The Cavern Tavern OOC

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

The Cavern Tavern OOC

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well it kinda of makes sense that a specific thread is started, so here it is.

I have a rough map idea for the site, rooms and so on. Based on past discussions and the dealing with defense of this location. Bandits from the surface clearly can be a problem hook horrors from the underdark sometimes even a greater problem.

Concept background: A tunnel leading into the Hills discovered which opens into a Cavern before again narrowing to a tunnel. A few people found the location next to trade routes that was readable defensible, two tunnels to defend if attacked by both sides at the same time with a few people. Over time the Cavern itself became a trading point, those that followed the rules were allowed to trade freely between surface and underdark. There however became at the same time that either surface or underdark might try to take full control of the cavern. As such those that first found the place and defended it recruited any, of any race, that would follow the founding concept. Each to share in the resulting profit, the concept that peace pays and must be defended.

For now my rough draft, that already needs work has a few buildings on the surface, a merchant and a stable, the common room, with the underdark stable next to it, guard points before any get near the stable or common room from either direction. A Smith, a bath and some place guest rooms, you might have to walk up or down a few stairs. Parts of the cavern have been sectioned off by either wood, stone or magic.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: The Cavern Tavern OOC

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well I see this thread is popular no relies to it.

Map design or even use of cavern space I think makes more sense to be flexible, rather then something like 20 X 30 common room. Instead it will be more like stairs and doors East/West/Up/Down/North/South and there is enough room.
Other thing I offer the concept of piped water to rooms, leaning toward gravity fed from lake from above, though other idea is a like that is on the surface at the base of the hill or mountain.
Agmasek
Maid
Maid

Post by Agmasek »

Short and sweet, the general background of Renji and Yonmei, is basically the same. However, since my acquisition of the Advanced Race Guide for Pathfinder (aka PFR), and getting involved in Pathfinder Society games, as well as campaigns that mingle D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder, I've elected to change these characters to something that better fits the ideal of what I wanted them to be from the start. On the bright side, this opens opportunities to me for some fun character plot twists, inspired by the only romance novel I ever liked, The Fox Woman, by Kij Johnson. Some of which might not have any basis in PFR, or D&D rules, but neither is there anything specifically stopping it short of a player's vested interest in protecting their characters from certain fates, or a GM objecting to any of it. Mostly harmless though, no more scandalous than a deep dragon, flirting with the guards.

In any case, if anyone wants more info about these modifications to the characters, in a later OOC thread, I will post race details for PFR Kitsune,
Agmasek (Shadow Dragon, Illusionist, Shadow Mage)
Alternative Characters: Yonmei and Renji Kitsuki (Kitsune Rogues [Pathfinder Advanced Race Guide]),
and their Grandfather, Shiru Kitsuki
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

The edits I made where just to clean up my typing errors, including that stupid orc not typing his name correctly. Orcs are not that good at typing after all.

As to ongoing business, clearly others can join the order the basic premise is loyalty to the order, mutual defense. In some ways a family. Those of the order share profit of the Cavern, likely complicated amounts based on what level of service they provide.

Those not of the order need coin. Of course bringing coin is simple, however there are ways to earn coin in the Cavern, some could work as "coin girls", others could hunt and provide food for which they would be paid, others clearly might engage in trade transactions, underdark goods for surface goods, etc.

I have not intention of trying to run an econemy, set prices or pay rates though it might come to that. Basically a pouch of coins would be exchanged, each player in some ways will need to decide when they might run out of coin to pay bills.
Ogrim
Maid
Maid

Post by Ogrim »

In case anyone is wondering, or curious:

The bond between Hunter and Farkas is a bit special, this is more than the bond of Ranger and Animal Companion. Since the outset of Hunter rejecting Yeenoghu, and following a nobler path that appealed to his personal sense of honor, and personal code of honor as a hunter, as a disciple of Kharash, he has been alienated from his own people, and considered an exile by some of them, as such he and Farkas, have become as if two brothers that are as closely bonded as two brothers can be, as if they are all that survives of their family. Brothers, packmates in a pack of two.

