Another social RP...

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Ogrim
Maid
Maid

Another social RP...

Post by Ogrim »

Since most of them are sort of stalled at the moment, waiting for someone or another to login and respond, who has not been online for an unusually long period of time, I am planning to start up another of these social RPs, such as is done with Inns and Taverns, however, in the interests of trying to keep it from falling into the same state of waiting months for someone to reply who has gotten their character too deeply involved in the RP to be skipped over, I will be asking those joining in, to be able to commit to posting at least once a month, or don't be the center of attention in any way.

The name for this RP is as yet, undecided, once I have had some sleep, perhaps I will come up with something clever. in the meantime, since my favorite, Silinrul, is still stuck in RP limbo until the Come Little Children plot is completed, I will be using Hunter, a gnoll turned good ranger, and a disciple of the Lupinal Champion, Kharash, as a visitor to an Eilistraee temple, be it an Underdark settlement, or above ground, I would like perhaps Bhaern, or if the RP may be so blessed, Shir'le to fill in those details while joining the play. In Underdark, he has no reputation, and on the surface, those that know him by reputation, mostly know only of a hooded ranger, accompanied by a golden celestial wolf.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: Another social RP...

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well it is an interesting idea. The House Quel is located near an Inn so I am familiar with that aspect of type of play.
Location really should depend on your goals, though a best compromise might be a cave that has a tunnel to the underdark and an Inn door to the surface. That way both humans and surface people can visit as easy as Drow or others of the underdark. A middle of either surface and underdark.
I do have at times a tendency to draw maps and offer design concepts so that should not be much a problem.

As for requiring everyone to post at least once a month, I am not sure that will work. A player could disappear for more then a month and not have time to let others know. Major computer failure, automobile accident being two possible reasons.

The only way to work around some characters disappearing would be having resident NPCs moving such people as having fallen to sleep or something like that in that they move or get moved t an Inn room. The resident NPCs of course would do basic things like cleaning the bar area, cooking food in kitchen, etc. In order to have the play have at least one post a month.
Ogrim
Maid
Maid

Post by Ogrim »

That sounds good, actually. I guess I was getting a little carried away there. Of course unexpected things that keep people away is one thing, I've just gotten frustrated with RPs that they start getting really good, and then almost all players suddenly stop posting, an become seemingly impossible to contact. And whenever they do come back on, make a single post on a thread, and then leave again for many months, they leave no word about what's keeping them away. Of course, I suppose, they aren't required to, but it's usually considered courteous to let someone know if they're going to be away for a long time, or whatever the circumstances are, so we're not all left hanging, wondering what's happening.

And the cave idea sounds good too.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Cavern Tavern ;) a place where all sorts of people meet. As the place has grown the place is actually an Inn as well as a bar and kitchen, its humble start. The tavern is staffed with Innkeeper, serving and chamber maids and because of its location and visitors that come at times healer, mage and a few warriors as well. While patrons might be allowed to harm each other the guard are there to protect the Inn staff and property.

Do you think that might work?

As for people who plan to be away or for some reason decide to leave clearly it would be polite to let the rest of us know.
Ogrim
Maid
Maid

Post by Ogrim »

Yes, I agree with both of these. This Cavern Tavern sounds fine, may or may not like the risk of fighting patrons. Hunter is still subject to some lingering old habits and prejudices of his race, but is a good guy, and would suck for him to have to defend himself from a 'good' character, that sees only a Gnoll, and not the other details. I might have to pull a 'divine intervention' card to spare any breaking of vows, and spilling of gnoll blood.

As for people letting know if they're leaving, or going to be away fro awhile, I realize, sometimes thing happen that may prevent this, unexpected, impossible to plan for, or see coming. However, by all means, if a long absence is known of in advance, dropping a line here would be GREATLY appreciated, and if in the event it happens without a chance to let us know, any opportunity that comes along, to get online and on this forum, it would still be appreciated, if a message was left, explaining the situation, and an estimate on when we can expect a return, if there is one.

True, their character can be moved by a NPC to a room, as though they had fallen asleep in one of the public areas of the tavern/inn, but it's nice to know if at all possible, if one should leave an opening for an eventually returning player to join in on something, or (though with much regret, as I tend to think of people on here as dear friends, in most cases) expect to not see them return in a long time, or ever.
Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Great! Now that that's all settled, who is starting the IC thread? My only delay to begin with will be the toss up, Pheurazath comes half-way topside, or Stahne sisters have a party at another tavern.
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Pheurazath":3r3em4uz]Great! Now that that's all settled, who is starting the IC thread? My only delay to begin with will be the toss up, Pheurazath comes half-way topside, or Stahne sisters have a party at another tavern.[/quote:3r3em4uz]

Well I defer to Ogrim as it is the one that wants to start it. As for an Inn like this I see no reason you could not have all of them visit, if not at the same time. Just as long as it is clear in play which character you are using.

