A question regarding a charachter.

When you want to ask out of character questions, discuss plots, talk about roleplaying or simply present your character’s bio, this is the place to do so. Small OOC bits may be accepted in the roleplaying forums, but this is the place for the larger posts. Do keep the topics related to the roleplaying however, otherwise go to the General Discussion forum.

Moderators: Shir'le E. Illios, Bhaern Quel

Delvaro
Regular

A question regarding a charachter.

Post by Delvaro »

Well, i have been thinking about creating a new charachter but i wanted to know if my new charachter can be a dragonborn.

i heard a lot of rants and complaints about dragonborn and their sheer power of awesomness (is that a real word?) and them being too powerful to exist. so i want to know whats your opinion and can i use the dragonborn.

Answer quickly! doesnt matter if it is a spam post or an answer for me :D
Bhaern Quel
Demigod

Re: A question regarding a charachter.

Post by Bhaern Quel »

[quote="Delvaro":2703vpg3]Well, i have been thinking about creating a new charachter but i wanted to know if my new charachter can be a dragonborn.

i heard a lot of rants and complaints about dragonborn and their sheer power of awesomness (is that a real word?) and them being too powerful to exist. so i want to know whats your opinion and can i use the dragonborn.

Answer quickly! doesnt matter if it is a spam post or an answer for me :D[/quote:2703vpg3]

You can make any character you want, if you want a warforged, dragonborn, lich, vampire , Jedi master you can make such a character. You can make a mutated rabbit as well.

There are no rules about what cgaracter you want to play, there are no rules about where you want to play, you can play on Eath, in the realms or on Mars. You can play any time period 550 DR, 5000 BCE or 203658.

The rules are to present something that will be fun for all players, the caution is the more exotic a character, time, location or theme the less likely you will get others to join the RP.
Play should be balanced as well one character should not be all powerful compared to others (this does not prevent having an NPC that is all powerful if it does not over power the PCs).

The rule is making a fun Role Play, this is all that matters.
Delvaro
Regular

Post by Delvaro »

yes indeed i agree. but a lot of players on the net say that the dragonborn are too powerfull even with weak equipment and low level... but i will heed to your advice. thank you very much :P
by the way, am i allowed to have more then one character here?
Shir'le E. Illios
High Priestess
High Priestess

Post by Shir'le E. Illios »

[quote="Delvaro":2ivtnpbq]by the way, am i allowed to have more then one character here?[/quote:2ivtnpbq]
Sure. I don't see why not. Just... try not to make it too confusing. ;)

Love -x-x-x-

Shir'le
F'sarn natha tithaur wun l'su'aco.

-= Shir'le E. Illios =-
Chosen of Eilistraee
Delvaro
Regular

Post by Delvaro »

what can be so confusing about a dragonborn? he is 7 feet tall with big muscles scaly skin some sharp teeth and he carries a big sword/hammer/dagger/club/hellbard/lute.
Agmasek
Maid
Maid

Post by Agmasek »

As an alternative, for consideration if you like, I believe Millek (aka Sariss) mentioned using this template for his character, to me. Are a variety of hybridizations either as a result of shape-shifted mixed breeding, or magical influences that altered standard races into peculiar sub-races. Examples being: Fireblood Dwarves (Red Dragon), Silverbrow Humans (Silver Dragon), Forestlord Elves (Green Dragon), Deepwyrm Drow (Deep Dragon), Stonehunter Gnomes (Copper Dragon), Glimmerskin Halflings (Gold Dragon), Sunscorch Hobgoblins (Blue Dragon), Viletooth Lizardfolk (Black Dragon), and Frostblood Orcs (White Dragon). Each of these without exception, are essentialy very much alike to their base humanoid race, however some of the benefits of the base race are sacrificed, in exchange for different benefits.

Millek's Sariss for instance, gains water breathing, an acid bite, Move Silently as a class skill, regardless of class, and a constitution boost, however isn't as physically strong as other lizardfolk, so trades all this for a racial strength penalty.

If you're interested, the D&D 3.5 Exapnsion book, Dragon Magic explains these, or you can simply ask me about one, and I'll give you the run-down on the benefits and penalties.
Delvaro
Regular

Post by Delvaro »

well if you wish so you can show me the benefits and penalties but i was interested in the dragonborn. are they a sub-race or a base-race? and what benefits does a dragonborn recieve and penalties he have.
Agmasek
Maid
Maid

Post by Agmasek »

According to the Races of Dragon Handbook, a dragonborn, is not in fact originally born that way. These are ordinary humanoids to start, who are specially marked and chosen, by Bahamut himself. He calls to them in a dream, 'asking if one's heart and soul are able and willing to undertake dedication to a noble and arduous purpose -- protecting the world from the spawn of Tiamat.' Normally this dream occurs in adolescence, however sometimes is not heeded until early adult-hood.

Should the chosen accept, they make many many sacrifices, including abandoning all connections to their former identity, they also abandon all interest in romance, or sexual relations, many traits from the original race are lost, others are kept.

Prerequisites are: Any Non-evil and an intelligence Score of at least 3.

There is a ritual that consists of 24 hours of meditation and fasting, followed by 24 hours of sleep. If interrupted it must be restarted from the beginning. Also require creation of an artificial egg, requiring 100 gold and a handfull of scales from metallic dragons to create.

[center:krm02ggb](All RP and basic background of becoming a dragonborn aside....)
(And the following information is a long read, so brace yourself)[/center:krm02ggb]

Racial Traits gained from the transformation are:
+2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity
Species becomes Humanoid (Dragonblood)
Age: After the rebirth the dragonborn emerges as an adult.
+2 dodge bonus to AC against creatures of the dragon type.
Immunity to Frightful Presence
Draconic Aspect: A blessing from Bahamut which allows for a variety of draconic traits, 1 of which is chosen upon rebirth, once chosen it cannot be changed:

--Heart: Gain a breath weapon; a shining line that coruscates with every metallic color. Length is 5 feet per HD the dragonborn has, up to 100 feet at 20 HD. Damage is 1d8 plus an extra 1d8 for each 3 HD the dragonborn has. The damage can be acid, cold, electricity, or fire, changing with each use as the dragonborn chooses. A Reflex save of DC 10 + 1/2 the dragonborn's HD + the dragonborn's Constitution modifier, halves the damage. Use of the breath weapon requires the dragonborn to wait 1d4 rounds between each use.

--Mind: Gain immunity to paralysis and magic sleep effects, darkvision out to 30 feet, and low-light vision, plus a +2 racial bonus on Listen, Spot, and Search checks.
At 6 HD Darkvision extends to 60 feet.
At 9 HD Darkvision extends to 90 feet, and low-light vision allows sight out to three times as far as a human's sight in shadowy illumination.
At 12 HD Darkvision extends to 120 feet. Low-light vision allows four times human vision in shadowy illumination.
At 15 HD Gain a Blindsense out to 30 feet.

--Wings: Gain fully formed wings, which grant +10 bonus racial bonus to Jump checks, and can also be used for gliding. At 6 HD they become capable of being used for actual flight.
Gliding travels 20 feet forward for every five feet of descent, and cannot hover while gliding. Cannot glide while carrying a medium or heavy load either. If the dragonborn becomes unconcious in midair, their wings naturally unfurl and powerfull ligaments stiffen them. descending in a spiral, and taking 1d6 points of falling damage, regardless of the distance.
Flight at 6 HD allows for flight at 30 feet with average maneuverability and can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load, or while fatigued or exhausted. Can safely fly for consecutive rounds equal to Constitution modifier (minimum of 1). This can be doubled but will become fatigued from the exertion. Likewise, the dragonborn is fatigued by spending more than 10 minutes per day flying. However, using gliding between rounds of actual flight can extend how long one stays aloft.
At 12 HD, the dragonborn has enough stamina and prowess to fly without tiring. Flight speed and maneuverability remains the same, and requires no more exertion than walking or running.
A dragonborn with flight can make a Dive attack that works like a charge, and requires 30 of forward movement to descend every ten feet, and con only be performed with a piercing weapon. If it hits, it deals double damage.
A dragonborn with flight can also use the Run action in flight, provided they fly in a straight line.

Automatic Languages: Draconic
Favored Class: Fighter

What is retained from the original race:
Your original race and any subtypes, along with gaining the dragonblood subtype,
Racial HD; you retain your original racial HD, as well as benefits gained therefrom (base attack and save bonuses, skill points, hit points, etc.)
Original racial ability modifiers, and gain the modifiers of the dragonborn race.
You retain your original racial size and build.
You retain your base land speed, as well as any other modes of movement possessed by your original race, however those such as a dwarf's ability to move at full speed in medium or heavy armor are lost.
You retain any languages you already know.
You retain your original favored classes, and gain fighter as another favored class.
Retain original racial Level Adjustment.
All other racial traits are lost including bonus feats, skill bonuses, attack bonuses, save bonuses, spell-like abilities, and so forth.

--Feats gained through a human's nonspecific bonus feat, are lost, unless they're the prerequisite for another feat already possessed.
--If your original race granted bonus skill points you should deduct the appropriate amount of points from your skills. Which skills are affected are your choice.

The loss of racial traits may mean no longer qualifying for a prestige class, feat, or other feature. In general, you lose any special ability for which you no longer qualify, and gain nothing in its place, with two exceptions:
-- If you no longer qualify for a feat due to the transformation you lose the feat and immediately select a new feat to replace it, for which you qualify, You must also replace any feat for which the lost feat was a prerequisite.
--If you no longer qualify for a prestige class, you lose the benefit of any class features or other special abilities granted by the class. You retain HD gained from advancing in the class, as well as any improvements to base attack bonus and base save bonuses that the class provided. If you later meet the prerequisites for the class, you regain the benefits.

Special: Ordinarily only a 1st Level character can select certain feats requiring a the dragonblood subtype. However, upon becoming a dragonborn you can elect to replace one (and only one) of your existing feats with one of these feats. A character can not have more than one of these feats. The feat to be replaced cannot be a prerequisite for any prestige class, ability, or other feat.

((Obviously most of this information is not relevant to Free-Form RP, but I figured best to be accurate, than misinforming. In short, Dragonborn are a race, but they are not a race in and of themselves, as any non-evil humanoid race with a minimum intelligence of 3 can become one. Having no room in their lives for romance or intimacy, they themselves never reproduce, even though they're fully capable.))
Agmasek
Maid
Maid

Post by Agmasek »

As a personal recommendation. If your base race hasn't that many abilities worth investing in, dragonborn may be a good way to go, but if for instance your base race is a drow, I would strongly suggest a Deepwyrm Drow, over Dragonborn. For them the following changes apply:
Dragonblood subtype
Spell-like abilities: 3/day--detect magic; 1/day--disguise self. Caster level is equal to character level.
Lose the power to use faerie fire ability.
+2 racial bonus on Bluff and Diplomacy checks.
+2 racial bonus on Will saves against spells and spell-like abilities.

These are drow that are essentially hybrid children of drow and Deep Dragons that assume humanoid form as drow. Their skin usually has maroon or purple highlights, and have a sinuous build.

((Likewise, they may obviously also have good familial relations with a whole bloodline of deep dragons. Or at least that's the silver lining that I see in it.))
Delvaro
Regular

Post by Delvaro »

Well, actualy i never played any D&D games in my life :(
I grew up in a place where it wasnt very much popular, if not know at all. the only way i ever role played is like here in the forums .
thanks for the info anyway even though i think that i wont need it much :P

well i found this: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonborn

i noticed that not all dragonborn grow wings and develop fire-breath and they vary with hight and sizes. and they also dont do the reborn-thingy you explained to me :P