Forums Working Again

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Forums Working Again

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

As you might have noticed the last couple of days the forums gave the "out of memory" error again. As of yesterday afternoon things seem to be working once more.

This is the third time this has happened this year. Not only that, but they've been handling it very poorly. Last Thursday evening when I found out that the problem was back again (thanks to all who let me know) I immediately contacted my host. But it wasn't until Friday late afternoon that they told me that they had an engineer looking into it. This engineer apparently doesn't work on the weekends (presumably my host thinks that the Internet stops over the weekend too) so nothing happened until Monday afternoon. Even now that it seems to be working again I have yet to hear anything more from my host. No "we fixed it", no explanation why it went wrong, no assurances as to what they're doing to prevent it from happening again (I thought that they fixed it last time), nor any compensation for the forums being offline for over half a week.

With all that and the BS my web host pulled last year (suspending my site without warning or notification) I've decided to move the site to a different web host.

But there's two things with that.

First, I'm not sure yet what host to move to. There are a [i:se0wtu8k]lot[/i:se0wtu8k] of them out there and no guarantees that the next one will be any better than the current one (and possibly even worse). I've tried looking for reviews, but that's a futile endeavor as most of the 'reviews' seem to be little more than paid adverts (one of the main top-'reviewed' sites actually falls squarely in the "below average" range from reports I've read). I've got a list of candidates, but in the end it'll be a bit of a gamble no matter what. At least can always move again if a host turns out to be poor.

Secondly, it's going to take a while. In general it's easy enough to pick up a site and put it on another host and if push comes to shove I'll do just that. But when changing host I want to take the time to do it right. I've been itching to rebuild the website using a good CMS (instead of my hand-coded pages) and this seems to be the perfect opportunity for that. I'll still be using the same forum software, so nothing there will be lost; it's mostly the rest of the site that I'm talking about. It feels like I have time; my current hosting still lasts at least a few more months.

The domain name will remain the same. At least that's my full intention. It'll just point to the new web host when the time comes. There probably will be some disruptions I expect, but at that time I'll let you know well in advance. In the meantime know that I'm working on this and that improvements should, hopefully, come. With the (rumored) return of Eilistraee this summer the timing almost couldn't be better.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Irennan
Champion

Re: Forums Working Again

Post by Irennan »

Well, I don't want to sound weird, but I'll drop a thanks to you and anyone else who makes this site work. It helps keeping Eilistraee alive, and this has no little importance to me (yeah, it is strange to hold an imaginary concept this much, still...).
Last edited by Irennan on Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Rainbow Prism
Regular

Post by Rainbow Prism »

It is not strange.

Protecting something loved and favored is good. Remember Planescape. It is still supported by fans to this day. You may think that comparing setting to one element of it is not good example, but would Realms be fun if some elements never existed?
I do not say I support spite 4th edition gets though. Whatever they did, people worked on this for a long time. It is not something one pay check can satisfy.

Still, it is not so far from reality that this forum was one of bricks to create statement some men could not ignore anymore.
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

[quote:2kadjcn0]It is not strange.

Protecting something loved and favored is good. Remember Planescape. It is still supported by fans to this day. You may think that comparing setting to one element of it is not good example, but would Realms be fun if some elements never existed? [/quote:2kadjcn0]

Some people think otherwise when it comes to fantastical things, not that I care much though...

[quote:2kadjcn0]
I do not say I support spite 4th edition gets though. Whatever they did, people worked on this for a long time. It is not something one pay check can satisfy.

Still, it is not so far from reality that this forum was one of bricks to create statement some men could not ignore anymore.[/quote:2kadjcn0]

On this point I only partly agree with you. I do not follow the 4e Realms, however I read around that much effort has been put in them recently (novels, additional lore etc...) to improve and reintegrate what was lost. This is positive, of course.

However we have to consider that while 4e FR is the product of a considerable quantity of work, how it was in its early days, it basically destroyed much of what people built in many years by removing a lot of concepts with great potential from the setting (and adding nothing to take their place) and retconning the crap out of it, only for the sake of streamlining and simplifying (and the matter about the drow is just an example).

So it's a double sided problem. They need to reconcile the old with the new or the current Realms will continue to hold very little interest, at least to me.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Faediira
Maid
Maid

Post by Faediira »

I'm so seriously happy that the forums are up and running again and working properly i've been trying for months to register and found myself unable to register because the boxes were overlapping each other. But now (((does her happy dance))) i'm in and happy. :D
May the light of Eilistraee shine brightly in the face of evil!
Leema Har'gachi
Regular

Post by Leema Har'gachi »

thank the dark maiden that all that is finally over. I hated having to delete the browser history and cookies, just to login, it was a pain. On that note, welcome to the chosen faediira. :) I hope you enjoy it here.
CODENAME:Leema
Class:Variant Illusionist Favored Soul {gestalt}
Race:Shadow Drow
Height:5'8"
Weight:158 Ib.
Hair:Yellowish
Eyes:Purple(pinwheel)
Skin:Pitch-black(surrounded by Shadowy Purple Aura)
Deity:Eilistraee
DebraPAb
Maid
Maid

Forums Working Again

Post by DebraPAb »

Ok, getting there.
The downloads sections works now. and you cant browse to the above any more either

I also fixed the ranks in the forums, and the link tracking now works.
Slowly but surely Im getting everything back up.
Again, if theres any problems please let me know.
Thanks

-Ryandor
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

I regret to inform you that DebraPAb currently can no longer post.

The first post was a bit odd only because it was in OOC with new character concept. I could not rule that off topic, just a bot odd. Also planed to watch.

The second one about Baldur's Gate 3 did appear to be on topic, one thing that strike me odd was have to kill bandits. However never played the game might be true.
The other thing was url in sig (Now edited away ))

This post however makes no apparent sense unless claiming to be administrator or a hacker.

All that I have done can be reversed, however actions appeared to be justified.

High Priestess has final word.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

Seems valid to me. Silly bots.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee