Karazan - the new city

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

A reported is submitted to the Council:

The House Wizard Shyntdar of Helviiryn has reported the completion of a earthern ditch and rampart wall at the end of 12 weeks. Since the settlement has already some natural advantages in defence due to its location, Shyntdar has decided that we use those to our advantage. The hamlet is in a natural bend so our rear is covered thus a simple 3 sided wall will be an effective way to set our initial defences.
Shyntdar can excavate through DIG 6125 cubic feet of dirt sand mud a day [ area effect = 7 x5cube= 875 = duration = 7 rnds = 875x7= 6125 c3 per day] . Working a 6 day week he can DIG 36750 c3 of earth which will be enough to build the following wall:
[color=white:1qlceb5j]o ooooooo[/color:1qlceb5j]oooooooooooooooooo
[color=white:1qlceb5j]oooooooo[/color:1qlceb5j] [b:1qlceb5j] //[/b:1qlceb5j]
[color=white:1qlceb5j]ooooooo[/color:1qlceb5j] [b:1qlceb5j] //[/b:1qlceb5j]
------------X
[color=white:1qlceb5j]ooooooo[/color:1qlceb5j] [b:1qlceb5j]||[/b:1qlceb5j]
[color=white:1qlceb5j]ooooooo[/color:1qlceb5j] [b:1qlceb5j]||[/b:1qlceb5j]
------------X
[color=white:1qlceb5j]ooooooo[/color:1qlceb5j] [b:1qlceb5j]\\[/b:1qlceb5j]
[color=white:1qlceb5j]oooooooo[/color:1qlceb5j] [b:1qlceb5j]\\[/b:1qlceb5j]
[color=white:1qlceb5j]o oooooo[/color:1qlceb5j]oooooooooooooooooo

KEY= o =water X =gate

The wall is 1200 feet in length, each section 400' long with two gateways at the aps of the wall joinings. An earthern ditch 15 foot deep by 20' wide with the earth piled on the inner side making a 15' high rampart makes up the total excavations and workings.
within 2 weeks of DIGGING, the dicth could be expanded further, made deeper and wider if necessary.
Main trenches and a resevoir, a sewage pond and sewer lines will have been completed by the end of 12 weeks of the spring. Until clay and stone are available these will be simple open air drains and lines and ponds. However, water will flow due to a simple diviersion cut at a high point in the river, bringing in enough flow constantly to flush the system into the drainage ponds. Over a 10 week period, 367500c3 of earth will be moved, dug, trenched etc to form the needed ponds, resevoirs, mains lines and sewers of the town.
The next project will be to eventually enclose the sewers allowing the roads to be paved and construct Aquaducts and Gravity water storage tanks.

At the reports of a band of Duergar approaching the settlement, I propose the following action be taken -

Firstly I will send out my best scout to determine if these Duergar are here to trade or to fight. My House Captain first observe them and if able, is to approach them and will pose as a simple traveller in order to infiltrate the approaching band to learn their intent.

He will report back immediately if he believes they are a threat.

I suggest we also ready our defences in any case as they will see that this settlement is not week and will make anyone thinking of aggression to us, to calculate the bill of blood that it will cost them to finish us.

Over the last 3 months House Helviiryn has made good progress. Our farms are doing well and our weavers are beginning to show profits for the labors.

However the critical factor will be increasing food production. We are sill not able to fully feed the population sustainably so more farms must be created.

Signed

Matron Helviiryn
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Matron T'risstree Helviiryn, Master Vielochar Auvryrahel, Talwyn and Matron Xun'arra Alean'rahel each receive a letter.

"From Karas Armgo,

To ...,

I offer greetings.

I invite you to meet with me, to discuss the reports of duergar, humans and drow. And also to plan for Summer. If you accept my invitation, then I will open a small portal for you in the Council Chambers, which will bring you to my house."
Bergeth'fryn
Regular

Post by Bergeth'fryn »

From Vielochar

To Karas,
"I accept your invitation."

Signed, Brotherhood of Silence.
Back home, we used to eat those things you call nightmares.
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

The second council of Karazan is convened. Karas speaks "I see we have a newcomer."
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

"Since the newcomer seems shy, perhaps we should address the matter of these wanderers that have appeared on our borders?"
zellak
Maid
Maid

Post by zellak »

Zellak looks around the room and then realises Karas was talking about him !

The wizard rises slowly , hoping that the others did not see his mistake.

Zellak is short for a human and is dressed like a farmer, in heavy woolen clothes together with a brown leather jerkin, he wears a well worn black floppy hat with a plume. He has long black hair and his beard has two grey lines evenly spaced on his chin. He has a ruddy complexion due to his outdoor lifestyle.

