Karazan - the new city

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Karazan - the new city

Post by Kiaransalyn »

[OOC]

This is a campaign thread. Those wishing to join this roleplay please contact [url=profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1002:12tfr550]Kiaransalyn[/url:12tfr550] first or post in the [url=viewtopic.php?t=1812&postdays=0&postord ... 0:12tfr550]out of character thread[/url:12tfr550] to request permission. Any posts made by those who don't have permission from Kiaransalyn to join will be deleted. Thank you.

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le

[/OOC]

"Welcome to Karazan. My name is Karas Armgo. I am a wizard of considerable ability. My brothers and I created this place, this plane where you are now. Unfortunately, we chose to remove here at the same moment that Lolth finished her silence, Triel Baenre cast her "Miracle" and other events elsewhere happened, which meant that others were dragged to this plane as well as ourselves and our followers.

"As you can see, I am drow. This means nothing to me. It might not even mean anything to you either. If it does, I would advise you to forego any prejudices you might have about the drow.

"I am also male. That means nothing to me either.

"I will tell my story briefly. It may accord with yours, it may not.

"I was born in House Barrison Del Armgo, the second House of Menzoberranzan. I trained as a wizard, excelled as a wizard and gained a measure of contentment as an archmage.

"The goddess worshipped by many in Menzoberranzan was, or still is Lolth. For many years, she was all the Menzoberranyr knew. And then she fell silent.

"Those who needed her to answer their prayers grew desperate the longer the silence continued. Those who hated her, saw that a chance had come.

"But was that chance one directed to regime-change, the overthrow of the Matrons, or a chance to escape whilst the eyes of the Matrons were turned elsewhere?

"My brothers and I chose escape. We wanted a place to study our magic further. A place where we could do so alone and without interference.

"Our plan has been long in the making.

"This plane is a fertile land. Let me tell you somewhat about it: We call it 'Valdrheim". We have seasons, it snows in winter, and is warm in summer. The clouds never really break so the light is quite comfortable for those whose eyes prefer the darker places.

"It rains, a beautiful thing. There are mists, it is like the Light Above in Faerun but not as bright.

"As I said, the plane is fertile, if you care to work the land. There is game enough in the forests too.

"This settlement is called 'Karazan', if you forgive the vanity or the lack of imagination, I named it after myself. Karazan currently consists of you and your followers. I live some small distance away, but my residence is concealed, you will not find it.

"There is good land for your crops, the forest is nearby for timber and fuel. The river flows fresh and the water is sweet.

"This building is the Council Hall, I have built it for you. Here, you may wish to meet at the start of every season to discuss the direction of this little settlement. As your neighbour, I will also attend these meetings. I can answer some of your questions but may not answer all.

"I am completely ambivalent as to what decisions you make. I will not fight you, oppose you or coerce you. Most of the time, you will not notice I am here neither will you miss me.

"I have asked you here today because you seem to be the leaders of your small groups. It may be a good start if you introduce yourselves then we should perhaps discuss what actions you are going to take for this coming season, which is Spring."
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

The soft rustle of cloth is hidden beneath the clutter of jewelry clinking together as one of the seated members shifts in her chair.

Then slowly, she leans forward so that her face is visible to all, peaking through straight curtains of long white hair decorated with jewels and chains that keep it away from her face as it drops down to her lap, framing a face with the marveled and almost unreal beauty of a dark elf. Glittering amber irises stare out from under heavy eyelids as she smiles in greeting, the warmth that her smile should convey vanishing before it reaches her eyes, cold as stone.

"Greetings, ladies, gentlemen." The voice is not what one would expect from her, the high girlish pitch at odds with her demeanor and appearance. She nods at each across the room as her gaze sweeps past everyone attending the meeting.

"First, we would like to thank you and your brothers for your wonderful hospitality. I am known as Xun'arra. My house was rather large once; we were located within the webbed city of Ched Nasad. By Llolth's grace, I and some of my family were able to escape unscathed. We were traveling in the Underdark when we happened to chance upon this portal that led us to where we are now."

