Memories Long Passed: Winter's Children

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Xaraphim
Maid
Maid

Memories Long Passed: Winter's Children

Post by Xaraphim »

Ancient, primal, proud and inscrutable: the Isola are all these things and more. Born from the first war of the gods, they are older than Death itself. It was, in fact, the winter elves who first took a life, giving Death a shape, a purpose.

Their history stretches back countless millennia, older than the memories of even the dragons themselves. Once they lorded over a myriad of worlds, each clan locked in an eternal bid for favor of Vannan, the first of the Isola, and their god-emperor.

All things must end.

A mere four hundred years ago, their empire suddenly crumbled. The Emperor was slain, and without the threat of his power looming over their heads, the Great Clans set upon one another in all-out bloodshed. Slaves revolted, brother slew brother, and the various enemies of Winter's Children saw this weakness...

Now the Great Clans are gone, and rare is the congregation of more than a dozen Isola. Most of them are scattered loners, each one following their own Long Road--the Isola version of the end times.

[b:1pnpjuoi]Physical description:[/b:1pnpjuoi] Isola stand slightly smaller than humans, with an average height of 5'6". They weigh on average 15-180 lbs. Their is no noticeable size difference in males or females.

Their skin and hair is bright white, matching the color of the snow. In areas of sunlight they seem almost to glow, and under moonlight they take on a ghostly, almost ethereal mien.

Their nails are pointed, and much harder than human nails. They possess small fangs--upper and lower.

Most Isola have vibrant red eyes.

[b:1pnpjuoi]Physiology:[/b:1pnpjuoi]
Winter elves are egg laying mammals. The female, once pregnant, carries the egg for about a month after which she passes it in a relatively painless process. The egg is then nurtured by priests, where it will continue to grow for another month. Roughly three months after this, the baby Isola hatches and is cared for by various means depending on the clan and local custom.

Their bones are black due to a high concentration of carbon and other trace minerals. Their skin is incredibly opaque, their veins aren't noticeable at all except where they are large enough to be seen (i.e. the hands, etc.).

[b:1pnpjuoi]Game statistics:[/b:1pnpjuoi]

+2 Str, +4 Con, -2 Cha: Winter elves are strong and notoriously durable. However, they are somewhat distant and aloof. Their primal nature is often unsettling to other creatures.

Cold subtype: Isola take no damage from cold, and take 50% damage from fire. There's a reason they are called winter elves.

Natural attacks: An Isola can make two claws and one bite in a round. Claws deal 1d4+1/2 the character's Strength modifier, the bite deals 1d6+Strength modifier.

Base speed is 40 feet.

Scent: Isola have a keen sense of smell. They can make out almost as much information with scent as a human can with sight. They can detect creatures within 30 feet, and get a general direction of a particular scent with a move action. See the Monster Manual for details.

Darksight: The shadows hold no secrets from the Isola. They can see perfectly in lightless conditions as well as broad daylight.

Keen senses: In addition to their sense of smell, Isola also have excellent visual and auditory acuity. +2 to Search, Spot and Listen checks.

Tireless: Isola gain a +4 on checks made to avoid fatigue, hold their breath, etc. This effect mimics the Endurance feat but does not overlap it (in other words, it stacks). Winter elven constitution is legendary; before they gained civilization they would often simply run their prey to exhaustion, much like wolves.

Immortal: Isola were brought into being before death was conceived. They take no negative penalties from aging and never die from old age. At four hundred years they are considered fully mature; every two hundred years thereafter they get a +1 to Int, Wis and Cha.

Level adjustment: +1. Isola are more powerful than other starting characters, and so have a level adjustment.
Last edited by Xaraphim on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

Interesting race. Homebrew, or found elsewhere?
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Xaraphim
Maid
Maid

Post by Xaraphim »

Just another denizen of my mind's deepest recesses. I made these guys back in AD&D 2nd ed. and I carried them over to 3.x.

Oh, they're also listed as the cold subtype. I should go ahead and put that in there real quick. :-[
Arya Baenre
Resident

Post by Arya Baenre »

Very interesting. I can't believe you came up with that on your own. :D
This --->Image<--- is NOT a request.

Your hair is pretty like a tree.