Early in this bond, they have faced occasions in which being apart nearly put one or the other in danger of losing the other. So, they have a promise to stay together no matter what happens, when danger even so much as hints that it [b:1hiabf2j]might[/b:1hiabf2j] be on its way. If they are to die in combat they will do it together.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Yes I am here, even started to write reply post about 36 hours ago, certain RL stresses makes it more likely replay posted at least 24 hours from now, though if things go badly it might be a day or two longer.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Ogrim appears to be missing for the month, one day to go.

I will wait the day and likely post Oct. 1st as a safety factor, with Hunter and Farkas getting the bath then retiring to room to rest and sleep.

It is my opinion that the others active should not be held to waiting another month until Ogrim posts or fails to. The time to start counting the days should start when Hunter wakes up.

That is play between the others will continue without waiting for a post from Ogrim.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well it clearly appears this play is not going well. As to the basic setup it can be continued by any that wants to play, however most that were in common room are currently napping, taking baths or other wise away from the common room.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well this play is still open even if the other players are currently sleeping. Come one come all.
Ogrim
Maid
Maid

Post by Ogrim »

Sorry for no posts in a long time, will try to get something fresh up soon. It's just, even I noticed the glue that held many of us together in the RP forum was starting to wear away. One by one people were leaving, and as people left, even if only temporarily, it left gaping voids in the RPs still in progress. Also, whenever someone left without explanation, or checking in once in awhile, it raised concerns. Disappearance of Talwyn, I understand, distressed Pheurazath for awhile. And then our dear Paladin, Veraka, seemed to also vanish without explanation.

I'm in touch with him via Facebook however, and been trying to nudge him back over this way, even if only to get him to drop in for a bit. Anyhow, yeah, people start leaving, a little at a time, and then it's like a domino effect, eventually we're left with only the most stubbornly loyal people, but even stubbornness and loyalty will only carry one so far, before they lose interest, or begin to forget to check in, and eventually forget that there was ever anything here. For me, it was very nearly just like that. Only thing that turned my eye back here, was when I started IM chatting with RA Salvatore. Nice guy, by the way, easy to talk to, not at all stuffy like some authors.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Yay, things might be picking up.

It should go with out say, however saying, that a reply will be delayed in case any other posts in the play.

Daisy could reply easy to Hunter, and clearly other characters have faded into the background. The basic premise though still is that other players and one other has looked in on us, that a wait be held for them. I will reply in a day or two to Hunter.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well, this might need to be bumped for ease of reference. There still no formal map and likely will never be one. The Tavern is near a surface trade route, currently not well known to the many. It was placed as possible location [quote:23agensg] Graypeck mountains might be a nice location.
Near the trade route between Llorkh and Morasha's Keep.[/quote:23agensg] The Order of the Cavern, one of these days we might come up with a better name. We defend each other in this place and we welcome all that come in peace. Those that do damage we respond in kind. A simple rule. Each are pledged of the order to defend all other members of the Order. Be it troll or even slime should either take the pledge. Betrayal of the Order of course has the same result as an attack on the order.

Characters I have named in the Tavern are:
Felothe, Female, Drow , Priestess of Eilistraee
Hinomi, Male, Drow, Wizard
Nyarg, Male, Orc, Fighter
Dorfgar, Male, Drawf, Fighter
Daisy, Female, Halfling, Rogue
Shyntra
Maid
Maid

Post by Shyntra »

Thank you so much, Bhaern! It helps a lot.

Nyarg is a bouncer, from what I gather?

Are you waiting on C'nor?
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Shyntra":y83rcyys]Thank you so much, Bhaern! It helps a lot.

Nyarg is a bouncer, from what I gather?

Are you waiting on C'nor?[/quote:y83rcyys]

Nyarg is a fighter guard, maybe something more , maybe not *S*

Yes I am waiting for C'nor. Part of the design of this play was to allow time for players to remain a part for some time and not be excluded from play. In some point C'nor's character can be inferred to have faded into the background should a post not be for coming.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

If C'nor does not post soon, will play past the character, after all not all need to answer a question.