky »

Hey, don't forget CG 5-TH LEVEL MINOTAUR!!!! Happy Velve? It's not epic! :D ;)

[quote:30wfcfv8] For instance, I dug up the very first post I made when starting to play Shir’le (and, in fact, started online roleplaying) years ago on the ALFA forums: [/quote:30wfcfv8]

You still have the post to that, I'd like to finish reading it :D
I'm a sucker when it comes to Elves. (Dark Elves mostly. Not eaven gonna' start on females ;) )

Eaven, if the elf bares a frekish resemblence to the High Priestess....Best not write down my thoughts for a long long while....
:3
Nedylene
Hero||Heroine

yeaaa...

Post by Nedylene »

lol..sounds great ...should I make my first rp post in the rouge, roug whatever inn? is that where most people start out?or is there somewhere more appropriate?hopefully i will figure all this out soon and stop bombarding you all with my inane questions.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: yeaaa...

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Nedylene":26cgj5c4]lol..sounds great ...should I make my first rp post in the rouge, roug whatever inn? is that where most people start out?or is there somewhere more appropriate?hopefully i will figure all this out soon and stop bombarding you all with my inane questions.[/quote:26cgj5c4]

You certainly can enter the Inn, however there is no rule that you have to. The Inn is a rather recent addition RP thread considering the history of the Chosen. The Inn is a place that one can ente freely, spend an hour or spend days or weeks. The same can be said about A Temple (that I just started) or you can start you own new thread A New Begginning was started by Rooky as a way to introduce her character and recieve a little magical assistance.

Either the Inn or temple, there already are leadership in place that seek to guide events (in some ways they are the DM/GM but do not control all that occurs there) because walls doors, leadership positions are currently occupied. It clearly is posible to introduce ones own issues into eith of these threads, and you take on a DM/GM role for that part of the story. In free flow even player has some duties of being the judge of events that effect their character. High traffic threads offen result in spin offs threads, like the Redeye clan spun off Wildwood.

Non of us can tell you where you have to post, non of us can tell you what to post.
Tyrmer
Hero||Heroine

Post by Tyrmer »

Lol the Inn is by no means an official beginners thread, I just happened to be pestered to start it again. Lol and don't worry about asking questions, I'm sure I was just as bad, clogging up the OOC Forum with all my characters. :D All good fun!
Titles:

Master of the Lady's Dances
Recoverer of the Tome of Moonlight
Scribe of the Dark Maiden's Temple

High Priest of the Church of Rooky :D
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

[quote:2n2ziy9v]in some ways they are the DM/GM but do not control all that occurs there[/quote:2n2ziy9v]

What's a GM? :?
Life before death
Strength before weakness
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

GM = Game Master (that was used by other companies when persenting RPing games amd TSR was trying to trademark and/or copyright everything printed by them)
Unen_Stealthfoot
Legend

Oh. So a GM and a DM are the same thing, just different companies. Thank you for the info. :)
Life before death
Strength before weakness