Karazan - the new city

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

oh gotcha ;)

I'll have to give this some thought first

<thinks> :angel:
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Two quick notes:

Karas' money globes. This is about the size of an egg, and can be coloured to your liking (e.g. a golden colour for the Golden Lions). Within it is a number that only the bearer can see; the number says how much credit or debt the bearer has. The globe is attuned to its bearer and also to a central stone (which is where the real balance is kept). This means that should the globe be destroyed, a replacement can be made. As the globe is attuned to is bearer, it means it can't be lost.

This also means you can trade in gold coins, but actual coins are changing hands. Instead the balance alters in your globe.

The other note is about Karas. You will note he will offer help when you make a suggestion. This is due to his calling a diviner. He doesn't wish to direct the town's growth, as that would interfere with his divinations (he may bore you with the reasons at some point).
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Posts like Talwyn's recent post (see below) in the game thread will help me work out what actions your PCs take. I can then work out the results, inform you by PM, and the next round can take place. :)

[quote="Talwyn Aureliano":2aby0j4s] I will send along the ships mate, Mr Basil Zemplis [Rogue 4], to accompany the hunting & scouting party."

"I will then committ 3 people to the task of securing lumber [2 COM 1 WAR] and I will personally lead the expidition to harvet the lumber."

"2 more of my men [2 WAR] will be dedicated to the militia leaving Mr Perspex and the rest to begin a new farm. This farm will focus on grain and fruit production."

"My people are totally committed to the endevours and will be unavailbe until summer for new duties."[/quote:2aby0j4s]
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

[quote="T'risstree Helviiryn":d2285p07]"My House wizard will aid in the construction of the earthern rampart and will be able to speed the process through the use of the DIG spell. Two other men will be allocated to that role. Once that is completed, he will be directed to draw up the plans for the sewers and road network for the settlement."[/quote:d2285p07]

Hi there,

I'm not sure what the DIG spell is. If you mean the [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/moveEarth.htm:d2285p07]Move Earth[/url:d2285p07] spell then you need an eleventh level wizard (WIZ 11). Sorry to be a rules lawyer. :(

Unless, of course, you can point me towards the DIG spell. :)
T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Dig is a 2E spell castable by a 7th lv mage <4th level spell>

Its been one of my favourites and when I play a drow mage, its always one I take.

It didn't make it into 3E sadly

From here - http://www.wizardmark.com/spellinv/view ... llName=Dig

[quote:2logd7ys]

DIG ( Evocation )

Level: 4
Range: 30 yds
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 4 Segment(s)
Duration: 1 rd./level
Area of Effect: 5 ft cube/level
Saving Throw: Special
Frequency: Common
Author: TSR
Book: PHB
Page: 199

Description: A dig spell enables the caster to excavate 125 cubic feet of earth, sand, or mud per round (i.e., a cubic hole 5 feet on a side). In later rounds the caster can expand an existing hole or start a new one. The material thrown from the excavation scatters evenly around the pit. If the wizard continues downward past 20 feet in earth, there is a 15% chance that the pit collapses. This check is made for every 5 feet dug beyond 20 feet. Sand tends to collapse after 10 feet, mud fills in and collapses after 5 feet, and quicksand fills in as rapidly as it is dug.
Any creature at the edge (within 1 foot) of a pit must roll a successful Dexterity check or fall into the hole. Creatures moving rapidly toward a pit dug immediately before them must roll a saving throw vs. spell to avoid falling in. Any creature in a pit being excavated can climb out at a rate decided by the DM. A creature caught in a collapsing pit must roll a saving throw vs. death to avoid being buried; it escapes the pit if successful. Tunneling is possible with this spell as long as there is space available for the material removed. Chances for collapse are doubled and the safe tunneling distance is half of the safe excavation depth, unless such construction is most carefully braced and supported.
The spell is also effective against creatures of earth and rock, particularly clay golems and those from the Elemental Plane of Earth. When cast upon such a creature, it suffers 4d6 points of damage. A successful saving throw vs. spell reduces this damage to half.
To activate the spell, the spellcaster needs a miniature shovel and tiny bucket and must continue to hold them while each pit is excavated. These items disappear at the conclusion of the spell.[/quote:2logd7ys]

This is a fabulous site btw

http://www.wizardmark.com/spellinv/spells.asp
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Thanks for the link. :)

It seems to me the only difference between [i:149duo3m]Dig[/i:149duo3m] and [i:149duo3m]Move Earth[/i:149duo3m] is the quantity of material moved. Although as a general rule, I'll be using 3rd Edn I'm happy to accommodate other things too. So your wizard can cast Dig. :)
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

It looks like we're reaching the end of this council meeting.

I will PM you all today about your actions.

With each PM, I will give you a Discontent score, which is related to how many in your households you can feed. The higher your discontent score the more grumbles there'll be in your household. This is more of a problem in the traditional drow House, of course.

I will also give you a Disease chance score, this is related to the number of people in your household who are not eating enough. The higher the disease chance, the more likely a disease will break out. Of course, with clerics (and others who have healing magic) this can be corrected.

With disease and discontent, these are factors that I'm not going to make too big a deal of yet.

The way I have set it up, is that in the new few seasons, your farms will increase in number. Currently it's about 6 workers/farm. This equates to a couple and their grown-up children. These children will set up their own farms later this year.

Finally, I will tell you how much your craftsmen have made in terms of money.

I'm really enjoying the game. All of you are making it a great game. It's great to see how each of you are acting, there's some fun game-play occurring, both on and under the surface. And I know there'll be some interesting events happening in the coming seasons.
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

OK, PMs sent. Our post a small account of Spring in the game thread later.

I hope everything that I've communicated to you in the PMs is OK. If not, let me know. :)
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Ordering your households

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Last season, I organised your households, but I'd like to hand that over to you - although I had a lot of fun doing it, I think you would probabl have as much fun too. :)

As a rough guide, three to four adults can run a farm. Commoners are best suited to farming, but I have also included an expert for you. This expert fixes and makes the essentials needed for farming, e.g. tools, wagons and wheels. Currently, there aren't any children in Karazan; but you can be sure your citizens are working on solving that problem. If any in your household fall pregnant, please let me know - the conditions of Valdrheim will have an influence.
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Bergeth'fryn - I'll wait for replies from the PCs of T'risstree, Arya and Talwyn then we can get the round of events started.
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Everything OK?

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Hi T'risstree, Arya and Talwyn,

Is everything OK? It's been a week since you three updated the thread. I hope you are OK and just a bit busy.

Please let me know if there's something I can do for you game-wise, etc.
zellak
Maid
Maid

Zellak seeks an audience.

Post by zellak »

zellak 12th level wizard human male .age 52

Str 8
Int 16
Wis 14
Con 16
Dex 15
Cha 10

He is a short man 5' 4"

His dress is comfortable and non descript,except he wears a floppy hat with a brightly coloured feather red and yellow plume.
He rides his Nightmare Firefang and enjoys hawking , he keeps several birds of prey (" A man needs a hobby" being his favourite defence to his wifes gibes).

He was a mercenary Wizard /General , he knows only soldiering and has lived his life in the van of various armies.

He is a skilled cavalry officer. A firm believer in the advantages of mobility and raw firepower.

His wife Akordia is Drow (8th NPC), she is a freed slave , her tongue restored, her hair now long but the slave tattoo still visible on her forehead.

He has 8 loyal followers Firefang, Nuru his standard bearer, Harg his chief scout, Sergeant Boscog, Mulk the armourer and three servants ( for Zellak, Akordia and Firefang).

All are human. (except the Nightmare ;) )
Last edited by zellak on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zellak
Maid
Maid

Post by zellak »

Hi there, i dont have all that much experience with online RP and play an old version of D&D , so i'm not up to speed with a lot of the background. I have D&D 2E Drow of the Underdark, and have read the first three Drizzt books and one of Elaine Cunninghames novels.

I DM a Drow PnP homebrew campaign ,D&D BECMI rules (1983), where the characters are more dark elf than drow as they live in a city halfway up a mountain and raid the surrounding lands using Airships (powered by bound air elementals). The party are Vhaeraun rebels fighting against the Lolth clerics who run the city.

D&D the way we play it is very closely linked to fighting tabletop fantasy wargames. The stuff you find down dungeons is of most use when it helps you lead troops across the battlefield.

So enough about me.

i would like to join this game as zellak , the wizard.
He is "matter of fact" type character, very military and straight to the point. He has decided to settle down and build something worthwhile...rather than destroy things.
You can only siege and burn so many cities until it becomes a bit jaded. :devil:
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Don't worry too much about the background. The way I designed the game was to have it that everyone is in a setting that's unknown to them. The background can be Faerun.

The main thing with this game is that it revolves around the council meetings. Which lends itself well to the text format.

A number of things will happen behind the scenes (conducted by PM), which will allow your PC to have information he can reveal at the council at his choosing.

The game has been a bit quiet recently, Talwyn has been ill. I'm looking forward to it picking up again. :-)
T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Life has been just hell busy lately as semester is starting up at college which has just swamped me with extra work.

So I've not been able to take the time to post and concentrate on this RP at the moment, sorry :/

My time and availability here will become more regular in another week or so once things settle down and a routine gets put into place.

Don't worry, as the governator said, "I'll be back" ;)
clicky2cme