"Thankfully, and with great help from the creator of this ... plane, I - as many of you have, I am sure - have created under my name a House."

Xun'arra settles back in her chair, crossing her legs and folding her arms across her chest. "House Alean'rahel and her members welcome friendship and allies, if any other house wishes to extend their hand in friendship."
This --->Image<--- is NOT a request.

Your hair is pretty like a tree.
Bergeth'fryn
Regular

Post by Bergeth'fryn »

Up stood a drow male, about 5 feet tall, no more than one hundred and ten pounds. The reasonably tight leather armor he wore sounded not a creak in protest at the movement. " I am Vielochar Auvryrahel, I would wish greetings upon all the multiples of distinguished visitors, guests and hosts among the meeting. I present salutations and gratitude at our realm of survival here. This being said, my tale is sufficiently complete."
Back home, we used to eat those things you call nightmares.
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Karas Armgo inclines his head, acknowledging the first speaker.

"Welcome, Matron Xun'arra. I visited Ched Nasad when I was younger. A wondrous city, now ruined. Perhaps you can understand the sentiment that my brothers and I have concerning Valdrheim. A longing to build something permanent, something that endures yet something that delights in change.

"You are welcome here. As for the hospitality of my brothers, there is no need to thank them. They are not here, they are not your hosts. We speak, but they do not know you are here. Only I know, and I am not your host either. Just a neighbour who prefers his neighbours to not starve or start looking hungrily to his estate.

"Each of my brothers has his own estate and each lives some distance away. Each also has a small settlement that is growing near them. I am sure we will discuss these settlements at some point in the year, but not today."

Karas smiles, a calm open gesture.

He turns to the second speaker.

"Master Vielochar, you are also welcome here. I appreciate your taciturnity. But perhaps I may remark that the silent often have the best counsel to give."
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

The doorway to the council chamber opens and in strides a well built human male, 6'1" tall and clad in golden platemail armour. His head is bare of a helm and he looks around the chamber slowly, seemingly assesing the various members who are present with his piercing gaze. He is a strikingly handsome man with flashing sea green eyes and short cropped sandy blonde hair.

"My appolgies to you all, members of this esteemed council, for my late arrival . There were matters that required my urgent attention back at the tavern which delayed me from my appointment here. I am Talwyn Aureliano, knight-captain in service to Torm and now commander of the Tavern hearby known as The Golden Lion. We have just finished construction of our premises and are now open for trade and commerce." He bows his head momentarily in polite fashion to the members of the council then takes his seat.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

Post by T'risstree Helviiryn »

Matron T'risstree Helviiryn golden amber colored eyes glowed with quiet amusement as the human came in late to the meeting. She waited till he had sat down before she quietly rose up to address the council. The people gathered there saw a very fit, strong & busty Drow woman with a commanding presense dressed in black supple leathers begin to speak in a melodious voice.

"My thanks to you Karas Amago for calling us together for this first council meeting," she said with a soft smile. "Despite the most unusual ways in which the various groups have come to this place, we have found a place of saftey and shelter here and that is a great relief. My House had been in the city of Rilauven when we were under attack by...[b:2xwpv9bd][i:2xwpv9bd]insurgents[/i:2xwpv9bd][/b:2xwpv9bd] . Somehow during the battle, and I do not know what the cause was, we found ourselves here in this place. Thankfully we have had time to put our affairs in order and have begun to prosper."

She paused for a moment considering carefully her next words.

"You put out the question of how we are to procede for the coming spring? This is a good question, one of which I was asking myself recently. I am curious to ask the other members here if they had any thoughts on this matter?"
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Karas Armgo speaks after Matron T'risstree finishes. First, he addresses the large human, bidding him welcome and briefly repeating his opening statement so that Talwyn is fully appraised.

He then turns to the last speaker, "Matron T'risstree, I welcome you to these chambers.

