Vale of Shadows part 7

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

Idly counting the languages in his head that he could remember that was of the region of the ancient past he shook his head observing the scene silently. He knew better than to blindly test such things, even if it was for the sake of expanding knowledge and magic. Oh the wicked thoughts of saying.. why not have someone just knock it over and begin digging.. But he knew ancient ones and their paranoid magics too well. You could dig to the center of the world and not find the route to where you wished even if you literally went through it. Watching them he motioned" Could try draconic, drow or elven tongues.. An ancient civilization would not use common tongue.. it would be too easy and simple, but I would be amused if they did suspecting no one would use common for that reason." Shrugging he'd observe and watch studying the scene before deciding a course of action. He knew better than to make foolish risks. Let others do that.
Site, story being redone
Stats added story still in works

http://dragcave.net/user/Zekafae (click please?)

Twilight vampires are the vampire equivalent of Pluto...
Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Post by Inriiaynrae Jaelre »

((yay, more folks back! wanting to let virgil answer if he knew the ancient language or someone to try it...))

Inriia looked to Zek, "i was along the same lines. who would be foolish enough to think the rivvil tongue. then it occurred, few would try it. I dont think they would use our language. and highly doubt elven. we need something even older." her fingers touching but not pressing. "see the scripts, they are slightly differing from most. even some letters are almost completely different. older forms of the language family."

the cleric looked over to the two wanting to eat the camels, "by all means, eat theirs for all i care. leave mine be."
his camel was rather distinguished, its tack (gear) more fancy and showing his status in the Bedine.
Main character: Inriiaynrae
Second Character: Ariali
Antagonist: Alya
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

Nodding to her he moved closer not touching it either before nodding." They are, it's probably a much older form." Looking to the bedine then the two who wanted to eat the camel he shook his head" Lets not be so discriminate about the camels. If they eat ours, and if we're stuck out here long enough, guess who's camel is left?"

He left it there, he had no qualms on teaching another a lesson of humility.
Site, story being redone

Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

Re: Vale of Shadows part 7

the cleric looked at Zek, but remained silent. He was not gunna speak more of it. It was hard enough tryin to remain calm and patient as it was, But knowing he had to get there. walking over to the obolisk and knelt down to study each script. the drowess was correct, whatever language, it had to be an older form. His tongue, was a newer dialect of the older version, but he doubted those who place the block would have spoken it.
"what is the Netherse (or however its spelled) words for each element?" the bedine cleric asked.
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

Folding his arms over his chest looking at the script silently for a long moment. Shaking his head he rummaged through a bag of his pulling out a small bundle of parchment. He was going on a hunch, a damn good hunch at that. He was looking for the words he wanted, and then found them." Ahhh... here we go... ixen, pab, edar, suaco fire, water, earth, wind respectively... Years studying magic and being a ranger would pay off... Magic uses draconic in some form or another... clearly this is magic so it would make sense... such an ancient people would have words close to the core language.." Putting the bundle back in the bag." I'm fairly rusty, but I'm certain draconic's the route to go... perhaps you know the newer forms of the words. If we're to recite the full verse either our friends here do it, or it'll take a little bit of time to work the words out. Even then... pronounciation of those words... maybe difficult to nail.. down."
Site, story being redone

Pheurazath
Regular

Post by Pheurazath »

Virgil ponders before answering, perhaps ponders too long, as many of his answers and thoughts are spoken before he's drawn the breath to speak them, but then does concur, "From what I recall of the few texts there are, and that I have been fortunate enough to read, documenting the ruins and culture of Netheril, it was a civilization strongly focused around magic, primarily the arcane sort. So it would stand to reason, that much like now, the wizards of olde used Draconic in their magical arts, perhaps even more so than now. IF we are to believe the lore of the Dragon Fall war, the first reasoning sentient beings in the Prime Material, with magic, were dragons, even before primitive elves began to develop magical potential. As for speaking Netherese? To best of my knowledge, the language hasn't been spoken for centuries. So unless it is Draconic..." he pauses to glance aside to the two Redspawn, an obvious silent suggestion they would be the most fluent, since it's their primary language, then finishes, "... the only way I know to dig up centuries old extinct languages, is to ask a being that's just as old, or older still. Since Baatezu and I don't get on very well, I know of only one being older than all the Tanar'ri that is not an enemy of my errr... 'owner'." Delicate that last part, as he tries to not unsettle paladin and cleric unnecessarily. There is, after all, no easy way to admit to being cursed, and claimed property of Abyssal Royalty, without upsetting such people, and the common rabble.

A pause he gives, bracing himself for the possibility of having to make that deal for information, then shrugs and steps away from this puzzle, idly wondering if one of his higher tier Invocations couldn't be used to just break through.
Primary (Pheurazath AKA Kalkyril Ilindl)
Secondary (Virgil Stahne -- A repentant Warlock)
Other Secondary (Skrach -- A rogue, a rat, touched by the best)
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

There was more of a brief chuckle that came from him at the mention of being the 'property' of infernal nobility"Think of it like this... you're blessed compared to some. As there is always a more foul fate and situation to be in. Death is one of the worst as you're at the mercy of everything.. though to some that's just an inconvenience."
Site, story being redone

Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

the cleric looks to the dragon beings, a hand at the obolisk an invitation to try.

"try it then," Inriia speaks up to whoever, "I am not as fluent with the language, and I would not be sure of the more ancient version," her hand also ready to push the correct code when given the right letters/scripts.

((lets just assume it all works and whoever want to take credit for the correct code can say they punched it in or what not.))

the Obolisk did not zap (whoever). Instead it groaned, the magical energy gathering. Then unexpectedly, it moved to the left. and below was an opening to a passage way below. The cleric threw his hand up in triumph that this hurdle had been overcome.
then he cleared his throat and straightened out his robe.
"All that is needed now is to get me to the gate and I shall pay your fee and yall will be on your way."
He knew there would be a number of tunnels and dangers, hince why they hired the three, and with luck two of those had been creatures of the darkness (drow). the cleric expected some troubles. to not, would be foolish.
"alight, my 'eyes' need to go first," implying those who could see in darkness go, "watch your magic. there are some wild magic zones and one major dead magic zone down here. and being where we are, no telling what manor of beings will be down here."
or else he wouldnt needed the darkvision seers as much.

when they stepped in, a feeling of strangeness washed over them.
Grahl
Maid
Maid

Post by Grahl »

(Hope you don't mind Inriia, but throwing in my own twist to solving the puzzle, lots of non-dragons may know Draconic written in Common phonics, but less common-place I think would be those who can read actual draconic characters.)

While Nixue is left grumbling over how maybe he should offer to cook the ranger instead of the camels, Naien glares at Virgil, a mix of ire and feigned ignorance of what the Warlock could possibly be getting at, then a huff of irritation and she strolls forward, studying over the many different glyphs for a moment, mulling over them carefully. After a time she discerns and presses upon what ultimately turns out to be the desired sequence to unlock the doorway, but using words scribed in actual draconic characters,[color=#800000:ype4o52t] "If these, Netherese, were versed in old draconic, they would have had to have known how to read it as written by a dragon."[/color:ype4o52t]

An annoyed glare shoots to the human cleric soon after he mentions wild magic, and and anti-magic zones, [color=#800000:ype4o52t]"Hope you packed a lot of non-magical healing supplies, human." [/color:ype4o52t]That hope is voiced indeed, in a tone that is as much genuine fear as unspoken threat. Sure the Drow may get to go ahead, maybe even the paladin and his lovely lady, but leaving the Firebelcher at the entrance, Nixue and Naien, side-by-side still go ahead of this human cleric, having their own Darkvision, and both readying their Masterwork Heavy Maces. If they couldn't safely use magic, hopefully some high quality blunt weapons would be enough. To Veraka she asks, [color=#800000:ype4o52t]"How's your faith, paladin? You pray often? I hear that while most magic is useless where magic is either absent or unstable, those of strong faith can sometimes garner small magical blessings from their god, without risk of them backfiring. We'll be praying for ourselves, and you, you do the same, perhaps Bahamut and Tiamat can put away their differences to get both of their respective servants out this alive."[/color:ype4o52t]
:evillol:
Red Dragon: See how the elf writhes as it burns, Little Naien?
Young Naien: Oooooh! So beautiful, can I burn one?! PLEASSSSE?!
Zekafae
Champion

Post by Zekafae »

(It would make sense, dragons would know the purest form of their language. I was ironically looking at my faerun book earlier.)

Shaking his head over the grumbling he couldn't help but to smile faintly. He'd have to pay a visit to the old mage and brush up on lessons. Or hunt down his family and extract that information however he had too. Preferably with little work, it was blood and family and house still held a core value to him. Even after all these years. Listening to Naien he nodded." Gods are kind enough to have us blessed by a couple." He replied in a surprising tone of compliment. He had nothing against dragons, he really didn't. He had a job and he did it, over the years he developed his own sense of justice. Where he stood with the two Deities of dragons only they knew. He really was not one to have a full alliegance to gods. Not since he came to the surface. When they Could go below the surface he paused a moment as soon as he was nearing the darkness. It wasn't fear of the underdark, it was the fact he knew this was not going to go well. Ancient civilizations held ancient secrets... the sands always held secrets... and to employ drow and a warlock with dragons in tow... gods. He could feel something was tangible down here... and it wasn't the dragons. The talk of gods almost made him wish he made a pact and convenant with one. Almost. Drawing his stronger blade he muttered to his familiar" keep your eyes open... this is not going to be easy" Her eyes went wide as saucers. Looking to the two" We'll need more than just prayers... We get through this alive and they somehow help us I'll personally pay tithing of some magical item or gold to the Dark Queen Bahamut and The great one himself... Least I could do for an old mentor and friend of mine." Muttering" Who I am definitely seeking out after this is over."
Site, story being redone

Inriiaynrae Jaelre
Lord||Lady

((grahl, no problem, that works well actually.))

Inriia not fearing, but of course she was cautious, entered, quietly down the narrow steps from the newly revealed passage. The cleric, still staring at the post was granted an urge to listen to the obolisk. a sound of a clicking clock was heard. Looking back to his notes then to the object.
"um we might want to hurry, i think this has a time limit of being open."
which was the case. for the last person thru just barely made it in, before the stone above slide back over to cover the opening and sealing it again. clicking and locking echoed down the three tunnels before them. the group themselves stood in a round cavern room, 10 feet diameter. the 3 tunnels event spaced around. Inriia looked down each, searching for traps and/or possible markings. they people who built this had to leave a way to know where they wanted to go or else had some system to figure it out. at least thats what she reasoned.

the bedine could not see, his human eyes not made for the pitch blackness of underground. He was tempted to light a torch. but with most everyone able to see, it would be a bigger hinderance and possibly dangerous.
tapping the nearest person, "well," he whispered, "what do you see?"