Infestation

Above all the Chosen are a roleplaying group, and this forum is the place to do just that. All posts are expected to be in character except when specifically noted otherwise. A few rules to keep it fun for everyone are posted within, please read them before posting. Otherwise we encourage everyone to participate. Please keep the out-of character discussions to the Out Of Character forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Rooky
Legend
Location: A spooky wood, with man-eating little giant space hampsters

Infestation

Post by Rooky »

Summer.
Sun's up high, the damned bird's are chirping, and you ended your final mission for this season at the local tavern eyeying the ladies.
That is until swords came in.

You couldn't catch fully what they were saying; steam was fuming from your ears, but what you did make out was a simple "Here are orders from the clergy;
We have received word that some smuggling caves in the south of the Sword Coast are filling up with Lolthites.
Apparently, the man who found them was attacked and got out with his head still attached, and now he's telling war stories at the taverns about them. Sooner or later someone will go look, and panic will rise up and we'll have a problem on our hands.

There's a portal here that will take you to Cloackwood. Make your way out, and to your southeast should be the caves. If you continue down the road, you'll find a small village. There's a hired hand we found. They're familiar with the surrounding terrain well, and the caves there. I'll give you the money before you leave to give to them. Return once more to the barracks for further instructions.

The rest is up to you;"

The guard left, taken back a bit by your expression, in silence, turning back once to see will you throw something at her.
With a sigh of exasparassion you rise up, pay your drink and go off to get prepared.
:3
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Post by Aylstra Illianniis »

Lotlthites. The word brings a shiver to the young dark elf. He had hoped never to lay eyes on her followers again. But what to do? He knows he cannot allow them to spread their vile faith to the surface world. He has worked too hard to leave that world behind to let it taint the lands above, where he has tried to make his home.
"Maiden be praised," he mutters, casting one last longing look at the tavern maid he had been eying. She had lovely chestnut hair, that reminded him of autumn leaves. One never sees such colors in the Underdark, he muses wistfully.
No hlep for it. Lothir knows it is his duty to discover what his hated kin ar up to in the caves. Goddess willing, he will show them why it is unwise to intrude on his new home. house E'terrin'dar's First Son will invite them to dance- and oh, but it will be a dance of death....
By the Dark Maiden''s grace do we meet. May she guide and protect us.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

A link to my tales, including my Marvel hero!:
http://mickeys-tavern.com/index.php?showforum=188
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

Post by Talwyn Aureliano »

[for this RP thread, I’m going to post in the 1st person format, since Rooky has set it up by describing the premise by using the indicator of “you” – I hope this doesn’t confuse people and it can be changed if requested :D]

I looked up from my platter of roast lamb rack as the rather rude guard delivered his message. Couldn’t the man see that I was eating? I quietly sighed and shrugged my shoulders and contemplated this latest crisis which required instant action. Strive to fight evil and support other goodly faiths are just a couple of Torm’s tenants but there are times when even the most devout paladin could wish for at least a few hours respite in which to savour a fine meal, drink a good bottle of wine and have a quiet doze under a shady tree.

The non descript guard must have sensed my world weariness from the mildly worried and apprehensive expression which crossed his bland face. So, a bunch of spider kissers have tunnelled up into some of the small hills that nestle within Cloakwood eh? Bloody annoying vermin, you destroy one nest of the buggers and before you’ve had chance to wipe the blood from your sword another mob spring up elsewhere. I swear that Lolth picked the symbol of the spider merely for image, like some silly teenage girl who gets fixated on dark dribbly candles and black clothes. Spider Queen my arse! More like Roachruler. I mean as it goes, a spider far more attractive than a cockroach hence the predominace of emptyheaded drow women who'd bought into Lolth's insensical drivel. They, the Lothites that is, breed faster than dammed roaches and scuttle out from the ground in swarms so therefore, I believe, my theory holds some weight. Mind you, I dare not mention this theory to my drow allies as I think they’d take some offence to this line of thought. Hmm...maybe not? Still, it pays to be diplomatic and not piss off the beautiful ladies who are exceptional swordswomen and dam handy with their clerical magic to boot.

I contemplated my congealing and cooling meal and sighed to myself. Bugger it I thought, I’ll take the plate with me and that bottle of Sembian red that I’ve barely had a sip out of. Dropping a few extra gold coins on the rough wooden table, I stood, drained the goblet of wine and collected the plate and bottle. The serving wench winked at me, seeing the overly generous tip I’d left her. I smiled politely as I left the tavern. I nestled the bottle in the crock of my arm I walked outside into the bright sunshine, contining to eat my food. I was already prepared to set off on this latest adventure as I’d not had time to unpack from the last one!

Gnawing the last of the bones and mopping up the rich gravy with some good brown bread, I looked around to see who else had decided to volunteer for this pest control mission. With a blessing from Tymora, we may end up with a few that won’t end up stabbing themselves in the foot when the steel starts to swing. I hope that at least a couple of competent priestesses avail themselves to this little shindig. Ahh those priestesses…dam fine women every one of them and to watch them dance is perhaps one of the greatest joys and privileges I’ve ever had. Such grace, such beauty and by Torm mighty thews, what fabulous legs! I constantly thank the day in which I was dispatched from Tantras to head to the westlands, specifically to aid the Eilsitraeen communities. I was sent to act as an intermediary with other human communities and leaders and dispell the false rumours of these drow being evil viscious killers.

It’s been a hard couple of years but well worth every sacrifice and deprivation I’ve endured. I know I’ve made a difference and despite their initial misgiving on having a human paladin of Torm hanging around, the goodly drow have welcomed me into their community as a trusted and valued ally and, Sharess be praised, more than just friendship has been my joy to experience. Over the last year a certain priestess had taken me into her arms...ahh...such nights...woohoo! Just thinking of those nights of fire bring a warm smile to my face. I swear by the golden lion that if I was not as buff and fit as I am, I'd have been left a hollow wreck of a man as such was the intensity that a drow woman can release when she is in the throes of passion. Their knowledge of the arts of pleasure is something that defies even the most livid imaginations and I would wager that priestesess of Sune could learn a trick or three from the Eilistraeen girls, make no mistake! I often wonder how Jhaelystra is doing as it's been a while since I last spoke with her. I pray that she is still alive and well and serving the goddess dutifully. I wonder if she thinks of me? heh...that's probably wishful in itself and the sort of mind set that young lovers engage in. Ahh well...it was good while it lasted.

I placed the empty plate on the rain barrel and glanced about once more. So far only one young drow lad has stepped up for the shindig.

[b:36yb1vfu]“Hail & well met lad. I assume you’re responding to the guards request for a few folks to go and stamp out the Lolthites then?” [/b:36yb1vfu]I asked the young drow with a friendly smile.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

He raises one thin white brow, a smirk on his lips, and nods. "Come to join the dance, then?" he says, with a slight bow to the human. Why is it, he wonders, that humans always feel the need to wear such heavy armor? It hinders movement, and chafes besides. Better simply not to get hit.
To each his own though, and though he's not overly fond of paladins and their stern, self-righteous ways, he's not about to complain about a possible ally. Friend would be far too strong a word at this point.
"Stamp out? Hmm. Good luck with that," he muses. Damn near impossible to do. Ever watch a spider's egg sack hatching? They scatter as soon as they emege, and one can never catch them all. There are always a few that manage to scitter off and breed more." He chuckles, and then turns to offer the human a hand. "Lothir, of no House worth mentioning," he says, with a warm smile.
"So, when do we leave? I was rather enjoying a good meal and the attention of that lovely chestnut headed wench back there, and I'd certainly prefer to get back to that with haste," he winks to the man, for he can see that the paladin had similar ideas.

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

“Lothir of qu'ellar naut ssran haska bauth eh? That’s definably a new one I hadn’t heard of. Most of the drow houses have fancy names like Barrison Del'Armigo or Fey-Branche but one that is called “not worth mentioning”…well that must be a very house special indeed,” I said as I shook his offered hand with a faint but cheeky grin. “You are right about not being able to stamp out all the little scuttlers that scatter when you over turn a nest but if you don’t try, they’ll only breed more profusely. Besides, doesn’t Lolth encourage regular cullings of her followers? In a twisted way, it would appear that our efforts to thin out her followers only serves her agenda.”

I paused and reflected on this insight for a moment. It did seem that indeed this would be something that the twisted and perverted goddess would no doubt come up with. Utterly insane yet manically brilliant as well.

“But I'm getting ahead of myself, my name is Talwyn, Tormtar of the order of the Golden Lions of Tantras and special envoy to the church of Eilistraee," I said with a small nod. "Anyway, we’re not here to discuss Lolth’s warped and convoluted schemes. In answer to your earlier question, yes I’m here to dance as you put it although at the moment it appears that we’re the only people showing up for the ball,” I said as I glanced about to see if there were any further volunteers who might come along on this raid. I returned my attention to Lothir.

“Here, why don’t we share this fine bottle of Sembian red and wait for some extra people to arrive. I see no point in just the two of us setting off to tackle a nest of Lolthites and further, it’d be a criminal shame to let this excellent vintage go to waste now that it’s been uncorked,” I added with a smile as I passed the bottle to Lothir. I leaned against the wall of the tavern and gazed out over the small village.

“I agree with you Lothir, I too would have rather relaxed this day but duty calls and service to duty is my watchword. Oh, by the way, speaking of comely bar wenches and this is just a friendly piece of advice so make of it what you will: be wary of bar wenches who smile too readily at any handsome face. Sailors often have a saying, “any port in a storm”. I’d wager good money that her harbour has seen an armada pass through if you get my drift?” I said with a quick wink.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

The rude interruption ending the playing of the harp, wonders why the sword is walking into inns warning that others would be spreading the same tale a concern. With a bit of a sigh the harp is placed awy and he steps to join the few that have already gathered.

"If one is going to a dance, they should have some music to dance to"

Of light build which offers a hint of Elven heritage, the figure presenting himself wears a blue cloak, though the hilt of a sword can be detected.

"The spider kisses ask for a dance? If so I am ready to dance with them. You may call me Harper for now should you wish my skills. I can offer a few skills that many find useful?
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Lothir snickers at the lewd comment from the paladin. "Well met, Talwyn. Any port, you say? You sound like one of the old salts from back home. As for my House, if you really wish to know, it is called E'Terrin'dar, but I would just as soon forget it."
He turns to the newcomer, quietly assessing whether he is a threat. Or one of his father's agents come to retrieve him. Neither prospect is appealing- the latter being the less desirable. Harper? He wonders if that is the other's name, or profession. Or perhaps an affiliation. "Harper- would that be reffering to THE Harpers, perchance? If so, vendui, abban linthar. It's been a while since I was in the company anyone who spoke my native tongue."
He looks over at Talwyn again. "I belive I WILL have a bit of the wine, thank you."
He takes a quick sip- never can be too careful of poison, even this far from home- and decides it's safe enough. "Looks like it's just us three, then. Bloody small for a ball, you ask me, but Hells, I've been to worse."

Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

I smiled wryly at Lothir as I passed him the bottle.

“I suppose you could indeed call me an old salt. Tantras is a port city and I spent a couple of years as a marine with our navy hunting pirates and protecting merchant shipping. This is how I learned that little bit of wisdom from the sailors who I served with.”

I glanced over at the newcomer and nodding in greeting.

“Harper is it? Well met then. I was enjoying your playing right up to the point till that guardsman came blundering in blathering to all and sundry about Lothites.” I rolled my eyes and shook my head. If the constabulary wanted to keep this quiet, they’d chosen badly in their way of recruiting for the mission. It was obvious that the guard didn’t know that the speed of rumour is the fastest thing in the universe. Nevermind, no use crying over spilled ale.

I turned back to Lothir and passed the bottle to Harper.

“You’re spot on Lothir with your assessment. With only 3 that hardly makes a ball. Hells, it’s barely a dance at the local pub! Still, the fewer of us the greater the glory and honour earned for us once we return victorious from the battle. We have a saying in the Golden Lions, “Who Dares Wins”. Gentlemen, we shall dare and we shall triumph,” I said with serene and absolute conviction.

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Lothir blue eyes look to you as you speak of The Harpers.

"i have head rumors of such a group, however I an not a member. I have no Haper pin, should such exist. Indeed right now it appears to be three, however that might not be a bad thing with strikes to weaken those foes."

In reply to Talwyn with a smile, Taking a sip from the bottle passes, then passing it on. "I was also upset about the interruption, one gets fewer gifts when a song is not completed. Speaking of money the guardsman promised coin and a portal.. We are ready, does he hope of another?"

OOC: Rooky, post *S*
Rooky
Legend

Post by Rooky »

OOC: Sorry, something came up.

The door to the tavern opened an in came Rooky, pissed as usual. She made her way to Talwyn, cursing a few patrons, and pushing some poor sod out of the way.

The barman made his way to her favourite bottle but she gave him a silent "pass, on bussiness."

"Of course, let's use the heavyest armored jolly-boy we find...it's a scouting mission Talwyn, not a three minute war. Who else is with you?" she gave him a short glare;
"You know that you cut my vacation short. I'll get to that on a later note. Come on, they want us back at the barracks."

She turned to leave, but saw them sitting and happily drinking away their wine;

"NOW. MOVE."
Talwyn Aureliano
Lord||Lady

I looked up as Rooky barged in with her usual lack of grace and elegance, giving me a surly glare. It was not a very potent one this time, probably 4 out of 10 on the How-pissed-off-is-Rooky scale. I treat her demenour and surliness as mild form of entertainment these days as it's pointless taking offense at her - she'll only get nastier. It's sort of amusing in a way as its so predictable. The strange thing about her though is that she is a very lovely woman to behold, perhaps some would say even beautiful when she isn't in her werewolf form mark you. Now when she's like that, her visiage will turn your piss cold inside of you when you see her in her true form. Even when not transformed though, she is possesed of such an internalised rage that is almost palpable. It is as though she has a repulsion field around her. Maybe it's her curse of Lycanthropy that makes her so misanthropic? One day no doubt someone will discover her secret and if the gods are feeling REALLY benevolent, the discoverer may live long enough to tell someone else what they've learned.

"Oh hello there Rooky. May I say how radiant you are looking today. The sunlight really catches those highlights in your hair just perfectly." I smiled at her in a relaxed fashion. She stopped and stared for a moment, her eyes narrowing as she was not certain if I was making fun of her. I held up my hand to forestall any outburst of her anger.

"I'm telling the truth Rooky, you really do look nice today. Remember, Torm is the True god and thus despises all lairs." I added nonchalnatly with a merry twinkle in my eyes. I was being truthful but I also know it iritates her and I like being cheeky. I know I'm playing with fire but life would be dull if you didn't take the occasional risk like teasing a werewolf with true and valid compliments.

"Anyway, I'm quite capable of traveling quietly. Just because I'm in full armour doesn't mean I can't move quickly and reasonably silently too. It's not all clang and bang with full plate. And what's wrong with a 3 minute war eh? You know that really seems absolutely perfect to me. In and out: kill all the bastards we find then back home for medals and ale. Sounds like a plan to me." I said in a cheery tone as I followed the irate werewolf woman to the barracks.

"Come lads, lets follow her quick smart." I said to the two drow lads who were finishing off the Sembian red between them.

I strode off after Rooky not looking to see if the others were following.

Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

"Ah, right behind you. Or better yet, right behind HER!" The young drow chuckles, eyeing the way her rump moves as she strides out. Far be it from him not to notice an attractive female. Well, unless it happens to be Morganna. THAT is one female he would never find attractive, no matter how physically comely. Half-sister or not, a deranged sadist with delusions of godhood is NEVER enticing. Especially one with a habit of carving up her lovers afterward.

He shakes his head at the thought, wondering why he's even thinking of his demented sibling at all. He follows the other two out, toward the- barracks, was it? Lovely. A bunch of rough men with equally rough ideas of fun. He sighs, wishing his evening hadn't been cut short.

"So Talwyn, You hunted pirtaes? A pity you were in Tantras- you'd like as not have had fine sport of it where I come from. I happen to come from a pirating family- ahem, mind you, I've never been one myself- but my father and his men are rather notorious back home. Nothing worse than a drow who's decided to take his bloodthirsty ways out onto the sea to terrorize the merchants. Personally, I prefer more- ah, pleasurable pursuits, if you catch the meaning."

He gives the paladin a sly wink, ignoring the disgusted look from the woman. A bit of a stiff-stick, that one, he thinks. Then again, the surly ones often had a wild side behind closed doors, in his experience. Hmm...

Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Post by Bhaern Quel »

Sings softly, a new tune _Off to the barracks we go_

"Off to the barracks we all go,
to learn about the common foe.

We follow our leader with trust,
though the portal off we must.

Off to the barracks we go."

Follows Rooky in order to find out more about this scouting mission, however clearly mindful of the comments made by Talwyn and Lothir.
Rooky
Legend

Post by Rooky »

[i:2cdiolh2]A crazed paladin, some kid in his diapers, and a bard...thank the gods I won't be sticking around for the duration of the mission...

Although I do wonder how long I'll let the kid live...[/i:2cdiolh2]

When one things drow barracks, one thinks something dark and vile. These were far from anything one would think.
It wasn't a simple block of stone, wood and hay, but it wasn't neither the glaring black building, filled with simple minded trolls inside.
It was quite nice to look at really.

The four waltzed in. The Bard being a bard, the two OTHER people who shall not be named, and a now gloomy faced thing-that-shall-as-well-not-be-named.

The partyof guards and soldiers inside, greeted them happily, offering drinks, a few words of praise, and a dew brave fools attempted to send a few comments, but a glare put them in place soon enough.

The captain of the guard greeted them, a large man of half-human heritage (as you're not quite sure what the other half was), but he was big.
A broad smile was across his cheeks as he handed you the orders. Partially he was mocking you that you're going, and partially because you were lucky enough to be chosen (or volunteered for yourselves) for the job.

"There isn't much to tell, appart what the guard told you when handing you in the orders. Here is merely a simple map of the terrain.
You're well aware Cloackwood is filled with portals, so that's why we've sent Rooky with you. She's been over the planes three times over, and is familiar with them. Which doesn't mean she won't leave you in some unpleasant place, over which I have no authority. In any case, once you're out of the wood, you need to make your way down to the caves. From what we heard, a good 10 feet from the entrance the ground gets messy; rumours have it the cave's full of spiders so watch your step.

After you make your way inside, take heed that you need to make as little noise as possible; it's preferable to just get in, count them, take note of anything countable as dangerous, and get out as quick as you can.

I did, amongst other things take into consideration the complex of the caves itself, and found someone familiar with them. Follow the road that leaves away from the caves, more south, and you'll come to a small town. The guide will wait for you there. I take it you were already given the proper amount of money?"

"We were told to take it before we left."

"Very well, I'll give it to you know. Take what you need, and make your way to there. Good luck.
And Blackwood...I counted three. I remembered their faces. I'll KNOW if one is missing."

He glared at her...well...glared up at her, droped the money on the table, and returned to his card game.
There were several supplies on the table right next to them; a weapons rack, three potions for each member, and some misc. objects.

OOC: misc. objects counts as stuff you write that you may need, i.e torches, flint tinder, and some such.
Aylstra Illianniis
Legend

Lothir scowls, a little disappointed. "That's it then? Somehow I thought we'd be doing more than taking a head-count. Ah, well. A job's a job, I suppose. Better than the last one I took, at least. Three weeks of serving as a ship's windsinger during the calm season- ugh, by the time we reached port, I was so hoarse I could barely talk. Never thought I'd get tired of singing, but there's only so many times you can sing the same d@mned sailor's shanties before you want to put a spike through you own ears...."

He picks up his share of the pay, some rope, and a torch and three potions. Everything else he needs is already in his pack or eleswhere on his person. His lute, which he never goes anywhere without, his trusted blades tucked away in his boots, a spare set of clothes- more suitable for traveling than the extravagent silks and velvet he currently sports(mostly to charm the ladies), and a few various useful items like spell components, minor tools, and the like.

He waits for the others to pick up thier supplies, and cautiously moves over to the woman Rooky. "My Lady, please forgive the comment earlier- I sometimes tend to let myself get a bit over-enthusiastic. Allow me this small token of apology." He smiles and gives her a slight bow, and waves a hand with a few simple arcane words- and a white rose appears in it, which he holds out to her expectantly.