What play I have done only a few actually had Bhaern as playing character, often I used other characters instead.
Ogrim
Maid
Maid

Post by Ogrim »

'Kay, I'll be posting soon, but at this moment, 5 am 14th of July, where I am, I just got back from work, had dinner, and now I must get some shut-eye... otherwise I'd start right now.

Though the location is your idea Bhaern, so perhaps you could either fill us in on here, where this tavern is situated, regionally, above and below ground? And above ground, is the cave entrance a mountainside thing, or other type of area.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well it could be anywhere, however looking at FR map, Graypeck mountains might be a nice location.
Near the trade route between Llorkh and Morasha's Keep.

I picture the Tavern being in the side of a mountain or at least a foot hill.

That the natural cavern has been enhanced over the years. There clearly is a surface entrance with perhaps a stable on the surface. The common area withing the tunnel a short distance, maybe 20 feet or less. As the place prospered. Rooms were carve out of the rock for some Inn rooms, however there was also construction on the face of the hill on the surface that could include the kitchen and Inn rooms with windows that take in day light.
On the tunnel that leads to the underdark, either part of the cavern has been carved out or sectioned off for stables for underdark mounts like lizards.
Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Any chance it's near Lith My'athar enough that someone who frequently explores the nearby caverns would have seen it, or that information of the whereabouts might be pried either by intimidation, inspiration, or coin, from Svirfnebli, kobolds, or any other Underdark-dwelling races?

Y'know, 'cause even young adult dragons need to have fun once in awhile. Instead of keeping up the illusion of being someone else, while fending off spider-loving annoyances trying to ruin their peace and quiet.
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Pheurazath":ayc4pso2]Any chance it's near Lith My'athar enough that someone who frequently explores the nearby caverns would have seen it, or that information of the whereabouts might be pried either by intimidation, inspiration, or coin, from Svirfnebli, kobolds, or any other Underdark-dwelling races?

Y'know, 'cause even young adult dragons need to have fun once in awhile. Instead of keeping up the illusion of being someone else, while fending off spider-loving annoyances trying to ruin their peace and quiet.[/quote:ayc4pso2]

I used this map http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/wd_ma ... rge_72.jpg to try to select a place in somewhere that was not that important. I did not try to match with underdark map and have no idea where Lith My'athar is, web search appears to indicate near Neverwinter. Travel for a Dragon should not be a problem, as to trade routes clearly there can be an underdark one that joins the surface one. A trade route because it is a trade route would be known to most merchants and travelers.

Clearly a different location could be selected, as well. Closer to Waterdeep or closer to the Dales.
Ogrim
Maid
Maid

Post by Ogrim »

Absolutely AWESOME Map, thanks for that link, downloaded a copy to my HD, because it's just that awesome. Hope you don't mind a simple straightforward name for the RP thread, I'm not feeling particularly inspired to come up with something clever. So, without further ado, I give you..... RP! Let's hope it survives this time. *knocks on wood, tosses salt over shoulder, and crosses fingers*
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Well building. So far have 5 there as staff,

The Drow couple take care of Cleric and Wizard nicely, the orc and Drawf clearly can be guards, the halfling a serving maid.
Additional the Dwarf can be a smith, not sure if I want human, kobold, etc. Inn Keeper however clearly the staff are mixed races.
Ogrim
Maid
Maid

Post by Ogrim »

Ahhh, goody, elves and dwarves, two races with typically stronger prejudices against gnolls than even humans. This should be interesting.
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Wait until I come up with something like a Troll Shawoman as cook *EG*

For now have not decided on other NPCs, of course others can offer ideas or NPCs.

Right now I went and named all I used so far.

Felothe, Female, Drow , Priestess of Eilistraee
Hinomi, Male, Drow, Wizard
Nyarg, Male, Orc, Fighter
Dorfgar, Male, Drawf, Fighter
Daisy, Female, Halfling, Rogue

Each of these clearly have some skills of course. Clearly from a security stand point more guards are required, two are not enough, as already indicated did not decide of cook or innkeeper, clearly a few more servers then one would likely be required, Daisy can not do it all. *G*