His voice is unexpectedly loud, after years of screaming commands over the noise of a warband of barbarian horsebowmen at the canter.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is Zellak. I am a simple soldier who has decided to settle down after years of campaigning. I am a battle wizard skilled in the art of war.
My forte is in leading cavalry squadrons in the van or wings.

My followers are mainly horse barbarians of the Mor-Kahn tribe,
they worship a little known war-god who grants no favours, and to whom i also now pay tribute...it was necessary in order to be accepted as part of the tribe." he adds with a smirk.

"I would like to put some of my followers to work in the building of this great venture. I have an armourer of some repute and three horsesoldiers who can turn their hands to most things.
Hunting would suit them best.

I see little use for a militia for such a small settlement, unless they are night watchmen.

I am interested in the black dwarrows that approach, i would guess they are traders, or a very optomistic siege train".

Zellak chuckles to himself over his joke...then stops when he sees no one else is finds it funny. And he sits down.
Bergeth'fryn
Regular

Post by Bergeth'fryn »

Vielochar stood and bowed the newcomer. "The potential for hostility abounds, especially, i believe, with the heavily armed Duergar. I have a simple proposal that may diffuse the entire situation. I say it would be wise to construct a few orcish arrows and shoot a couple of their horses, then say, a day later, a hunting party 'finds' their convoy and offers them assistance if only they promise not to be overly rude to the townsfolk," Vielochar looked to Talwyn, "I realize this course may not be the most morally desireable, however, i believe that if the initial raid is pulled off correctly then not only would we avoid possible conflict, but also befriend another group of people in this magical demi-plane."
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Karas looks around the table but doesn't say anything. He is probably waiting for the others to have their say.
zellak
Maid
Maid

Post by zellak »

zellak again stands and addresses the leader of the "Brotherhood of Silence."

"Might i interject.... are we to shoot arrows at all who come and trade with us ?"

" I'm sure they have not marched all the way here just to be rude, and then do no business and then tramp all the way back home with their wares."

zellak sits down.
Come and trade your D&D minis at http://www.ukroleplayers.com/forum/
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Karas smiles at Zellak's comment, "An astute observation."

[b:x0vaxn2m]Edit:[/b:x0vaxn2m] "We should also ask the question what does an orcish arrow look like and would the duergar recognise it as such?

"Surely a better policy would be to determine what they are and what they are after? Are there scout reports about these duergar?"
Bergeth'fryn
Regular

Post by Bergeth'fryn »

Vielochar bowed to the gathering, "I apologize if i seemed... overzealous. I merely believe that if it were to come to hostility that we, as a community would be better served by deflecting hostile attention and taking action to prevent others from coming at us in a direct fight." He looked to Karas, "An orcish arrow, milord, is rather crudely constructed, with little thought to anything other than a pointy tip, and while this does make it inaccurate, I believe that I, if not my fellows, could still make a kill shot from distance and stealth. Again, I merely wish to make the duergar come to us seeking help rather than loot."
zellak
Maid
Maid

Post by zellak »

Zellak rises and says, with a bow.

"There is no need to apologise, your tactics show guile and cunning. Useful traits in a soldier.

How would you assess the Duergar's military strength ?..................................if they should turn hostile."
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Karas frowns a little after hearing Vielochar's answer. "We do know orcs to be very warlike, and warlike cultures take pride in producing the tools of war very well. We should be wary of thinking that the orcs here are like those of Faerun. They came here, probably, because they were refugees, they were fleeing something. It could even be, like the blue goblins, they are outcast for being too intelligent."

Karas says this quietly to himself though.
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

"We don't know if the duergar approach with hostile intention," Karas says. "They may be well-armed because they are cautious and in new territory. My own feeling tells me that they are traders. It would make sense to encounter them in the open, before they know of the existence of Karazan.

"Master Vielochar makes a good point, when he suggests we not play an open hand, but maybe we can approach them not as scouts from a nearby settlement but as something else."
zellak
Maid
Maid

Post by zellak »

Zellak rises once more, and says.

" If the Council will permit, i would like to fly out on Firefang to meet these dwarrows . And guide them to Karazan, i am sure that if they are traders, they already know of us.

Hence they have loaded their wagons and now wish to trade with us ! "

He hesitates, giving time for his last comment to settle.

"Further more....if the Council agrees....should i assess after contact with the dwarrows , that they are not traders but marauders. I be given leave to destroy them, and all contents of the wagons shall be claimed by House Zellak as spoils of war."

He bows , sits down, and awaits the decision of the Council.