"You have all begun construction of houses, homes and businesses. There is a good stock of seasoned timber. In time, one hopes that stone can be quarried, to make our buildings more permanent. Obviously, in order to quarry stone one needs workmen and one needs something to pay them with.

"Master Talwyn says that the Golden Lion tavern is open for trade and commerce. A tavern is an ideal place to discuss business, but there are some details of infrastructure that we need in place first. There are no breweries here or nearby. Perhaps, someone should plant barley as a first step in that direction.

"However, I would suggest that the first question Master Talwyn needs
to answer, and it is very pertinent that we all discuss it, is who will be the customers of the Golden Lion and what will they pay with?

"This plane is very new. Karazan is very new. My brothers and I have chosen not to interfere in either your activities or those of the others who have settled here. We will offer such help as we can give if asked. But the primary purpose for the four of us is our magic and our research.

"So let us discuss money, what are we going to use? Or shall we just barter?"
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

Xun'arra nods in turn to Vielochar and Talwyn, inclining her head a touch more respectfully in T'risstree's direction.

[quote:qauramv6]"So let us discuss money, what are we going to use? Or shall we just barter?" [/quote:qauramv6]

"I do believe barter is the best thing at the moment," Xun'arra shifts her hands, jewelry clinking at every move. "My house has less to no sufficient gold at the moment, and, I am sure the other houses find themselves in such a position. Barter, at least, until we are able to find sufficient mines with which to make a currency out of." she pauses, "But then, that is only my humble opinion," her grin indicates she thinks much more of it than she stated.

"Hmmm. Unless you, Master Talwyn, would have a better idea? It is your store after all, and your products."

"Forgive me, Karas," Xun'arra turns to him, "but you said 'magic and research', did you not? What research could this be, I wonder? If you are in need of help, my brother could surely aid you, he ... is interested in research, as, I assume, most wizards are."

"I am afraid we know little of the lay of the land, and therefore cannot promise complete aid for a brewery. You must understand that at the moment, we are only just barely feeding ourselves. Should spring yield promising results, however, by next year we may be able to offer more useful aid in that direction."

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

Talwyn raises his hand indicating he wishes to speak.

"Some very salient points have been raised. Firstly, in order for a tavern to prosper, it will require ale and spirits to sell. That requires a supply of grain and/or fruit for fermentation. Right now, we are just managing to feed ourselves with our own farms it seems. This means that any surplus should be stored in case of unforseen circumstances. As a stop gap meassure, I will be sending out some of my people to survey this realm for wild fruits, nuts and berries that can be easily harvested and turned into alcohol. This will probably be only a small yield but once stands of food cropping plants have been located, then they will be tended to and encouraged to flourish. In the meantime, we will be selling our cargo that came with us from the other world. It won't last long but it will be available for barter. In addition, I will be seeking to establish another farm as soon as possible in order to grow grain and hops for the production of ale. Fruits like apples and pears which can be made into cider will take a few years to establish orchards but none the less, we will endverour to raise seedlings in order to fill that niche."

Turning to Xun'arra,

"Yes it will be my store and products and The Golden Lion will be a place where [b:1ostlcsw]honest and good[/b:1ostlcsw] folk can do business in a safe and open atmosphere, where all deals and bargins are regulated and monitored for mutually beneficial outcomes."

He smiled at her with an amused look in his eyes, testing to see how she would react.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

Karas look to Talwyn, "The establishment of more farms seems sensible, and it is the proper season to do such as well. Currently, none of you are going hungry, as a consequence of my charity. But I am drow, and we are not noted for charity, moreover, the four of you strike me as not wishing to be beholden to anyone.

"These questions may seem mundane but consider the great opportunity that arises. The actions you take now could lead to the formation of a city that bears your stamp. The institutions of that city will have their birth in your decisions. In time you will become legends, maybe eventually myths then gods. Many cities revere their founders, Menzoberra, for example, has a city named after her. House Nasad gave its name to Ched Nasad. This city need not always be called Karazan.

"You are here at the beginning, this is a new realm. Fate brought you here. You may feel that the doings of farmers are beneath you, but a city needs several things to survive: water, food, building materials and purpose.

"Water we have. Food can be gained with some planning now. Timber is in good supply, hopefully, stone will not be far.

"But purpose, what will be the purpose of this place. Trade suggests Master Talwyn. And for that we need traders, products to exchange for the goods we need."

Karas pauses for a moment, then turns to address Xun'arra

"Matron Xun'arra, about my research. I am a diviner. As a drow you can not doubt appreciate the advantage of being able to read the threads of the present and divine the future they will weave.

"I have devoted myself to reading people, reading signs and and reading feelings. Naturally, I have divined the future of Karazan, but I can not tell you what that future will be. For to do so would be to change the future.

"My forecasts have some precision, but the situation here is so new that my current divination is far too vague.

"As regards your brother, I could use him, but I assume you want him back. Please do consider my wish for privacy. Moreover, if I took him into my service I would weaken your House just at the moment when you need everyone.

"You are, however, very welcome to make your request in the future. Things may well change, and I may lift the veil so that you all can see my residence.

"But let us return to the matter of shaping the destiny of Karazan."
T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

[color=red:3kd5nnmt]"But let us return to the matter of shaping the destiny of Karazan."[/color:3kd5nnmt]

"Yes, that sounds sensible. I approve of the human's idea of sending out foraging and scouting parties. In addition, hunters should be sent out too to hunt game to add to our food stocks. I will prepare a small party of suitable people to see to this task on a regular basis.
Once they have been successful, we will have something to trade, meat furs, feathers and bone and sinew for making various items. Animal fats can be rendered down to tallow for candles. House Helviiryn will start slowly in this area but I predict we will grow and expand as the city and its needs grow."

"The knight and yourself Karas have spoken of trade as a direction in which to take the settlement. I agree as trade always builds a strong monetary base in which a city can build upon. Yet we must find other settlements outside of ours or start new colonies where materials and resources can be sent back here in exchange. Are there any known settlements that we can establish contact with? "
L'''' ghefna i''''dol ulu doera natha wael zhah talinth dosstan mzild bekea taga byrren
clicky2cme
Kiaransalyn
Maid
Maid

Post by Kiaransalyn »

[color=red:1enhiyog]Are there any known settlements that we can establish contact with?[/color:1enhiyog]

"There are three that we know about. Each of my brothers founded a residence. Each particular to their needs and research.

"Edwas is an evoker, his residence is in the south. Dwassan is the name of the place that is growing near him.

"Nadal is a necromancer, his residence is in the north. Dallun is the name of the town that grows near him.

"Ballas, the transmuter has given his name to Bala, in the west.

"Each of us was at first astonished when such as you landed on our doorsteps. Yet it makes sense, magic brought you here, and you were attracted to magic. Our residences are powerful magical loci, it makes sense that magical travel would terminate near us.

"As to the nature of the three towns, villages might describe them better for the moment.

"Dallun is the largest, it is a decadent place, where the young live in constant revelry. Their every need catered for. Or so I am told. They are mostly humans there, although half-drow and drow live there too. The Dallunyr number over a 1,000.

"Dwassan is of a similar size to Karazan. The duergar form the majority.

"Bala has about 500 people. They are a mix of half-drow, half-elves and half-orcs.

"There is no need to insult your intelligence by saying why there should be a fifth settlement. I am sure you know why.

"As for travel to each town, I am not sure. Since our arrival, my brothers and I have not met in person. As mages there is no need. Therefore, I can not tell you how far it is to each town. Valdrheim is a large plane and it is growing.

"We suspect that orcs, orogs and others are here too, tribes that prefer a savage life to one of settlement."

