Neverwinter Delayed

This is the place where the leaders of the Chosen post news. News about the Chosen, news about drow/Eilistraee, news about NWN/NWN2 and news generally considered interesting to us. This is also the place where you can comment on those news items. :rss:

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Irennan
Champion

Re: Neverwinter Delayed

Post by Irennan »

[quote:2so2mhss]The good news however, is that they are doing a playtest of the "D&D Next" prototype/beta version (or whatever you like to call it) and it has a lot of the feel of older editions. Also, there were several Announcements made at Gen-Con to try to fix what 4th ed "broke" in regards to the FR, so I am hopeful. Don't know how this will affect the Neverwinter game, but.... *shrugs* Also note- ALL EDITION SUPPORT! (IE- bringing back dead gods, fixing problems from Spellplague and other RSE messes, removing that Abeir nonsense, etc...)[/quote:2so2mhss]

At this point, I'm not sure whether all they told us about the Realms is just BS or not. It is when it comes to drow, since they -once again- definitely appear to not be giving a crap about what their potential customers (and even their own authors) might want to see: they said to have ZERO interest in drow stuff which isn't based on Lolth (and don't tell me that it is based on the fact that it doesn't sell well, because it is not true and because they didn't even test it in these 5 years and can't know). Such a cool move there, really...

Meh, honestly this is just the same, tiresome, old story and I should have expected it.
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

Irennen, try not to be so negative, or cynical. I fully believet hey realize they made a huge mistake with fourth, and are working on how best to repair the damage. My biggest clue so far is that Ed himself (and he CREATED Eilistraee AND Vaerhaun) is now back at the helm of FR. Whatever else they have or have not done yet (and we have two years before we will even know anything officially about what gets brought back) THIS is a clear indicator that they are doing something new/different. I've already seen two playtest packets, and I like most of what I'm seeing- and it's not even got all the bugs worked out yet! I've also seen excerpts from the "Elminster's Forgotton Realms" book, and it's not only beautiful, but has plenty of the Realms-feel we've grown to love. If their new direction is anything like that (and with him in charge, along with RAS, DeBie, and Byers working on the desidn team, I feel it WILL be), then we've little to worry about. They already stated FOR CERTAIN that ALL the gods will return (in one form or another, though we don't yet know how). So how can you still consider it the same old song and dance? I'm mystified how you've ignored all the road signs for "HEY, we F**KED, and we're FIXING IT!!" that they've been putting up.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Irennan
Champion

Post by Irennan »

Well I try to not be negative or cynical, but whenever my hopes get up, I'll end up reading some bad news. Recently Brian James said (on the CK forums) that WotC has ZERO interest in drow stuff which isn't Lolth-centric: couple this with what we saw before and you get where I come from. Maybe the Realms will actually be reborn after the Sundering and with Ed at the helm, but it doesn't look like the same will happen for the realmsian drow. Why? Dunno, but if this is true, it'll be enough to make me ignore whatever thing WotC will ever produce -even good realmslore- not much because of how they wasted some of my favourite characters, but because of their (repeated) attitude towards customers (which is definitely idiotic for any company, when it comes to this specific matter).
Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

As I understand it, the big push with drow right now is the Rise of the Underdark campaign/story arc, which is naturally centered on Lolth. But what they are interested in AT THIS TIME may not be the same (and probably won't) two years from now when 5th/Next comes out. I understand where you're coming from, but from what I've seen on their site recently, it appears their focus is on finishing up the current event, so they can get started working on the Sundering and the advent of 5th. Actually, ANY news is good, since it allows us to see what they are planning and what direction they are headed- with the caveat being that the current direction may change at any time as new ideas get tossed in, designers decide what needs reworking, or WotC's priorities change. Further, various writers and designers on the team have already expressed their own desire to return various gods to the REalms (those two included) and since they are the ones working on it, I see no reason why that won't happen at some point. Remember that the new edition is still two years down the road, and just about anything can change between now and then.

Also, WotC is listening/checking out fan feedback, so they can learn what the fans want to see. This has been stated by Erik de Bie and others in CK, who are on the team or involved in the new edition. If they hear it loud enough, from enough fans there and on on other sites (maybe even this one?) they will listen. They've already told us that. So it's reall just a matter of time before we get what we want. For me, though, the simple and direct statement that ALL GODS WILL RETURN was enough. It doesn't matter so much to me how they do it; I'm content in the fact that they've already acknowledged it is happening. As for what gods end up being "featured" or whatever, that is less important to me. I won't mind not getting any novels on the twins, so long as there is at least mention of them somewhere. And we know there will be at least SOME mention of them in the new edition- if only to confirm their presence. But we've got a long wait to find out what the final result will be. But that's okay, because as a comic book fan, I don't mind waiting. I'm used to the anticipation of a new tale in the making.... 8)
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Kaote Bruchedaine
Maid
Maid

Post by Kaote Bruchedaine »

Some of you seem to fear the idea of Neverwinter ending up an MMO. What I fear has already come to pass. Perfect World has it. Take a look at some of the other games developed under the management of Perfect World. Take a look at what happened to the last game they inherited from others; Star Trek Online. Bottom line; expect a game with a HEAVY focus on grinding the same handful of quests for weeks on end to get items that will be replaced with more grinding next patch. And expect a heavy focus on pvp grinding with minimal actual content.
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Kaote Bruchedaine":1t2cwl7t]Some of you seem to fear the idea of Neverwinter ending up an MMO. What I fear has already come to pass. Perfect World has it. Take a look at some of the other games developed under the management of Perfect World. Take a look at what happened to the last game they inherited from others; Star Trek Online. Bottom line; expect a game with a HEAVY focus on grinding the same handful of quests for weeks on end to get items that will be replaced with more grinding next patch. And expect a heavy focus on pvp grinding with minimal actual content.[/quote:1t2cwl7t]
I don't really fear that to be honest. In that sense I've got a very simple view on things: if I'm not enjoying it I move to something else (that I do enjoy). If Neverwinter goes the route you describe then that's really their loss, not mine.

I do feel regret, however. Regret that this new Neverwinter simply doesn't seem to get and have abandoned what made BioWare's Neverwinter Nights so good and so popular in the first place.

And I keep hoping that one day a new game (with modern graphics and improved interface) will come to replicate NWN's strengths. Neverwinter, however, isn't it.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee