Emergence of the Barrthyrri

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Bergeth'fryn
Regular

Emergence of the Barrthyrri

Post by Bergeth'fryn »

Okay. I assume I am safe in saying that everyone knows the general idea of a shade in D&D? Well, the Barrthyrri are similiar but are "Shadow Elves" a group of elves who were pulled into the plane of shadow along with the shadovar. Instead of becoming a harcore magic using race they became somewhat of a race of half-shadow elementals, if that is the correct way to say it. THey have power of shadow, darkness, but are mostly a race of militant assassins. Um... can anyone help me develop stats for such a race?
Back home, we used to eat those things you call nightmares.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

Sounds interesting! You might try checking out the ghost elves that were in Dragon Magazine back when it was still a published book. Can't remember the issue number, but they were elves that could go ethereal as part of being from that plane. It might help you get started.
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Bergeth'fryn
Regular

Post by Bergeth'fryn »

okay. Thanks
Back home, we used to eat those things you call nightmares.
Moriquenti
Maid
Maid

Post by Moriquenti »

If you are going to develop a sub race like that you must think of many things like:

1) Alignment:
Good,Neutral or Evil...? I don't agree with the general DnD idea that any shadowlike creature should be evil (except off course undead).For me shadow is neutral.It's the other side of light but not like darkness.it needs light to form and in total darkness does not exist.you can think about that

2)Story:
Surface elves though they have among their ranks great spies and rogues don't adapt so often assassin tactics.What i want to say is that they must be created under some (divine or not) purpose.Do they follow a specific (elven or not) deity? Did they created as a cause of a magic experiment that went wrong? Where do they can be seen or found?

3)Abilities:
For sure the normal DEX bonus.But are they pleasant in the appearance so they can have a CHA bonus? Are they so fragile to have a CON penalty? A subrace like that for me can have a INT bonus but no CHA...think also about the level adjustment this race will have.+1,+2?

4)Resistances:
This race should have an amount of cold resistance or you can just that with any physical hit they make they can make a +1d6 point of damage.Accordingly you must have a hindrance...

5)Special Powers (Innate abilities etc)
Ethereal form? Move silently bonus? Blur spellike ability? Darkvison (How much)?They should see long, maybe longer than all other subraces in total darkness.Plane shift maybe (but only between Prime Material and shadow plane).Summon shadow with alignment like theirs (like the shadow dancer prestige class)

6)Relations with others

ps:For sure it's a very interesting idea.Good luck
Bereavest me of sleep, makest me wander under thy light...
veraka
Demigod

Post by veraka »

I can agree with Moriquenti on what to think of if you're going to develop a sub-race of elves, especially ones that have a bloodline tied to a different plane. Think of ways that would separate these 'planar' elves and their material plane dwelling cousins apart from each other.
Oh and one more thing. When coming up with their origin, or how they are born, you might want to conjure up an idea of a creature that's not purely shadow, but dwells on the shadow plane.