Karas falls silent.
Bergeth'fryn
Regular

Post by Bergeth'fryn »

Vielochar smiled at the latest news. He cleared his throat and stood again, as fluid as if water itself. "Thus it seems, my talents and those of my kin may be of use after all. We can hunt animals, we are masters of the hunt. These orcs, orogs, you speak of, we can easily keep tabs on them, should it become an issue. Unfortunately my kin and I are not well acquainted with agriculture, as such I would appreciate if perhaps an advisor could be found to direct the farming efforts of our homestead. Indeed, it seems to me that mutual gain could be easily acquired by having a centralized control of the farming, that way we could easily get off to such a start as would allow for rapid growth of our food stores. I wish to make it known now however, that these are all mere suggestions, ideas, and the like. I have no practical experience in agricultural matters as I have previously stated."
Back home, we used to eat those things you call nightmares.
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

[color=indigo:7uwff66b]He smiled at her with an amused look in his eyes, testing to see how she would react.[/color:7uwff66b]

The wide smile on her face does not diminish, "Well then, I am sure we [i:7uwff66b]all[/i:7uwff66b] look forward to visiting your wonderful store. How can anyone possibly not trust such honest folk with whatever they sell us?"

Turning to Karas, she nods, "Of course, should we ever have the chance, I hope that we may be of service."

Adopting a more serious look on her face as one by one the other members begin to offer aid, Xun'arra rests her chin on her fingers, imagining the lay of the land that she had seen so far since her arrival.

"For the women of my house, sleeping and working in the same clothes will not do, and I offer up their services as well, for making clothes. For this reason, my farmers have offered to cut a small part of our farm and save it for cotton. Any animal skin," she nods at T'risstree and Vielochar, "you may have will be welcomed; we have enough to barter with, I'm sure. Hopefully with this we will be set until we are able to properly expand." she pauses for a moment, before adding, "We do have a few rolls of silk, as well. My brother can duplicate the silk for us; we will be able to make better cloth.

"My men are hardy," she adds, after a moment, "I believe they can aid this country by mining; they will be able to take care of themselves should any mishaps occur. The precious minerals we find here may be of use to any as trinkets, or, I am certain, everyday objects. I have spoken with one of my house members and he has offered to [i:7uwff66b]attempt[/i:7uwff66b] weapon making. Your swords cannot stay sharp forever. Give us time, and he will become fairly decent at it, I'm sure."

She pauses, "I may have spoken out of haste; at first, we will hold off making weapons; cutlery and small blades will have to do. As he gets better, so will your choices."

"Seeing as mining may prove to be a useful situation, I believe that my house will focus on mining for now, and those unable to help us mine or in the farm will take up the task of clothing this village."

"Also, I would like to ask Karas if there are any animals that can be domesticated for various purposes, and if any here would be willing to start their own farm of these animals."

T'risstree Helviiryn
Regular

T'risstree listened carefully as Karas spoke, her brow furrowing as he mentioned that there are scattered bands of Ogres and Orcs also within this realm.

"I would like to add to this meeting that House Helviiryn has a talented weaver within its ranks but lacks a loom and material to work with. She of course is also competent in using plant fibres like flax, hemp, reed-rushes to weave simple containers and mats. I will be instruction my scouts to locate any suitable plant material which can be used in this craft. I also off a reciprical service to you all in that if you provide raw material, we will pay you back in crafted products. Other fibres like wool will have to come from lifestock and to grow the flocks will take time but if any wild sheep or goats are found, we would be willing to trade for tehm."

She brushed back a loose tendril of her long silvery blonde hair over her ear.

"I am concerned though that there are reports of Ogres and Orcs in scattered bands roaming this realm. While we have not been attacked, I fear that it is only a question of when, not if we will be assaulted by these predatory monsters. I propose that a scouting party be sent out immediately to survey the area and to locate any threats that may be near this settlement. While I am not in favour of outright aggression, I believe it would be prudent to learn where potential dangers may attack from and to preapre to neutralise them if needs be. To that end I will offer support, if needed, to House Vielochar in their scouting efforts. In return, we will aid them with their farming needs. I also would suggest that Knight Captain Talwyn form a diplomatic delegation to make contact with the other settlements so as to establish relations with each territory."
clicky2cme